• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 will force automatic updates and installs on Windows 7/8 Home Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the hell would you not want the updates? Because of forced reboots? Update reboots can be postponed for hours and days, absolute worst case, you can finish your work and then reboot.

Forced updates sound good to me.
It's not necessarily about not wanting the updates, it's about choosing when to install them.

There was an update just a few months back that screwed with fonts and they didn't fix it for a week or two. You either had to deal with assy fonts for that time or uninstall the particular update that broke them. A savy user can avoid stupid stuff like that by not having auto-updates.

Is Microsoft going to pay for the data cap overages too? What about when an update screws up and has a vulnerability in it? That would be swell.

Windows Updates aren't amazingly huge downloads. If you torrent all the way to just under your data cap and then Windows installs a necessary update to patch a serious vulnerability and puts you over your cap, that's on you. I have no problems with forced updates for Home users, because not updating Windows is one of the biggest security problems for that OS today.

DarkFlow

Banned
Is Microsoft going to pay for the data cap overages too? What about when an update screws up and has a vulnerability in it? That would be swell.

gTd8rCB.png

You'll be fine.

Doesn't mean shit to me. I do a ton of work in full screen applications as well as long gaming sessions. If the warning steals window focus and forces me to dance around the 'Wait 4 hours to restart' bullshit that is completely unacceptable to me.
Then stay on 7 or whatever you got till DX12 drops. I don't think this is going to be changed by people who rarely look at their desktops.

Auto installing updates is fine, auto-restarting is not especially when they do that annoying "will restart in 10 minutes unless you specifically tell me to stop" garbage. However, I've not had that happen to me ever on Windows 8.1. I don't even know if it happens anymore. It only happens to me on Win 7. Assuming this is the case, then this is fine.

Elija2

'Free' Windows 10 Upgrades Kill Priceless Windows 8 And Windows 7 Features

If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.

THE HORROR.

Also I'm pretty sure most of those removed features were removed in Windows 8 so I'm not sure why the article is acting like those omissions are new to Windows 10.

As for the auto-update stuff, as long as they don't force us to reboot our computers all the time then I don't mind. I'm on Windows 8 and I haven't been hassled to restart my computer in ages so I dunno if I disabled that annoying prompt or if they already got rid of it.

Kozak

Banned
I'm cool with this.

I think its positives far outweigh the negatives, especially considering the computer illiteracy of most users.

bms2993

Banned
Well that's pretty annoying. Maybe they will reconsider once enough people complain about their work being destroyed due to a restart.

THE HORROR.

Also I'm pretty sure most of those removed features were removed in Windows 8 so I'm not sure why the article is acting like those omissions are new to Windows 10.

As for the auto-update stuff, as long as they don't force us to reboot our computers all the time then I don't mind. I'm on Windows 8 and I haven't been hassled to restart my computer in ages so I dunno if I disabled that annoying prompt or if they already got rid of it.

Dunno, how bad are the new versions of Minesweeper and Solitaire?

Also

In fact if it sells this advertising space (there’s no indication it will) this could also be worth millions

Forbes*

contributor

Ooh, I was under the impression that non-genuine users are upgraded to a full version of 10, key and all. Hm..might have to buy some cheap copies for my extra computers now then.

No there was initial confusion about this but they clarified it pretty fast. It just means you'll be allowed to update through MS officially instead of downloading an additional pirated version of Win 10, but it will still be non-genuine.

I've been excited about Windows 10 in general but the last week or so has made me nervous. I am on Windows 7 Professional (retail) and the lack of any clear news of how the licensing with Windows 10 will work has made me think I'll wait a few months to see how everything pans out. I also see no path announced for a fresh install. Will upgrading to 10 convert my retail license to an OEM key? Now there's all of this news coupled with the malware-like-behaviour of that stupid KB3035583 update (which was a pain to clean out).

The horror of having a up to date system! Do you really want to skip updates and become a bot net?
Also W10 Pro let's you control updates if you really do want to be a bot net.

Good. People never updating windows is a colossal security hole and hurts everybody.

Why the hell would you not want the updates? Because of forced reboots? Update reboots can be postponed for hours and days, absolute worst case, you can finish your work and then reboot.

Apple, Google and MS have of course proven beyond doubt over the last three years that they release fully tested updates with no big bugs or issues. Such updates also have never caused older devices to perform more sluggishly or break completely.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My updates download automatically, but they usually wait until I turn off the computer myself to install, with no annoying warnings at the bottom of the screen. As long as it's the same thing in Windows 10, i don't care.

bms2993

Banned
No there was initial confusion about this but they clarified it pretty fast. It just means you'll be allowed to update through MS officially instead of downloading an additional pirated version of Win 10, but it will still be non-genuine.

Ah, well that's resonable I think.

DarkFlow

Banned

You would have to be pretty dumb to upgrade a pirated copy directly. "Hey Microsoft, I'm going to connect to your server and let you know I'm using a pirated copy, don't mind me!"

Ashhong

I knew it was too good to be true that they would give licensed copies to everyone lol..

Ran rp

Windows keeps wanting to install display drivers that break my cards. If I can't ignore them then I'm fucked. Went through hell the other day trying to reinstall my older drivers after updating to 8.1.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't care about it getting all the updates since I do that anyway, but it's the forced rebooting that irritates the fuck out of me.

I've been excited about Windows 10 in general but the last week or so has made me nervous. I am on Windows 7 Professional (retail) and the lack of any clear news of how the licensing with Windows 10 will work has made me think I'll wait a few months to see how everything pans out. I also see no path announced for a fresh install. Will upgrading to 10 convert my retail license to an OEM key? Now there's all of this news coupled with the malware-like-behaviour of that stupid KB3035583 update (which was a pain to clean out).
If it works just like the Windows 8 upgrade, your Windows 7/8 key would be converted to a Windows 10 key when you upgrade. After the upgrade is finished you can do a clean install (or reset) from within Windows 10 itself.

win10reset0iuwt.png

We don't know if they will have ISOs available for those who upgrade as well.

PSY・S;166491356 said:
Windows keeps wanting to install display drivers that break my cards. If I can't ignore them then I'm fucked. Went through hell the other day trying to reinstall my older drivers after updating to 8.1.
This is a reasonable excuse. Rolling back drivers isn't hard but it also shouldn't be your only option if windows thinks the newest whql driver is the best for you when you know it's not. I thought driver updates were optional unless you tell windows to update everything. In this case it's problematic.

For people who want to update whenever they feel like it, Microsoft has an operating system for those people, It's called Windows 7. :p

Doesn't mean shit to me. I do a ton of work in full screen applications as well as long gaming sessions. If the warning steals window focus and forces me to dance around the 'Wait 4 hours to restart' bullshit that is completely unacceptable to me.

This idea that patches will irrevocably ruin your life is exactly the type of attitude that has forced Microsoft to take this stance. People put off patching indefinitely and end up becoming zombies in a botnet.

PSY・S;166491356 said:

I doubt that forced patching will include Optional updates but that is a valid concern.

This shit makes me want to go back to Linux permanently. All of the major Linux distros that I have used handle their updates better than Windows does. Everything is nice and neat through the update manager.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This idea that patches will irrevocably ruin your life is exactly the type of attitude that has forced Microsoft to take this stance. People put off patching indefinitely and end up becoming zombies in a botnet.

Hasn't Windows Update defaulted to automatically downloading and installing updates since at least Windows 7, if not earlier? People savvy enough to change their update settings most likely know what they are doing. The problem here is the removal of options.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Fucking MS. If you've ever had a windows update wreck your entire o/s and then fail the rollback, and I have, you'll understand the need to let everyone else beta test the updates for you.

DarkFlow

Banned
Fucking MS. If you've ever had a windows update wreck your entire o/s and then fail the rollback, and I have, you'll understand the need to let everyone else beta test the updates for you.

I've been using windows since 3.1, I have never had a update wreck my system.

Eh... Home version? Must updates are security patches and definition updates. Probably for the better.

But yeah slightly annoying if auto restarts are a thing. Go for Pro if it's such a problem.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Go for Pro if it's such a problem.
Microsoft charges $95. I see a "OEM for Refurbished computers" key on Amazon for $65 that I would only hope upgrades to Windows 10.

Either way, seems pretty damn expensive for the simple feature of not forcing you to reboot your computer any time it pleases.

Valnen

I can see why they'd do this. A lot of people open themselves up to security issues by not updating their windows.

Kansoku

Oh shit. I have a Win 7 Home Premium (OEM), but I'm pretty sure I have access to a Pro version trough Dreamspark. Is there any way to easily upgrade my 7 to Pro (and then upgrade to 10 pro)?

Oh shit. I have a Win 7 Home Premium (OEM), but I'm pretty sure I have access to a Pro version trough Dreamspark. Is there any way to easily upgrade my 7 to Pro (and then upgrade to 10 pro)?
The Anytime upgrade program in windows handles that no prob. Yes.

KarmaCow

It's not necessarily about not wanting the updates, it's about choosing when to install them.

There was an update just a few months back that screwed with fonts and they didn't fix it for a week or two. You either had to deal with assy fonts for that time or uninstall the particular update that broke them. A savy user can avoid stupid stuff like that by not having auto-updates.

Yea there was an update that broke the onscreen keyboard and took a while to fix too. I use it when I browse on my TV, like right now. It's a minor issue but I gain nothing from forced updates.

You'll be fine.

I can understand how this works on mobile devices does it determine this for non-cellular connections?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Probably a good decision since more than 90% of home users are probably computer illiterate and would function better with an updated computer rather than one infested with viruses and malware.

I made up the 90% figure. I don't actually know how many PC users are computer illiterate

98-99, i'd guess.

drspeedy

Knowing that this is GAF and all, and I mean this sincerely, I have to assume that the many people posting how great this particular announcement is for *everyone* are either using windows a) in an IT professional function or university environment, and as such see these things constantly and are inured to their effect or b) also fill the Day 1 Patches threads with similar happy thoughts about how mandatory updates are god's work.

Bot-Net zombie dreams must keep you awake at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom