• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

PG2G

Cross thread posting from WP8 thread. I hope someone here might be able to help,

I wanted to ask.... I'm on windows8 with the 920. I tried to access the phone's photo album via ACDSee but it's not allowing me. It showed that my phone has a block on it or something.... I used ACDSee when I had my iphone to export out my photos and organize them into different dates. But now I can't seem to do so.

I tried to use Adobe Bridge, but it's just a mess as it blindly takes all my media on the phone and sorts them out. Also it doesn't skip duplicates so I end up having multiple copies of same photos. I can't seem to find the option to specify what I want. I tried to search online for help, but not many places even discuss wp8 stuff at all.

Any ideas?

If you use the Windows Phone app it can be configured to automatically import images and videos to your PC. I always just sync everything to SkyDrive and my PC is setup for SkyDrive also, so everything is stored on my PC with no manual steps.

maeh2k

Currently doing an in-place upgrade (keep files, settings, applications) to Windows 8 on my parents' Dell Studio 15 (~4 years old). Hope it'll go well and I'm not going to regret this.

Jzero

Currently doing an in-place upgrade (keep files, settings, applications) to Windows 8 on my parents' Dell Studio 15 (~4 years old). Hope it'll go well and I'm not going to regret this.

You better have backed up important files or it's going to be your own fault.

Synaptics?

capturehaj6s.png

update your driver first:
http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

you need the top one.
the one on Windows Update is a year old, useless. the driver your PC came with is probably old too.

gestures
http://www.synaptics.com/solutions/technology/touchpad
http://www.synaptics.com/solutions/technology/windows8

Installed this, worked perfectly until now. The edge swipes stopped working when I booted today, and when I try to access my settings it tells me it can't access the drivers. Had this problem before I updated, too, so I dunno what's going on.

Hieberrr

Ugh this is so frustrating. My Lenovo IdeaPad z480 came with Windows 8 pre-installed and I didn't like it. I tried it for a few hours and it never clicked and just led to frustration. I want to get Windows 7 back onto it, but it doesn't use the traditional BIOS. How do I get Windows 7 back on this thing?

How does one actually get to Safe Mode now?

I'm going to be switching GPU brands and want to properly clean out the old drivers. Traditionally I'd do this with Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode, but I don't really understand how to get there now. Anyone wanna hold my hand?

hwalker84

Ugh this is so frustrating. My Lenovo IdeaPad z480 came with Windows 8 pre-installed and I didn't like it. I tried it for a few hours and it never clicked and just led to frustration. I want to get Windows 7 back onto it, but it doesn't use the traditional BIOS. How do I get Windows 7 back on this thing?

Give it a few more hours. The speed increase alone with Windows 8 is worth it.

Give it a few more hours. The speed increase alone with Windows 8 is worth it.

I've not noticed any speed increase at all.

Windows 7 was fast as hell on my SSD. Windows 8 is just as fast on my SSD. idk. In fact, I'd say Windows 7 + SSD on my MBP is faster than Win 8 + SSD on my PC desktop.

Mr_Zombie

How does one actually get to Safe Mode now?

I'm going to be switching GPU brands and want to properly clean out the old drivers. Traditionally I'd do this with Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode, but I don't really understand how to get there now. Anyone wanna hold my hand?

When you're in Win8, run msconfig. There's a "Boot" tab where you can set boot options (e.g. safe boot). You can also go to Charms -> Settings -> Change PC settings -> General and from there do advanced startup.

When you're in Win8, run msconfig. There's a "Boot" tab where you can set boot options (e.g. safe boot). You can also go to Charms -> Settings -> Change PC settings -> General and from there do advanced startup.

Huh. Cool thanks. Will need this tomorrow when the GTX670 pulls up. :D (and when the coffin for the 6950 is ready to leave :( )

I've got what I assume is a virus.

Windows said it was sharing via the homegroup even though I wasn't. And I can't access any of my folders with files in them.

Great.

Edit: Anybody understand this? I just noticed that I can follow folders down the hierarchy until I hit a folder with an image. Then it just loads for a while and crashes. This seemed weird. So I saved a .txt document in a folder that I wouldn't need access too "links" in the user folder. Then I changed the file extension to .jpg, sure enough, when I done this, the folder and explorer crashed. So there's something up with image files. What could this be?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I've not noticed any speed increase at all.

Windows 7 was fast as hell on my SSD. Windows 8 is just as fast on my SSD. idk. In fact, I'd say Windows 7 + SSD on my MBP is faster than Win 8 + SSD on my PC desktop.

I haven't noticed a speed increase while using programs or anything (and the newest version of itunes is way slower for me on windows 8 for some reason), but starting up windows is definitely faster.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Any reviews (Professional or Gaffer) on using Windows 8 up to this point? Is there a list of the recommended add ons? I saw the start menu one before and a couple of days ago I saw there was an addon for going straight to desktop.

If you use the Windows Phone app it can be configured to automatically import images and videos to your PC. I always just sync everything to SkyDrive and my PC is setup for SkyDrive also, so everything is stored on my PC with no manual steps.

Yeah I used the import images and videos option. But it just spits it all into one folder instead of seperate folders by dates. I also thought that straight from phone to skydrive would only upload my photos @ 1/2 resolution or is there a way to make it full?

Yeah I used the import images and videos option. But it just spits it all into one folder instead of seperate folders by dates. I also thought that straight from phone to skydrive would only upload my photos @ 1/2 resolution or is there a way to make it full?

Go into the photo settings and you can adjust the quality to full resolution for uploading to SkyDrive. You need to be on WiFi for it to sync your pictures if its set to full quality..

n64coder

It's a preference kind of thing. You may love it or you may hate it.

I have it installed on two of my laptops. It's ok. For regular computer users, there really are no compelling features to upgrade for.

I usually enjoy upgrading to the latest Windows releases and this one was sort of meh for me.

Mr_Zombie

Ah ok, I'll look up some videos and see what it is all about.

Videos aren't really good way to judge Windows 8, because as Jzero said, there are people who either hate the system, or love it. So depending on the person making the video, it might be biased one way or another. Not to mention, it's really all about the start screen and apps, so it's hard to say how useful it will be for you just by looking at videos.

If you have spare HDD or several gigabytes to waste, you can always download free 90-days trial from Microsoft and try the system yourself.

mavs

Or if you get stuck in a failed Windows Update boot loop, F12 is the new boot options key. Fucking Nvidia drivers doing their shit all over again with a new OS.

Edit: or maybe I just reset enough times that it finally figured something was fucked up and gave me an out.

Jzero

I finally got to try Windows 8 on a touch device and... holy Jesus it feels so right. Way better than having it on a normal desktop.

Srys question.

I just installed a new GTX 670 after dealing with about 2 hours worth of bullshit. All is working with the most recent driver, yet Windows is still insisting that there is another Windows Update for the Nvidia GPU. Is it safe to do that update, considering having 2 GPU updates/drivers were the reason for 2 hours of bullshit?

(this is apparently a Windows 8-exclusive issue, so I figured this is the best place to ask)

Jzero

Srys question.

I just installed a new GTX 670 after dealing with about 2 hours worth of bullshit. All is working with the most recent driver, yet Windows is still insisting that there is another Windows Update for the Nvidia GPU. Is it safe to do that update, considering having 2 GPU updates/drivers were the reason for 2 hours of bullshit?

(this is apparently a Windows 8-exclusive issue, so I figured this is the best place to ask)
Just ignore the one from Windows Update. Just hide it if it annoys you that much.

SPDIF

Srys question.

If everything is working correctly then I wouldn't risk it if I were you. I'd just hide the update.

Just ignore the one from Windows Update. Just hide it if it annoys you that much.
?

It's not an issue of annoyance. If you click the blue text in my comment, you'd have seen that Windows 8 was causing an unique Windows 8-exclusive issue where the screen goes black and the computer becomes unusable. I've never seen anything like it. Even the keyboard would just turn on and off after Windows loaded up (you could see the spinning balls, but the sign-in screen jumped to black). And because Safe Mode can't be entered the normal way anymore (thanks for that, Windows 8), I had to spend about 1.5 hours searching for a solution, after my own trial and error work. The solution ultimately being hard shutting down in the middle of starting up in order to force the option to go to safe mode, then uninstalling all the drivers, running driver sweeper, disabling my network adapter so that Windows didn't try to download and install the drivers for me again, and re-installing the drivers.

To say, "if it annoys you" is a fundamental misunderstanding of what I just went through to get this shit working. I don't want Windows to fuck up my ability to use this computer for another hour was the point. Anyway, during the time I was writing this, I tried to install the update (after setting a restore point) and Windows said it couldn't install it. The Help & Support for the error (0x80070103) is suggesting it is probably an old driver that Windows is trying to install over a newer one and actually recommends just hiding it, so I feel comfortable just hiding the update. Crisis averted for now.

If everything is working correctly then I wouldn't risk it if I were you. I'd just hide the update.

yep all seems to be well now. ty.

Jzero

?

It's not an issue of annoyance. If you click the blue text in my comment, you'd have seen that Windows 8 was causing an unique Windows 8-exclusive issue where the screen goes black and the computer becomes unusable. I've never seen anything like it. Even the keyboard would just turn on and off after Windows loaded up (you could see the spinning balls, but the sign-in screen jumped to black). And because Safe Mode can't be entered the normal way anymore (thanks for that, Windows 8), I had to spend about 1.5 hours searching for a solution, after my own trial and error work. The solution ultimately being hard shutting down in the middle of starting up in order to force the option to go to safe mode, then uninstalling all the drivers, running driver sweeper, disabling my network adapter so that Windows didn't try to download and install the drivers for me again, and re-installing the drivers.

To say, "if it annoys you" is a fundamental misunderstanding of what I just went through to get this shit working. I don't want Windows to fuck up my ability to use this computer for another hour was the point. Anyway, during the time I was writing this, I tried to install the update (after setting a restore point) and Windows said it couldn't install it. The Help & Support for the error (0x80070103) is suggesting it is probably an old driver that Windows is trying to install over a newer one and actually recommends just hiding it, so I feel comfortable just hiding the update. Crisis averted for now.

yep all seems to be well now. ty.
Jeez dude my bad, i wasn't trying to be a dick.

stktt

Banned
For those still looking for a good RSS app, try Discourse. Aside some occasionally bizarre formatting on image heavy articles, it's the best one I've used so far.

Haklong

Was just gonna ask how to add my music to Xbox Music when I figured it out (gotta turn on Windows Media Player).

Anyway, is anyone else disappointed that Xbox Music doesn't take more cues from Zune as far as UI? Pretty plain and ugly app.

I guess I was expecting something really good like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Zbo0kA_U-cY

and it's just...not.

edit: awwww it can't play M4A's? :-(

I know what you mean, Zune did a lot right and better than the Xbox music app. I purchased Music Info and that one looks like the app in that video. You can try it for free and see if you like it.

cbox

I'm having an issue with my w8 machine not sleeping. I put it to sleep from the key on my keyboard and it just boots back about a minute later. Thoughts? I have WOL enabled but I doubt that's it.

Pooya

I'm having an issue with my w8 machine not sleeping. I put it to sleep from the key on my keyboard and it just boots back about a minute later. Thoughts? I have WOL enabled but I doubt that's it.

must be an issue with a device driver that can wake up the computer,
bring up a command prompt as admin then:

powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

it will give you a list of devices than can wake up the PC, see if there is anything there that might be a problem. to troubleshoot go find them in Device Manager. Properties -> Power Management and uncheck the' allow this device to wake up computer' one by one to see what's the problem.

giga

Tried Pokki. It sucks. It has a delay when you press the win key and searching is not nearly as fast as the native W7/W8 search.

Top Bottom