• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout 2048 confirmed for NGP

V_Ben

Banned
CVG said:
Sony's officially announced WipEout 2048 for NGP, a new instalment in its high-speed racing series that's compatible with PS3 entry WipEout HD Fury.

The handheld version is expectedly good looking, and sets the racer in the near future on a backdrop of futuristic real-world landmarks such as Times Square and various dazzling sci-fi vistas.

The game's control scheme naturally makes use of all of the new portable's bells and whistles, with the touch screen used to fire missiles, rear touch pad assigned to acceleration and tilting the portable itself activating steering.

Most exciting of the new game's feature list however is cross-platform play with PS3 on "compatible tracks" in WipEout HD Fury.

Eurogamer Preview

1306756869krp4.jpg

13067568706c1w.jpg

1306756871sgbe.jpg

5789323603_ae709d0238_o.jpg

5789878106_fb00b2ae5a_o.jpg

5789323537_eba306a675_o.jpg

Video Interview (Talks about features, things such as VOICE COMMANDS.)

EEEEEEEEEE.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
As long as it's 60fps, the PSP versions were 30 right?

darkwing

Wipeout has cross platform play features with the PS3 as well

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/06/hands-on-with-sonys-ngp-the-system-the-games-the-size.ars

Wipeout

Wipeout titles need to be fast, smooth, and beautiful. The NGP version is all three of these things. During my time with the game I was challenged to play without the analog sticks, using only the motion controls. It took me a lap or so to get used to, but after that I was tilting the system left and right like a champ. The motion controls were accurate, fun, and best of all, optional.

A PlayStation 3 was set up with the console version of the game, and the ability to race against people on the PlayStation 3 with the NGP was shown off to the press. It's a neat feature, and using the portable version to compete on the PlayStation Network with people playing on the PlayStation 3 is cool.

So far the NGP version of Wipeout isn't breaking any new ground, but who cares? The game takes place in a time much closer to ours, so the tracks look a little less futuristic, while still being fantastical and rather gut-churning. This is a game I played for more than a few sessions, and I wanted to walk out with a copy to play when I got home. That's a good demo right there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
10 new tracks, according to one of the previews I read.

Something funky with the IQ in those shots. Wonder if they're doing some weird resolution tricker-y, ala WipeoutHD.

V_Ben

Banned
gofreak said:

Something funky with the IQ in those shots. Wonder if they're doing some weird resolution tricker-y, ala WipeoutHD.

Could be direct grabs from the framebuffer, with no trickery added.

gofreak said:

Ya I noticed that too. Might it have something to do with the screens being stretched to be a larger size?

Whatever, I'm still in day 1.

Edit: 30 fps? Boourns.

30FPS is a slight disappointment but the game still looks hot! Vita is shaping up to have a fantastic launch line-up if this, Uncharted, and everything else shown in the screen shot thread are going to be available then.
_dementia said:
Looking nice and ps3 Connecticut sounds promising.
Nice iPhone auto correct there, man.

WOHD also started out as a 30fps game. Once they had the engine build they decided to see if they could get it up to 60fps. Not that the same will happen to this, but it's at least a possibility.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Crossposting from the dupe thread:

2048's championship will climax with a race at Altima VII itself, the game's ending coming at the very moment that the series began.

Best fanservice ever.

PjotrStroganov said:
Just saw the interview and he mentioned playing Fury tracks on the NGP. So probably no new expansion for the HD but Fury tracks in 2048:(
Fuck! Got my hopes up for a second that Wipeout Trinity was going to be a second Wipeout HD expansion.

sajj316 said:
So its 30 fps on the NGP and 60 fps on PS3 for "compatible tracks". Interesting to see how this plays out.
With the PS3 players taking turns better, having more fun, and winning.

I'm also apprehensive about the mention of wider tracks. Wipeout is all about the balance between different behaving ships, with some favoring tight corners and another favoring long straights. I'd rather not see them all the same to get them balanced on these non-technical tracks.

onQ123

"cross-platform play with PS3 on "compatible tracks" in WipEout HD Fury"

call of duty needs this in fact all NGP games need this

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Most exciting of the new game's feature list however is cross-platform play with PS3 on "compatible tracks" in WipEout HD Fury.

Why don't they just give the tracks to Fury as well?!
I know, I know. "Lost sales."
ARGH.

Why bother with cross-platform play if you can't give us 100%. :|

spats

After playing a fuckload of split screen WOHD lately which is 30fps I'm not too bothered by this. It loses a layer of visual awesomeness and it responds a little slower but it's still completely playable and still an incredible game. Day one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It looks fantastic in that blog vid. AR museum sounds a bit tacked on but will be interesting to see I guess :p

KAL2006

Banned
sajj316 said:
So its 30 fps on the NGP and 60 fps on PS3 for "compatible tracks". Interesting to see how this plays out.

WTF

I remember Sony saying they were able to port WipeOut HD to NGP without any downgrades. Maybe it's the 2048 levels that are 30fps and HD/Fury levels are 60fps. 2048 seems to have more nviroments that could be why it is only 30fps.

Top Bottom