• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ultimate Girl 1

I watched this show solely on the recommendation of the late Cajunator, so he takes all the blame for this.

QFGdm.jpg
To start with, our trio of female highschool students (so original) are enjoying a leisurely walk in the park, when a giant rubber-suit godzilla-esque monster appears.

Just in the nick of time to save the day comes the gallant hero, UFO-man. He coincidentally is the size of a medium skyscraper, just like the monster.Unfortunately, our hero never learned to watch his step, and so our trio of females are squished to a pulp, exhibit A. UFO-man, suitably embarrassed by his little blunder, decides to make up for it by giving a little bit of his power to each of them. The monster is still rampaging, but, without power, UFO-man can't take care of it. Naturally, it falls on our plucky protagonist (who's named Silk for some reason) to transform into a skyscraper and save the day.
This involves grabbing UFO-man's... thing, exhibit B. She is not impressed by it, though - exhibit C.

Any way, now Silk has silver hair and is giant too.
Unfortunately, UFO-man used up so much of his energy on her that she doesn't have enough to fight. However, all is not lost. For some as of yet unexplained reason, her clothes begin melting - exhibit D(you probably shouldn't click this at work). As she desperately tries to get away, her clothes finally disappear altogether. Right on cue, she suddenly gets a power up and blows the monster away with a single attack.

And then there's a super classy ED.
I'm not sure why they bothered being classy at all, considering this is the kind of show that gives anime a bad name.

Again, Cajun is entirely responsible for this, I am innocent.

I'm not sure I've spoil tagged this right. If you think I didn't tag enough, I can add more.

It's hard to describe Rinne really, it just gives Nadesico vibes with how fun it is. I like the mecha too of course and there's not really much to choose from this season. Only other thing I'm watching is ZnTF :\ (for the SxL romance, ironically. Maybe I'm just doing it all wrong.)
If there's any show you should be watching this season, it's Natsume.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
daily lives of highschool boys - 04

uCP2Hl.jpg

Oh, man. Ringo.

Oh man, totally forgot - that episode reminded me of the opening of High School Girls, where the main characters head to an all-girls school thinking it'd be this utopian paradise, before seeing that girls have very little incentive to keep up appearances without boys around.
Now that I think about it, Seitokai no Yakuindomo had cutaway scenes where girls were throwing tampons at each other as if it was no big deal.
People like destabilizing the myth of the girl's school, it seems.

It's hard to describe Rinne really, it just gives Nadesico vibes with how fun it is. I like the mecha too of course and there's not really much to choose from this season. Only other thing I'm watching is ZnTF :\ (for the SxL romance, ironically. Maybe I'm just doing it all wrong.)
I dunno... Moretsu Pirates feels more like a comedy-parody (mostly because of how dumb it can be) than Rinne, which feels like a standard service show with a tremendous amount of yuri shipping.

Tell me more about this coinage that you're minting.
It's the new currency of animegaf. Gundam on one side, hnnnng on the other side.

Natsume Yuujinchou?

I haven't seen the prequel(s?), does that matter?
It's mostly stand-alone, like an American procedural actually.

Geneijin

I'll take your word for it, though in the end it's only really speculation. If Rinne or any other otaku-oriented anime removed it's pandering, it would only really doing so for the better if it filled the void with something more substantial. While you could say that much is subjective, I'd wager most of us weren't drawn to Japanese animation for ecchi.
Otaku-oriented anime isn't what you think it means. There's pandering, there's fanservice, and there's fanservice anime. There's a distinction you aren't making yourself aware of. And I'm not only talking about ecchi, which you seem to be doing. I'm talking about fanservice in general. Rinne isn't an otaku-oriented anime. It's pandering.

Also, removing pandering and replacing it with more substance isn't as simplistic as you're putting it. You're assuming "substantial" also means it'll be competently done when I can use a similar argument that the incompetent staff will just be as bad if given more time to add substance i.e. Aquarion Evol and Inu x Boku.

Natsume Yuujinchou?

I haven't seen the prequel(s?), does that matter?

Theoretically you could jump straight into the fourth season, since the first episode briefly goes over the basic premise, but I wouldn't recommend it. You should really watch the first two seasons, because they're extremely good in their own right, and then pick up wih the current one. From what I understand, though I haven't seen it myself, the third season had some issues which make it skippable.

Jex

I don't remember all of that terribly clearly, but I recall being glad they didn't delve into it further in retrospect.
I can see it potentially being a jumping-off point where they might have spent too much time over-explaining things to make the premise make more sense, or just taken the plot in another direction with it. I'm kind of glad we are left in the dark as much as we were, but I probably need to see it again before I can say anything beyond that.

Yeah, I don't think it would have benefited the film in any major way, I feel like the backstory of the world isn't something I'd want explained in further depth.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 01
Wait...is this the stair-climbing sequence that gets turned into stock footage for the rest of the series? It's pretty neat, I guess I wouldn't mind watching it again.
You say that now.
The end of that duel doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.
Yeah, don't be expecting much out of the fights.*
deal with it...

and call me a pervert otaku because I enjoy the show is the first step to be the first one on my ignore list.
You would put Jexhius on your ignore list? Seriously? That would be really petty. I don't even put people on my ignore list.

*I've only seen the first twelve episodes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I have an Arjuna avatar unironically, my taste is not necessarily a benchmark for anyone to follow...

It's been a long time since I watched it but Fafner has difficulty in grounding its melodrama in sympathetic characters; there are too many, they don't get enough screen time, and the "dramatic" conceit of the Fafners (that whoever rides in them has their personality amplified to become some kind of exaggeration) only really serves to caricature the supporting characters while emphasising the "awesomeness" of the central trio of Kazuki, Soushi and Maya.

Lagrange, from what I've watched of it, has potentially interesting characters, but they're let down by the show refusing to let them just be and giving them moe tics etc.

An enormous heap of wasted minor characters lies upon Fafner's pile. Out of all of the problems I had with the show, completely unsympathetic leads was one of the things that bothered me the most.

A problem with the Lagrange characters is that their moe charm points are derived from the very foundations of their personalities, so it becomes difficult to separate what their actual character is from what exists solely as extraneous pander. Madoka is genki, Lan is shy, and so on, and these qualities that influence their every action in the show seem to be what fans find attractive. Does this make them poorly-written characters if letting them "just be" would nearly strip them of their entire personalities? I'm of the mind that characters can act in stereotypically anime ways without that necessarily being a form of pandering, which further clouds things.

Theoretically you could jump straight into the fourth season, since the first episode briefly goes over the basic premise, but I wouldn't recommend it. You should really watch the first two seasons, because they're extremely good in their own right, and then pick up wih the current one. From what I understand, though I haven't seen it myself, the third season had some issues which make it skippable.

Sounds good and it's produced by Brain's Base who did S2 of Spice and Wolf (my favorite anime). Definitely watching this.

Looks like it's all on Crunchyroll, so no harm in watching it from scratch. Thanks for the rec.

wonzo

Banned
Sounds good and it's produced by Brain's Base who did S2 of Spice and Wolf (my favorite anime). Definitely watching this.

Looks like it's all on Crunchyroll, so no harm in watching it from scratch. Thanks for the rec.
FWIW, season 3 isn't bad per se, it's just nowhere near as good as the first two seasons.

7Th

Nise fans = Rinne fans

They're both pedophiles that find pleasure in viewing the naked bodies of underage girls. You guys should watch wholesome shows for the whole family like Milky Holmes.

iavi

yeah, have fun. Isn't time for your daily Shaft bash?

I'm out, your arrogant attitude in the last time killed the theard for me

Can't be. Shaft actually animated something this week.

Also, not a smart time to lead a coup d'état, dark monocle. Your faction's leader is still in exile.

Jex

[Animal Treasure Island]

This movie is is a lot of fun, but that's because it doesn't feel like it's that well put together as a film. It's like you got a bunch of animators working on a project with a very thin outline for a story and then let them just create a bunch of silly, interesting and creative sequences that you can string together to make a 'movie'. This leads to a movie packed to the gills with sight gags such as this one -

AnimalTreasureIsland6.png

This means that, on the whole, it's pretty inconsistent. Sometimes the animation will be movie-quality, at other times it will be worse than a TV show. It doesn't really seem like they care that it fluctuates so often. For example, the spectacular actions sequence towards the middle of the film was apparently animated by Hayo Miyzaki himself and is very obviously of a much higher quality than the sequence that comes before it which looks fairly average.

AnimalTreasureIsland5.png

Still, it's interesting to see a movie from a time when anime had some very different stylistic influences:

AnimalTreasureIsland1.png

AnimalTreasureIsland3.png

AnimalTreasureIsland2.png

I think as long as you go into this movie with fairly tempered expectations you'll be able to find something to enjoy in silly chaos that makes up most of the running time.

BluWacky

Also, removing pandering and replacing it with more substance isn't as simplistic as you're putting it. You're assuming "substantial" also means it'll be competently done when I can use a similar argument that the incompetent staff will just be as bad if given more time to add substance i.e. Aquarion Evol and Inu x Boku.

Aquarion Evol's characters are ridiculously thin, and the series's gimmick is that when the robots combine it's like orgasming, complete with nude shots of the combining mecha pilots. Plus, it's super robot anime! That's the ultimate in pandering!

Inu x Boku I admittedly know virtually nothing about; for some reason with a title like "Inu X Boku" I'd thought it was something in the long tradition of whoops-I'm-face-first-in-a-dog-girl's-breasts type anime, but I guess not.

DiGiKerot

If you could have a show with an atmosphere like Lagrange's and the same attention to artistic detail, except with central characters that don't do things just for the sake of being moe, I think that would probably entertain me more.

It's not really anything like Lagrange except for that weird Tatsuo Sato atmosphere, but I totally feel the need to point out the fact that the secret best Tatsuo Sato show is actually Shingu (or Muryo, as it was actually called in Japan). That show was super-pleasant, made with NHK monies and is really cheap to buy these days.

Just saying, because, like, no-one has seen that show.

Instro

Nise fans = Rinne fans

They're both pedophiles that find pleasure in viewing the naked bodies of underage girls. You guys should watch wholesome shows for the whole family like Milky Holmes.

+1. I'm quite sure that ep.5 was warning me about the dangers of Nise and Rinne fans.

I think as long as you go into this movie with fairly tempered expectations you'll be able to find something to enjoy in silly chaos that makes up most of the running time.
Sad to hear the animation quality fluctuates so much, because it seems like a visually rich movie.
It looks like a lot of fun.

Articalys

You are now a friend.

Also, this caused me to do my monthly check of Brain's Base news, which yielded nothing new as usual, unfortunately, but I did discover something interesting: their official site is inexplicably missing any reference to Mawaru Penguindrum. Their profile of 2011 works includes Natsume San, Kamisama Dolls, Hotarubi no Mori e, and Enma-kun, and that's it.

BluWacky

You are now a friend.

Also, this caused me to do my monthly check of Brain's Base news, which yielded nothing new as usual, unfortunately, but I did discover something interesting: their official site is inexplicably missing any reference to Mawaru Penguindrum. Their profile of 2011 works includes Natsume San, Kamisama Dolls, Hotarubi no Mori e, and Enma-kun, and that's it.

It was last updated before PingDrum aired. Speaking of which, did you know that StarChild has an official English site for the show?

I HOPE that enough people asked for PingDrum in Funimation's recent survey for them to seriously consider licensing it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Brave 10 07:

More bishounen. More lame quasi-homoerotic fights. Isanami eats things and whines. Kamanosuke wants to kill people. Saizou cuts stuff with a sword. Yeah, this is an episode of Brave 10.

Bodacious Space Pirates 07:

U7ntW.jpg

Some signs of life. It's a shame that more whimsical retro sci-fi like the transport tubes from the beginning of the episode aren't present in the show because it would be a lot of fun and give Mouretsu some much-needed personality in its tech designs. The ludicrous premise still doesn't quite mesh with the more serious technological aspects of the show for me, so I appreciate little things like this that try to bridge the gap between the real and fantastic.

I thought it was a really good episode on the whole, and I couldn't be happier that they haven't slipped back into the electronic warfare doldrums of episodes 2-5. The show is finally achieving a balance between explaining technology and showing its application as the situations that Marika faces become more complex than "stare at a screen and hack the enemy computers". Space piracy appears to be a much more hands-on, confrontational style of combat and requires a different and much broader skill set than did the Odette II excursion. As Marika comes into her own, I hope that further spur-of-the-moment technological explanations from crewmembers will cease and that the majority of in-battle drama will shift to Marika's leadership. This episode was kind of a repeat of the previous week in that it was another "Marika learning the ropes" episode, but I think that the set-up is finally almost over.

Not really liking that
serious business is going to begin soon.
I knew from the first episode that
the plot would eventually have to shift to "Marika saves the universe" given all the backstory on pirates and their supposed importance in a long-ago war
, but I wasn't expecting it quite yet.
Drama is quite un-bodacious, but I hope that there can be a balance achieved with the more lighthearted scenes, especially since Marika was exceptionally HNNNNG this episode

Also, Blackbeard from One Piece is Chiaki's father:

http://i.imgur.com/0FLhn.jpg

Symphogear 07:

Does Miku
not fucking understand the concept of classified information? Or Hibiki keeping her out of a situation that's obviously far too dangerous for her? What a whiny dumbass

DiGiKerot

Looking at the sites frontpage, it looks like that page was thrown up some eight months ago - given how thin the staff list for Kamisama Dolls looks, I'm imagining it's not been updated since then.

Oh, speaking of Hotarubi no Mori e, isn't that actually out on DVD/BD in Japan this week? Probably worth seeing for those into Natsume or the whole mono no aware thing, because it's certainly exceedingly mono no aware.

Geneijin

Aquarion Evol's characters are ridiculously thin, made up of stupid quirks, and the series's gimmick is that when the robots combine it's like orgasming, complete with nude shots of the combining mecha pilots. Plus, it's super robot anime! That's the ultimate in pandering!
I wouldn't go so far as to call the gimmick pandering but that's another discussion entirely :p

Inu x Boku I admittedly know virtually nothing about; for some reason with a title like "Inu X Boku" I'd thought it was something in the long tradition of whoops-I'm-face-first-in-a-dog-girl's-breasts type anime, but I guess not.
I should have said Inu x Boku SS instead :lol

Articalys

It was last updated before PingDrum aired. Speaking of which, did you know that StarChild has an official English site for the show?

I HOPE that enough people asked for PingDrum in Funimation's recent survey for them to seriously consider licensing it.
Looking at the sites frontpage, it looks like that page was thrown up some eight months ago - given how thin the staff list for Kamisama Dolls looks, I'm imagining it's not been updated since then.
Yeah, I know they don't have Natsume Shi up there either, for example, but I see they haven't abandoned the site either, since the main page shows an update on 2/15/2012. I guess they just don't care enough to update their shows. Hopefully they still have something to do when Shi ends...

I don't know who Starchild is. It looks like they have an English info page for a lot of properties they're dealing with, though.

Oh, speaking of Hotarubi no Mori e, isn't that actually out on DVD/BD in Japan this week? Probably worth seeing for those into Natsume or the whole mono no aware thing, because it's certainly exceedingly mono no aware.

Yes, it releases the 22nd. I'm looking forward to it.

BluWacky

I don't know who Starchild is. It looks like they have an English info page for a lot of properties they're dealing with, though.

Starchild are part of King Records; they provide funding for anime and also are the imprint they release singles on. For instance, Rinbu Revolution was released on Starchild when Utena was on the air (ergo they have history with Ikuni).

iavi

I don't think it's especially weird. I mean, lots of people have been complaining about the pacing throughout the whole arc, rather than the writing. The writing is pretty similar to how it's always been.

Weird in the sense that I had begun to think the writing hadn't changed from Bake, and that the show just didn't work for me anymore. Thinking about it now, the fact that it did with that arc's endgame leads me to believe that the writing throughout Nise has indeed been much worse--Dialogues, structure, etc...etc... The 'strings of intent' are as blatantly strung as they've always been, and even more so now, annoyingly, due to the discussion that surrounds those particular scenes in here after each ep, but the show has shown that it can still cross me up with the narrative when it counts most. I'm in it for another couple eps, at the least.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Dennou Coil 20

Not as many unknown facts were revealed at the end of this arc as I was expecting, but it pretty much confirms that
Nekome is the badguy, although there may be even another person behind him

Also,
Isako is slowly turning yuri for Yasako. ^^

Love confessions from elementary schoolers always seems a bit... lacking, so that part of the episode wasn't quite as good as it could have been.

Only 6 episodes left, what a shame, this is such an excellent show.

Brave 10 07:

More bishounen. More lame quasi-homoerotic fights. Isanami eats things and whines. Kamanosuke wants to kill people. Saizou cuts stuff with a sword. Yeah, this is an episode of Brave 10.

Symphogear 07:

Does Miku
not fucking understand the concept of classified information? Or Hibiki keeping her out of a situation that's obviously far too dangerous for her? What a whiny dumbass

Seems like a great brave 10 episode and this one has fighting instead of hot baths fun. Cant wait to see.

Miku is immediately unlikeable now.
Rather hoping Hibiki can find friends in Chris instead

NewFresh

[Animal Treasure Island]

This movie is is a lot of fun, but that's because it doesn't feel like it's that well put together as a film. It's like you got a bunch of animators working on a project with a very thin outline for a story and then let them just create a bunch of silly, interesting and creative sequences that you can string together to make a 'movie'. This leads to a movie packed to the gills with sight gags such as this one -

I'm glad you decided to check this out. It had been on my back burner for a while. From the sound of it, it's worth the time investment. I love the idea of a blend of styles being put into one package; yes, there will be inconsistencies, but there will be something to gain from seeing these varying styles.

How can you say these things when you never finished the series
Okay, I should prefaced my comments with that. Though, I don't have to have finished the series to comment on the use of the stock footage. In regard to the fights, perhaps they get better. If they do, that's all the better for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom