• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 will force automatic updates and installs on Windows 7/8 Home Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

I've only done the major updates like SP1. Those small updates often took too long and one time crashed my PC so I ended up having to reinstall the OS.
This is a really bad practice, you're missing a whole lot of security fixes.
Seriously, no joke, go to your machine and install all critical updates ASAP.
Run some malware detection program after that.

SyNapSe

Auto installing updates is fine, auto-restarting is not especially when they do that annoying "will restart in 10 minutes unless you specifically tell me to stop" garbage. However, I've not had that happen to me ever on Windows 8.1. I don't even know if it happens anymore. It only happens to me on Win 7. Assuming this is the case, then this is fine.

Yeah, my Windows 8 and now upgraded to 8.1 machine has been on auto-update forever. It's far less painful than the old system. It doesn't do the updates and then continually prompt you that it's time to reboot.

I'll logon one morning and the screen will say you're computer will need to restart in x number of days. If I don't do it myself, it does it when the computer goes into sleep mode (?). It seems to always happen overnight.. it never interferes with my ability to use it.

Caayn

Oh, I thought it meant that it will force the download (in the background), and next time you boot up your computer it will install it.

Yeh that sounds annoying
The least you could do is read the last few posts before posting in a thread.

Windows update:
  • Won't randomly shutdown your machine
  • You've got THREE DAYS for Windows to reboot.
  • If you've got Windows 10 Pro or higher you can take back all the control you want.
  • Won't give you aids.

Angst

Question

When upgrading does W10 keep hold of some docs and apps from your old OS/hardrive and transfers it to your new OS?

In my experience everything will be transfered to Windows 10. But it's always a good idea to sync your personal documents to a cloud backup service. You should be doing this regardless of your plans to upgrade.

Chichikov

Question

When upgrading does W10 keep hold of some docs and apps from your old OS/hardrive and transfers it to your new OS?
If you choose to upgrade all your docs will stay where they are and your installed apps should continue to work.
Even if you choose a clean install you can fairly easily migrate your personal files, but desktop apps will be have to re-installed.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft has the Insider program and flight rings which will greatly help weed out issues like this. If something isn't a critical fix needed to be pushed out immediately, it could potentially wait to be in the next OS update. That OS update will then go through the process the preview builds are going through. MS internal -> Insiders on Fast ring -> Insiders on Slow ring -> Public

Is this new? I certainly hope we see an improvement in the quality of updates if they are going to be forced on us. Microsoft usually doesn't fix what they break within 72 hours.

I'm surprised more people are upset about "What if I don't wanna restart?!?!" than the fact MS could (temporarily, usually) screw your computer with a botched update. Especially if we don't have the ability to go back and uninstall specific updates - ridiculous as removing that option seems, it doesn't seem any more ridiculous to me than removing the option to hold off on updates.

moojito

I'm guessing this still uses windows update service as normal, so a cheeky wee hosts file amendment, something like windowsupdates.microsoft.com 127.0.0.1 would probably do a job disabling them if nothing else works.

Chichikov

Is this new? I certainly hope we see an improvement in the quality of updates if they are going to be forced on us. Microsoft usually doesn't fix what they break within 72 hours.

I'm surprised more people are upset about "What if I don't wanna restart?!?!" than the fact MS could (temporarily, usually) screw your computer with a botched update. Especially if we don't have the ability to go back and uninstall specific updates - ridiculous as removing that option seems, it doesn't seem any more ridiculous to me than removing the option to hold off on updates.
When the last time that an update broke your machine?
And really, do you go and research individual updates?
Like every single one?

Do like read the KB, wait a week and see if people complain?

I'm a software engineer, I do this shit for a living and even I can't be fucked with this (though I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky, I have all of my machines on automatic update for over a decade and I don't think I was ever screwed by it).

Ptaaty

This is fine...I am still pissed about no WMC.

I need a combination which uses cablecard/silicondust and gets the guide data....this is the setup I use in 3 rooms in my house.

lednerg

I'm okay with this, especially regarding security updates. If this is a big deal for you, then you're exactly the type who should look into upgrading beyond the Home edition.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
This is fine...I am still pissed about no WMC.

I need a combination which uses cablecard/silicondust and gets the guide data....this is the setup I use in 3 rooms in my house.

I need a replacement for windows media center TV as well. You should start a thread asking for recommendations!

ayeorkean

Guess I've seen too many windows updates, bsod to think this is a good idea. Hopefully this backfires, would hate to see this become a thing. Having tried Win 10 there is no compelling reason to upgrade, will continue using 7 until eol.

Guess I've seen too many windows updates, bsod to think this is a good idea. Hopefully this backfires, would hate to see this become a thing. Having tried Win 10 there is no compelling reason to upgrade, will continue using 7 until eol.

:lol It was EOL at the beginning of this year...

The reason my laptop is still on Windows 7 is a huge annoyance in 8 and 8.1 - constant disconnects from a VPN/RDP connection to work. At best, it disconnects a couple times a day, at worst, a couple times a minute. I've looked for a solution to no avail, including messing around with call times in the registry (that's been awhile, so I don't remember the details). This doesn't happen with Windows 7 at all.

I've had to roll back the occasional update because of it actually making it unable to connect, so yes, my updates are set to manual. I have to at least check and see what it wants to update before I allow it to. The desktop is 8.1 Pro, so I'm covered there. I don't really like losing Media Center, though.

Eh, I guess I can see why people wouldn't like this but I really don't care. I can see why they do it, every person in my family never installs any windows update or even really know what they are.

j-wood

You are are aware that windows lets you schedule automatic updates right? So to everyone complaing about a forced reboot interrupting them...schedule the updates for when you typically sleep. Problem solved.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

End of extended life support is January 14, 2020.

It was never extended, it was EOL. All that one you're looking at is for majorly critical updates to security. They have ceased all other functions with windows 7 though. That's what everyone considers EOL.

You are are aware that windows lets you schedule automatic updates right? So to everyone complaing about a forced reboot interrupting them...schedule the updates for when you typically sleep. Problem solved.

Except you don't even need to schedule. If you've actually used their OS you know that it just saves them now and has for years until the next restart. Windows 7, the one everyone mindlessly clings to, is the only one to suck in that regard.

I saw that Verge "article" on Facebook a few days ago. It was trash clickbait that just spread misinformation.

People thinking this is a radical departure from the way Win7/8.1 did updates and "forces" them on you is just baseless FUD.

FyreWulff

Good, people not updating is a large cause of most botnets even being possible and computer issues. I also have any Ubuntu installs auto-update.

This is the way Win8 shipped by default for everyone that bought a new computer, anyway.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
When the last time that an update broke your machine?
And really, do you go and research individual updates?
Like every single one?

Do like read the KB, wait a week and see if people complain?

I'm a software engineer, I do this shit for a living and even I can't be fucked with this (though I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky, I have all of my machines on automatic update for over a decade and I don't think I was ever screwed by it).

I was affected by the one that caused BSODs related to USB driver updates, think that was last year. There was also the update that screwed up the screen while playing games a couple years ago.

Why the hell would you not want the updates? Because of forced reboots? Update reboots can be postponed for hours and days, absolute worst case, you can finish your work and then reboot.

Forced updates sound good to me.

Because some updates have been known to cause critical issues? Also you may be playing a game that requires perfect latency (dota 2) and suddenly have a 500 mb file downloading in the background?

Windows 7 users are the new crazy XP user's.

In the last ten minutes I've had to reconnect 8 times to work because 'the connection has been lost.' If I had known I'd be having this much trouble, I would have stayed on 7. My only hope is that it is fixed in 10.

Can i get some help? What would be the best way to back up about 1 terabyte of data? I don't want to wipe my computer and have never upgraded OS before.

Hip Hop

In the last ten minutes I've had to reconnect 8 times to work because 'the connection has been lost.' If I had known I'd be having this much trouble, I would have stayed on 7. My only hope is that it is fixed in 10.

The connect has been lost to what? That's not really an issue with the OS. It's more on your end there.

Windows 7 users are the new crazy XP user's.

Pretty much. It's getting annoying at this point.

The connect has been lost to what? That's not really an issue with the OS. It's more on your end there.

I use Remote Desktop via a VPN to access my work computer. Ever since I installed 8 (on any computer), the connection drops out constantly. The only variable is how often it happens. It is perfect on Windows 7, even when 7 is on Wifi and 8 is wired.

I've tried various fixes and theories, thus far to no avail. I just tried the latest thing I've found, perhaps it will work.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=windows+8+rdp+session+drops

No universal solutions at this point. It's unfortunate. I'd probably be able to get a better handle on it if IT at work was competent and willing to share details of hardware and software. Using 8 via wifi isn't even an option with this service, it is an immediate disconnect each time, which is why the laptop has stayed 7.

DarkFlow

Banned
I just find it amusing that all the problems people had with 8 ( that are now addressed) and they still find a reason to bitch about upgrading.

Ptaaty

I need a replacement for windows media center TV as well. You should start a thread asking for recommendations!

I think I saw one awhile ago...(or reddit?) all I know is there wasn't anything that did it. Basically set top box and streamers have exploded and everything can do it...but nothing handles TV with encrypted channels except WMC.

https://www.silicondust.com/support...i-use-the-hdhomerun-dual-plus-with-on-windows

I mean this is absurd - if I knew anything about software coding, etc, this is a prime area right for the picking. WMC has always had some limitations (lack of support for amazon prime and many other holes in plug ins) but it worked. I would assume someone could fairly easily recreate current set top boxes then integrate a channel guide /DVR. My guess is the big hurdle would be developing the metadata infrastructure to provide the channel data, still its done (see TiVo, etc)

I highly doubt that MS will actively prevent a way from disabling automatic updates through the registry or something similar.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I think I saw one awhile ago...(or reddit?) all I know is there wasn't anything that did it. Basically set top box and streamers have exploded and everything can do it...but nothing handles TV with encrypted channels except WMC.

https://www.silicondust.com/support...i-use-the-hdhomerun-dual-plus-with-on-windows

I mean this is absurd - if I knew anything about software coding, etc, this is a prime area right for the picking. WMC has always had some limitations (lack of support for amazon prime and many other holes in plug ins) but it worked. I would assume someone could fairly easily recreate current set top boxes then integrate a channel guide /DVR. My guess is the big hurdle would be developing the metadata infrastructure to provide the channel data, still its done (see TiVo, etc)

Oh man, this sucks. I thought Kodi was going to replace it for me, but it can't record? damn damn damn.

This might actually make me hold off on the upgrade for a bit.

Skux

As long as it doesn't update programs I want to use the older versions of. The latest Skype versions are awful.

Well, I'm at two hours with the hotfix I installed, so perhaps I can stand down about my only real Windows 8 complaint. I hope this holds.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
this change just shows how many people even on gaf dont use the windows update schedule feature.

people saying but what if im in game an it starts updating. schedule the update to when your normally sleeping.

what about it wanting to restart my pc ? well thats one of the shitty features your lovely windows 7 has and windows 8 and windows 10 dont

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom