• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2010 Anime Thread: Wandering Son & All the Other Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oh yay, Beelzebub and Kimi ni Todoke! That should fill my shonen and shoujo requirements.

Fractale and Wandering Son both look like they have high potential. Those plus whatever surprise hit inevitably pops up could mean for a very strong season this time around.

EDIT: Reading the description for Wandering Son has made me realize that I've actually read the original manga before. Huh, never expected that story to get an anime adaption.

mollipen

Not since I saw the trailer for the NA release of Adolescence of Utena back in like 2000 or so have I been as furiously excited to see an anime as I am right now.

houroumusuko.jpg

mollipen

InfiniteNine said:
I promote the use of crossdressing characters in my anime. We clearly need more.

Not to mean anything against your comment, but for anybody not familiar with Hourou Musuko (Wandering Son), this is not just a show about characters crossdressing. Far, far deeper than that, so if you have any interest in quality anime (which I'm expecting it to be, based on the manga) please don't write it off as fetish fluff.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wasn't talking fetish-wise really even though I do enjoy crossdressing that way. I've read up on it, so I know this very well. :lol I'd just like to see them in more stuff if appropriate.

Anth0ny

Not sure if this is the right place to post about it, but whatever.

Just saw Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya for the first time, and GOD DAMN that was some of the best anime I've seen in a long time :D

Kyon's
inner battle
was tooooooo good.

shidoshi said:
Not since I saw the trailer for the NA release of Adolescence of Utena back in like 2000 or so have I been as furiously excited to see an anime as I am right now.

houroumusuko.jpg

its interesting that its a
girl
on the extreme left and a
dude
in the middle (IIRC).

Anth0ny said:

Just saw Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya for the first time, and GOD DAMN that was some of the best anime I've seen in a long time :D

Kyon's
inner battle
was tooooooo good.

not a lot of people seem to care about lesser Haruhi here(?_.

need to get caught up to this series again one of these days.

Wandering Son is already coming out!?
2a4pcnr.jpg

Between Wandering Son and Kimi ni Todoke Season 2, I don't think I can contain the happy.
1z19zjq.jpg

Branduil

I'm still holding out hope that Fractale will be good.

GOSICK... well, it can't be much worse than Star Driver.

Kimi ni Todoke 2 should be fine as long as it's as good as the first season.

And I'll have to at least check out Madoka Magica.

Geneijin

Anth0ny said:

Kyon's
inner battle
was tooooooo good.

*spoilers*
Magnificent.

mAcOdIn

Hmmm, so the only show with a woman is Rio-Rainbow Gate and the only shows with a man is Wolverine and Level-E. Dark times indeed.

I guess I'll place my bets on Gosick starting interesting but falling apart, Fractale being a hair above generic and Wandering Son may end up halfway decent. That's my prediction for the three I think will be the strongest shows despite not knowing much about any of them.

Also, poor Deen, to have to go from one reverse harem to another and this one not even having dudes with swords, poor guys.
Anth0ny said:

Kyon's
inner battle
was tooooooo good.
Anytime she's barely present in her own show it turns out to be one of the better episodes.

Branduil

mAcOdIn said:
I guess I'll place my bets on Gosick starting interesting but falling apart
A Bones show that falls apart? No way.

Well that would be better than Star Driver which has little to fall apart.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Looks like I'll be watching: Fractale, Wandering Son, Yumekui Merry (though the PV's aren't exactly instilling me with hope), Gosick (looks lame but I'll at least watch the first episode) and Madoka Magica (Wideface magical girl stuff...errr I might just catch up on Heartcatch instead) and whatever else I might be forgetting.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Waiting for my copy of Haruhi to arrive (sooo expensive for a single movie). From what I hear it's pretty phenomenal though.

zoku88

Nonoriri said:
Looks like I'll be watching: Fractale, Wandering Son, Yumekui Merry (though the PV's aren't exactly instilling me with hope), Gosick (looks lame but I'll at least watch the first episode) and Madoka Magica (Wideface magical girl stuff...errr I might just catch up on Heartcatch instead) and whatever else I might be forgetting.
I tried reading Yumekui Merry a while ago. It was kind of boring. Maybe it will be better in anime form (but... that almost never happens....)

Dresden said:
stuff iirc
I prolly should've guessed that. What weird slang.

And am I the only one whose heart melts upon sight of luca's avatar?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
shidoshi said:

houroumusuko.jpg
We need more hype up in this bitch

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Summer was Moe and Mecha, Fall was Incest is Wincest and Winter is crossdressing? :p

Infinite Justice said:
not a lot of people seem to care about lesser Haruhi here(?_.

need to get caught up to this series again one of these days.

The movie was an hour too long. And Nagato is still the main character. That's about all I remember of the film, sadly. :lol

cosmicblizzard said:
Well it was supposed to be!

Am I final post yet?

Fall thread quote!
Yeah, I don't think the premise was more than just an excuse. I suppose the light novels must go into it and explain the heck out of it though.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
zoku88 said:
I tried reading Yumekui Merry a while ago. It was kind of boring. Maybe it will be better in anime form (but... that almost never happens....)

I'm only on board for KYASHAN director Shigeyasu Yamauchi.

Geneijin

zoku88 said:
I'm not very hopeful that it'll be with J.C. Staff involved.

Its quite amazing how quickly Belzebub was adopted, i remembered when it just started..

Also I found it strange that an old ass series like Level-E is getting adopted, though more Togashi is always a good thing.

This somewhat gives me hope that one day they will animate the final arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

duckroll

flawfuls said:
Also I don't think anyone posted this in the old thread

Footage from Yoshitaka Amano's Deva Zan. It looks really nice, but I really wish it was hand drawn instead of CG.

I prefer it this way honestly. There is no way to fully capture Amano's full range of art and design aesthetic in a hand drawn piece unless Amano draws every single frame himself, which is not something Amano is going to do. It's also way too hard to outsource inbetween animation when you have art so distinct and non-standard. CG is probably the best way to go because then Amano can directly supervise allt he models, textures, and environments himself, and other people can animate them to his liking without it losing the distinct look.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dresden said:
I even put it in the title, what more do you folks need!
Did Mikami stop with RE? Did Kamiya stop with DMC? No they didn't. You ask what more do I need? I say the world is not enough.

zoku88

Nonoriri said:
I'm only on board for KYASHAN director Shigeyasu Yamauchi.
Errrr. I forgot about that.... Sigh, I guess I'll give it a shot.

I actually have yet to watch the second season of Haruhi. But I heard about E8 :lol :lol

I had actually thought Disappearance was a movie version of the second season. Is it actually a sequel?

mollipen

InfiniteNine said:
I wasn't talking fetish-wise really even though I do enjoy crossdressing that way. I've read up on it, so I know this very well. :lol I'd just like to see them in more stuff if appropriate.

I have no concern over you and your understanding of the show, I just want to make sure that people who don't take the time to, for example, read the big write-up in the OP and who aren't really familiar with the story don't get the wrong idea. Not that I don't love a wacky gender-bender series or two, but I can understand why many people wouldn't care for a lot of examples that do come out, and I want them to know that Wandering Son is very different.

Geneijin

The Disappearance movie is a sequel without getting into spoilers.

firehawk12 said:
Summer was Moe and Mecha, Fall was Incest is Wincest and Winter is crossdressing? :p
Never a dull moment when it's anime.

luka said:
Waiting for my copy of Haruhi to arrive (sooo expensive for a single movie). From what I hear it's pretty phenomenal though.
Don't tempt me. I'm on playasia trying to stop myself from hitting purchase.

Anth0ny

So I just now realized Disappearance was 2 hours and 42 minutes long :lol

It honestly didn't feel like it. I enjoyed it way too much :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
shidoshi said:
I have no concern over you and your understanding of the show, I just want to make sure that people who don't take the time to, for example, read the big write-up in the OP and who aren't really familiar with the story don't get the wrong idea. Not that I don't love a wacky gender-bender series or two, but I can understand why many people wouldn't care for a lot of examples that do come out, and I want them to know that Wandering Son is very different.
Clearly you have it wrong. The voice of anime is the boy, who looks like a girl, who all the other boys want to do, but he is a boy. So he's gonna have to be all Tsun Tsun about being dressed like a girl. But secretly love it and it drives everyone wild. So they have to continually come up with these great writing ideas to get him in a dress.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
shintoki said:
Clearly you have it wrong. The voice of anime is the boy, who looks like a girl, who all the other boys want to do, but he is a boy. So he's gonna have to be all Tsun Tsun about being dressed like a girl. But secretly love it and it drives everyone wild. So they have to continually come up with these great writing ideas to get him in a dress.
I know this is sarcasm but for a second there?

I raged.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Houkago no Pleiades? Didn't know that was coming out this season. I'm still hyping that show to be better then BONES gosick. Because gainax > bones.

Azure J

I forgot all about Beelzebub's anime coming up in this season early... This is gonna be a great season if it holds up to the manga's standards of funny.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
shidoshi said:
Well I hope the thread for it should be informative to this at least! Looking forward to it myself since it seems to be adapted from some good material that deals with some of the difficulties someone would face with their gender identity. I fully expect to enjoy it for different reasons than I enjoy stuff like Sazanami Cherry or Prunus Girl for. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Anth0ny said:

Kyon's
inner battle
was tooooooo good.

Yeah, it was a good rendition of the 4th novel.

Now when is the Blu-Ray getting a USA release? I want to support Haruhi as much as possible.

firehawk12 said:
It's the sequel to OreImo!

Yeah...if you think that you better stop right there.

Dresden said:
I think Disappearance is a sequel, in that it animates another novel or something.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (novel #1) - Season 1
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya (novel #2) - Season 2
The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (novel #3) - Season 1
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (novel #4) - Movie #1

mAcOdIn

Hcoregamer00 said:
Now when is the Blu-Ray getting a USA release? I want to support Haruhi as much as possible.
If you really wanted to support Haruhi you'd bite at the 95 dollar movie! Holy shit at the Legend of the Galactic Heroes Blurays, Jesus. I could probably buy a car for what they'd all cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom