• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selner

OPM says y'all Federal folk don't have to work tomorrow.

Ugh.. Seeing that metro rail is open and metro bus is partially open I was hoping the govt would be open.

Cabin fever is starting to set in with the kids. The two year olds don't want anything to do with the snow, and the four year old runs back inside after get snow in his boots.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
395 south, 495 north, 66 west, 28 north all fine in VA. above freezing today so no ice.

Ohio checking in...enjoying 40 degree weather :) the weekend is supposed to be nice and warm too, idk wtf is going on but I don't miss -20 weather we got last 3 years around this time of the year

teiresias

So all you DC people, what would you project the road conditions will be come Monday? I'm supposed to drive into town that day and stay for a week for work. Once I get there I'll be able to walk anywhere I need to go, so I'm mainly concerned about getting into town and to my hotel. I'll be driving from Hampton Roads so I'll likely come via 95 through Richmond.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
So all you DC people, what would you project the road conditions will be come Monday? I'm supposed to drive into town that day and stay for a week for work. Once I get there I'll be able to walk anywhere I need to go, so I'm mainly concerned about getting into town and to my hotel. I'll be driving from Hampton Roads so I'll likely come via 95 through Richmond.

You will be fine, unless another storm hits.

Chococat

jokes on you, the number of people affected by this storm and the ones that got an ass load of snow out number the population of Canada.

Just shows Canadian's are more bootstrappy than their wimpy southern cousins. If you all got out an shoveled, you'd be at work and school the day after too. Yah got the numbers.

E92 M3

7uoI7q1.jpg

E92 M3

Can the next one be during the work week so I can get a 4 day weekend? This one synced up so perfectly that I got zero time off from work despite getting the second most snowfall ever in NYC.

Yeah, this storm was a conspiracy with America's corporations to make it on the weekend. I'd like a middle of the week storm as well lol.

Mully

Another really great article about why one of the most unreliable models was able to most accurately predict the storm's path and snow totals.

https://www.nymetroweather.com/2016/01/26/was-the-nams-blizzard-forecast-really-that-good/

Oh, the NAM. The source of so many colorful snowfall projections that spread like wildfire across social media. The weather model that gives meteorologists fits multiple times per season. The weather model that can pick out thunderstorms two days in advance, and completely mishandle a snowstorm at a 24 hour lead time. And now, the model that absolutely nailed the forecast for the Blizzard of 2016 in New York City.

The Blizzard of 2016 will likely go down as one of the most effectively modeled snowstorms in meteorological history. The signal for the storm system was evident as far as 8 days in advance (arguably longer via long range pattern recognition). Long range ensemble guidance and even individual operational model runs showed the storm systems evolution consistently 6 to 8 days in advance, with increasing agreement on a major low pressure system off the East Coast. And, up until Day 5 or so, the agreement was relatively unanimous among major global models such as the GFS, Euro and Canadian.

All of that changed when the storm was 3 or 4 days away. The GFS and Euro began waffling on exactly how the storm would play out. The evolution changed on these forecast models, especially in the mid and upper levels of the atmosphere. Suddenly, the Euro was “cutting off” the mid level trough over the Plains and Mississippi River Valley, meaning the surface low would track off the coast of the Carolinas and never make it here.

The GFS trended southward by the time the storm was 3 to 4 days out, as well. The Canadian started heading that way, too. All global models increased confluence to the north (reaffirming high pressure) and trended toward cutting off the storm system earlier. Suddenly, it seemed like the southerly solution was gaining traction, and the low pressure center wouldn’t make it to a far enough north latitude to impact our area.

And then came the NAM. The storm system finally appeared within the NAM’s window when it was 78-84 hours away.

From the get-go, the NAM had the storm system more amplified than globals had shown for days. The low pressure center emerged from the Southeast Coast, with tremendous atmospheric dynamics guiding the storm northward to a position off the Mid-Atlantic Coast. Incredible dynamics moved toward the New York City area, with near two feet of snow on the groundby the time the storm ended.

It couldn’t be right. Could it?

Watevaman

Snow's really starting to melt here in SW Virginia. We've had some warm weather the past few days but of course we're freezing at night so all the wet turns to ice later.

Futureman

Snow's really starting to melt here in SW Virginia. We've had some warm weather the past few days but of course we're freezing at night so all the wet turns to ice later.

pretty much completely gone in Pittsburgh. Doesn't even look like there was a storm over the weekend.

lordmrw

Figures we'd have to pay for the spring weather we've had all month. i was just about to put my heater away for the rest of the year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom