• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

K-ON! 8

"My Love is a Stapler". Wut. Damn, Mio's lyrics really can suck. "I wish there was a mathematical formula to calculate the ratio of my love."...What does that mean? And is sounds lame and cheesy as fuck. Maybe they should try building the music around the lyrics instead of the other way around. Their music is pretty good. I guess you guys weren't kidding about Yui being a guitar savant. She can play that fucker.

Let's be honest, if they built the songs around the lyrics they would suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Jex

SHAFT so busy for 2013 alone...

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
Zenmongatari 2nd season
Kizumonogatari movie
Gekijouban Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 3rd movie
Magical Suite Prism Nana

This bodes ill for whichever of these works has the lowest priority. I mean, I imagine the series will come out on time but I expect a few 'Nadeko Arc' quality episodes here and there.

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman 1

Airing right after The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke, courtesy of Zettai Karen Children, did this anime no favors and actually makes it look pretty bad. On its own Roman is just not that good taking like 18 minutes to finally get somehwat interesting but it did look fantastic with that whole sequence.

If the main character had much less or no facial hair, was a bit younger, then I think I would like it a bit more, but as it is now, its just really dull. Such a shame that an awesome OP song is wasted on this :(

Syrinx

Let's be honest, if they built the songs around the lyrics they would suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

The theory was that if they built the music around the lyrics, that would free up Mio and maybe have her write non-shitty lyrics.

But yeah, you're probably right.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Courtesy of Zettai Karen Children Psychic Squad: Unlimited Esper Works: Hyoubu Kyousuke: Did We Mention He's UNLIMITED: The Movie: The Game of the Movie: The Official Drink of the Game of the Movie: Prestige Edition 01:

ZkI8Sl.jpg

"Courtesy of" is a pretty interesting way of putting what they're doing :lol

Well, for those unaware, this is a grimdark spinoff of the sci-fi/mahou shoujo/detective/comedy/whatever show Zettai Karen Children from a few years back starring the main antagonist from the series, an ageless super-powerful esper who leads an esper terrorist organization seeking expanded rights/supremacy/whatever for (you guessed it) espers. Why this is a thing instead of the manga-only stuff that ZKC fans actually want to see is anyone's guess, but, hey, this is a thing so I guess I'll watch it.

For those of you who might be interested in trying this for whatever reason without prior experience with the franchise, pretty much the only thing you gain from having seen ZKC is the vague feeling of "oh, hey, it's that guy". Most of the supporting cast are minions that only briefly appeared in the series, otherwise there's really nothing about what happens in the show that wouldn't be just as understandable if it didn't have a pre-existing license attached to it.

The episode itself was just okay. It's a little better in retrospect because of
the TWEEST at the end
, but while I was watching it I felt pretty much nothing toward what was going on. Production qualities and direction were both wholly pedestrian, and the plot was essentially a thin vehicle to introduce Kyousuke, Adam, the PANDRA subordinates, and showcase Kyousuke's powers. The sad thing about how plain the production is is that there were actually several above-average action sequences in the episode, but some lacked interesting storyboarding and cinematography and sometimes just end up feeling sort of, well, through-the-motions. Still, with stuff like this:

zkc1-2fgrkt.gif

Perhaps the animators can pick up a bit of the slack. The director of The Unlimited appears to have almost no prior directing experience (nothing instills confidence like a smattering of Hen Zemi and Sora no Otoshimono episodes), and really it appears that the only person on the show who isn't an unknown is the composer, who apparently also composed the original ZKC and is a veteran of SynergySP's good years.

Kyousuke is essentially an inferior Heike without the bombast. Always scheming, always supremely confident in his own superiority. In the original ZKC he was never as interesting as his subordinates and it looks like that's going to continue here. I'm actually kind of happy to see the dude with the wild hair and the little ragamuffin loli again because ZKC had a fairly colorful and entertaining rogue's gallery, but I expect everyone to be uniformly grimdark'd. The one cool new thing about PANDRA? They're all chilling out on a GIANT INVISIBLE TERRORIST CRUISE SHIP called the Catastrophe. It's ridiculous, but it's also kind of pimpin'. I expect more exploding helicopters than an 80s action OVA.

Oh, and this episode also had FATLER:

Anyone on the fence can probably just skip this for now. I'll let everybody know if it gets worth your precious backlog season time.

K-ON! 8

"My Love is a Stapler". Wut. Damn, Mio's lyrics really can suck. "I wish there was a mathematical formula to calculate the ratio of my love."...What does that mean? And is sounds lame and cheesy as fuck. Maybe they should try building the music around the lyrics instead of the other way around. Their music is pretty good. I guess you guys weren't kidding about Yui being a guitar savant. She can play that fucker.

The theory was that if they built the music around the lyrics, that would free up Mio and maybe have her write non-shitty lyrics.
The lyrics are awesome, shut up!
But yeah, you're probably right.
I kind of wonder why Ui and Jun don't join the club. They seem like they enjoy music quite a lot and are always hanging out with Azunyan.
Jun joins the Jazz club and Ui is practically a stay at home mom at that point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is probably contradicted in canon but I figure Ui and Yui's parents are, like, rock gods or something

I think they are just your average lovey dovey couple (pretty sure I read that somewhere). You see them in the movie if I recall.

CorvoSol

Martian Successor Nadesico 19 After three heavy episodes with such jam packed moments as "No, I don't want to know the name of the man I'm going to kill" this was a good breather, but it was also totally wacky. Like, if the show hadn't explicitly stated that a young, attractive captain was preferable to a grisled leader due to the machines doing all the work, I would wonder why a pageant was meant to usurp the captain and replace her.

Especially since, hijinks aside, Yurika is actually a competent captain who does care about her crew, and has more than once proven her worthiness to command her vessel.

I also liked Ryoko's plight about not having a talent, because that's something I think tends to happen during the whole talent show arc of our lives.

Syrinx

Oh yeah, I forgot that my brother and I watched 3 more episodes of Bebop last night.

Cowboy Bebop 11

Episode was kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, there were certainly tension and some outright scary scenes in this one. I was particularly scared for Ein, because he's a dog and I didn't know how the illness would affect him. But, the reveal that the problem was a rock lobster Spike left in the fridge a year ago was...well, I feel like it played off the dark humor of the series a bit, and it gave me a good chuckle, but it was pretty underwhelming considering how real shit seemed to be getting. How did they all get better?

Cowboy Bebop 12 & 13

Two-part episode. I'm not sure how able I am to put this episode into words, so I'll just say this. When my brother and I watch TV, movies, anime, etc. together, we'll usually laugh and crack jokes with each other and occasional small talk and whatnot. This episode? Silence. From both of us. The only time either of us spoke was when he asked if we should watch the second half or go to bed. Other than that, nothing. We just sat and watched, and at the end of 13, we didn't skip back to the menu. We just watched the credits roll by with that camera panning out to the sky and that song playing. In silence.

Not very often that what I just described happens.

Jintor

Oh yeah, I forgot that my brother and I watched 3 more episodes of Bebop last night.

Cowboy Bebop 11

Episode was kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, there were certainly tension and some outright scary scenes in this one. I was particularly scared for Ein, because he's a dog and I didn't know how the illness would affect him. But, the reveal that the problem was a rock lobster Spike left in the fridge a year ago was...well, I feel like it played off the dark humor of the series a bit, and it gave me a good chuckle, but it was pretty underwhelming considering how real shit seemed to be getting. How did they all get better?

It's all a dream.

That episode has multiple interpretations and none of them are very conclusive

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Syrinx

It's all a dream.

That episode has multiple interpretations and none of them are very conclusive

The two best guesses that popped into my head were:

-That the sparkling stuff coming out of the fridge as it was floating away into space was some kind of cure or something that cured them somehow.
-That Edward killed the virus or plague or whatever when she swallowed that alien/parasite thing that was crawling around.

Neither of those are very good, I know.

Theonik

You guys added like ten pages in the eight hours I was gone.

Get a job or something people. Jeesh.
Maybe some people here do have jobs making The Last Guardia for Sony!

Think its time to bring back the Mai Ritoru Poni impressions to this thread.
Please do!

Channel 4 News

Jon Snow kicked some you know what. Bit of a downer when they cut over to the war arc, but at least the episode ended on a lighter note.
Top Gear
That Aston totaly got NTR'd for that Jag. Also 3D cars eww, best Stig entrance yet. Up there with Akio and Tuxedo mask in levels of swag. This is so much better than Initial D.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Top Gear
That Aston totaly got NTR'd for that Jag. Also 3D cars eww, best Stig entrance yet. Up there with Akio and Tuxedo mask in levels of swag. This is so much better than Initial D.

Someone needs to draw Jeremy Clarkson as Dio Brando with the caption:
"This is the best stand... in ZA WARUDO!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Senran Kagura - 01

I was already pumped at the prospect of getting some :chet and some decent fighting scenes, but the fact there's quite a few girls who show attraction/lust towards one another is icing on the fucking cake!

I mean, I'm at a loss of who should be my OTP as there's at least 4 to choose from. I'll pray to the high heavens that there will be more moments featuring Haruka and Hibari, because that
Cat&Mouse
play going on there is super hot.

Bonus points for tan-skinned characters. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom