• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars

Well, that was interesting. Is this supposed to be the best way to get into LOGH though? I know it's a prequel to the main series and the first thing that was released, but it seemed like there was a lot of characters crammed into it (only three of whom whose names I actually caught :lol) with very little backstory as to what was going on.

In any case, interesting stuff. Liked the Bolero ship battle.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 20
tumblr_lzn0h1uwN91romhklo8_250.gif

Ignoring the questionable musical selections and odd way of telling the story that was a phenomenal episode that has just left me completely stunned.
Its been a while since Ive been this torn over a character, Killua crushed and then disqualified. He was the best character in the series and now completely out has just left me in shock. I dont know if I can keep watching if he is truly out of the anime, he wasnt even in the preview, and as if Illumi would apologize. Without a hunter license there is no way he can even stay around or truly become friends with Gon :( Fanfics?

Killua is like a cooler version of Sasuke.

I... see. I think I'll skip this.

Well, that was interesting. Is this supposed to be the best way to get into LOGH though? I know it's a prequel to the main series and the first thing that was released, but it seemed like there was a lot of characters crammed into it (only three of whom whose names I actually caught :lol) with very little backstory as to what was going on.

No, My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is best watched after you've gone through the entire OVA series and can appreciate the cameos of people who would later become more significant to the story. The series itself has handy nametags which help you keep the multitude of characters straight.

The Bolero battle is indeed amazing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hunter x Hunter (2011) 20
tumblr_lzn0h1uwN91romhklo8_250.gif

Ignoring the questionable musical selections and odd way of telling the story that was a phenomenal episode that has just left me completely stunned.
Its been a while since Ive been this torn over a character, Killua crushed and then disqualified. He was the best character in the series and now completely out has just left me in shock. I dont know if I can keep watching if he is truly out of the anime, he wasnt even in the preview, and as if Illumi would apologize. Without a hunter license there is no way he can even stay around or truly become friends with Gon :( Fanfics?

Killua is like a cooler version of Sasuke.

:lol :lol :lol @ your spoiler.

iavi

Nise 6

Solid episode, with the lead-in to the next featuring Shinobu being the best scene, imo; their conversation was aptly witty, as was
how much of a fake-out it was( though I guess it really wasn't if you consider...

Nise 7

Cont:
Karen as the actual 'last-boss,' which I definitely think she was, given how this ep played out.

Great episode all around. The fight was animated well, and its resolution actually did resonate. As for the endgame, I did not at all expect them to play on
Senjou being an absolutely immature drama-queen.
And I'm actually pretty happy about that; a payoff definitely worth the bit of suffering.

----

Overall, that arc bored the shit out of me, but its conclusion in itself was the strongest of either monogatari's thus far, imo. Weird.

/XX/

Dude, it has an ahegao face.
多田ミクさん / ナルパジン さんのイラスト - ニコニコ静画 (イラスト) said:
http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/seiga/im1788923

And can still be very creepy (different levels of creepy from earlier models, nonetheless), among other things:

Tda式Appendミク タグのイラスト一覧 - ニコニコ静画 (イラスト)
http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/tag/Tda式Appendミク

It looks like our hapless hero is going to be in trouble with genki girl and tsundere girl going head to head for his affection.

It's cool because in the other show the protagonist had a hoodie and there was a girl with a big pet, it's like a reference or something.
I take back what I said, I don't think a sloth is going to be able to save this shit. :|
Rinne no Lagrange has some weird tonal shifts. A semi-angsty episode ending leads to a fanservice themed episode?
Gotta keep them otaku interested, and also give them boners so they will buy the eventual body pillows.

Jex

No, the best way is through Overture to a New War, which is literally the opening of the original series, but as a movie with improvements.

Jex

Nise 6
[...]Overall, that arc bored the shit out of me, but its conclusion in itself was the strongest of either monogatari's thus far, imo. Weird.

I don't think it's especially weird. I mean, lots of people have been complaining about the pacing throughout the whole arc, rather than the writing. The writing is pretty similar to how it's always been.
Rinne no Lagrange has some weird tonal shifts. A semi-angsty episode ending leads to a fanservice themed episode?

Well a silly fun episode led into the semi-angsty episode so it's not terribly surprising.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Every time I see a new picture of Dudereka it halves my interest in E7AO.

Fuck you Bones :( It looks like today's Lagrange will cheer me up significantly, at least.

Jex

[Glass Fleet 1 -5]

This show is legitimately amazing. I kept thinking that it would be impossible for Cleo and Vetti to one-up the homoerotic undertones that are present when your spaceship is a giant phallus but I was so very wrong.

I'm pretty sure the dub script writers and actors are playing it up as well, which makes it even better.

Only if you're self labelling as 'pedoGAF'.

*Examines the last few pages*

Hmmm.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lagrange 07:
It was glorious.

The fanservicey bits were a bit too distracting considering how well this episode handled the emotional bits though. And one thing did bother me:
every time they animate tears like marbles I can't help but laugh. That's not how tears work, dammit.

Gundam Age 19

I doubt I would ever want to pilot a Genoace II or Adele. They seem quite weak. Zedas R has the best looking flight mode, compared to G Strider's. They could have given more epic poses for Gundam Age II, though it looks cool, would be nice if had the poses of the G-Exes from Age I, and Gundam Titus (standing in front of an explosion as the smoke clears, and gleams). But this was the second or so appearance.

Millais looks cool, but kind of aged a bit too much. Desil in the preview? Please appear. Dique kind of cool.

Yami

Lagrange caught up on this today, damn, it is such a good show. Clean animation, awesome designs, great cast - can't think of much wrong!

DiGiKerot

So it looks like the Sunrise Idolmaster ripoff is due to air next year, they better not have that CGI shit mixed in with the animation in the actual anime, save that for the precure Eds.

You know, I'm pretty sure that all that LoveLive stuff is produced by Sunrise Studio 8.

Which is, you know, the division of the studio that produced Xenoglossia. I'm sure that there's something hilarious about that.

[Glass Fleet 1 -5]

This show is legitimately amazing. I kept thinking that it would be impossible for Cleo and Vetti to one-up the homoerotic undertones that are present when your spaceship is a giant phallus but I was so very wrong.

I'm pretty sure the dub script writers and actors are playing it up as well, which makes it even better.

Only if you're self labelling as 'pedoGAF'.

*Examines the last few pages*

Hmmm.

Way to go proving him right in his mind :p

I'm pretty sure that still happens.
http://d.imagehost.org/0554/2_6.jpg

That fucking swag

7Th

Lagrange 07:
It was glorious.

The fanservicey bits were a bit too distracting considering how well this episode handled the emotional bits though. And one thing did bother me:
every time they animate tears like marbles I can't help but laugh. That's not how tears work, dammit.

Marble are way more realistic than the most frequent "constant stream of water" tears:

nYHWY.gif

50% silly, 100% lazy.

Articalys

Wait, they're actually making a full anime based on that μ's LoveLive project? In retrospect I guess it was kind of an inevitability.

Stellvia of the Universe 3

stellvia3%201.png

Bet you guys didn't think anyone would still be playing Ultima in 2356.

Dawww, some really cute Shima moments in this episode, lots of blushing with the introduction of the inevitable
love interest/boyfriend pilot
that is not nearly as awkward as it sounds. Plenty of comedy too and even some insight into the plot of what the Stellvia is all about (and what humanity does to pass time 187 years after being brought to the brink of extinction). Oh yeah and a little fanservice, same as last episode, not too much but it's there. Not nearly enough to please today's demanding otaku.

stellvia3%202.png

This my boy is the internet. Beware of Pedo-GAF.

Have to say I'm liking the characters, there's quite a large main cast but they all seem fairly varied and interesting. Shame they look so squished up between those two obnoxious black boxes at either side of the screen.

stellvia3%204.png

Space Pirates 7

Did anyone else think this had a lot of sexual undertones? This felt... weird. Also there was Chiaki Omigawa.

I don't see the sexual undertones. I just think the show takes itself too seriously. Come on! It's a show about a skirt wearing high school space pirate captain. The last week episode was pretty perfect but please no silly techobubble anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom