• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 will force automatic updates and installs on Windows 7/8 Home Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm Win 10 looked laggy on that surface pro 3 on the vide on the verges site.

Won't be upgrading personally at least for a while.
I see no benefit. Win 8 is great on sp3 and touch ie 11 is so good.
Don't want to lose that.

SID 6581

For Win7 users like me:

If you have the Windows 10 infomercial icon in your taskbar and want to remove it, follow these steps: ::::Make sure Windows is updated first::::

1. Right click on the task bar and select Start Task Manager.

2. Click on the Processes tab.

3. Find GWX.exe, right click and choose End Process. Close Task Manager.

4. Now go to Windows Update (click on the Start Orb, then All Programs and you'll see it.)

5. On the left side click on View update history

6. At the top click on Installed Updates

7. Find KB3035583 it's usually marked as Important.

8. Right-click KB3035583 and Uninstall.

9. Go back to Windows Updates and click Check for Updates on the left.

10. Click on the 1 important update available.

11. It's KB3035583 again. Right click and choose Hide update.

12. Done!

i have literally never declined an update. had a few fail installing and i just googled and eventually hid them, but i'm on 8.1 pro so this won't effect me. i guess i can see how it might for others though in some cases

DarkFlow

Banned
Knowing that this is GAF and all, and I mean this sincerely, I have to assume that the many people posting how great this particular announcement is for *everyone* are either using windows a) in an IT professional function or university environment, and as such see these things constantly and are inured to their effect or b) also fill the Day 1 Patches threads with similar happy thoughts about how mandatory updates are god's work.

Bot-Net zombie dreams must keep you awake at night

Or maybe, just maybe we don't have an irrational fear of updates and can spare the min it takes to restart our computer.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Or maybe, just maybe we don't have an irrational fear of updates and can spare the min it takes to restart our computer.
If you think it's an irrational fear you don't have a very good understanding of the history of Windows Updates.

DarkFlow

Banned
If you think it's an irrational fear you don't have a very good understanding of the history of Windows Updates.

Can you please point me to one of these so often mentioned but rarely seen updates that wrecked windows? Most of the time if windows fucks up it's because of A) user error (like people who fuck with registry cleaners), or B) Hardware failure.

Frostburn

As someone who works in the security field I don't see a problem with this. This is for clueless people who's computers are always filled with viruses and part of a bot network. Anyone in the professional field or power users (Using Pro) will still be able to differ if they want to. Microsoft has a better track record then Apple lately when it comes to deploying patches without affecting software or the Core OS negatively. It will just keep average consumers safer in the long run.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm not sure I even want Windows 10. MS can fuck right off.

Just disable the windows update service? I also thought I read the updates are supposed to be seamless without restarts.

Bsigg12

Just disable the windows update service? I also thought I read the updates are supposed to be seamless without restarts.

There are some that do require a restart but the system will schedule it for a time you don't typically use your device.

The most recent build of the preview of 10 has been pretty awesome.

hitmon

It will be pretty interesting when/if they release a patch that breaks future updates like KB3004394 back in December 2014.

sensi97

Problem is the updates don't always work.
You can be stuck in a 'forced update >> reboot >> failed to update / rollback >> forced update' loop like I'm experiencing since april with their IE11 update KB3038314/KB3049563 (and I don't even use IE).

For Win7 users like me:

If you have the Windows 10 infomercial icon in your taskbar and want to remove it, follow these steps: ::::Make sure Windows is updated first::::

4. Now go to Windows Update (click on the Start Orb, then All Programs and you'll see it.)

12. Done!

That thing registers your PC for your free Win10 upgrade. Removing it doesn't seem like a good idea unless you don't want your free copy of Win10.

Tevious

That's my biggest complaint about Windows. All the fucking nagging to restart and install updates. I'll do that shit on my own time, Microsoft, so fuck off! If I remember correctly, I even turned it off in the settings and somehow still got nagging prompts to restart and had to look up some workaround to finally make it stop. I just don't understand why they need to do restart nagging. I think a simple notification in the system tray to remind you to restart at your own convenience would be sufficient enough.

Anyway, I'm glad my Surface Pro uses Windows 8.1 Pro so I'm eligible for Windows 10 Pro. That would have been a deal-breaker for me. My desktop PC uses Windows 7 Home Edition, but I only use that PC for gaming and other tasks that require more processing power, so I don't care about only getting Windows 10 Home on it.

Can you please point me to one of these so often mentioned but rarely seen updates that wrecked windows? Most of the time if windows fucks up it's because of A) user error (like people who fuck with registry cleaners), or B) Hardware failure.

Mar 2013 - KB2670838

http://www.winbeta.org/news/botched-update-kb2670838-windows-7-resulting-bsod-microsoft-working-fix

Nov 2013 - KB2862330

http://www.infoworld.com/article/26...0-triggers-bsod-0x000000d1-or-0x000000ca.html

Aug 2014

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...to-uninstall-blue-screen-of-death-update.html

Druz

For Win7 users like me:

12. Done!

11 steps, and yet all you actually have to do is

1) Click small arrow
2) Click customize
3) Select "Hide notifications and icon"

I know people are gonna cry and whatnot, but most decent PCs (The ones using Core i5 and up processors and have decent specs) are Pro. This mostly affects cheapie PCs like my mom's 200 dollar Acer. People with cheap computers tend to not know how to avoid viruses and malicious code. I'm not against this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The horror of having a up to date system! Do you really want to skip updates and become a bot net?
Also W10 Pro let's you control updates if you really do want to be a bot net.

Oh come on. Delaying updates suddenly doesn't make you a botnet. Your browser is the most likely thing that'll make you a botnet.

The Abominable Snowman said:
I know people are gonna cry and whatnot, but most decent PCs (The ones using Core i5 and up processors and have decent specs) are Pro.

zYgUArV.gif

Hardware != OS/Software, bro.

Drifters

This will be fine. Power users already have a Pro version so this will just help the ma and pa computers. This channel also helps test adoption rate and failures for us Pro and Enterprise customers so good on MS if you ask me.

Oh come on. Delaying updates suddenly doesn't make you a botnet. Your browser is the most likely thing that'll make you a botnet.

zYgUArV.gif

Hardware != OS/Software, bro.

His statement still isn't wrong. Most people don't know what they have but they usually don't cheap out on licenses so if you have a pretty decent laptop it's pretty safe to assume you have pro version. You're not getting an ultrabook and then having Home installed on it. He never said software = hardware.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This will be fine. Power users already have a Pro version so this will just help the ma and pa computers. This channel also helps test adoption rate and failures for us Pro and Enterprise customers so good on MS if you ask me.

Not necessarily, since Windows 7 Pro didn't really offer any significant advantages over Home Premium compared to previous versions.

And Windows has defaulted to automatically downloading and installing updates for years now so nothing changes for "ma and pa computers." The issue is that they are arbitrarily removing the option to have control over how your system is updated.

blamite

So it's the same as 8 then? I already regularly get forced, un-postponable restarts to install updates I don't care about.

Critical updates are fine to force. People not wanting critical security updates because "I hate rebooting its unacceptable" boggle the mind. I don't think it would start shovelling all the optional stuff down on you. If it does, that part needs to change, but definitely critical updates should be forced.

That's fine, but how many good updates did they put out in the same timeframe? Overall they do a pretty solid job with their patches.

"I don't want to install this fix for a known exploitable vulnerability, because the patch might have a bug in it! You know what they say... 'better the bug that you know'...". Insanity! I've got one Windows system in the house and everything else is Linux, I'd never dream of leaving my Windows box unpatched ;)

Critical updates are fine to force. People not wanting critical security updates because "I hate rebooting its unacceptable" boggle the mind. I don't think it would start shovelling all the optional stuff down on you. If it does, that part needs to change, but definitely critical updates should be forced.

That's fine, but how many good updates did they put out in the same timeframe? Overall they do a pretty solid job with their patches.

"I don't want to install this fix for a known exploitable vulnerability, because the patch might have a bug in it! You know what they say... 'better the bug that you know'...". Insanity! I've got one Windows system in the house and everything else is Linux, I'd never dream of leaving my Windows box unpatched ;)

He asked for examples and I provided them.

I do have automatic updates turned on. But I also like to have an option where the updates are downloaded and I have to give my permission to install them. I would rather take the risk of being unprotected for the two days I need wait to see if there are reports about issues with the update. You might consider it a foolish risk, but it should be my option.

Alchemy

So it's the same as 8 then? I already regularly get forced, un-postponable restarts to install updates I don't care about.

I use 8.1, my updates aren't forced. The log in screen informs me I have updates I can download and install and I can choose to do that whenever I want. It is pretty much ideal.

Drifters

Not necessarily, since Windows 7 Pro didn't really offer any significant advantages over Home Premium compared to previous versions.

And Windows has defaulted to automatically downloading and installing updates for years now so nothing changes for "ma and pa computers." The issue is that they are arbitrarily removing the option to have control over how your system is updated.
By "significant" are you stating that domain membership and encryption aren't? Pro always had what Microsoft knew was the best version of Windows to cover all sorts of scenarios. To my point tho, removing the option of deferring updates will work better for the home versions as it gets rid of the zero-day exploits that MS has in their ecosystem. That said, Pro users are usually savvy enough to know which updates to cherry pick to keep safe.

All in all, this strategy makes sense for their platform moving forward.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Am I missing something, because OP's thread title makes no sense. It isn't forcing you to update to Windows 10 with an automatic update. Windows 10 Home user's have to get automatic updates (which sucks in and of itself since I've had updates crash my computer before). Pro user's can opt out of the automatic updates.

You are losing some features that some may find useful but it's mainly fluff.

So if you are a home user of Windows 7 or Windows 8, you will no longer have the option to not download updates or to wait and install them when you want.

If you upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 7 and 8 aren't affected.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Critical updates are fine to force. People not wanting critical security updates because "I hate rebooting its unacceptable" boggle the mind.
It's not rebooting in and of itself. It's rebooting when windows wants you to reboot. And you must tell it within a certain amount of seconds to fuck off for a while, but it'll keep coming back. Why there is no "Fuck off until I tell you I'm going to bed then do whatever the fuck you want" option I do not know, other than to piss people off and encourage them to shell out a hundred bucks for a pro edition they don't need. I think the risk of 10-14 hours without the update probably isn't going to be life and death for the majority of people who actually care about not rebooting the computer right that damn minute.

It's not rebooting in and of itself. It's rebooting when windows wants you to reboot. And you must tell it within a certain amount of seconds to fuck off for a while, but it'll keep coming back. Why there is no "Fuck off until I tell you I'm going to bed then do whatever the fuck you want" option I do not know, other than to piss people off and encourage them to shell out a hundred bucks for a pro edition they don't need. I think the risk of 10-14 hours without the update probably isn't going to be life and death for the majority of people who actually care about not rebooting the computer right that damn minute.
I think that behavior was gone with Windows 8. Nowadays a message appears that Windows has pending updates, and if you don't install them then, after some days there will be a notice (I think in the lock screen) that the next shutdown or restart will install those updates.
I'm pretty sure those notifications don't appear since then, as I don't remember any since I updated my laptop to Windows 8 back in 2012.

Problem is the updates don't always work.
You can be stuck in a 'forced update >> reboot >> failed to update / rollback >> forced update' loop like I'm experiencing since april with their IE11 update KB3038314/KB3049563 (and I don't even use IE).
Now that's the real problem, I think an update killed my Vista install in an older laptop I had, so I needed to reinstall the OS.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Apple lets you say "Remind me Tomorrow".

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I hate windows update. Always wants to download during the day when you're doing things that use the internet. Australian internet is garbage enough without having windows update leeching it all during the day.

I hate windows update. Always wants to download during the day when you're doing things that use the internet. Australian internet is garbage enough without having windows update leeching it all during the day.
Windows 8.1 and 10 both have settings to control downloads and data transmission for metered internet connections. It's not that bad but I sympathize with your kneecapped internet in oz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom