• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

An-Det

Nice OT. I haven't paid much attention to Windows 8, so it was a good summary for me. I was waiting to fix my ram problem before installing it, so I think I'm ready to do it. Will probably do get around to it this weekend.

How is the metro interface when using multiple monitors? Do the tiles remain on one monitor, or can it be fully customized?

Nice OT. I haven't paid much attention to Windows 8, so it was a good summary for me. I was waiting to fix my ram problem before installing it, so I think I'm ready to do it. Will probably do get around to it this weekend.

How is the metro interface when using multiple monitors? Do the tiles remain on one monitor, or can it be fully customized?

They stay on one monitor but you can open the start screen on any screen. You can also drag and drop apps to different monitors.

Quick

Banned
You know after i updated to the latest driver i got the BSOD. I had never gotten one until i updated the driver so that seems to be the cause of it.

Yep. So far, so good.

On another note, is there a quicker way of clicking the shutdown button? Right now, I have to log out, then click the power icon at the bottom right of the screen.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yep. So far, so good.

On another note, is there a quicker way of clicking the shutdown button? Right now, I have to log out, then click the power icon at the bottom right of the screen.

Move your mouse to the bottom right corner to bring up the Charms bar (or Win+C) then click Settings. Shut down is in there. You can also Alt+F4 from the desktop.

Jzero

Yep. So far, so good.

press the power button once on your computer (don't hold it) .

Quick

Banned
Move your mouse to the bottom right corner to bring up the Charms bar (or Win+C) then click Settings. Shut down is in there. You can also Alt+F4 from the desktop.

Thanks. Alt+F4 is what I do if I don't click on the shut down button. I really just wanted to know where it is to begin with.

press the power button once on your computer (don't hold it) .

Press the hardware button power

Hardware button? HARDWARE BUTTON?!
Yes, yes, I know about the hardware button. I really just wanted to know where it is. It's become a habit for me to press Start, then click shut down.

Thanks. Alt+F4 is what I do if I don't click on the shut down button. I really just wanted to know where it is to begin with.

Yes, yes, I know about the hardware button. I really just wanted to know where it is. It's become a habit for me to press Start, then click shut down.

It's still the same number of mouse licks as Win7... just in a different place.
Maybe now I can stop hearing the dumbest reason why some people say they're Mac users ;)

Jzero

Microsoft making it take so long to get to the power options actually made me start using the hardware power button. So much easier :)

f0lken

how likely do you think it is that the store will hit 100k apps before January?

I think is unlikely, but there must be a shit ton of apps just waiting for the 26th to launch along with Win8 for MS to feel so confident in that 100k number, my bet is 50k in mid January

Quick

Banned
Microsoft making it take so long to get to the power options actually made me start using the hardware power button. So much easier :)

Microsoft doesn't want you shutting down Windows 8.

This is the first time I've actually used Windows 8 extensively. I feel like jumping back to Windows 7 right now, but I'll hold off on that and give it full use over the weekend before I decide.

I hope not. Windows Phone apps are kinda crappy in general.

I think is unlikely, but there must be a shit ton of apps just waiting for the 26th to launch along with Win8 for MS to feel so confident in that 100k number, my bet is 50k in mid January

Then again, there's the company claiming to make Android and iOS apps portable to Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 platforms with virtually no development. Maybe MS will annouce something to do with that (like free app porting until January).

strata8

Microsoft doesn't want you shutting down Windows 8.

Eh, I'm not sure about that.

It's really just so anyone using Metro apps has a way to shut down from any app. Notice that it's grouped with all the other hardware controls like wireless, brightness, volume, etc. Having the user menu restricted to user controls, like signing out, switching users, etc, actually makes a lot of sense.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm running Windows 7 with Office 2010 and I want to upgrade to Windows 8. Now my question is will I able to reinstall my copy of Office 2010?
Windows 7 to Windows 8 should just bring the application along without having to reinstall. Still would best to back up your stuff just in case.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Note to self: Should have read the GIANT PRINT that said the programs I installed were not part of "my files" for the Windows 8 Refresh.

Kinda lost all the Steam games I installed over the passed few days :p

Note to self: Should have read the GIANT PRINT that said the programs I installed were not part of "my files" for the Windows 8 Refresh.

Kinda lost all the Steam games I installed over the passed few days :p

It wouldn't be much of a refresh if it kept the pesky programs that were causing the chaos in the first place.

DagsJT

Cheers, much appreciated!

Also figured out, thanks to the new Task Manager, why my HDD makes such a noise at startup. The antimalware executable/Windows Defender service is battering my HDD scanning, which is quite annoying and can't be doing my drive much good. I've deleted the tasks now so hopefully that should stop that happening at startup.

One other question. When I pin individual exe files to my start menu so that they appear in Metro, they show as the default exe name. For example, pinning Football Manager just shows "fm" in Metro. I'm guessing that there's no way to edit the Metro name without actually editing the exe name itself?

derExperte

It's still the same number of mouse licks as Win7... just in a different place.

It takes me one single click to shut down W7. Click on the start button and while still holding down the mouse button move to the right over the 'shut down' button. I haven't found a way in W8 that is as easy and fast (under 1 second).

nan0

It takes me one single click to shut down W7. Click on the start button and while still holding down the mouse button move to the right over the 'shut down' button. I haven't found a way in W8 that is as easy and fast (under 1 second).

You can add shortcuts to the Win+X Menu on the lower left. It's explained here (The developer says he uploaded the binary to GitHub, but I couldn't find it there. If anyone cares, I can upload the compiled version).

Will look like that:

GixcS.png

You should probably keep using Windows 7 then. It does offer you the fastest way to shutdown your system using a start menu. My appologies.

derExperte

You should probably keep using Windows 7 then. It does offer you the fastest way to shutdown your system using a start menu. My appologies.

I have no big problems with W8 overall and will get used to or work around the small inconveniences (see nan0s post, thx for that) but there are definitely things that right now are worse than in W7.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I love Windows 7 but I think I've decided that Windows 8 is for me. I like some of the new stuff and the changes a lot of people hate (like lack of start button) don't bug me one bit.

I've been using Windows 8 since the full version came out on Technet. After the initial minor hurtles of learning how to do things a new way its been fantastic.

I only have 2 minor gripes related to using dual monitors.

1. I want a way to stop the cursor on the right edge of the screen of the first monitor. Like holding down the windows key will stop the cursor from changing screens.
This would fix the need to move to the second monitors far right to get the charms menu up. I find trying to hover over the right edge of monitor 1 without moving the cursor over the edge into monitor 2 which stops the charms from coming up fiddly.

As well It would let me quickly snap down to the show desktop bar in the bottom right. Now that there is no start menu you have to put all your shortcuts to desktop apps on the desktop but with a few programs open its a pain to minimize to launch a new program. I find the windows key + , isn't practical since it requires two hands to do it.

besides those two things its working out great.

Wouldn’t RT Games have this support or do you mean more of desktop games? Touch on the windows desktop is mostly setup to emulate a mouse. I could see someone releasing controls that would somehow emulate a controller via an onscreen overlay though they will need to have some sort of way to inject the inputs back into the controller's input stack and they would also need to somehow get the overlay on screen and allow options that will hopefully allow users to select placements that don't interfere with the game’s built-in HUD. I know fraps somehow manages to cheese in on a game's frame buffer so the overlay thing may be possible but I don't know how to inject information into a controller's stack without driver level access. I never tried creating system-level hooks like I know you could back in the Win32 API days for keyboard and mouse journals but if the option exists for the controller then that may be easy as well.

this is basically what I thought about. An overlay that basically works like the old on screen keyboard. Just for input controls that are universally usable.

Indie games, emulators and other simple games that dont require much precision could profit from touch input, even though they were not designed for that and you could play games on the run with your tablet without the need of hardware input methods!

1. I want a way to stop the cursor on the right edge of the screen of the first monitor. Like holding down the windows key will stop the cursor from changing screens.
This would fix the need to move to the second monitors far right to get the charms menu up. I find trying to hover over the right edge of monitor 1 without moving the cursor over the edge into monitor 2 which stops the charms from coming up fiddly.
There is. They use a small area around the corner of each monitor where the cursor is blocked and you can invoke the charms bar on monitor 1.

As well It would let me quickly snap down to the show desktop bar in the bottom right. Now that there is no start menu you have to put all your shortcuts to desktop apps on the desktop but with a few programs open its a pain to minimize to launch a new program. I find the windows key + , isn't practical since it requires two hands to do it.
Not sure i understood that completely, but you can add desktop shortcuts to the start screen. WinKey + Type also works for all installed desktop programs even if you haven't pinned them.

this is basically what I thought about. An overlay that basically works like the old on screen keyboard. Just for input controls that are universally usable.

Indie games, emulators and other simple games that dont require much precision could profit from touch input, even though they were not designed for that and you could play games on the run with your tablet without the need of hardware input methods!

I wonder if the Keyboard overlay has an extensiable API? It would be sweet if it was possible to just have a controller overlay as another input option.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded Words By Post. Nice to be able to play the same game on my PC and phone. Also downloaded WeatherFlow. Pretty simple weather app but it loads really fast, which is nice.

DagsJT

Anyone elses Music app just keep dropping out back to the Metro screen? Seems to work once out of every ten tries at using it. In fact, it's been more than ten attempts now. It stays on for a few seconds, freezes for a second, then transitions back to Metro. No problems with any other apps.

Top Bottom