• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2010 Anime Thread: Wandering Son & All the Other Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
s597U.jpg

Haiyoru! Nyaruani is about moe Cthulu or something. The flash episodes were god-awful. Generic moe desecration of an English classic.

Fucking Japan

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
mAcOdIn said:
If you really wanted to support Haruhi you'd bite at the 95 dollar movie! Holy shit at the Legend of the Galactic Heroes Blurays, Jesus. I could probably buy a car for what they'd all cost.

Nah, I rather support them smart, like buying the USA release of the Yen Press novels and getting the Japanese novels.

firehawk12 said:
Summer was Moe and Mecha, Fall was Incest is Wincest and Winter is crossdressing? :p

Huh? Are there a preponderance of crossdressing anime this season? I only see one.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
zoku88 said:
And am I the only one whose heart melts upon sight of luca's avatar?

It causes a great deal of emotional trauma, but I don't have the heart to change it. ;A;

flawfuls

duckroll said:
I prefer it this way honestly. There is no way to fully capture Amano's full range of art and design aesthetic in a hand drawn piece unless Amano draws every single frame himself, which is not something Amano is going to do. It's also way too hard to outsource inbetween animation when you have art so distinct and non-standard. CG is probably the best way to go because then Amano can directly supervise allt he models, textures, and environments himself, and other people can animate them to his liking without it losing the distinct look.

I can see where you're coming from, this definitely captures his style better that Angel's Egg. Still I'm just not a huge fan of CG and I think Angel's Egg looked better. I really shouldn't be complaining about the visuals though, it looks amazing as it is.

Hcoregamer00

InfiniteNine said:
Firehawk just likes being wrong.

Yeah, not to mention that the sequel to Kampfer (a gender bending series) is getting a March release. That means it qualifies for Spring season....right?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wandering Son is so good. I'm going to gush about it right here. The entire narrative is driven by the strength of its characters, who are all adorable but also more mature than 99% of characters in anime and manga. Their one greatest flaw is that they are too mature. They are not realistic as kids, or even as adults. Adults wish they could be as simultaneously intelligent yet also innocent as the cast of Wandering Son. The manga is also unbelievably immersive. You can read the whole thing without ever getting a clear idea of the main focus but you'll love it every step of the way. It's not a "HEY LET'S TALK ABOUT GENDER ISSUES" kind of thing. The crossdressing just happens, as if gender confusion is the most natural thing in the world. Wandering Son doesn't really tell a story. The story is already there. Wandering Son is just a way of letting you see it.

Also the art is ace.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
InfiniteNine said:
Well I hope the thread for it should be informative to this at least! Looking forward to it myself since it seems to be adapted from some good material that deals with some of the difficulties someone would face with their gender identity. I fully expect to enjoy it for different reasons than I enjoy stuff like Sazanami Cherry or Prunus Girl for. :lol
Feels like Glen Beck attempting to praise universal health care

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
this season looks kind of disappointing. :\ moe lovecraft and the subaru crossover look interesting, i guess.

good thing im a marathoner and can now start watching fall shows!

Haly

Maybe once the manga is finished they'll do more.

Right?

Right!?

zoku88

flawfuls said:
Probably around thirteen like almost all Noitamina shows.
That's a shame. I can't remember the manga all that well, but a nice ending event for the anime feels like it take a rush for the anime to reach that point in 13 eps.

Haly

::sobs quietly in a corner::

Also I kind of want a Sleeping Planet anime.

shidoshi said:
Not enough.
Don't say that. :( That's like saying there won't be another season of Aoi Hana.
344qbe8.jpg

For happier news, it looks like the first volume of Wandering Son is being released in NA this coming March. :O Link.

mAcOdIn

Pandaman said:
good thing im a marathoner and can now start watching fall shows!
I hope you mean fall shows from 2008 because there's not really anything I think is worth marathoning from this or the last Fall seasons.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Was Aoi Hana the shoujo ai series with the short brunette and the tall meganekko, or am I thinking of Sasameki Koto

Jex

So basically it's just Wandering Son. I don't really have hopes for any other show.

MAZINKAISER SKL will obviously be good, as will Redline so at least that's something to pass the time.

Jex

Oh, and Kimi ni Todoke S2, if I ever get around to S1.

But sadly, I know in my heart that there won't be nearly enough slapping :(

jman2050

mAcOdIn said:
I hope you mean fall shows from 2008 because there's not really anything I think is worth marathoning from this or the last Fall seasons.

Panty and Stocking is not going away no matter how hard you try to ignore it!

Instro

Probably watch Wondering Son for sure, probably check into a few others as well. Beezelbub, Level-E, and Fractale could be interesting.

mAcOdIn

jman2050 said:
Panty and Stocking is not going away no matter how hard you try to ignore it!
It's not that good, my pick of the season, Squid Girl, is also not so good that I need to recommend it once it's over either so I'm being perfectly fair.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Nah, I rather support them smart, like buying the USA release of the Yen Press novels and getting the Japanese novels.
While I'm Haruhi'd out as I don't like the direction the newer novels go while we're on the subject of Yen Press I got the third Spice and Wolf novel in the mail from Rightstuf today. God damn western style slip cover, ah well, at least this time, like last time, they got the real cover right and the inferior cover is the slip cover although I'd prefer a hardcover like the Haruhi novels.

Hcoregamer00

Regarding the Dissapearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Long-Haired Haruhi is so awesome.

Reminds me back in Episode 1 on Season 1 when I was very very disappointed when she cut her hair. She looks much better with longer hair.

Of course, I do have a strong preference towards characters with long hair.

mAcOdIn said:
While I'm Haruhi'd out as I don't like the direction the newer novels go while we're on the subject of Yen Press I got the third Spice and Wolf novel in the mail from Rightstuf today. God damn western style slip cover, ah well, at least this time, like last time, they got the real cover right and the inferior cover is the slip cover although I'd prefer a hardcover like the Haruhi novels.

Yeah, the direction of the newer volumes is lacking compared to the ingenuity of the first batch of books. Good Job on Spice and Wolf. That is the other novel I am collecting along with the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise.

I wish they would release the Maria-sama ga Miteru novels, that would be awesome.

Jex

And why doesn't Mazinkaiser get it's own picture, dammit?

For those keeping track of your moe varieties we apparently get - Lovecraftian moe, detective moe, zombie moe, comedy moe, brother-sister moe, occult moe, Gainax moe, and Black Lagoon.

And they say variety in anime is dead!

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Of course, I do have a strong preference towards characters with long hair.
You don't say. I couldn't tell :p

Short > Long.

@luca : I did like the rich, tough girl. I've actually never seen the anime, I was basing my comments off of the manga. I always forget that the anime exists, Im a pretty manga centric person :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom