• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 will force automatic updates and installs on Windows 7/8 Home Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched but didn't come up with any threads on this topic. The article is a few days old but I thought people should know before they decide to upgrade.

More annoyingly, perhaps, Microsoft has also changed how updates will work with Windows 10. Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available.

So if you are a home user of Windows 7 or Windows 8 who upgrades to Windows 10 with the free update, you will no longer have the option to not download updates or to wait and install them when you want. I personally dislike having forced updates. I hate how the OS will force you to stop what you are doing and reboot. Luckily, I have Windows 8.1 Pro so I won't have to worry about this when I upgrade. I typically leave automatic updates off and update when it is convenient for me. I often leave stuff/work open on my desktop and it sucks when you come back to your pc and see that Windows decided to restart while you were away so that it could install new updates.

Microsoft explains what you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10

Here's another article from Forbes.
'Free' Windows 10 Upgrades Kill Priceless Windows 8 And Windows 7 Features

pswii60

So if you are a home user of Windows 7 or Windows 8, you will no longer have the option to not download updates or to wait and install them when you want.
Of course you have the option, you have the option to purchase a pro license of Windows 10 instead of going down the free upgrade route. Or staying with Windows 7/8.

Aeonin

I've heard of people being unable to use Unity3D on Windows 10 preview, so I definitely do not want.

tariniel

Sounds mildly annoying. As long as I can continue to postpone infinitely I don't think it will be that bad.

gaugebozo

I spend lengthy amounts of time away from my computer while doing calculations. I've had a scare or two coming back to see a restart was imminent. This would probably make me go full Linux.

smurfx

get some go again
you'll probably be able to turn it off by changing your registry. maybe somebody will make some app that allows you to turn it off.

MultiCore

This is great, because people never update enough and complain when their machines get compromised.

I'll be using pro, so I'm good.

This really is "for the good of us all."

If you don't trust Microsoft, what are you doing running Windows?

Ashhong

Does this include Home Premium?

I still don't understand how they are going to distribute these copies of 10 to users. Linked to MS account? Give us a key?

DarkFlow

Banned
The horror of having a up to date system! Do you really want to skip updates and become a bot net?
Also W10 Pro let's you control updates if you really do want to be a bot net.

cameron

Should be on by default, but needs an option to disable. Along with the auto-restart issue, I'd prefer to wait a bit on updates to see if there are any reported quirks. Like some day one .NET security update breaking specific software.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Why the hell would you not want the updates? Because of forced reboots? Update reboots can be postponed for hours and days, absolute worst case, you can finish your work and then reboot.

Forced updates sound good to me.

jett

D-Member
Of course you have the option, you have the option to purchase a pro license of Windows 10 instead of going down the free upgrade route. Or staying with Windows 7/8.

So, the only "free" version that Microsoft is offering of Windows 10 is the home edition?

Good. People never updating windows is a colossal security hole and hurts everybody.

I agree. I have had automatic updates for as long as I can remember in 8.1. They don't even force you to restart computer against your will anymore. They simply schedule the installs that need restart to the next computer restart.

So, the only "free" version that Microsoft is offering of Windows 10 is the home edition?

No. If you have a Home edition of 7/8/8.1, you get Win 10 home. If you have Pro, you get Pro.

There's a chart out there that breaks down the various specialized versions.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why the hell would you not want the updates? Because of forced reboots? Update reboots can be postponed for hours and days, absolute worst case, you can finish your work and then reboot.

Forced updates sound good to me.

I agree, it makes sense, Professional is for people who are professionals. So they might not want a specific update for whatever reason. Meanwhile regular Joe user might hear that "Them updates are bad!" and disable them leaving him open for all kinds of nasty attacks.

I honestly think that's a good idea. It's going to puts off some people who prefer to have control over every thing on their pc but its for the greater good.

Home users usually don't know what to do with computers anyway. Many computers I've seen at relative's houses and even at the schools I work at haven't been updated since windows was installed from the factory. Shame on the it department in my city. I think it's good because most people don't even pay attention to their antivirus so whatever Microsoft antivirus has preinstalled will lower the chances of casual users getting malware and viruses. Many people just expect their computers to work and can't be bothered by the details. That's why so many malware apps thrive because people have conditioned themselves to close nag popups and ok everything to get back to whatever they were doing.

I think you'll still have power over restarts and when things are downloaded through schedulers but that's the drawback with scaled back home. It's not gimped because of this, just a bit more inconvenient for semi power users.

I'm sorry for all you guys out there that have home licensees. It's time to go pro. Just for hyperv and bitlocker alone it's worth the upgrade. I guess there is a catch to free after all.

NotBacon

Eh, only if their update system has been drastically improved. Windows updates are a shit show. Intrusive, slow, require reboots, more updates after reboot, slow, freezing, updating without my permission........ the list goes on.

If they are fixing their update system to be more like Linux (fast, painless, no nagging, rarely needs reboot) then this should be fine. If not.......

There is a "map" of who gets what version. Windows 7 starter, home, home premium -> Win 10 home. Win 7 professional & Ultimate -> Win 10 Pro. Win 8.1 -> Win 10 home. Win 8.1 Pro, pro student, Pro WMV -> Windows 10 pro. Windows phone 8.1 -> Windows 10 mobile.

zychi

Banned
Is Microsoft going to pay for the data cap overages too? What about when an update screws up and has a vulnerability in it? That would be swell.

What about if you have a non-genuine Windows 7 Pro?

Then you get non-genuine Windows 10 pro. Which (from what I understand) basically functions like regular Windows, except it occasionally bugs you about getting a license.

They really, REALLY want everybody on 10. And they also want people to keep their machines updated.

Hopefully they put a way to stop the auto reboots. Lost some stuff with that the other day.

Shouldn't selecting "Notify to Schedule Restarts" in the Update advanced options take care of that?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds problematic considering Microsoft botches updates multiple times a year. Plus if this automatically installs all updates and not just important ones that means it is probably also going to install Microsoft's "recommended" updates, including software you may not want (Bing junk, Skype, etc).

Alchemy

You can schedule the restart time. It won't do it without warning you.

Doesn't mean shit to me. I do a ton of work in full screen applications as well as long gaming sessions. If the warning steals window focus and forces me to dance around the 'Wait 4 hours to restart' bullshit that is completely unacceptable to me.

Zhengi

Probably a good decision since more than 90% of home users are probably computer illiterate and would function better with an updated computer rather than one infested with viruses and malware.

I made up the 90% figure. I don't actually know how many PC users are computer illiterate

Thread title and tone of the OP makes it sound like Win10 is going to break into the house of anybody using Win7/8 Home edition and change their Automatic Update settings.

Doesn't mean shit to me. I do a ton of work in full screen applications as well as long gaming sessions. If the warning steals window focus and forces me to dance around the 'Wait 4 hours to restart' bullshit that is completely unacceptable to me.

Well then sucks to be you, I guess. Gotta keep your machine up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom