• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Quick

Banned
For people who are using their Microsoft account, how badly disorganized and messy are your contacts? :p

I haven't really touched my contacts list on my Hotmail/Outlook account for years, so seeing them populate the People page/app(?) had me cringing at how terribly disorganized it was.

Exuro

For people who are using their Microsoft account, how badly disorganized and messy are your contacts? :p

I haven't really touched my contacts list on my Hotmail/Outlook account for years, so seeing them populate the People page/app(?) had me cringing at how terribly disorganized it was.
I just turned my gmail account into a microsoft account.

Lynn616

it can play .m4v, which are basically just .mp4, out of the box - I tried mine out recently in the metro player in win8. however, if you've got a lot of files with multiple audio tracks or subtitles, you'll probably need to wait for a dedicated app in the store as I couldn't get either to work (both work in ios natively)

No subtitles but the files do have multiple audio tracks. Will wait for a dedicated app. I dont think it will take long.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Have they announced student pricing for this? I don't have access to DreamSpark Premium, so I'll have to purchase a copy.

f0lken

Completely organized, and all my contacts from twitter and facebook are already merged into one, granted I had to depure my contact list 2 years ago when I bought my first Windows Phone so everything synced automatically

dwebo

No subtitles but the files do have multiple audio tracks. Will wait for a dedicated app. I dont think it will take long.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

well, the audio still works for the first track IIRC. you just can't change it, at least that I could figure out

Quick

Banned
I just turned my gmail account into a microsoft account.

I think I might just do that. Or clean up my contacts. Either way.

Completely organized, and all my contacts from twitter and facebook are already merged into one, granted I had to depure my contact list 2 years ago when I bought my first Windows Phone so everything synced automatically

Now I'm motivated to actually clean my contacts list up. I might go with a separate Twitter client just to separate the two, though.

I hope we get more Google Reader clients at launch. Feed Reader and Modern Reader are kinda bad and even worse in snapped state (where it would make sense to use them on a desktop. I can't believe that I still have to use the awful Google Reader web interface on my PC.

So is Windows 8 as horrible as they say it is? or has everything been overblown? Can you still use Steam on it?

It's even worse than that. It's gives you cancer.

And yes, of course you can use Steam with it. Windows 8 is a more refined Windows 7 with a proper touch interface and an app store that will steal our freedom.

if I am running windows 8 consumer preview right now can I just upgrade to the release without re-installing?

No you cant unfortunately. As MS puts it: "There's no upgrade paths from preview versions of Windows 8." I believe the OP has some info regarding this. There's also a nice chart on Wikipedia.

Use more punctuations.

Lynn616

well, the audio still works for the first track IIRC. you just can't change it, at least that I could figure out

Did the surround sound work?

edit:

Nevermind. Will not matter the way I would be using Windows RT anyway. Will not be streaming anything to my TV from the device.

The Boat

I have to say, I might take the plunge. My computer is kinda old and it's somewhat slow, so if 8 is faster I'd welcome it.

f0lken

I hope we get more Google Reader clients at launch. Feed Reader and Modern Reader are kinda bad and even worse in snapped state (where it would make sense to use them on a desktop. I can't believe that I still have to use the awful Google Reader web interface on my PC.

I hope that someone makes one that looks exactly the same as the "What's new" section of the people app, I looks beautiful

kharma45

Gave it a whirl on my brothers laptop earlier, really impressed with it even with virtually no driver support atm, although that's not surprising as the machine I tried it on last was a Pentium D based one :lol

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Fantastic thread, other than the OP and some of those links, are there any more in-depth repositories or forums/blog posts or whatever that can give me more info about Windows 8? I feel that a lot of the hate for it is just from a lack of understanding it. Which is the fault of Microsoft really, it is confusing, even for tech savvy people. And that's not because it's too "hard" to learn, just that it's a hassle to relearn a lot of things when things work fine in the first place.

But I plan to get a Windows 8 Hybrid laptop, and install W8 on my main desktop using the free upgrade offer, so I figure I might as well make the transition as comfortable as possible.

I hope that someone makes one that looks exactly the same as the "What's new" section of the people app, I looks beautiful

Seems like a huge waste of space.

Fantastic thread, other than the OP and some of those links, are there any more in-depth repositories or forums/blog posts or whatever that can give me more info about Windows 8? I feel that a lot of the hate for it is just from a lack of understanding it. Which is the fault of Microsoft really, it is confusing, even for tech savvy people. And that's not because it's too "hard" to learn, just that it's a hassle to relearn a lot of things when things work fine in the first place.

But I plan to get a Windows 8 Hybrid laptop, and install W8 on my main desktop using the free upgrade offer, so I figure I might as well make the transition as comfortable as possible.

Microsoft released a huge eBook on the development of Windows 8, explaining design decisions and things like that.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/15/welcome-to-building-windows-8.aspx

Have fun.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I found a great use for the group of tiles label for new users. Put simple instructions up there. For instance, on the first group of tiles its just miscellaneous stuff so I didn't have a name. I put "Use the Corners, Right Click for more Options, General and App Settings in Right Bar" (4 tiles down and 4 across on a 1280x800 resolution screen).

EjpnS.png

railGUN

Banned
I found a great use for the group of tiles label for new users. Put simple instructions up there. For instance, on the first group of tiles its just miscellaneous stuff so I didn't have a name. I put "Use the Corners, Right Click for more Options, General and App Settings in Right Bar" (4 tiles down and 4 across on a 1280x800 resolution screen).

EjpnS.png

If you have more space, you should add:

"Remember Sammy Jankis"

Can we all agree that we are beyond this kind of weird MS hate? We are in a post XP world, this kind of juvenile, infantile animus is pretty passé, amirite.

Firstly, Vista was post XP, so not sure what you point is there.

Secondly, there was no MS hate. Windows 7 was a very good OS and Windows 8 continues that strong line.

However the new menu and store are to me nowhere near up to scratch or worth using. People might disagree, but that is nothing to do with love or hate and I hardly think the opinion is 'weird'. The important thing is either way it doesn't get in the way of what you will want to do, which is get your apps elsewhere like steam, and drag anything you need onto the taskbar.

I've been using News Bento, quite like it except they haven't really implemented a snap mode.

I've been using News Bento, quite like it except they haven't really implemented a snap mode.

Thanks for the tip. The font rendering looks terrible.

After installing News Bento, I got the message that too many apps are running in the background and that News Bento can't be added, which means no live tile for that app.

This is really fucking stupid on a desktop.

Actually, that's just me not reading what the weird text says!

Thanks for the tip. The font rendering looks terrible.

After installing News Bento, I got the message that too many apps are running in the background and that News Bento can't be added, which means no live tile for that app.

This is really fucking stupid on a desktop.

Explain this please.

EDIT: a little lycosing shows it a notification limit which kept me from going balistic. The notification limit seems to be related to resolution and the number of notification that can be shown. Still, it would be silly if this limits the number of live-tiles you can have.

EDIT2: Is there even a limit to the number of live tiles?

Explain this please.

EDIT: a little lycosing shows it a notification limit which kept me from going balistic. The notification limit seems to be related to resolution and the number of notification that can be shown. Still, it would be silly if this limits the number of live-tiles you can have.

EDIT2: Is there even a limit to the number of live tiles?

I had a total brain fart and misread the message. Yes, it's about the notifications on the lock screen.

One of the links explained that for the lock screen notification but, as you said, it's silly that they would have this limit for general start screen usage... especially for something jacked into a wall socket. It's kind of crazy that both things would be connected at the hip like that.

So you can't even install an app when you hit that limit and the app requires a live tile or is it that the app can't do background updates?

I wonder if a registry hack can work around this? Grrr.... thinks like this make me so mad at MS sometimes. I've been following the Building Windows 8 blog and I don't remember them ever mentioning this... especially for the desktop. It makes it seem like they were hiding it.

Anyways, If it's a known limit then that's fine. But I feel that a smarter design would be to allow Live tiles not on the sort list to operate on AC power.

I had a total brain fart and misread the message. Yes, it's about the notifications on the lock screen.

LOL... ok :) All is well then on the Start Screen? God... In hind-sight, there are so many things I should have tested when I was running RTM :(

vermadas

Is this the Upgrade version or the full version?

Well, there are OEM system builder copies but as far as I understand it, the "full version" boxed copies of Windows MS has traditionally released in the past don't exist for 8. You'll need to have a previous version of Windows installed.

Quick

Banned
Windows 8 just crashed on me. First crash on a new OS, too. I feel like breaking glassware to mark the occasion.

I opened the People app, and all of a sudden, the screen kept going black, then I got what I'm assuming is the new Blue Screen of Death.

Windows 8 just crashed on me. First crash on a new OS, too. I feel like breaking glassware to mark the occasion.

I opened the People app, and all of a sudden, the screen kept going black, then I got what I'm assuming is the new Blue Screen of Death.

Did it tell you what it thought the problem was did it tell you what it was meditating on? Did it disable gif avatars forever? :(

Sounds like a video driver... please say you have an AMD video card... please!

Quick

Banned
Did it tell you what it thought the problem was did it tell you what it was meditating on? Did it disable gif avatars forever? :(

I'm an idiot and I didn't even look at it in detail, it had something to do with "VIDEO", so I'm assuming my video card or something.

I'm going to back away from doing anything other than browsing, since I'm transferring my files back.

Shockingly not. With Windows 8 and my Windows Phone 7.5, my contacts are integrated with MS accounts (windows live accounts), Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, and all my accounts are merged without any issues.

Troll

Banned
Shockingly not. With Windows 8 and my Windows Phone 7.5, my contacts are integrated with MS accounts (windows live accounts), Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, and all my accounts are merged without any issues.

With WP8 they're adding Skype to your contacts too.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I'm running Windows 7 with Office 2010 and I want to upgrade to Windows 8. Now my question is will I able to reinstall my copy of Office 2010?

Man. I want to play around with this now. I'm not going to do a fresh install though so I guess I will just have to wait a week.

Rootbeer

Banned
I love Windows 7 but I think I've decided that Windows 8 is for me. I like some of the new stuff and the changes a lot of people hate (like lack of start button) don't bug me one bit.

Top Bottom