• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

dLMN8R

My manual check button is grayed out for some reason.

There's a bug in the preview that leaves the button disabled for a few seconds after loading the store. If you wait 10-15 seconds and the go back to the settings charm / app updates screen, it should be enabled.

anyone know a good way to convert mkv, avi etc.. to MPEG 4 (for ipad and such) program for windows ?

Alternatively, I use mobile.HD and it plays everything I throw at it without having to convert first. Well worth the few bucks IMO, and there's a free trial too.

ucdawg12

are there any good tutorials that follow a logical progression for windows 8? I just got the OS and needless to say I am completely LOST. I have looked at a few tutorials but they seem to start in the most specific of places that aren't that helpful as right now I can barely function. I am sure I will figure it all out eventually and I'll be using it as MS intended but right now I am overwhelmed with the difficulty and don't know where to start to learn this thing. Also for some reason my time is really messed up. at UTC -8 I am being told it is 6am here in California and I had to switch to UTC +1 to get the right time

also fyi, I don't have a touch screen if that makes a difference.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
are there any good tutorials that follow a logical progression for windows 8? I just got the OS and needless to say I am completely LOST. I have looked at a few tutorials but they seem to start in the most specific of places that aren't that helpful as right now I can barely function. I am sure I will figure it all out eventually and I'll be using it as MS intended but right now I am overwhelmed with the difficulty and don't know where to start to learn this thing. Also for some reason my time is really messed up. at UTC -8 I am being told it is 6am here in California and I had to switch to UTC +1 to get the right time

also fyi, I don't have a touch screen if that makes a difference.

I watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi8NpwiEuzc and seemed good to go after that.

Is GMusicW still the go-to Google Music app?

All 7500 or so of my tracks from CD's are in Google Music, and correct. I'd use Xbox Music, but the cloud matching only matched less than 2000 of them, and I really don't want to have to go through and check all the tracks (it matched up a lot of my metal tracks with censored versions) to make sure they're the correct ones.

I just bought a new Vaio Duo 13, and to be honest I can't really spare the 40odd Gig of space my music takes up.

Also, Facebook syncing for the MS Pictures app constantly reports problems connecting and has done for a while now. Is this a common problem for anyone else?

Azih

itshappening.gif

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/986184-REG/samsung_ativ_book_9_plus.html

Finally some dates/prices for the new devices. Hopefully info for the Asus Zenbook Infinity and the next Surface Pro comes soon.

For me Windows tablet/hyrbrids/ultrabooks are in such a weird weird place. I want the full functionality of Windows so WinRT devices are a no go, but I don't want to spend too much so a lot of the ultrabooks and hybrids are a no go as well.

I think a lot of consumers are in my boat. Conditioned to not spend too much on 'tablet' devices because of iPad pricing but no interest at all in the iOS like winRT.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
For me Windows tablet/hyrbrids/ultrabooks are in such a weird weird place. I want the full functionality of Windows so WinRT devices are a no go, but I don't want to spend too much so a lot of the ultrabooks and hybrids are a no go as well.

I think a lot of consumers are in my boat. Conditioned to not spend too much on 'tablet' devices because of iPad pricing but no interest at all in the iOS like winRT.
Atom

Looks like Intel is showing off Bay Trail in early September.

I had a Dell Latitude 10 for a week or so and it worked well and had good build quality (and a stylus). Bay Trail is going to destroy the perfomance of Cedar Trail, so I couldn't justify keeping it for the long haul even though it was only $350.

I wonder how crippled the HD4000 is going to be in this compared to Ivy Bridge... If the performance gap is small atom tablets would be amazing for light steam gaming...

where do I go to download and install the Windows 8.1 preview? I'm currently running vanilla Windows 8. also, will it update to the 8.1 retail when it comes out? I got my Windows 8 key during that 15 dollar update promotion thingy

dLMN8R

Well yeah, you can "upgrade" from the Preview to RTM, but it's a clean install with data migration. Need to reinstall everything.

Pooya

so is the RTM update going to be available through Windows update for current 8 users or the store like the preview?

dorkimoe

Gold Member
just got a new laptop, nothing fancy, got something cuz i have to dj 2 weddings this next month and mine broke

here goes nothing with windows 8..

Hey, look, the PMs at Microsoft finally pushed the interns aside and let real designers do the people app.

VAsFWaR.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the leaked pics from the People Hub looked much better. Also like that they are adding the 3 dots for app menus ala WP.

Yeah the leaked pics from the People Hub looked much better. Also like that they are adding the 3 dots for app menus ala WP.

Windows 8.1 in general feels more consistent with Windows Phone. It's really a shame that it took the team a year to properly adopt the design, instead of creating an own variation of it, with the same old mistakes. Of course it helped that Sinofsky left.

Troll

Banned
My messenger app shows sent messages twice but doesn't actually send the message twice. It's really annoying, anyone know how to stop this from happening?

Hey, look, the PMs at Microsoft finally pushed the interns aside and let real designers do the people app.

VAsFWaR.jpg

I would likely actually use the People app once they update.

... But only if there's some way of hiding all the posts from Facebook that I've already blocked on the website. My feed just gets swamped with posts from stuff that I've "liked", and it's a pain in the arse that whilst I've already blocked them from showing on the FB website, they still show up in People.

Mr_Zombie

... But only if there's some way of hiding all the posts from Facebook that I've already blocked on the website. My feed just gets swamped with posts from stuff that I've "liked", and it's a pain in the arse that whilst I've already blocked them from showing on the FB website, they still show up in People.

Isn't this a limitation of FB API? Friendcaster, a Facebook client I use on Android, has the same limitation. It also doesn't show posts that are limited to "firend's friends", just like People app.

Isn't this a limitation of FB API? Friendcaster, a Facebook client I use on Android, has the same limitation. It also doesn't show posts that are limited to "firend's friends", just like People app.

Not a clue. All I know is that it gets on my tits, and stops me from bothering with the People app altogether.

Joezie

Microsoft is being sued over the extent of RT commitment and actual performance.

The lawsuit claims that Microsoft knew that it had excess and overvalued Surface RT inventory as early as its fiscal 2013 third quarter, but it delayed releasing that information until its Q4 financial report. Microsoft reported across-the-board gains in its Q3 report, including a 23 percent year-over-year increase in the Windows Division. However, no new data on Surface RT revenue was indicated. The Q4 report, in contrast, showed that Microsoft had taken a $900 million write-down to cover "Surface RT inventory adjustments."

"Defendants' materially false and misleading conduct enabled Microsoft to forestall Surface RT's day of reckoning and delay what would be tantamount to an admission by the Company that its all-important entry into the tablet market had been a failure," the complaint reads.

Here's the PDF

Top Bottom