• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 will force automatic updates and installs on Windows 7/8 Home Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't mean shit to me. I do a ton of work in full screen applications as well as long gaming sessions. If the warning steals window focus and forces me to dance around the 'Wait 4 hours to restart' bullshit that is completely unacceptable to me.

It won't disturb you, nor reset the PC in the middle of what you are doing. When an update finish downloading it will auto schedule to a time where you are not using the PC (and that is a moving target if you extend your usage).

pestul

Well the W10 readiness updates themselves already caused bsods on one of my 3 upgrading machines. Last year the same happened to my main gaming desktop. I'm glad system restore works so well at least, but this could be a headache for a lot. I'm at least glad that security overall should improve.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest issue is updates that brick or are malignant in some way. They better ensure that the update is glitch free and all that jazz.

LoveCake

As long as installing the updates doesn't mean the need to restart after updates, seems to have become more frequent recently.

Do you have the option to choose between the 32-bit & 64-bit versions of Windows 10?
Keys work for both versions since vista BUT it requires a fresh install to switch between the two. You can not upgrade from 32 to
64bit versions. You'll need to do a fresh install.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-cumulative-update-causes-reboot-loop-havoc-for-some-users/

Windows 10 cumulative update causes 'reboot loop' havoc for some users

The problem, in a nutshell, is that the update puts affected systems into an endless crash loop. The update tries to install, gets to a certain point, fails, and then displays the unhelpful "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing the changes."

If it stopped there things wouldn't be too bad, but because Microsoft now forces updates onto Windows 10 users, the OS kept trying - and failing - to install the update, which in turn placed the system into a periodic crash/reboot loop that put quite a dent in my productivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom