• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Ventured out to the gym. It was weird af out there. Tons of turn lanes covered in snow, snow walls everywhere, black ice and snowy side roads. Should be a fun month.

northeast_22-23Jan16_shd.gif

beautiful

You see, IPT, there, in north central part of PA. That's where I live, we lucked out by the skin of our teeth and got about a 1/4 inch. I'm so glad I'm not digging out of that.

Wonder when the next one will strike

The Baltimore news said that next weekend there is a storm that looks somewhat similar, but appears to be much further out to sea and, if anything, will only affect the coast. But, that is a whole week away. If that thing shifts to the west, who knows what can happen?

low-G

That was the most snow I ever had to shovel. So achey and now I'm having chills, haven't been around anyone so I think I got minor frostbite?

Right here it was the biggest snowstorm on record by a good margin. Luckily all my leaving-home obligations are rendered moot by closures until Wed..

I shoveled for over three hours with my family, shit wasn't fun at all. The town got plows and plowed some peoples cars in. I'm not even sure I can even go to work tomorrow cause mass transit got fucked up. Tomorrow is going to be interesting. It either works and I go in or it doesn't and I take a vacation day. They don't pay me enough to go nuts getting there.

Now the fun part of having snow on the ground for a solid month. Fuck my life. Here is to hoping for sunny days and slightly elevated temps with some rain mixed in. The faster this shit goes away the better. Nothing more depressing than dirty ass snow lingering for weeks on end.

Echoing the shoveling sentiments. Drift was almost to the top of the SUV, and the snow plows had ensured that there was a wall behind the car as well.

Hot damn I'm sore. Undershirt was soaking wet after the fact. I swear if I did this regularly I would be one ripped mf.

oh, and something I learned from this? You can have too much of a good thing. While I like snow once you reach a certain level of it it becomes a massive pain in the ass. Shedding some southern ignorance here.

FLEABttn

Banned
I ultimately ended up digging my car out of the most part out of concern that the melt today would become ice. I still can't drive it anywhere as the lot still hasn't been plowed. Oh well. Telecommuting this week for the most part I guess!

Anion

The Baltimore news said that next weekend there is a storm that looks somewhat similar, but appears to be much further out to sea and, if anything, will only affect the coast. But, that is a whole week away. If that thing shifts to the west, who knows what can happen?
Hmm that's interesting. Thanks for the heads up haha.
I do hope the next one hits the NE-western parts hard lol

I ultimately ended up digging my car out of the most part out of concern that the melt today would become ice. I still can't drive it anywhere as the lot still hasn't been plowed. Oh well. Telecommuting this week for the most part I guess!
The side of my driveway and parts of the sidewalk look like that ice wall from Game of Thrones.

Chucker

Dug out, boss said we're open tomorrow.
Had 26in in my front yard. Found my kid dunking on nobody in particular while I was shoveling.
631G8zHl.jpg

Selner

My office is open on Monday too. Ha-ha, very funny.

Government bring closed means daycare is closed. Do it looks like PTO for me!

So much shoveling today. Might be able to get the van out. No reason to try yet.

On tap for tomorrow, the front steps and maybe the back patio.

I buried the stairs to the back yard while shoveling the driveway. Thats not going to be fun. Ran out of places to throw the snow, sheesh.

I don't lift weights, but I imagine the soreness in my biceps is what it feels like when you over work yourself...this shit hurts, tired and can't fall asleep...

Chucker

I don't lift weights, but I imagine the soreness in my biceps is what it feels like when you over work yourself...this shit hurts, tired and can't fall asleep...

The worst is when you do that and it hurts too much to lay on your side and thus can't sleep. That was me last night, shoveled more today and feel better.

Mully

Here's a National Weather Service meteorologist talking about why the NAM (a bad model outside of 48hrs) was able to predict the major snow totals for NYC and New Jersey for this storm at an astonishing 84 hours.

One reason could be because its higher resolution allowed it to capture the brick wall of mesoscale frontogenetic forcing required to produce such heavy snows in our area better than the global models. Funny thing was that it was right from the get-go if a little too far north.

A couple of days before the event I noticed it was a little farther north than the global models with the associated mid level low, and that for lack of a scientific description, it was doing something very weird with the intense mid level vort max progged to chug up the coast Friday night. These both may have lowered mid level heights enough in/near NYC to help open the floodgates. Still I was suspicious of this until Friday, and especially Friday night when the HRRR got within viewing range and modeled the intense banding that hit in the morning.

I remember reading Joe Bastardi's WxBell blog earlier in the week where he mentioned the NAM was the only model in his mind to capture the idea of the surface low tucking in closer to the Mid Atlantic coast. It has often done well with lows wrapping up in this area...once again better resolution of the low level thermal gradients between land and sea, also SST gradient north of the Gulf Stream?

SeanR1221

I'm going into work. Sticking to main roads and just being a little extra alert. My boss sent an email out saying you don't have to, but I'd rather make money.

highrider

Banned
Rockville Maryland. Digging out all weekend. Can't drive out, busses aren't running. Sucks as I need to work but not much I can do.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
My street still hasn't been touched. Working from home is super nice...low key hoping that tomorrow it's untouched too.

Cornbread78

IT's amazign how much snow fell on teh east coast and we never even got a flake of it in NH. However, if I drove south 15-30 mins into central MA...

We'll get ours by the end of the year, that's for sure...

KHarvey16

IT's amazign how much snow fell on teh east coast and we never even got a flake of it in NH. However, if I drove south 15-30 mins into central MA...

We'll get ours by the end of the year, that's for sure...

Nah, central mass got nothing. You'd have to go to the cape to see anything over like 6 inches.

highrider

Banned
meh this would be a normal storm in Canada. Schools would still be open too.

I always see stuff like this. Man it's just another day in my colder part of the world! Try to look past that perspective, it's not really relevant to warmer climates, which should be self evident, but yeah.

Grexeno

I can't.

I shoveled out the stairs up to my front door and cleared a path to the road, but I can't even hope to begin on anything else because I'm dead now. My car is still buried on the street. The road is covered in a 4-inch sheet of snow-ice. I'm definitely not going to work tomorrow. Maybe not even Wednesday.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay, so Baltimore County schools and offices are closed tomorrow. Is it possible I won't be going in tomorrow either? My street is still completely untouched...I didn't expect this.

coopolon

Okay, so Baltimore County schools and offices are closed tomorrow. Is it possible I won't be going in tomorrow either? My street is still completely untouched...I didn't expect this.

Baltimore county is saying they will plow every road in the county at least once by the end of the night. I live half a block from the county line, I'm hoping they plow my street by accident!

Selner

Rockville Maryland. Digging out all weekend. Can't drive out, busses aren't running. Sucks as I need to work but not much I can do.

Hello fellow Rockville-ite!

Very impressed with the plowing in my neighborhood so far. I saw lots of cars this morning while I was digging out the end of the driveway.

I have shoveled all but the back patio.

Trash pick up was cancelled for today. Hopefully we don't have to wait until next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom