• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki Nationals 1-2

This makes a bit more sense after rewatching saki and watching side a. And lololol pacing and god damn how many VA are there for this season?

I do like their new censorship technique of floating mystical towels over flat girls :p

The pacing is back to slow ass s1 saki though...

And did stealth momo get boobs upgrade?

wahahaha~

That's what I said. They're definitely bigger.

Anyone else kinda lose interest in Samurai Flamenco once it got all serious with the whole Power Rangers twist? I liked it better before, now it's kinda uh... haven't seen the last 2 episodes yet because of lack of interest.

I'm still watching it but yeah, it just feels like a fundamentally different show than what it started as. Multiple times I've wished they'd just drop the power ranger characters and go back to focusing on the Cop v. Flamenco dichotomy they were running with in the beginning of the series.

Sakura trick - 02

i'm 200% satisfied by this episode .

This is ALL.

i kinda want to post a screencap but i won't be able to choose 1 scene , so i'd rather not post any.

Such a magnificent garden.
Brace yourself Sdburton !

Defuser

Focus changed? lol. It was Japanese kickass at first, then it became Batman/Kamen Rider now it's Super Sentai(Power Rangers). I wonder what other tokusatsu Samurai Famenco haven't touch upon yet...maybe ultraman.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
YuriPander 2
8egTY5Pl.jpg

That said, this screen is one of the reasons why I find this show just disappointing. There's absolutely no reason why they need to keep it a secret other than it's a conceit of the show. There's no fear of the outside world intruding onto them, or of homophobic parents/friends/peers judging them. They just have to keep it secret just "because".

Probably one of the weird things is that while yuri is probably read in equal numbers by men and women, in terms of disc sales, they are probably depending entirely on men. So I don't know if they just need to amp up the perv factor in order to make this work by having the girls kiss in every single episode or what.

I will say, having read the 4koma again, that at least the anime is providing a fairly functional adaptation of material that is rather dry. It's weird that, as someone who wouldn't mind seeing more yuri anime, I would almost like this show more if the girls were just straight/pseudo-yuri and it was just like any other four (or six, I guess) girl anime.

I actually appreciate how this show doesn't have to state the obvious. They have to keep this stuff a secret for every reason possible, they don't want to be judged by their peers, they don't want to be judged by their friends or relatives. Really why bother stating the obvious? Most yuri shows would do dumb crap like have them ponder about their actions and whether or not they want to be open about their feelings with others. Well fuck that!

I think Sakura Trick is a fascinating show. It's bluntness in its yuri is so refreshing, its such a change from the usual formula where the girls basically spend the majority of the series deciding whether or not what they want to do is right or wrong. The openness of it all is pretty startling, I honestly don't think I could stomach another Strawberry Panic-esque show. Like the day where we get actual yuri shows where the focus isn't even on the yuri will be great.

Especially if the wrong girl wins, FUCK DAT SHIT

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 115 (engDub)
BeMOq8qCQAEOENK.png
BeMPvbjCcAApntz.png

Finally reaching the end of this cute invasion matches in Miyagi Academy Junior High. Rekka had nice deck with the Angel Feathers specifically with Prophecy Celestial, Ramiel, and Solidify Celestial, Zerachiel and one of the most intense combos of the arc thus far
though ultimately lost due to Aichi surprise second Blaster Blade (as usual)
. It was hilarious episode though with her usual poses, the typical characters having over the top reactions (Shingo specifically), and Kourin's personality kicking in, along with Naoki's usual passion for Cardfight!! Vanguard. Good episode.

CorvoSol

You'll probably enjoy Mai-Hime then. Its pretty enjoyable in a shut off your brain kind of way because of the Battle Royale-like plot and the all-female cast.

Unlike many in this thread, I have increasingly less of a problem with anime that requires me to shut off what little brain I have anyway.

Coppelion series spoiler stuff

I glanced through the first 9 volumes or so of the manga they adapted for anime, they glossed over quite bit of things in anime....

like this in the last episode,
he just goes "they didn't tell you?" tell us what?

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/03/1389948414-capture.jpg

why would you leave that out?

etc etc. overall the manga isn't so bad as anime imo. They wasted so much time on drama crap actual plot got left out D: it helps I can fast forward through this easier than anime too.

I actually felt that that reveal was pretty obvious and didn't bear spelling out. Of all my complaints with the show, that was not one.

Rejecting One Piece because you don't have time to handle the copious number of episodes is understandable, but I hope you're not rejecting it here because you think the actual story/pacing is bad, because it isn't. Well, the pacing of the anime adaptation is sometimes bad in the later parts of the series, but that's just because of the usual anime-trying-too-hard-not-to-catch-up-to-the-manga bullshit that all these long-running shonen series have to deal with. The series itself is legit (and actually includes barely any gratuitous "training arcs" compared to most shonen - on the few occasions where actual focused training is necessary, it tends to happen offscreen.)

The fact that they haven't reached the actual One Piece MacGuffin yet isn't a slight on the series, because the whole point seems to be that it isn't about the goal, it's about the journey. One Piece is basically just there as a semi-legendary objective to inspire lots of glorious adventuring. And it works.

IF and this is almost as big an if as the one for Magical Girls, IF I was to get into a show of that nature, One Piece would probably be it because I do appreciate what looks to be a fairly fun and entertaining world. That said, I'm not much a fan of the unattainable goal that makes a plot last eternally. I enjoy Pokemon games, but that Ash will never ever ever even bother to catch a fraction of 'em all puts me off from the show nowadays, for instance.

Monogatari SS: "Hitagi" Arc

I loved this arc. The way Kaiki just tears down Araragi at the end is great.

Just wondering, are there any music download services that carry Japanese music but accessible from the States (that isn't iTunes?). Unfortunately amazon.co.jp doesn't allow mp3 downloads outside of Japan, I suppose there are probably ways around that, though. I can't really buy CDs as I technically don't own a device that will read any sort of optical disc outside of my car. No consoles, no Blu-ray/DVD players, my computer doesn't have an optical drive, etc. I'm sure I could jump for a cheap external drive, worst case scenario.

789shadow

Banned
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 9

Ok, I just started this episode, and I instantly think I missed an episode or something, even though that's not possible. Is this supposed to be this way?

fertygo

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 9

Ok, I just started this episode, and I instantly think I missed an episode or something, even though that's not possible. Is this supposed to be this way?

Yeah, you missed the OVAs. Hoshi no Umi OAD.. Its not available on CR btw.

Reknoc

IF and this is almost as big an if as the one for Magical Girls, IF I was to get into a show of that nature, One Piece would probably be it because I do appreciate what looks to be a fairly fun and entertaining world. That said, I'm not much a fan of the unattainable goal that makes a plot last eternally. I enjoy Pokemon games, but that Ash will never ever ever even bother to catch a fraction of 'em all puts me off from the show nowadays, for instance.

Apples and oranges. Pokemon as an anime exists soley to advertise the games. The one piece isn't unattainable, it's just a long way off. Getting it probably won't even be the end point of One Piece.

Corvo, you would love Hunter X Hunter. Unlike in One Piece and Pokemon, the goals have a huge influence on the plot, and are not just an excuse to make the plot last forever. And it's not unnatainable either (well it kinda starts off with the "be the very best" trope, but that goal changes fairly early on and is never brought up again) It's not long compared to other ones, the way it handles superpowers is really unique, and the fights are tense as hell as there are little to no cliches in them.

Seriously, I think you would love it.

Tenumi

Banned
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren: 02

I can't help it, I'm a bit of a Romantic. I love stories like this, and this is about as adorable as they come. Who knows if it'll stay this way, but for now, I'm enjoying this immensely.

Mature

Wizard Barristers - 01

Hey, a show with an original premise. And adults as main characters. Police detectives!(magical) lawyers! Somewhat promising.

Then, then... wait, the MC is not them, but a teenage girl?!!!
And she is moe.
And she has a silly personality.
And have some ridiculous sailor schoolgirl clothes (even other characters comment on the fact)
She is a "genius"... but it's just an excuse of why a teenage girl is a lawyer already, she doesn't give the impression of being a genius in any moment of the episode.
And her boss somehow let her take a case on the first day, even in several of the characters explain how ridiculous it is.
And there silly fanservice that comes out of nowhere.
And she has a magical (perv) mascot. edit: Thanks Cnet for remind me!
And there are other girls with skimpy clothes that serve just to make silly embarrassing remarks to the MC.
And there is gratuitous action/CG scene with a big metallic golem (robot?) at the end.

Sigh. Anime.
Umetsu'd!

Jex

Monogatari SS: "Hitagi" Arc

Wow. Everything about that was so fitting. How it lined up with the rest of the season, and of course, how it lined up with Kaiki's original arc in Nisemonogatari. How Kaiki's character turned out. And even how the Snake arc was resolved (she's still the worst character though!).

Sounds like AOTY to me!

Pooya

I actually felt that that reveal was pretty obvious and didn't bear spelling out. Of all my complaints with the show, that was not one.

It's obvious that he has something bad to say but I assumed
he meant their life time and not that they're infertile, in fact nowhere ever that's mentioned in the anime
so how should I now? :b

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren: 02

I can't help it, I'm a bit of a Romantic. I love stories like this, and this is about as adorable as they come. Who knows if it'll stay this way, but for now, I'm enjoying this immensely.

Nothing to apologize for!

I find Chuu2 to be so charming. It definitely hits way too close to home when it comes to my own middle school years and my unhealthy obsession with certain popular anime series at the time.

It's not an unattainable goal, it's just taking a REALLY long time to get there. With each arc that passes, the crew gets closer to One Piece. There are no resets like with Pokemon. There is a clear endgame that if Oda is to be believed, has not changed in his mind since the series began in 1997.

But really, the One Piece is one of the less interesting of the many plot threads the series has built up over the years. The prediction of a great war, a missing chunk of history that apparently changed the course of the world, the reason for the corruption of the government, the plans of a revolutionary army, the many relationships with hyped up characters, etc.

It's a massive world with several connecting plot threads that are incredibly impressive and thought-provoking.

Taruranto

Anyone else kinda lose interest in Samurai Flamenco once it got all serious with the whole Power Rangers twist? I liked it better before, now it's kinda uh... haven't seen the last 2 episodes yet because of lack of interest.

I dropped it when the
giant robot
showed up.

CorvoSol

Apples and oranges. Pokemon as an anime exists soley to advertise the games. The one piece isn't unattainable, it's just a long way off. Getting it probably won't even be the end point of One Piece.

As someone from the outside, though, the two look remarkably similar.

Corvo, you would love Hunter X Hunter. Unlike in One Piece and Pokemon, the goals have a huge influence on the plot, and are not just an excuse to make the plot last forever. And it's not unnatainable either (well it kinda starts off with the "be the very best" trope, but that goal changes fairly early on and is never brought up again) It's not long compared to other ones, the way it handles superpowers is really unique, and the fights are tense as hell as there are little to no cliches in them.

Seriously, I think you would love it.

You really want me to watch this show, huh?

It's obvious that he has something bad to say but I assumed
he meant their life time and not that they're infertile, in fact nowhere ever that's mentioned in the anime
so how should I now? :b

Because of what happens after that, when they tell the girls
this child is yours, too!
or whatever.

Point is I'm still pissed they
killed Haruto but saved the Ozu Sisters.

It's not an unattainable goal, it's just taking a REALLY long time to get there. With each arc that passes, the crew gets closer to One Piece. There are no resets like with Pokemon. There is a clear endgame that if Oda is to be believed, has not changed in his mind since the series began in 1997.

But really, the One Piece is one of the less interesting of the many plot threads the series has built up over the years. The prediction of a great war, a missing chunk of history that apparently changed the course of the world, the reason for the corruption of the government, the plans of a revolutionary army, the many relationships with hyped up characters, etc.

It's a massive world with several connecting plot threads that are incredibly impressive and thought-provoking.

Right, I get that there is a difference, and that in 600 episodes or whatever there should be some kind of significant story building going on. I just don't know if I really want to get involved with that. I mean I watch 50 episode shows and go "gosh they could really have carved out a good 15 episodes of this show."

Right, I get that there is a difference, and that in 600 episodes or whatever there should be some kind of significant story building going on. I just don't know if I really want to get involved with that. I mean I watch 50 episode shows and go "gosh they could really have carved out a good 15 episodes of this show."

Anyone telling you to watch all 600 episodes of One Piece is not your friend.

JoeFu

Banned
You know, looking at it like that, yellow subs really are a lot easier to read...

yellow subs 4 lyfe

I grew up watching tons of chinese movies because my parents are from taiwan, and I remember reading yellow subs whenever we watched movies. I will always have love for yellow subs.

Branduil

Yellow subs are probably easier to read but they also mess with the color balance of scenes. I prefer white with black outlines as the best balance between readability and non-obtrusiveness.

Theonik

Tell that to Netflix.
So glad I am not subscribed to them right now.

Yellow subs made sense when you were typesetting on VHS tapes meant to be seen on old SD CRTs. Now not so much.
Not even then did they make that much sense. Frankly yellow subs were a new thing to me since 99% of the things I had seen even on VHS did white with back transparent background or white with a black outline.

Joe Molotov

I've seen some old Kung Fu movies with bad VHS prints where hardsubbed white subtitles would complete disappear into white backgrounds. Obviously that's not really a problem today with 1080p movies taken from 8k digital transfers or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom