• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11…. Is it time yet?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Windows 11 got it's first (what used to be called) "service pack" a few months back - 22H2. I've personally been using it at work and at home since Oct '21. No major issues. Performance with gaming is great, though probably equal to Windows 10. As usual, turn off as much telemetry and background stuff as possible for best results, though this applies to 10 as well as 11.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Go back to 7/8.1.
Just remember that support for these operating systems has ended, so if there's some sort of security hole that hackers find, Microsoft isn't going to fix it.

Telasoo

Neo Member
Just remember that support for these operating systems has ended, so if there's some sort of security hole that hackers find, Microsoft isn't going to fix it.

Except for the times they actually did.

They also sometimes publish security updates that are paid for by the US government that you can download from their catalog and install, it just wont come via Windows Update service.

No one should be using Win 7 or 8 though.

Pejo

Aren't legacy games reportedly unable to run natively in W11? I thought I remembered reading like the first Diablo wouldn't run, among other things.

Also - genuinely curious about this, does W11 still support x86 applications?

GHG

Go back to 7/8.1.

I wish.

lost matthew fox GIF

Knightime_X

I honestly haven't had any issues directly related to windows 11 since installing it.
In fact. for me, it has been even smoother than windows 10.

My pc met all requirements and I followed all instructions correctly.
Maybe I got lucky, but so far I'm really enjoying w11.

jshackles

Except for the times they actually did.

They also sometimes publish security updates that are paid for by the US government that you can download from their catalog and install, it just wont come via Windows Update service.

No one should be using Win 7 or 8 though.
True, though the ESU (extended support) for Windows 7 also just ended Jan 10th of this year. Windows 8 / 8.1 didn't get an ESU program. So even the US government isn't able to get support for these operating systems now, I would not expect there to be any further out-of-band patching happening.

Aren't legacy games reportedly unable to run natively in W11? I thought I remembered reading like the first Diablo wouldn't run, among other things.

I had a few REALLY old games that wouldn't launch in 11 (but worked fine in 10) when Windows 11 first launched. Took them about 2-3 months of Windows Update patching, then they were back to working as expected. The GOG releases also worked fine all along, we're talking 16bit apps here.

And yes, x86 applications run fine in Windows 11 as long as you're not running the special ARM version of the OS that's made for low power devices / tablets.

Pejo

I had a few REALLY old games that wouldn't launch in 11 (but worked fine in 10) when Windows 11 first launched. Took them about 2-3 months of Windows Update patching, then they were back to working as expected. The GOG releases also worked fine all along, we're talking 16bit apps here.
Cool. I'll load it on one of my laptops and piss around with it then. Probably won't put it on my main gaming PC just yet until I'm compelled by DirectStorage.

I had to help set up my boss's new Surface with W11 preinstalled and one of the first things we did was switch taskbar and start menu back to the classic style.

I dunno why MS keeps fucking with it, it didn't work out on 8, and I doubt it will work out in 11.
And yes, x86 applications run fine in Windows 11 as long as you're not running the special ARM version of the OS that's made for low power devices / tablets.
Ah, also good news. ARM version can go suck eggs anyways. Thanks for the info!

I_D

My work computer has 11. The computer itself might just suck, but there's one critical flaw in 11:
The search feature is fucking terrible. It takes absolutely ages to find even the most basic programs. And then, when it finally does, and you click on the program, it takes forever to open.

Meanwhile, all of my Windows 10 computers at home work essentially instantly when doing the same thing.
Otherwise, it's pretty much the same thing as 10 (and 7). The Apple-inspired start menu is a bit ugly, but you get used to it within just a few minutes.

Drew1440

Been fine so far, no major issues.

32bit applications are still supported (the steam client is still 32bit), what they dropped was 32bit editions, you need a 64bit processor to use Windows 11.
Games that rely on CD-ROM DRM may no longer work like SecuROM, those should have been patched out by now since that change occured in Windows 10.

If your still unsure you could always try in in a VM instead.

Been running it on my Steamdeck for months now. Works just fine.
You can change the UI to look and feel just like 10 with some work. right click menu and all.

jshackles

My work computer has 11. The computer itself might just suck, but there's one critical flaw in 11:
The search feature is fucking terrible. It takes absolutely ages to find even the most basic programs. And then, when it finally does, and you click on the program, it takes forever to open.

Meanwhile, all of my Windows 10 computers at home work essentially instantly when doing the same thing.
Otherwise, it's pretty much the same thing as 10 (and 7). The Apple-inspired start menu is a bit ugly, but you get used to it within just a few minutes.
This sounds like maybe just a problem on your work computer. For me, search is better / faster in Windows 11. Damn near instantaneous, especially when searching for programs.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I've had no issues apart from the task bar lacking a task manager shortcut and the sound menu lacking quick device swapping option but both of them were already solved already on updates. In fact, it fixed my Xbox app errors, there was nothing I could do, nor even fresh Windows 10 install in brand new drive, I still kept getting errors until I decided to just install Windows 11 and it fixed it like magic.

I'd like to use the Auto HDR option, I've seen there's a new official Auto calibrator software that calibrates it as the Xbox Series consoles do, has anyone tried it yet?

jshackles

iHaunter

Been on Windows 11 over a year now. Have literally had ZERO issues with it. Works great, love the UI, no complaints!

It has been fine for awhile. I have an old laptop with 10, and it's annoying to use now.

Like every single OS in mankind, you'll hate it for a month and then you won't ever think about it again.

Last edited:

simpatico

I accidentally update my work laptop and have been running 11 for over a month now. I'm not a fan. All the UI changes are to make it more mobile like. You have to dig further for options. The start menu is a big downgrade for sake of trying to look sleek. Basically it's made for the casual user with zero additions for the power user. The system clock doesn't even show seconds anymore when you click it. It's also constantly nagging you to sign in to your MS account and use OneDrive for everything.

If you know how to use Windows you won't have any problems finding the things you know, it's just obviously not made for you. At what point does MS accept that jazzing up the UI isn't going to sell PCs? If they steered into the power user market, I wonder if it would actually make people more excited. Ya know, the people who actually use your software intentionally. If you're a casual Windows user and want a flat new UI and rounded corners on everything, go for it. If you're a Windows power user, avoid it for as long as you can.

A.Romero

I built a new machine last month and decided to jump onto Win 11 and it has been smooth so far.

It might be related to the previous Win10 install was like 5 years old and I think it was an upgrade instead of a fresh install but it feels faster (it could also be related to the new hw).

The only issue I have found so far is that software that displays CPU workload doesn't show the correct CPU usage percentage.

I work and game on the same machine, btw.

Full disclaimer: I haven't had a major issue with Windows for a long time and I've been happy with 7, 8.1, 10 and now 11. I'm a Windows fan personally as it makes work activities pretty smooth with integrations to stuff like OneDrive.

YCoCg

Do you NEED HDR from PC? If not then Windows 10 is pretty much the same but better than Windows 11. If you DO need HDR though, Windows 11 handles it more accurately than the mess it is on Windows 10.

RickMasters

Probably will at some point this year. All the software I care about (pro tools, cubase, UAD and various other music production and sound design software suites and hardware) are all being optimised for W11, so Im gonna make the jump. Once I figure out how to enble TMP on my mobos (an ASUS Prime X299 delux MKII and aus prime Z390, both bought in 2019 with two fresh W10 USB installs. ) So far others I know have been ok with it. I always wait till I know other users have been OK with it before I make the jump. 2023 seems like a good time.

Top Bottom