• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Nero3000

OK installation failed on laptop for 8.1: (lost power when setting up user account)

Metro doesn't work at all - the start screen does but most applications don't including the PC Settings.

Anyone know how to initiate a refresh/reset with out the metro settings?

Desktop work fine.

SPDIF

OK installation failed on laptop for 8.1: (lost power when setting up user account)

Metro doesn't work at all - the start screen does but most applications don't including the PC Settings.

Anyone know how to initiate a refresh/reset with out the metro settings?

Desktop work fine.

Windows key + R to bring up a run dialog, and then typing "systemrestore.exe", without the quotes of course, should do it.

Although it seems to only give you the option to refresh instead of also being able to reset, but that should be good enough.

MCD

I really don't like the new snap. Now I have to drag to the left or right and then resize.

Why can't I do that with one movement?

Nero3000

Windows key + R to bring up a run dialog, and then typing "systemrestore.exe", without the quotes of course, should do it.

Although it seems to only give you the option to refresh instead of also being able to reset, but that should be good enough.

Thanks.

Although I reverted to a shift+restart to get to recovery mode and reset with a USB stick with ISO.

dLMN8R

Thanks, I feel quite silly!

You shouldn't. It's poor UI unnecessarily hidden away with no education or discoverability. RTM is improved in this area.

I really don't like the new snap. Now I have to drag to the left or right and then resize.

Why can't I do that with one movement?
The default snap size differs I think depending on what the app says it supports. The Win+Left/Right keyboard shortcut works with it too now.

MCD

I know about the shortcuts but it feels silly why I can't drag it from full screen to whatever I want in one move.

Must do it in two moves: one to snap in half and then drag the ... to resize it.

Nero3000

And a fresh install later, its semi-working now.

Although the desktop seems to crash when I open file explorer.

Installing update now....

EDIT: Grrr file explorer still crashing. It seems to be whne I go to my computer "this pc". Right clicking a file crashes file explorer. Even device manager crashes. Any help?

The default snap size differs I think depending on what the app says it supports. The Win+Left/Right keyboard shortcut works with it too now.

Is there a way for the default open behavior of an app be to open snapped? For example, something like this for the calculator app this would be ideal.

Also, perhaps this is just for the Preview, but all of the built-in apps seem to be set to default to 50-50, when the calculator app should probably default at 20-80.

MCD

Is there a way for the default open behavior of an app be to open snapped? For example, something like this for the calculator app this would be ideal.

Also, perhaps this is just for the Preview, but all of the built-in apps seem to be set to default to 50-50, when the calculator app should probably default at 20-80.

Apps remembering their last snap position would be nice.

dLMN8R

I don't know if apps can be open snapped, but I think there's more "remembering" in RTM than in the preview. At least I've noticed some such conveniences, but I couldn't remember if they were in the preview or not.

“The result is not very promising,” Mr. Shih told All Things D’s Ina Fried in a recent interview, referring to poor sales of Windows RT devices. He noted further that of all the bizarre and odd-ball products his company has built—including “teeny-tiny laptops, phones that turn into tablets, and even a seven-inch tablet that can be held to the ear to make phone calls”—only Windows RT has been an actual failure.

Let that sink in.

Mr_Zombie

So MS is being forced to rename Skydrive thanks to the British Sky Broadcasting Group and the utterly ridiculous UK courts.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/31/4574878/microsoft-skydrive-name-change-bskyb

That's... stupid. So no product can have the word "Sky" in its name because of few channels own by a company? There's a huge difference between "Sky One", "Sky Movies" etc (notice the space) and "SkyDrive" (no space here).

Oh well, let's just hope that this time they come up with a new, good name more quickly and won't repeat the mess like the one with transitioning from "Metro Apps", through "Modern Apps", to "Windows Store Apps".

That's good to know. Anyway, as promised here's the updated version. You can now use a GUI to map the buttons to your liking. I've also updated the mouse control so the cursor moves a lot smoother, it feels pretty similar to using a regular mouse now.

If you're interested, the download link is here: https://mega.co.nz/#!ERQ1XaCC!JhsyZztSDXeqwfWmstsXgSTEJHxOB1cp-hHzYYbLSzQ

If you still have the old version installed, don't worry about uninstalling it, the new version will take care of that.

The update's great, mouse control is much improved. Would it be possible to change how long you need to hold the RB button to turn on/off controller support?

SPDIF

The update's great, mouse control is much improved. Would it be possible to change how long you need to hold the RB button to turn on/off controller support?

Sure. It'd literally be a few extra lines of code, so I'll probably create an updated version tomorrow. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

popeutlal

I need help, the photo app on Win 8.1 closes as soon as I click on a photo. There seems to be no way to uninstall and reinstall the app. Any ideas?

Nm, fixed it. Turning off the shuffle option makes it crash.

A bit older, but I found Thurrot's rant interesting.

People think I “hate” Windows RT because I’ve been critical of the platform. Truth is, it’s simply not there yet, and almost a year later, the Metro content ecosystem has not evolved enough to take on the iPad or Android. But Microsoft already has a mobile platform with a thriving ecosystem. It’s called Windows Phone, and I think it makes a far better choice for general purpose tablets than does Windows RT.

That could change, obviously. But today, it’s no contest.

There are different ways of making this comparison. I’d point out, for example, that Windows Phone already sports native a Facebook app, while Windows RT does not. That the native Twitter apps on Windows Phone is far nicer, and better optimized for the targeted devices than is the one for Windows RT. That the amazing selection of games, Xbox LIVE and otherwise, on Windows Phone simply blows away what’s happening on Windows RT. There are hundreds of examples like this, and very few where Windows RT comes out ahead. (Some of the built-in apps, like News, are nice, for example.)

But let’s take a different approach. How hard would be it be to fix each of these platforms so that they could solve the problem the other allegedly addresses?

First, Windows RT is so immature it’s not even a viable platform. The apps and games situation is a disaster. PC makers and consumers alike are ignoring it in droves and even Microsoft, its sole major backer, had to take a $900 million write-down on Surface RT. The thought of pushing this platform to the phone is so ludicrous it makes one want to laugh. It’s on life support as it is.

But Windows Phone? Interesting.

Right now, you can’t browse the Xbox Video Store on the device or download, buy or play TV shows or movies. Easily fixed. It has podcast support, which is never ever happening (from Microsoft) on Windows RT. It already has a ton of Xbox LIVE (and other third party) games, as noted. Windows Phone is mature in all the ways Windows RT is not. And it’s not lacking in any of the ways in which Windows RT is solid, because Windows RT is not solid in any way.

Well, maybe one, though I’d argue that this area is not important to the mini-tablets these system should be targeting: Yes, Windows Phone has mobile versions of Office 2013 apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote, but those would have be updated to be more full-featured.

Microsoft needs to do a few things. First, make Windows Phone truly resolution independent—it’s basically there already—and formally support larger screen sizes and “phone-less” hardware. And with the integration of Skype/VoIP technologies in Windows Phone 8, even that limitation would prove a minor one at best.

Next, start releasing app updates as it does for Windows 8/RT. This is a no-brainer.

And did I mention that Windows Phone has Nokia? Can you imagine a Nokia mini-tablet? Don’t you already want one? No? Look at the Acer Iconia W3 again. How about now? That’s what I thought.

Finally, for those who claim that RT’s lack of desktop compatibility is in fact an advantage—a laughable claim, but let’s run with it—then, please, examine Windows Phone. There’s no desktop. None. It’s more of what you claim to want.

Put simply, Windows Phone is superior to Windows RT today. I don’t see that changing for the foreseeable future. So the decision is clear, Microsoft. Go with the better, more mature mobile platform. You already make it.

I want me some Windows Phone tablet.

And he's right. A year later and the Windows Store is still absolute shit. No big names, no one cars about it, no quality apps. I mean, there's not even a Microsoft-developed Facebook app, like on Windows Phone. What the fuck.

I'm sure some people at Microsoft didn't anticipate this lack of interest from developers.

MCD

The apps is also hurting regular Windows 8 in some ways.

I dunno, seems like MS + app stores is a recipe for no one gives a shit.

Nero3000

And he's right. A year later and the Windows Store is still absolute shit. No big names, no one cars about it, no quality apps. I mean, there's not even a Microsoft-developed Facebook app, like on Windows Phone. What the fuck.

I'm sure some people at Microsoft didn't anticipate this lack of interest from developers.

Windows RT is a better video player...i can access files on a network drive, copy then over wifi or play straight from there and there are some excellent mkv players on WinRT vs none on WP8.

The apps is also hurting regular Windows 8 in some ways.

I dunno, seems like MS + app stores is a recipe for no one gives a shit.

Of course it's hurting Windows 8 as well, but RT has only the app store going for it, whereas 8 still has full desktop compatibility.

At the same time I'm seeing the bomba prices of some RT devices and I'm really compelled to pick one up. Lenovo Yoga 11, Dell XPS 10 or Ativ Tab for 299? Damn.

I still want an 8" tablet with an pen, though. It's a damn shame about the Note 8.0's design and screen resolution.

Windows RT is a better video player...i can access files on a network drive, copy then over wifi or play straight from there and there are some excellent mkv players on WinRT vs none on WP8.

No one* uses a network drive to access their own ripped movies and Windows Phone is getting VLC, too. It's a weak argument. Windows Phone still has more and better apps than RT and writing that made me chuckle.

*a minority of people

I blame Sinofsky. Supposedly he was like the Great Wall of China when it came to separating divisions and striffling interoperability. But yeah, I completely agree with Thurrott. They need to fold Windows RT into Windows Phone... or at the bare minimum connect the app stores and update Windows 8/RT/Windows Phone to be compatible with the other platforms apps. Even better would be if they did both.

Although i would say the file system access is important for accessing your own videos.

Yeah, when though?

And it's also possible on Windows Phone. I remember using an app that worked like AirVideo on my Optimus 7, way back in early 2011. Accessing all my videos from my Home Server on my phone.

And please, don't get stuck on something like that. It's still a really weak argument for RT, considering that the cloud is all the rage and there are more people using that than something like a NAS.

Walshicus

I don't know, in the last month I've spent money on two Windows 8 apps. That's the first time I've purchased through the store. Spartan Assault is brilliant and I think it's a must-have and Game Dev Tycoon is also high quality.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Put simply, Windows Phone is superior to Windows RT today. I don’t see that changing for the foreseeable future. So the decision is clear, Microsoft. Go with the better, more mature mobile platform. You already make it.
As owner of both a Win8 phone and Surface RT (stop laughing) I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. RT is a joke.

I don't know, in the last month I've spent money on two Windows 8 apps. That's the first time I've purchased through the store. Spartan Assault is brilliant and I think it's a must-have and Game Dev Tycoon is also high quality.

I'm sorry, but I think it takes a bit more than your two app purchases to turn the Windows Store into a compelling market for developers.

As owner of both a Win8 phone and Surface RT (stop laughing) I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. RT is a joke.

Which phone do you own and have you released apps for any of the two platforms so far?

Azih

Man can MS even pull of a unified RT layer between Phone and Win8 that won't mess with the Phone developers?

Blackhead

Redarse
Which phone do you own and have you released apps for any of the two platforms so far?
Bishoptl put out a UFC Windows Phone app last year

Microsoft corporate politics is just depressing:

vaAn93j.png

Still pissed off that they canned the Zune app for the XBOX Music nonsense. Supposedly Microsoft has made changes to get the different groups more focused but I'll believe it when I see the products. I mean, FFS, the recent rumor that Microsoft was working on a surface watch seemed to indicate that it would work with the Windows tablets without mention of the Windows Phones. Sounds stupid but it's Microsoft so I'd believe it.

I think the Desktop restrictions are whats killing the WinRT ecosystem. All they need to do is release updates to Visual Studio to let people compile universal desktop executables which run on both 8.1 & RT and then maybe the app situation gets a little bit better on RT.

Walshicus

I think the Desktop restrictions are whats killing the WinRT ecosystem. All they need to do is release updates to Visual Studio to let people compile universal desktop executables which run on both 8.1 & RT and then maybe the app situation gets a little bit better on RT.
Agreed. It's be a good move and they've nothing to lose.

Brot: never meant to imply its a success, just that it's not awful. Bad perhaps but not awful.

I also agree, I really though that they would make that announcement at build... It would make perfect sense considering the new arm offerings...

hwalker84

People think I “hate” Windows RT because I’ve been critical of the platform. Truth is, it’s simply not there yet, and almost a year later, the Metro content ecosystem has not evolved enough to take on the iPad or Android. But Microsoft already has a mobile platform with a thriving ecosystem. It’s called Windows Phone, and I think it makes a far better choice for general purpose tablets than does Windows RT.

That could change, obviously. But today, it’s no contest.

There are different ways of making this comparison. I’d point out, for example, that Windows Phone already sports native a Facebook app, while Windows RT does not. That the native Twitter apps on Windows Phone is far nicer, and better optimized for the targeted devices than is the one for Windows RT. That the amazing selection of games, Xbox LIVE and otherwise, on Windows Phone simply blows away what’s happening on Windows RT. There are hundreds of examples like this, and very few where Windows RT comes out ahead. (Some of the built-in apps, like News, are nice, for example.)

But let’s take a different approach. How hard would be it be to fix each of these platforms so that they could solve the problem the other allegedly addresses?

First, Windows RT is so immature it’s not even a viable platform. The apps and games situation is a disaster. PC makers and consumers alike are ignoring it in droves and even Microsoft, its sole major backer, had to take a $900 million write-down on Surface RT. The thought of pushing this platform to the phone is so ludicrous it makes one want to laugh. It’s on life support as it is.

But Windows Phone? Interesting.

Right now, you can’t browse the Xbox Video Store on the device or download, buy or play TV shows or movies. Easily fixed. It has podcast support, which is never ever happening (from Microsoft) on Windows RT. It already has a ton of Xbox LIVE (and other third party) games, as noted. Windows Phone is mature in all the ways Windows RT is not. And it’s not lacking in any of the ways in which Windows RT is solid, because Windows RT is not solid in any way.

Well, maybe one, though I’d argue that this area is not important to the mini-tablets these system should be targeting: Yes, Windows Phone has mobile versions of Office 2013 apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote, but those would have be updated to be more full-featured.

Microsoft needs to do a few things. First, make Windows Phone truly resolution independent—it’s basically there already—and formally support larger screen sizes and “phone-less” hardware. And with the integration of Skype/VoIP technologies in Windows Phone 8, even that limitation would prove a minor one at best.

Next, start releasing app updates as it does for Windows 8/RT. This is a no-brainer.

And did I mention that Windows Phone has Nokia? Can you imagine a Nokia mini-tablet? Don’t you already want one? No? Look at the Acer Iconia W3 again. How about now? That’s what I thought.

Finally, for those who claim that RT’s lack of desktop compatibility is in fact an advantage—a laughable claim, but let’s run with it—then, please, examine Windows Phone. There’s no desktop. None. It’s more of what you claim to want.

I want me some Windows Phone tablet.

While i love my RT. It didn't make sense for Microsoft to not scale Windows Phone up to the tablet size. Now with WP8 GDR3 having Phablet like sizes and RT being able to have Mini Tablet sizes they'll be in the same space with two completely different ecosystems.

maeh2k

While i love my RT. It didn't make sense for Microsoft to not scale Windows Phone up to the tablet size. Now with WP8 GDR3 having Phablet like sizes and RT being able to have Mini Tablet sizes they'll be in the same space with two completely different ecosystems.

OEMs would have ignored Windows Phone on tablets even more than they did Windows 8 on tablets.
At least right now there are already 100+ million devices with access to the store. Had they gone with Windows Phone, there'd only be a very small number of tablets running Windows Phone apps. The apps would not be adapted to tablets, either.

Personally, I'm not all that convinced Windows Phone would scale up that well. Everything is made for narrow screens with portrait orientation. On a big screen, Windows Phones Panoramas and Pivots wouldn't work that well.

Nero3000

Although the desktop seems to crash when I open file explorer.

EDIT: Grrr file explorer still crashing. It seems to be whne I go to my computer "this pc". Right clicking a file crashes file explorer. Even device manager crashes. Any help?

Ok this is weird, now it is doing the same thing on my Surface Pro, which has been running 8.1 fine for weeks.

So must be something in the synced settings. Any ideas?

OEMs would have ignored Windows Phone on tablets even more than they did Windows 8 on tablets.
At least right now there are already 100+ million devices with access to the store. Had they gone with Windows Phone, there'd only be a very small number of tablets running Windows Phone apps. The apps would not be adapted to tablets, either.

Personally, I'm not all that convinced Windows Phone would scale up that well. Everything is made for narrow screens with portrait orientation. On a big screen, Windows Phones Panoramas and Pivots wouldn't work that well.

Microsoft sold 100+ million licenses, but that does not translate in 100+ million devices out there and you know that very well. And right now, Windows Phone works much, much better in portait mode than Windows 8 (which doesn't work at all, I'd say). You know what else works well in portait mode? Small tablets. And WP would obviously have to be modified, just like W8 had to be modified for small tablets, so the work had to be done either way.

The activity of the Windows Store thread shows how little "100+ million devices with access to the store" actually means.
e: Heh, the thread was opened in February, 86 posts since then, last activity in May.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511104

Clearly a huge success.

Music app is finally pretty solid since the last update. Finally have a permanent now playing experience at the bottom of the screen.

Just checked, I haven't received the Video update yet.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Music app is finally pretty solid since the last update. Finally have a permanent now playing experience at the bottom of the screen.

Just checked, I haven't received the Video update yet.

I did a manual check and it showed up. Looks better I think.

Top Bottom