• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Jzero

Paul's on a streak
this should have been there day one
fix8-shutdown.jpg
This is awesome and should of been there in the first place. Do want.

Ran rp

Is there a recommendation list of useful Win8 programs and customization tools? I was searching for one in the OP but it doesn't have one.

Edit: Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to disable driver signature enforcement but when I get to the advanced reset menu my keyboard become unresponsive.

Edit: Okay I had to reboot and do it again and it worked this time, and I was finally able to install my external sound card. Should I just leave dse off?

n64coder

Touchpad gestures are very nice to have. Not sure what you are referring to in regards to mouse movement being interpreted as swipes though. Charms bar or left bar corner and then up gestures?

Every so often, I get the clock showing up in the lower left corner. Not sure what action I'm doing to cause that to appear. I have a Sony Vaio S laptop that is 6 months old and I think it has a multi-touch pad but not sure. I would like to be able to bring up that clock in a more consistent manner. If anyone knows the correct gesture, let me know.

Zeppu

Anyone using Storage Spaces? I'm confused.

hLe2j.png

nkLxy.png

Yeah this happened to me. As you can see from the second pic, under storage spaces, you see that the drive is 3.62GB. That means that only two of your drives are assigned for space. The rest may be set to redundancy, parity or just not assigned to be used at all.

Press 'change' and take a screenshot and upload it.

Totakeke

Yeah this happened to me. As you can see from the second pic, under storage spaces, you see that the drive is 3.62GB. That means that only two of your drives are assigned for space. The rest may be set to redundancy, parity or just not assigned to be used at all.

Press 'change' and take a screenshot and upload it.

Hm? The total space should be 3.62TB. I am intentionally using Parity for a single drive failure resiliency. What is confusing to me is why is it generating a warning when in My Computer, I still have plenty of space left for the storage pool.

I can't press change anyway.

Zeppu

There should be a 'Change settings' button at the top which enables the rest of the controls.

Anyway, mine's on warning too at it's at 900GB empty. I think the storage spaces start bickering much earlier. Remember that your parity drive is considered 'full' at all times.

Totakeke

There are three drives. 3x2TB. But since I'm using parity mode, the amount of useable space is n-1, so 3-1, 2x1.81=3.62TB. That part makes sense.

I found the change settings button on the top you mentioned, but the only things I can change is the name, the drive letter, and the maximum storage space size anyway.

I guess there's something I don't understand about how Storage Spaces work. Here's my other pool.

OglkH.png

Ta9UY.png

JaggedSac

Every so often, I get the clock showing up in the lower left corner. Not sure what action I'm doing to cause that to appear. I have a Sony Vaio S laptop that is 6 months old and I think it has a multi-touch pad but not sure. I would like to be able to bring up that clock in a more consistent manner. If anyone knows the correct gesture, let me know.

Bringing up the charms bar will bring up the clock while u are on the start menu.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Ever since upgrading to Windows 8 I have a memory blue screen error about once a week, which I never had before on Windows 7. When the computer crashes my memory is not even at 50%. I checked the memory the other day and there are no errors. Not sure what the hell is going on.

Pooya

swiping from right edge of the touchpad toward the center brings up the charm bar and the on screen clock as a result.

do you have one of those Synaptics touch pads? (red icon in your system tray)

you can go into the touchpad properties and disable the Edge swipes if you don't like it, there is a video that shows how it works in the menu too, if you watch it you'll see that it's actually really useful and far better than using mouse. learn the gestures, they are very good to have on laptops and very easy really.

you need to have the latest driver from Synaptics website to have proper win8 gestures btw, the one on windows update is a year old. the one on their website supports win8 fully, released this October.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Ever since upgrading to Windows 8 I have a memory blue screen error about once a week, which I never had before on Windows 7. When the computer crashes my memory is not even at 50%. I checked the memory the other day and there are no errors. Not sure what the hell is going on.

Probably a bad driver, which is strange if you upgraded from Windows 7 64-bit.

I'd explicitly update all drivers to Windows 8 64-bit (particularly video). Otherwise, I don't know...install windbg and trace the stack dump to find the DLL to narrow it down? Maybe Windows 8 has more user friendly stuff.

Could be a legit Windows bug. I've seen bluescreens at work on 6+ year old computers.

SPDIF

PSY・S;45698153 said:
Is there a recommendation list of useful Win8 programs and customization tools? I was searching for one in the OP but it doesn't have one.

Edit: Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to disable driver signature enforcement but when I get to the advanced reset menu my keyboard become unresponsive.

Edit: Okay I had to reboot and do it again and it worked this time, and I was finally able to install my external sound card. Should I just leave dse off?

If you don't mind losing the extra bit of security that DSE provides then sure. Although if your sound card only works with DSE off I guess you don't have much of a choice.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You would only see that once. You make your choice and from then on it boots to where you chose.

Ah, ok, I can't read the small text, didn't realize it was a one time thing.

Clicking ≠ automatic.

See above, the only buttons I could read said "Go To Desktop" or "Continue To Start Menu" which both require a click, couldn't read the part where this is setting the default behaviour.

Victarion

I want to dual boot Windows 8 alongside Windows 7, I'm running the install from Win7, not from the boot menu and choosing the custom install, is this thing going to erase everything on my HDD or just the partition that I'm installing it on?

Installed this on my laptop yesterday, can't say I'm a big fan. It's like they wanted to make big changes but ended up half-assing them, so now we have a bastard OS that's somewhere in between Windows 7 and the new look they were going for. I figured the start screen would just replace the desktop entirely, and you'd open all your apps from there. I actually wouldn't have minded that. Having to go to the desktop for some, but not all, is just stupid and annoying.

It doesn't help that my laptop's Synaptics touchpad isn't working right. It'll occasionally just stop working, or barely register my movements. Just a few hours ago I lost the ability to scroll, and I have no idea how to fix it. It's been annoying me for a while, but with Windows 8 the problem just became way more apparent.

Installed this on my laptop yesterday, can't say I'm a big fan. It's like they wanted to make big changes but ended up half-assing them, so now we have a bastard OS that's somewhere in between Windows 7 and the new look they were going for. I figured the start screen would just replace the desktop entirely, and you'd open all your apps from there. I actually wouldn't have minded that. Having to go to the desktop for some, but not all, is just stupid and annoying.

It doesn't help that my laptop's Synaptics touchpad isn't working right. It'll occasionally just stop working, or barely register my movements. Just a few hours ago I lost the ability to scroll, and I have no idea how to fix it. It's been annoying me for a while, but with Windows 8 the problem just became way more apparent.

You can open anything from the start screen, just pin them. Desktop apps then run in the desktop though of course, if that's what you meant.

You can open anything from the start screen, just pin them. Desktop apps then run in the desktop though of course, if that's what you meant.

Yeah, but that just seems to defeat the purpose of the start screen, which I figured was a replacement for the desktop. It made sense that way. The way it's currently implemented is like the weapon menu in AC3: useless. I wouldn't mind having all the apps run over the start screen, and them ditching the desktop alltogether, if they're determined to go this route.

Yeah, but that just seems to defeat the purpose of the start screen, which I figured was a replacement for the desktop. It made sense that way. The way it's currently implemented is like the weapon menu in AC3: useless. I wouldn't mind having all the apps run over the start screen, and them ditching the desktop alltogether, if they're determined to go this route.

It's not a replacement for the desktop, it's a replacement for the start menu if you want to think of it that way, only much more customizable and capable of showing much more apps and information at once.

It is certainly Microsoft's intention to slowly phase out the desktop by people using primarily new apps. Although a bit odd at first using a collection of Metro and Desktop apps, I quickly got used to it, and despite the UI inconsistency, it just works for me.

dLMN8R

Why are they asking so much money for one app?

What? £40,000 is not a lot of money.

Software development is entirely people costs. People are expensive. Talented people with tribal knowledge about things like how to effectively and efficiently create an app like VLC are even more valuable.

£40,000 will barely support a few people working for a few months.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
guys is the lenovo yoga any good?

im really thinking about either the 11 or the 13 inch

11 is RT only so thats a horrible Idea..the 13 inch is full windows 8 so it isn't bad.
if you really just want an ultra book with touch screen sure why not.

Tho I've yet to use an IBM hardware device(consumer level)that I liked.

There a way to change the amount of screenspace apps take up when you're in half-screen mode? Kind of annoying you can only go 1/4 plus 3/4.

n64coder

swiping from right edge of the touchpad toward the center brings up the charm bar and the on screen clock as a result.

Yes, that's what happened.

you can go into the touchpad properties and disable the Edge swipes if you don't like it, there is a video that shows how it works in the menu too, if you watch it you'll see that it's actually really useful and far better than using mouse. learn the gestures, they are very good to have on laptops and very easy really.

you need to have the latest driver from Synaptics website to have proper win8 gestures btw, the one on windows update is a year old. the one on their website supports win8 fully, released this October.

Thanks for the tip. The driver was a year old so I pulled down the latest one. I have used the track pad edge to move the scroll bars up/down so it works well for that. I just hate the inadvertent swipes.

I think the problem is that the track pad on the Sony Vaio S is not centered between the hands when they're on the home keys. It is actually more to the right of center so I will get inadvertent swipes which annoy me.

Pooya

There is an update for minesweeper, now that I'm looking at the details it's like it downloads the entire 112MB game again for the update, 112MB is nothing but downloading the whole app for updates is pretty bad. I thought MS had delta updates?

btw, Is there a size limit for windows store apps/games?

Lynn616

VLC for Windows 8 / RT / Phone update.

VLC for Windows 8 team said:
Dear backers,

This evening, we crossed our goal of £40,000. Thanks again for your generous support and for allowing us to realize our project!

Any further money coming in will greatly speed up the availability of our port of VLC to Windows Phone 8, since it will allow us to parallelize the workload of the ports to Windows 8 / RT and Phone.

Furthermore, we would like to propose a few additional features, on which we will be working full-time after the initial release is done and as long as money is left:

camera input support — This allows you to record anything your connected cameras can see and to stream it live where ever you like.
DLNA client and server integration — Play media stored on DLNA capable servers on your Windows RT tablet or Windows Phone — Stream everything VLC can play on your tablet or Windows 8 PC to your DLNA capable devices (Xbox, ...).
integration with locally attached devices for media playback and synchronization
Smartglass support
Thanks again for all your feedback and your support. We are looking forward to go all-in on this project!

Jean-Baptiste & Felix for the VLC for Windows 8 team

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061646928/vlc-for-the-new-windows-8-user-experience-metro/posts

DLNA client and server, camera streaming and Smartglass support would be great.

Am I completely missing something here? Just got a Vaio T 13 inch Ultrabook, and the left to right edge swipe is driving me nuts since I keep accidentally switching between apps, but I'm looking in the mouse properties and there doesn't seem to be an option to disable edge swipes, or at least that specific one.

Jzero

What? £40,000 is not a lot of money.

Software development is entirely people costs. People are expensive. Talented people with tribal knowledge about things like how to effectively and efficiently create an app like VLC are even more valuable.

£40,000 will barely support a few people working for a few months.
Oh alright, that makes sense. I thought it as just one or two guys.

Pooya

Am I completely missing something here? Just got a Vaio T 13 inch Ultrabook, and the left to right edge swipe is driving me nuts since I keep accidentally switching between apps, but I'm looking in the mouse properties and there doesn't seem to be an option to disable edge swipes, or at least that specific one.

Synaptics?

capturehaj6s.png

update your driver first:
http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

you need the top one.
the one on Windows Update is a year old, useless. the driver your PC came with is probably old too.

gestures
http://www.synaptics.com/solutions/technology/touchpad
http://www.synaptics.com/solutions/technology/windows8

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hmmm. I need to decide whether I'm going to use Windows 8 on the new gaming PC I built or on my Retina Macbook Pro's bootcamp. Windows 7 is going on the other one.

Pooya

I think Windows 8 is still not supported for bootcamp, you can install it but some things like trackpad don't work due to lack of drivers. I wanted to do it myself with with my retina mbp but waiting now to see what happens.

edit: looks like it's fixed now actually.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I got this wireless keyboard, perfect for a htpc. Even built for windows 8. Has the charms buttons as well as the trackpad gestures.

Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400r

OverHeat

« generous god »
I got this wireless keyboard, perfect for a htpc. Even built for windows 8. Has the charms buttons as well as the trackpad gestures.

Got the same for my X51 love it except for the white on the back

I don't see charms buttons. We've had this keyboard for about a year and a half now. I don't think it was built for Windows 8 (not saying it's a bad keyboard - just clarifying).

n64coder

One thing I noticed is that I no longer have the edge scrolling gesture. That is, using a single finger along the right edge of the track pad. I looked at the track pad properties and it's enabled but yet it doesn't work.

Seems that the new driver update now shows how to do the various gestures in animated form. Cool. I don't remember seeing that before.

I'm using the two finger scrolling and I think I like it better that the single finger edge scrolling because I don't get the inadvertent scrolling.

Is there anyone who has used the Synaptics touchpad with the latest driver and the Apple touch pad? Are they equivalent or is the Apple one much superior?

n64coder

I have the K400 as well. It's not bad. I usually lay on the floor with the keyboard against my legs which seems to block the signal. I hate the right shift/control keys since they're too small.

I wish they made better HTPC keyboards. Not a lot of options out there.

Cross thread posting from WP8 thread. I hope someone here might be able to help,

I wanted to ask.... I'm on windows8 with the 920. I tried to access the phone's photo album via ACDSee but it's not allowing me. It showed that my phone has a block on it or something.... I used ACDSee when I had my iphone to export out my photos and organize them into different dates. But now I can't seem to do so.

I tried to use Adobe Bridge, but it's just a mess as it blindly takes all my media on the phone and sorts them out. Also it doesn't skip duplicates so I end up having multiple copies of same photos. I can't seem to find the option to specify what I want. I tried to search online for help, but not many places even discuss wp8 stuff at all.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom