• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wintergatan - Marble Machine (music instrument using 2000 marbles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

I've been listening to this all morning. They have an album on Spotify that is fairly similar musically.

I can't even begin to imagine how they designed the music box. It seems like the culmination of so much obsolete knowledge from the past.

berzeli

Banned
Oh, cool. I was wondering the other day if they were going to release something new.

Wasn't expecting this though. Way cool.

I've been listening to this all morning. They have an album on Spotify that is fairly similar musically.

I can't even begin to imagine how they designed the music box. It seems like the culmination of so much obsolete knowledge from the past.

Martin Molin also used to be a part of the (way awesome) band called Detektivbyrån.
Om Du Möter Varg
Nattöppet
Lyckans Undulat
and my personal favourite: Laka-koffa

Vlad

Wow, I always wondered if a real life version of this would ever be doable. And sure, it's not exactly the same, but still really impressive.

Karkador

Banned
About a month ago I sat down and watched all of this guy's videos, documenting the construction of this machine. It's one of those enchanting "watching a genius at work" experiences.

RS4-

I support a movement replacing turntables and djs with this.

Edit - does it play sandstorm though

Just saw this via imgur, glad there's a thread on it.
It's fucking amazing. And the song sounds really nice, too.

There's even some Lego built into it! How crazy is that?!

sinxtanx

Saw it today

yfhq1Fm.png

jediyoshi

For a moment I was bummed out thinking they dubbed in a backing track, then realized there were also just marbles hitting bass strings as well.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Ever since that old cg short turned into ATi tech demo it was only a matter of time before someone would try to build a real life version.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's silly. Like I said, unique as hell but just kind of stupid...

Eh, just my initial thought

Silly? From a design stand point this is something amazing and a great fusion of engineering and artistry. The sheer talent and creativity in making that marble contraption work and work as well as it does is envious to me.

Mik2121

Wtf. Sure it's unique...but it's pretty cringeworthy

Is the machine really cringeworthy? Or is the guy affecting your image of the machine and the idea as well? I can't see how a wooden machine that makes music would ever be cringe-worthy. I mean, overcomplicated or silly, sure, cringe-worthy though? Uhm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom