• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Screenshot11.png

See 'Browse' right under the background images? Click on that and it will let you choose whatever photo you'd like from your library.

i tried it at the microsoft store, it's alot better on a tablet. it's still horrible with mouse. (metro)

I wonder if people have been around enough to remember when people hated anything that wasn't the command line and rebeled against the mouse. Get ready to be inendated by multi-touch and gesture class devices.
It's already happening!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yea, not even going to bother installing this for my mother. She's not very good with computers and hidden shit she has to remember would petrify her.

But she finds the Start menu easy to navigate?

If she is so computer illiterate that she can hit the Windows key to go to the start menu then I would assume she's not doing much on the computer. Just pin the stuff she uses on her taskbar and she never has to see the Start screen except when the computer boots.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
with a dedicated application store that is safe and secure along with the huge tiles I think old people will find this easier to use than windows 7. There are of course those hidden UIs but once people are told about them then I think they will be fine. (Microsoft needs to do a better job of this).

Just tell your mom to move the mouse to the corners.
The Windows Key is your Home Button like on the iPhone.
Right Click for more Options.
Settings are always in the same place, on the right bar.

edit: also you can turn off the app switcher on the left side. Old people really don't have a need for that. (and unpin the desktop tile if you need to). They can just use it just like a iPhone. Open an Application, hit the Windows Key to return to the start screen.

Anyway, with any new OS I would never just give it to someone and say "figure it out". I don't even to that with an iphone, I walk people through the basics.

Blablurn

The op says win 8 doesnt affect games but wasnt there a preview some months ago which mentioned framerate drops compared to win 7

And does installing win8 means it will format the HDD? Or is there an option to keep my stuff in the computer during the install phase.

The op says win 8 doesnt affect games but wasnt there a preview some months ago which mentioned framerate drops compared to win 7

And does installing win8 means it will format the HDD? Or is there an option to keep my stuff in the computer during the install phase.

since windows 8 uses actually less syste m ressources than windows 7, games should run just as well or even better at this point with finalized drivers etc.

I am not sure about the upgrade and if it'll wipe your hdd, you should make a backup

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

"Some months ago" would have meant they were testing one of the beta versions.

lol, in most cases it had no change in framerate. In some cases, at most 1 or 2 frames dropped. Windows 8 uses less system resources and has no affect on game performance whatsoever.

The story going around all of last week was that points were still only good for Xbox content... I don't know if that's across all services branded with Xbox or just games. I haven't had a chance to buy anything from the Windows Marketplace but it seems since it's not branded Xbox, it wouldn't apply. Better now than later though.

I'll miss points for sure :(
Thanks mate, you're right it seems. If I go to purchase something that is on Xbox through the Windows 8 store, it will allow me to use my points. Whereas, if it's only available on Windows, it isn't an option. Fair enough I guess.

Gaspode_T

For so many years people called out Microsoft for not changing or not innovating, or not reacting to marketplace quickly enough. This change is huge and causing neurons in brains to be very confused. It is kind of interesting to watch, articles calling it "baffling" or confusing are a bit true but if it was just Windows 7 with some different windowing style then people would have called it more of the same and how Microsoft is a dinosaur or something.

I can only say the addictiveness of installing free apps from the Windows Store is a gazillion times more fun than trying to find some free "desktop" software to install, for normal people...I say this because this has already been the model established, there is no Steam for Apps that people in the world dominantly use, there is just buying some overpriced potentially crap software at a shop like Target or Best Buy and often they do suck.

I myself bought some educational software for Windows before but it came on DVDs or CDs and pain in the ass to use. I had better time buying shareware back in the 90s than that.

Just my opinion but I think once the people start using Windows Store for installing interesting apps, the tide will turn, the negative FUD will wash away. If Windows 8 and especially the Windows Store is successful, people should probably continue to hound Microsoft about to make sure open platform (desktop mode) is still maintained well into the future, but for better or worse for the majority of normal users an app store model may be too convenient to go back to other methods...it would be like never going to a mall again, and instead having to go drive to each mom and pop store individually.

alphaNoid

Banned

1. That optimization test was done with a preview version of Windows 8, running unoptimized Windows 7 video drivers on Windows 8. Surely you can understand that lunacy in that right? Windows 8 is far more efficient in every way over 7, and once proper drivers utilize and tap that power .. theres no going back. That test was bait for clicks on a site desperate for views and ad revenue. Real tests, and testers will surely wait for appropriate hardware and software in order to do an apples to apples comparison.

2. Yes you can do an in place 'upgrade' from Vista/7 to Windows 8. I did this on both my Enterprise versions and Ultimate to Pro versions. All my applications remaned installed, my user data.. everything. I clicked upgrade, waited 20 minutes, 2 reboots and bam.. I was running Windows 8, never having to re-install, or restore 1 god damn thing! Its also nice that its lightning fast, nothing like shotty Windows upgrades of yesteryear.

Microsoft finally figured it out. These features are just parts of the little things that make this OS far superior to Windows 7.

Windu

control panel can also be accessed in that right click menu on the bottom left. But yeah, if you haven't gotten used to searching yet then do so. Been doing it since vista, best way to find stuff.
My Start Screen is pretty sparse. Any recommended apps?
looking through the ones I have downloaded, these are some quality ones:

Netflix
todos - to do list
xbmc remote rt
youtube+ - although the website works fine
Remote Desktop
newegg
OneNote MX
MetroTwit - twitter
Tunein Radio
Kindle
slapdash podcasts
Holo Ping Pong
Time Tile - Live tile clock
taptiles
wordament
cut the rope
fruit ninja
Microsoft Solitare Collection
Microsoft Minesweeper
Microsoft Mahjong
Adera
Pinball FX2

Troll

Banned
control panel can also be accessed in that right click menu on the bottom left. But yeah, if you haven't gotten used to searching yet then do so. Been doing it since vista, best way to find stuff.

Netflix
todos - to do list
xbmc remote rt
Remote Desktop
newegg
OneNote MX
MetroTwit - twitter
Tunein Radio
Kindle
slapdash podcasts
Holo Ping Pong
taptiles
wordament
cut the rope
fruit ninja
Microsoft Minesweeper
Microsoft Mahjong
Adera
Pinball FX2

I like Comixology and the USA Today app.

Exuro

I'm hoping we get some top notch stuff on the 26th. Netflix has been the best/most used app for me. (Also hoping I can get my gamertag stuff changed finally)

Jzero

Question were do I find the control panel now on windows 8?
The easiest way is definitely right clicking the bottom left corner of the screen and clicking control panel.

I'm hoping we get some top notch stuff on the 26th. Netflix has been the best/most used app for me. (Also hoping I can get my gamertag stuff changed finally)
It sucks that you can't change your gamertag without an xbox -_-

Exuro

It sucks that you can't change your gamertag without an xbox -_-
Sucks even more when you were planning to move an old gamertag to your current account and have windows 8 autogenerate you one so you have to go through the process of making a dummy account and wait a month to move stuff around.

Bullza2o

I've been using Windows 8 Release Preview for a couple of months now, and it's working fine on my old 2008 laptop.

However, I always have problems using it on my HP dv6t-3000. When I install the AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5470 drivers, when the screen is supposed to flicker it just stays off. Then when I restart the PC I can never enable it. Some error pops up when I try opening CCC. I'm not too sure if it's Windows 8 being unfriendly to switchable graphics or AMD being unreliable. Can anyone help?

Quick

Banned

Netflix
todos - to do list
xbmc remote rt
Remote Desktop
newegg
OneNote MX
MetroTwit - twitter
Tunein Radio
Kindle
slapdash podcasts
Holo Ping Pong
taptiles
wordament
cut the rope
fruit ninja
Microsoft Minesweeper
Microsoft Mahjong
Adera
Pinball FX2

Thanks. I'll give MetroTwit a try.

Is there any sort of way I can get iTunes to display my currently playing music on the Start Screen? Either via Live Tile (which doesn't seem possible) or other alternatives?

Gaspode_T

I wish there was a comic book app that was able to download silver age comics without exiting the app...

I tried this one but I think you have to download them yourself still

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-us/app/comicsjolt/6fbe349b-80da-4a8b-949e-262de41e6751

I still found out about this comicbookplus site through the app, reading some of these silver age comics is pretty mind blowing how much things have changed...first page of Amazing Adventure 1 contains a dude slapping some witch and calling her a tramp

http://comicbookplus.com/?cid=92

Windu

I'm still baffled that 'shut down' isn't a button on the start screen.

I had to google that a while back, how would your grannies figure that out?

Can you even create a shut down icon for the start menu?

MCD

I've been using Windows 8 Release Preview for a couple of months now, and it's working fine on my old 2008 laptop.

However, I always have problems using it on my HP dv6t-3000. When I install the AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5470 drivers, when the screen is supposed to flicker it just stays off. Then when I restart the PC I can never enable it. Some error pops up when I try opening CCC. I'm not too sure if it's Windows 8 being unfriendly to switchable graphics or AMD being unreliable. Can anyone help?

Try using MS drivers via Windows Update if it's available.

MCD

Makes me wonder if someone can create an app for that. Like on my phone, I have shortcuts apps for wifi/3g settings and so on.

Bullza2o

Try using MS drivers via Windows Update if it's available.

I tried that too. I think it's more about CCC for Win8 not working for switchable graphics cards. Oh well I think I'll have to wait for HP to release Win8 drivers for it before I upgrade.

f0lken

I think they are used to shut down things by pressing the hardware power button

StudioTan

To be fair, would grannies assume you shut down Windows 7 by going to "Start"?

Now that i think about it... i was taught young to press start and click shutdown.

But my dad worked in IT.

You can shut down computers using the Power button?

don't think i've ever tried that in my life o_O.

Top Bottom