• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

maeh2k

Have they said how much the media center upgrade will be? I run a cablecard tuner/dvr through my computer and information hasn't been easy to find. At least the company that makes my card has a Windows 8 tutorial on their site which should help.

The media center pack for Windows 8 Pro seems to cost 13 Dollars / 10 Euros. http://www.windows8core.com/confirmed-windows-media-center-pack-for-windows-8-pro-would-cost-12-79/

Upgrading from Windows 8 (non-pro) seems to require the Pro Pack.

strata8

I use my computer on my TV and I wonder if Metro will be a better interface for that. Anyone with that setup now?

Just tried it tonight, actually. Works really well if you set it to high DPI mode (AKA "Make everything on your screen bigger" in settings). Full 1080p. Here are some shots of it:
tv1.jpg

tv2.jpg

tv3.jpg

tv4.jpg

tv5.jpg

tv6.jpg

This is on a 50" display. Mind you, it's not perfect, as you still have to sit a bit closer than usual, but it's far better than having to use the desktop.

You can forget about navigating it with a remote though. Play/pause works in Xbox Video (using the Windows Media remote) but nothing else does.

Tuck

Just tried it tonight, actually. Works really well if you set it to high DPI mode (AKA "Make everything on your screen bigger" in settings). Full 1080p. Here are some shots of it:

This is on a 50" display. Mind you, it's not perfect, as you still have to sit a bit closer than usual, but it's far better than having to use the desktop.

You can forget about navigating it with a remote though. Play/pause works in Xbox Video (using the Windows Media remote) but nothing else does.

Damn that looks nice. Much better than having like 10 rows of tiles.

The start screen looks pretty lousy with more than 4 rows or so.

PG2G

Would buy a Windows Kinect in a heartbeat for this if it worked. They really need to do something about that.

Would buy a Windows Kinect in a heartbeat for this if it worked. They really need to do something about that.

I just sold off my Xbox Kinect but I think I would jump back in for a decently priced one for Windows. It makes more sense.

JaggedSac

The media center pack for Windows 8 Pro seems to cost 13 Dollars / 10 Euros. http://www.windows8core.com/confirmed-windows-media-center-pack-for-windows-8-pro-would-cost-12-79/

Upgrading from Windows 8 (non-pro) seems to require the Pro Pack.

I seem to have the notion that the Media Center Pack would be free to those who upgrade during the promotional period. Is that the case?

EDIT: Here it is, I didn't see it in that link or the OP, so here is a snippet.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/...07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.

surly

Banned
I'm still not sure how the upgrade process works for Windows 8. What I want to do is this: -

Download the Windows 8 upgrade on my desktop. Wipe my dad's laptop and do a fresh install of Windows 8 on it, validating it using a Windows XP key from my old laptop.

Will this work?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Nice OP. Needs a funnier title though.

Not yet sure if I want to take advantage of the $40 upgrade or just stick with 7 until I get a new computer (when this one finishes dying).

Wubby

My current computer is using the Win 8 preview still.

I moved my old XP computer to work. Would I be able to buy the XP->8 upgrade on my computer at work but install it at home on my Win 8 preview machine instead?

Kaladin

I'm going for Amazon's promotion where you can get a $30 credit making the boxed version essentially the same as the digital upgrade. The only catch is the $30 credit takes 30 days to go to your account.

PG2G

Would love to see XBOX gamepad support added at some point for navigation.

I'm semi expecting Xbox Next to just be a Windows 8 box and that Microsoft will position it for the large screen instead by adding these extra input methods. Or maybe they will come to everything in the next Windows update.

Just checked my bank accounts and everything is set for my Acer W700. I dont preorder though, unless Amazon lists it, which is not the case yet. I'll probably go to my local retailer. Buying new stuff is more exciting if you go to the store!

Menelaus

Banned
So I can upgrade to Windows 8 for $39.99 digitally? Did not know that.

I use my computer on my TV and I wonder if Metro will be a better interface for that. Anyone with that setup now?

Yep, much better. I can now use my Logitech remote to d-pad my way through the start menu, it's fantastic!

Tobor

I just ordered an Alienware X51 this morning. I needed to make sure I got my order in before they came with Windows 8 installed. Victory!

Thanks guys, but I'm not currently in the U.S. so I'll need to see when my European Amazon lists it!

Can RT run two apps side by side?

Browser + Hulu would be awesome.

You have this "side"-snap feature with one app eating up most of the screen, with one being smaller at the side. should check out some videos to get an impression.

I'm going to pick up a fresh install 64-bit version after work (not an upgrade). All I need to do on my new PC is Gaf, game and art using photoshop and 3D Studio Max. Which version should I be looking to get?

Also what is the difference between these two?

Windows 8 (Full Version) - $99.99

Windows 8 Professional System Builder (Full Version) - $139.99

Thanks.

I'm going to pick up a fresh install 64-bit version after work (not an upgrade). All I need to do on my new PC is Gaf, game and art using photoshop and 3D Studio Max. Which version should I be looking to get?

Also what is the difference between these two?

Windows 8 (Full Version) - $99.99

Windows 8 Professional System Builder (Full Version) - $139.99

Thanks.

Check the OP, there is a list of information regarding the Windows 8 differences

Kaladin

Does anyone know if the settings in Windows Media Center will carry over? I'm talking about recorded shows and series set to record.....that kind of stuff. I have a feeling it won't with it being an add-on.

Any developers here?

One thing I really, really want for Windows 8 is a touchscreen input method for games or emulators . While I dont like touchscreen controls at all, I imagine having the tablet with you and being able to play "real" games with it, without the need of a controller or keyboard would be a fun addition.

Or does something like this exist already? I dont know

I'm semi expecting Xbox Next to just be a Windows 8 box and that Microsoft will position it for the large screen instead by adding these extra input methods. Or maybe they will come to everything in the next Windows update.

I see the next xbox UI being an even more streamlined WinRT. I'm ok with that.

Any developers here?

One thing I really, really want for Windows 8 is a touchscreen input method for games or emulators . While I dont like touchscreen controls at all, I imagine having the tablet with you and being able to play "real" games with it, without the need of a controller or keyboard would be a fun addition.

For metro games you say? I believe metro apps are required to work with touch and mouse+keyboard and pen interactions are handled by the Os without any extra work required. Controller support is optional (but is also easy to add).

As for current desktop games it wouldn't be so easy to support touch, but i guess if the developer wants it wouldn't be much of a trouble to support.

For metro games you say? I believe metro apps are required to work with touch and mouse+keyboard and pen interactions are handled by the Os without any extra work required. Controller support is optional (but is also easy to add).

As for current desktop games it wouldn't be so easy to support touch, but i guess if the developer wants it wouldn't be much of a trouble to support.

I mean for desktop software. Basically a touch overlay that is recognized as a valid input method or something

Any developers here?

Wouldn’t RT Games have this support or do you mean more of desktop games? Touch on the windows desktop is mostly setup to emulate a mouse. I could see someone releasing controls that would somehow emulate a controller via an onscreen overlay though they will need to have some sort of way to inject the inputs back into the controller's input stack and they would also need to somehow get the overlay on screen and allow options that will hopefully allow users to select placements that don't interfere with the game’s built-in HUD. I know fraps somehow manages to cheese in on a game's frame buffer so the overlay thing may be possible but I don't know how to inject information into a controller's stack without driver level access. I never tried creating system-level hooks like I know you could back in the Win32 API days for keyboard and mouse journals but if the option exists for the controller then that may be easy as well.

PG2G

I wonder why people keep expecting a Facebook app at launch. Didn't it take it like over a year for a Facebook app to come to the iPad? I believe their logic (at the time) was that the browser on a tablet was good enough.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
All the giant colored squares make it look like an OS design for retarded children.

Pass.

Quick question, currently running W7 on my netbook (yeah yeah I know) and it's been great but just wanted to know if W8 may be more efficient on it?

Thanks!

You can also close WinStore (Metro) apps with ALT+F4 keyboard shortcut. And also right clicking on the app thumbnail when you hover the mouse in the left corner then drag down. (There are snap options in the context menu there too).

No, that's currently not an option. It's probably my biggest gripe about Windows 8.

Well, that's true, but what does "all" mean? If you look at the search menu, it has dozens of apps you could potentially search across. Would it include all of those too? Or just some? If some, which ones? See what I mean?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just wondering but will students be able to get this for free again like Windows 7?

If your school has Dreamspark it's been available for free for over a month now.

I just ordered an Alienware X51 this morning. I needed to make sure I got my order in before they came with Windows 8 installed. Victory!

Thanks for letting us know your Windows 7 news. This is the perfect thread for it and we were all super curious!

Is there a way to search all and not just apps, files, etc separately?

The reason they did that is because search is universal and also searches within Metro apps. So you can search in your mail, the web, ebay app, wikipedia app etc all from the same interface.

Check the OP, there is a list of information regarding the Windows 8 differences
I'm not seeing where the OT explains the differences between Windows 8 (Full Version) - $99.99 and Windows 8 Professional System Builder (Full Version) - $139.99.

I can only gather through looking around online that the $99 version is the OEM and the $139 version is the standard version?

If all I want to do is install W8 on a PC I built myself, but have the option to tranfer to other PCs down the road, is the system bulder $139 version the one I should be interested in, or is there something else I should be looking into or avoid?

DagsJT

Tempted to install the Release Preview now so I'm more used to Windows 8 when I buy the upgrade at the end of the month. Windows 7 starting to feel a bit stale.

SPDIF

Quick question, currently running W7 on my netbook (yeah yeah I know) and it's been great but just wanted to know if W8 may be more efficient on it?

Thanks!

From the OP:

Can my computer run Windows 8?
Windows 8 takes up less resources than Windows 7 so it should run even in older computers.
If you want to make sure, you can use the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant which will check
to make sure your PC is ready for Windows 8.

Here's a comparison.

ibzktM0sKMMjFM.png

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Tempted to install the Release Preview now so I'm more used to Windows 8 when I buy the upgrade at the end of the month. Windows 7 starting to feel a bit stale.

Just wait unless you don't care about having to reinstall all your software again.

Top Bottom