• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 95/98 Games Memories / Recommendation Thread

Cavalier

Banned
Inspired by manzoman96's Dos games thread. Yep it's that time period when Pentium 2 MMX took over the world up until Pentium 3 1Ghz came out and set the world on fire. When ATI had terrible drivers for 3D applications but we tolerated it because it was the only option we had. That is until 3DFX & Nvidia came out with proper 3D accelerators and dropped the bomb on everyone. The good old days when 56k was the norm and Cable/DSL connection was just about to take over. Can be from pre- or post- 3d acceleration era. What were you playing on PC back then when I was playing these games?

Some I remember

Omikron: The Nomad Soul :
112377.jpg

Rainbow Six:
RainbowSix_PC_14.png

Interstate 76:
551636-interstate-76-windows-screenshot-chasing-down-calisto-on-the.png

Motorhead:
maxresdefault.jpg

Hover and Chip's Challenge were just about everything I played as a kid. I still remember some of the level codes for CC.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
-Hover
hover1.jpg

-Spiderman Cartoon Maker:
scm_01.jpg

I easily spent the most time with this thing. Loved it so much.

Other games were:
-Myst
-Lennys Multimedia circus

Then there was a million dos games:
-Duke 3D
-Strife (game was awesome)
-ROTT shareware campaign
-Terminal Velocity
-Wacky Wheels
-Duke Nukem 1-3

One game I remember not liking was Mario's Time Machine. The intro with the SMW graphics were such a tease and I'd rather just be playing SMW.

AlexMogil

Interstate 76 was the shit. THE SHIT. Playing that online was so much fun.

Mech warrior 3 was great, too. It was one of my first super complex mech games. I played it with the Gravis Phoenix:

24621167.jpg

Look at that sexy beast. LOOK AT IT.

In truth my friend helped design that controller and my first piece of advice to him was to replace that stick immediately. They did with a molded controller.

scm_01.jpg

Oh man that hits right in the nostalgia. I remember my friends and I playing that thing to death. I had completely forgotten about it and now I want to mess around with it again for old time's sake. Wow.

Zizbuka

Banned
Heretic II
heretic2_01_big.jpg

Loved this game, and it had quite a cult following. Lots of devoted fan sites.

Just tried to get it to run on Win8........... no luck :(

roytheone

First game I ever played on windows 95:

Unreal. Everybody always talks about doom and quake, and both games are very good, but the first unreal is very overlooked. Too bad the series is dead because of the disappointing Unreal II :(. (No, unreal tournament doesn't count, I see that as a different series).

gabbo

First game I ever played on windows 95:

Unreal. Everybody always talks about doom and quake, and both games are very good, but the first unreal is very overlooked. Too bad the series is dead because of the disappointing Unreal II :(. (No, unreal tournament doesn't count, I see that as a different series).

Epic really should have taken a longer look at Legend before handing it over to them.

pashmilla

Banned
Lauras_Happy_Adventures.JPG

My first video game. I played the shit out of it on Windows 98 when I was a kid, even though our terrible Tiny laptop meant that all the characters' faces (as well as a few plot-relevant items) were invisible.

orava

Man so many memories, anyone remember this oddity?
436258-hyperblade-windows-screenshot-direct3d-in-game-actions.png

Man I think a trip to GOG.com is in order

I remember playing demo of this from a gaming magazine cd. I just wanted a "modern" proper speedball 2 sequel those days.

Cavalier

Banned
How is Omikron? Does it have controller support? I have it on steam, the only Q Dream game I still need to play.

Not sure haven't tried playing it today. I just remember being blown away by the game due to 3D free-roaming environment it featured. I was able to just walk around the city or call a cab. Go into the building to get to my apartment. Visit a restaurant to meet up with someone. It was just insane for its time.

Anyone remember this shit?

1201969-foto_outwars.jpg

Outwars

I remember seeing it on PC Gamer magazine back then. How was that??

Another game I was obsessed with back then: Heavy Gear 2. It was glitchy as F but was fun to stomp on little people.

8a3664_51bf36246e039.jpg

islide3.gif

Man so many memories, anyone remember this oddity?
436258-hyperblade-windows-screenshot-direct3d-in-game-actions.png

Man I think a trip to GOG.com is in order
Oh dang. I remember this (Hyperblade for those that need a name). It came with one of those off-brand video cards designed to enable 3D acceleration back when 3D acceleration was very new.

I almost didn't give the game a chance back in the day, but I eventually learned how to play it (it was kinda easy IIRC). Movement was fun. Also had a Running Man "gruesome game show in a cynical future" angle to the setting.

deadman69

scm_01.jpg

I used to spend hours on this, loved it.

This was the hot stuff:

TvfY40s.jpg

Descent II

I've been trying to remember this game for ages after i remembered about Hover(after watching a giantbomb video), i remembered there was a game that was like Hover but was more of a combat game and here it is.

Jyrii

Banned
Back in the day when my parents decided to buy our first computer I was promised one game as a christmas gift. For the whole time my father was choosing the computer, I browsed through the games section. I almost picked Fade to Black, but my father suggested Command & Conquer instead. I think he had asked the store clerk for a suitable game.

Unfortunately I could never get C&C to run on that computer. Apparently the processor we had was not compatible with the game.

Later on I got Tie Fighter which ended up being one of my favorite games ever.

Elios83

Tomb Raider II

image_310634_16x9_620.jpg

Rayman 2:

rayman-2-the-great-escape-image939656.jpg

Monkey Island 3
MI3.gif

Grim Fandango (god bless the remaster we're getting next year)
Grim-Fandango1.jpg

Unreal
Unreal-Screenshot.jpg

Half Life
halflife.jpg

Silver
silver-image754129.jpg

Final Fantasy VII and VIII (yeah played those first on PC!)

Final+Fantasy+VII+Screenshot+Don+Corneo's+mansion.jpg

garden_game2.jpg

I have really great memories of those games in the lates 90s =)

DaBuddaDa

I've been trying to remember this game for ages after i remembered about Hover(after watching a giantbomb video), i remembered there was a game that was like Hover but was more of a combat game and here it is.

Descent 1 2 and 3 are all classics IMO.

Funny enough, they were made by people still around today, now as Volition, making the Saint's Row games.

NeoFaff

I only had a few games on Win98 but these were awesome:

Midtown Madness 2 - racing game with 2 massive maps: San Francisco and London
midtown_madness2_bemutato_03.jpg

Kingpin - gritty FPS which I think was actually the first to implement gun mods
kingpin-1.jpg

Re-volt - you race RC cars around amazing tracks. The best game on Windows 98 :p
2.jpeg

Top Bottom