• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Huh. Weird. That was one of the tightest teenage rom-coms that I've seen in a while thanks, in large part to it's short episode count. They really wrapped it up in a manner that left no need for a sequel.
What if the sequel was set in space?

Scanner source: minitokyo (mod: put image in quotes if too big)
DA BES along with Lemon, if I get more of them I can block out the other nonsense of AnonAtsu.
Strike Wtiches 2
Let's do this.
Ep 4
Shirley x Trude. Episode was so best.
Ep 5
Lucchini becomes a kidnapper.
Ep 6
Sanya x Elia episode also featuring lesbian super rocket pyramid.
Ep 7
The infamous ep 7. The opening shot being a butt and crotch shot sets the tone I think. I have no words. Literally tears of laughter.
Ep 8
Coincidental plot device bullshit.
Ep 9
The episode where Minna and Sakamoto make out finally.
Ep 10
Shizuka mother-fucking Ito as a Strike Witch. Be still my heart. Shirley remains the strongest.
Ep 11
I'm sure there's meant to be something subtle and deep about how the main command are all middle age men who are deep untrustworthy but ehhhh....
Ep 12
True facts:
Yoshika lost her magic powers because her little friend back in her homeland is a Neuroi.

All in all it was basically the first season again with even more bad CG and increased lewd everywhere.
So good! I'll hopefully fulfill my end of the contract this weekend (also go watch the movie).

Strike the Blood - 23
Himeragiki won?! Himeragi WON!!

Senpai noticed her.

How to notice someone
is from the future? Touch the boobs, the boobs tell the truth. Fucking blockheaded Kojou still didn't notice! HOW?!! Fucking MC's.
That was Kana Asumi, right? Right?

What's up with people doing the high jump and jumping head first and people saying "So close!", that's not how you high jump!!

CorvoSol

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 25

So many "OMG" moments in this episode, haha. Stroheim has got to be the craziest, least evil Nazi ever, though. This whole show, man. Show is just stupid fun.

cajunator

Banned
yay beans. Im going to my friends place and I shall bring along some shows. Finally going to watch Wolf Children and catch up on Golden Time. Maybe some Accel World too. Hmmm. what else?

CorvoSol

Melody of Shitblivion

I fucking quit. "Lucky Thoroughbred."

Just. I don't know how we're even at this fucking town. There's literally no transition from last episode to this one. The fact that the Monster Union guys ALL HAVE THE SAME FUCKING VOICE ACTOR is just.

I can't do it. This show is hideous to look at. The music ranges from okay to OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT HORRIBLE FUCKING VIOLIN SHIT AGAIN. I don't CARE about any of these characters because there isn't anything to them. The words people say HAVE NO MEANING and now we're just introducing bullshit things like "OMOTENNIUM".

FUCK IT. FUCKING FUCK THIS PIECE OF HIDEOUS, VILE, REPULSIVE, WORTHLESS SHIT.

And moreover, Strike this from the List. There isn't anything weird. There isn't any notably bad voice acting. There isn't anything enjoyable about this awful, painful, cheap, shoddy, gaudy, pathetic, miserable, repugnant, creatively bankrupt, meandering, poorly paced, pedantic waste of ink that merits any soul ever watching it again.

Mediocre is too strong a word to describe a series so wholly tepid as this.

cajunator

Banned
Melody of Shitblivion

Just. I don't know how we're even at this fucking town. There's literally no transition from last episode to this one. The fact that the Monster Union guys ALL HAVE THE SAME FUCKING VOICE ACTOR is just.

I can't do it. This show is hideous to look at. The music ranges from okay to OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT HORRIBLE FUCKING VIOLIN SHIT AGAIN. I don't CARE about any of these characters because there isn't anything to them. The words people say HAVE NO MEANING and now we're just introducing bullshit things like "OMOTENNIUM".

And moreover, Strike this from the List. There isn't anything weird. There isn't any notably bad voice acting. There isn't anything enjoyable about this awful, painful, cheap, shoddy, gaudy, pathetic, miserable, repugnant, creatively bankrupt, meandering, poorly paced, pedantic waste of ink that merits any soul ever watching it again.

Now you know why I only paid ten bucks for the whole series lol.

Cowboy Bebop finished! The last three episodes did a great job of tying up all of the loose ends. Before I go into more detail though, should I watch the movie? Is it a prequel or a sequel or is it irrelevant to the overall plot? If it is I'll need to watch it before I pass judgement on the series as a whole.

Cowboy Bebop finished! The last three episodes did a great job of tying up all of the loose ends. Before I go into more detail though, should I watch the movie? Is it a prequel or a sequel or is it irrelevant to the overall plot? If it is I'll need to watch it before I pass judgement on the series as a whole.

Well it's a worthwhile watch regardless of any of the circumstances, so just watch it.

DiGiKerot

It sits midway through the episode (just before Brain Scratch, if I'm remembering correctly - it's been a while), but whilst it's a fun movie, it's in no particular way especially relevant to the plot or anything. It's just another chance to enjoy a story featuring those characters in that universe.

Vito

Banned
One animator already posted KimiUso art: https://twitter.com/gesoikuo/status/447115964593610752

BjR5mcgCIAEOS06.jpg:large

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So according to The List "Shuffle" is next and it has "Major Caveats."

What's the deal?

According to Hito, the large majority of the show is painfully boring and only toward the end does the standard harem structure undergo a darkly amusing School Days-esque subversion. I'd probably skip it for whatever's next.

Toradora Series Review
toradora_love_by_inslock.jpg

***SPOILER WARNING!!! SKIP OVER IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED THE SHOW!!!***

====================================================
Story:
The story in Toradora revolves around two protagonists, Ryuji and Taiga. Toradora uses a structure that has been firmly established in the RomCom genre for a long time with the two protagonists starting off as two people who don't really get along but slowly start to build a relationship over the course of the show. The only twist this show has that's different from other RomCom series is that the two characters actively try to help each other get with other characters in the series with Minorin and Kitamura. These two other characters usually provide a lot of the comic relief. And then we have the model Ami to round out the cast. This is a character driven story. I found the story great all the way through until episode 25. But we'll cross that bridge later.

=====================================================
Characters:
Toradora!_main_characters.jpg

Ryuji - One of our lead characters who people are afraid of at the beginning of the show because of the way he looks. In truth he's kind almost to a fault. He has many tendencies to always clean and cook. He finds joy in doing household chores. I really liked his character and identified with him.

Taiga - She is also one of the lead characters of the show. She has a tendency to hit people. A lot. She softens up as the show progresses which I very much liked. She so Tsundere. But she doesn't fight that so that's what makes her so likable.

Minorin - The comic relief of the show. Or one of the comic relief characters if you think Kitamura is a comic relief character. Ryuji's love interest for most of the show. She grows extensively in the show for not being one of the main characters. There were times where I didn't fully understand why she does some of the things she does or says but by the end it is clear why she does that. One of my favorite characters of the show.

Kitamura - Considered by some as another comic relief character, I found this character more as a "ride with the tide" kind of character. Taiga's love interest for most of the show. He's level headed throughout most of the show and somehow always seems to show up at the perfect moments.

Ami - I like to think of this character as one of the more flippant characters I've ever seen. Some episodes she's very helpful and can be kind and supportive. Other episodes she instigates the drama and can be a real douche at times. She was my least liked character of the main cast of characters.

==================================================
Music:
Favorite Track
The music I thought was one of the better things about the show. Both OP's and ED's had great music that complemented the shows tone. Music placement was also well done when trying to evoke an emotion from it's audience. Not much more can be said about this. It's not my favorite of all time but it is up there. So thanks Toradora for the music.
Toradora ED1

==================================================
Animation:
The animation of the show is actually really solid. Naturally there are some animation problems here and there if you look really hard but they are so sparse in between episodes that it really doesn't affect your viewing experience. It's a great effort all around. I was actually surprised about how visually diverse all the characters were without anything feeling out of place. Kudos to JC Staff for that effort.

====================================================
Overall Thoughts:
Going into this show not only did I hear opinions on this forum about Toradora but many, many other places. It seemed like any anime enthusiast website I went to people would herald this as one of the "Greatest RomCom's in Anime History". Naturally this interested me because RomCom's are one of my favorite anime genres. Now with dub coming out soon I felt now was the right time to see what the hype was about. I did not however go in believing I was about to see the best anime RomCom. And I am very happy I didn't.

The show has some great characters that get put into great situations. A lot of love and care was put into making characters people like and hate at very specific points in the anime. It makes a point to answer questions you may have at some point in the anime. It does it's upmost to bring things full circle.

There are some scenes in this anime you will watch with joyful glee. There are other moments that are sweet, tender and full of heart. Now I am not going to say you're going to cry during this anime. I never started bawling or got extremely sad like I would with other anime. My eyes would water up every once in a while, rarely shedding a single tear. Like I said it can be sad and tender, but don't go into it thinking you'll full on cry. That's not what the show is about.

And now let's talk about episode 25.
While Ryuji and Taiga resolved that getting eloped was probably not the best decision, they decided with Ryuji's mom that they were a family and that they wanted to stay together. Now here's where I thought the show would move on to show Taiga and Ryuji meeting up with their friends and show a montage of them spending the rest of their school days with their friends and walk off into the sunset at the end. That isn't what we got. Instead we got some philosophical crap about why Taiga left all her friends and Ryuji behind to go somewhere else. The show doesn't make this abundantly clear but apparently she moves away with her mom.

After a year she comes to Ryuji's graduation to see him and Ryuji declares his love for Taiga...again. Taiga hits him and the show end.
Now some people may like that end but I wasn't one of them. This is a fundamental flaw with many RomCom's and it's unfortunate seeing as how I love RomCom anime. The shows usually end on confession or indecision never moving beyond that point.
The show never would've done that had Taiga not made that decision.
So while I am very disappointed how the second half of episode 25 and the ending of Toradora went, I still loved the other 24 episodes and will probably go into my top 10 RomCom anime. It was great but not "Greatest RomCom in Anime Histroy". Not by a mile.

I give the show 8 Palm-Top Tigers out of 10.

-PshycoNinja

Melody of Shitblivion

It sounds like the vitriol for anything related to this show won't die down soon for you, but I would recommend checking out the OST once you stop seeing red. Several of those violin tracks are actually really great when you're not having the show beat them to death.

CorvoSol

According to Hito, the large majority of the show is painfully boring and only toward the end does the standard harem structure undergo a darkly amusing School Days-esque subversion. I'd probably skip it for whatever's next.

Yeah, I don't know that I have the patience for more "sit through 20 episodes of droll shit for something mildly crazy at the end" right now.

It sounds like the vitriol for anything related to this show won't die down soon for you, but I would recommend checking out the OST once you stop seeing red. Several of those violin tracks are actually really great when you're not having the show beat them to death.

Some of them are, yes, but then there are some, like that one that plays during the Monster segments that is absolutely AWFUL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom