• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

strata8

whats the difference between rt/normal window 8?

they just run on different processors?

RT can't install desktop applications. That's the biggest difference.

There are bunch of smaller differences but they're pretty inconsequential to most users.

senahorse

Sorry if this has been asked but I didn't see it. Can you use the 360 controller to navigate metro? I have it installed in a vm atm but had issues getting the controller working.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It is windows 7 with a shit new menu and a shit new store. Both can be completely ignored.

Nothing changes.

If you get it for nothing, the "upgrade" is quick and painless.

so much bullshit being trotted out in this garbage post.

Place 2 identical machines next to each other hardware wise and put 7 and 8 on each respectively. Then tell me which is quicker.
just because you don't like the cosmetic changes don't pretend they are the same os.

Troll

Banned
What's a Microsoft account?
"Microsoft account" is the new name for what used to be called a "Windows Live ID." Your Microsoft account is the combination of an email address and a password that you use to sign in to services like Hotmail, Messenger, SkyDrive, Windows Phone, Xbox LIVE, or Outlook.com. If you use an email address and password to sign in to these or other services, you already have a Microsoft account—but you can also sign up for a new one at any time.

Over time, all Microsoft services will be switching from the old name to the new one. You might continue to see mentions of "Windows Live ID" instead of "Microsoft account" for a while—for example, on xbox.com or windowsphone.com—but the names mean the same thing, and the services will be updated soon.

Here's a cool feature, it's called Picture Password.

so much bullshit being trotted out in this garbage post.

Place 2 identical machines next to each other hardware wise and put 7 and 8 on each respectively. Then tell me which is quicker.

You are ignoring the context of the post I was replying to. If you think that is wrong state your reasons, don't just bring up hypothetical bullshit that means nothing to nobody.

It will not change his gaming at all. You might love the ui or all the incremental changes, but how will the ui changes change how steam runs? Not at all.

Jzero

Sorry if this has been asked but I didn't see it. Can you use the 360 controller to navigate metro? I have it installed in a vm atm but had issues getting the controller working.
I haven't tried it since i don't have one but if there isn't a program that allows you to do that yet i wouldn't be surprised if there is one soon.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You are ignoring the context of the post I was replying to. If you think that is wrong state your reasons, don't just bring up hypothetical bullshit that means nothing to nobody.

It will not change his gaming at all.

I'm not bringing up hypothetical bullshit, the OS is faster.

I missed the context as you were busy spewing your personal opinion about the interface all over it.

to the guy asking about gaming, be careful with driver stuff, my machine is older and for some reason my microphone now doesn't work with windows 8. I also had to wait for graphics drivers for my 4890 graphics card, the default windows ones didn't install open gl support and the CCC for windows 7 wouldn't detect my graphics card. It's fixed now, but I get a weird crash message when shutting down.

I won't upgrade to 8 from the preview until those 2 things are sorted. Still running preview as my main machine and apart from the driver hitches, steam and gaming runs exactly the same.

Boot times are blazingly fast as well and in general everything is snappier than 7.

Troll

Banned
Here's a complete list of the new KB short cuts.

Search

Win+Q: Search apps
(tip: an even easier way to search apps is to just begin typing from the start screen)
Win+W: Search settings
Win+F: Search files

Windows 8 Apps

Win+Z: Get to app options
Win+.: Snap app to the left
Win+Shift+.: Snap app to the right
Ctrl+Tab: Cycle through app history
Alt+F4: Close an app

Desktop

Win+D: Open Desktop
Win+,: Peek at desktop
Win+B: Back to desktop

Other

Win+X: Open system utility settings menu
Win+PrntScrn: Take screenshot and save to Pictures
Win+Tab: Open switch list
Win+T: Preview open windows in taskbar
Win+U: Open Ease of Access Center
Ctrl+ESC: Start screen
Win+Enter: Open Windows Narrator

Charms

Win+C: Open charms
Win+Q: Search charm
Win+H: Share charm
Win+K: Devices charm
Win+I: Settings charm

from Cnet

golem

I guess I must be used to OSX pricing because those upgrades all seem expensive to me. I got my Windows 7 Pro for something like $20 and it wasn't even an upgrade version.

DagsJT

Search

(tip: an even easier way to search apps is to just begin typing from the start screen)

Windows 8 Apps

Desktop

Other

Charms

from Cnet

Cheers, this should be in the OP.

Jzero

I guess I must be used to OSX pricing because those upgrades all seem expensive to me. I got my Windows 7 Pro for something like $20 and it wasn't even an upgrade version.
Yea you can't beat Apple's download prices.

Cheers, this should be in the OP.
It is, i just posted a link to the list instead of taking up a lot of room in the OP. It's under the 'Tips' section. That's how you know you didn't read the OP ;)

I'm not bringing up hypothetical bullshit, the OS is faster.

I missed the context as you were busy spewing your personal opinion about the interface all over it.

to the guy asking about gaming, be careful with driver stuff, my machine is older and for some reason my microphone now doesn't work with windows 8. I also had to wait for graphics drivers for my 4890 graphics card, the default windows ones didn't install open gl support and the CCC for windows 7 wouldn't detect my graphics card. It's fixed now, but I get a weird crash message when shutting down.

I won't upgrade to 8 from the preview until those 2 things are sorted. Still running preview as my main machine and apart from the driver hitches, steam and gaming runs exactly the same.

Boot times are blazingly fast as well and in general everything is snappier than 7.

Which is exactly the point and useful information that doesn't need 'side by side comparisons' to measure speed increases. It isn't like the jump from say XP to 7 where there were a lot of compatibility issues with games. For practical purposes, anything that runs in 7 will run the same beyond a couple of minor quibbles like usb pads crashing telltale games and some other random things.

Any concerns that say steam will not run or that games need to be purchased through the new store are unfounded. Like I said, all the UI stuff and the store can be completely ignored. Sure, you can argue against them being shit, but the point there is to convey that they are hardly central to the experience in windows 8, they are just there and I don't think most people will ever touch them.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Any concerns that say steam will not run or that games need to be purchased through the new store are unfounded.

indeed. except for the people that have trouble grasping the difference between RT and not RT I guess, because no steam on RT. Probably where the confusion comes from, RT is essentially like an ipad, want an app? head to the store.

strata8

Search

Windows 8 Apps

Desktop

Other

Charms

from Cnet

I think cycling through app history is changed in the RTM. Ctrl+Tab doesn't work but Win+Tab does.

senahorse

I haven't tried it since i don't have one but if there isn't a program that allows you to do that yet i wouldn't be surprised if there is one soon.

Thanks for the answer, guess I will find out next week when I install W8 natively. I just thought it would be nice to use to navigate with to other interfaces that work with the pad, e.g. Steam BPM

Troll

Banned
It's more about being forced to do the WP8 OT. :(

hand-holding-whip-md.png

DagsJT

Yea you can't beat Apple's download prices.

It is, i just posted a link to the list instead of taking up a lot of room in the OP. It's under the 'Tips' section. That's how you know you didn't read the OP ;)

Haha I did read it actually, I'm just getting old and forgot it was there! :D

Jburton

Banned
Nice thread OP.

Installed Windows 8 Pro 64-bit from Dreamspark Premium during the week and I really like it.

It's very quick, looks nice and I like the start page ........ multitasking is really good on this OS.

Hi, I'm a luddite and have two questions:
- How many 'metro' apps can be displayed on-screen on a dual monitor setup?
- On a dual monitor setup, can you have a metro app full screen on one, and then have the desktop and a metro app (in that thin snap mode)?

So I can upgrade to Windows 8 for $39.99 digitally? Did not know that.

I use my computer on my TV and I wonder if Metro will be a better interface for that. Anyone with that setup now?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The more I look at that interface, the more I hate it. Sitting out on this one. For more than one reason.

Kaladin

Have they said how much the media center upgrade will be? I run a cablecard tuner/dvr through my computer and information hasn't been easy to find. At least the company that makes my card has a Windows 8 tutorial on their site which should help.

Top Bottom