• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

Been playing a lot of HD and Fury, but each time I try to go into the 2048 campaign, I just back out again. Something just doesn't click with me and 2048.

Same here. For me it’s the gimmicky ships. Plus that some races are only possibly once you unlock the cheat, excuse me, prototype ships.

The combat ships are simply not fun to pilot, and if there’s one thing HD/Fury excelled at it was enjoyable handling on all ships. 2048 forces you to pilot too many shit ships and across too many teams. It didn’t allow me to build a sense of loyalty to a certain team.

Plus navigating the cells in 2048 is an exercise in frustration.

Same here. For me it’s the gimmicky ships. Plus that some races are only possibly once you unlock the cheat, excuse me, prototype ships.

The combat ships are simply not fun to pilot, and if there’s one thing HD/Fury excelled at it was enjoyable handling on all ships. 2048 forces you to pilot too many shit ships and across too many teams. It didn’t allow me to build a sense of loyalty to a certain team.

Plus navigating the cells in 2048 is an exercise in frustration.

You have just put into words everything I dislike about 2048. I really hate how the game restricts you at just get going with all ship available from the start and finding your own favourite ship. Alongside the ever rubberband frustrating AI and the restrictions I just end up more frustrated than ever getting a sense of becoming good at the game.

Ah, well. At least I have HD and Fury to have tons of fun with!

wip45.gif

88random

Not true. I completed 2048 using only the regular ships.

Yup, prototypes are only necessary if you want to compete online on some tracks, otherwise, they are useless.

Idk, I like 2048 and I don't really have a preference.

2. Side-shifting. I use it to make tighter entries or exits out of corners. When you use air brake, you lose speed. When you use side-shifting, you don't, and it actually speeds you up a little in the direction you side shifted. It might feel inconsequential, but over a whole lap or in a time trial, you can shave a few tenths of a second, and that's a lot in Wipeout.
I have a video where I got a top 10 time in which I used a lot of shide-shifting, I'll upload it when I get home

As promised. I kinda fucked up in the first lap, but the rest is almost flawless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ac4IbWtdqo

Ubermall is probably my favourite track in HD.

Oemenia

Banned
1. I guess a little bit of both, but I use air-brake more. But I rarely have to do that because of...

2. Side-shifting. I use it to make tighter entries or exits out of corners. When you use air brake, you lose speed. When you use side-shifting, you don't, and it actually speeds you up a little in the direction you side shifted. It might feel inconsequential, but over a whole lap or in a time trial, you can shave a few tenths of a second, and that's a lot in Wipeout.
I have a video where I got a top 10 time in which I used a lot of shide-shifting, I'll upload it when I get home

3. Usually not, especially if you don't drive Piranha. Only if you know you'll mess up an entry into a very tight corner, like the one on Chenghou Project or Rockway Stadium.

For those last events, Feisar is your best bet, especially if you still haven't fully mastered controls. And yeah, swich air brakes to R1/L1 if you haven't yet.
Thanks for the info, I was using Assegai all this time but switched to EG-X to force myself to become a better driver.

With that said though, the air-brakes are analogue, is it a good idea to move them to digital buttons?

With that said though, the air-brakes are analogue, is it a good idea to move them to digital buttons?

It's not a big loss, you almost never should be using anything but really short bouts of full input air-brakes, if anything - bleeds velocity fast the longer it is active. Digital input makes it much, much more convenient to side-shift. Takes some time to get used to it, though, at first it feels strange.

LOUD915

Picked this up last week and searched this thread to see if I just sucked at 2048 or if there was an absurd amount of rubber banding happening with the AI.

It’s very frustrating when the AI immediately jumps out to a 3-5 second lead halfway through a lap.

They hardly fire weapon at each other when you aren’t present but immediately launch at barrage of shit at you the second you catch up.

I completed the 2048 series but I have 0 desire to play 2049.

I’ll move onto HD and Fury.

It’s a shame as I really wanted to play more of 2048 since it’s the only one I hadn’t played before.

The AI simply cheats and it’s frustrating.

krioto

Does anyone know if the Van Uber ship will ever be released as a separate download?

I don't like having it locked away, just because I wanted the steelbook version of the game rather than digital download

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Well, this is my first time playing Wipeout since PS1 - HD and Fury are great, but I share a lot of the misgivings about 2048 that have already been mentioned here.

I will say, as a package, it has zero respect for newcomers. Much of it I picked up as I went, but had to Google the Zone events and a few other bits.

How and when things unlock is a total mystery still, and though I've blasted through a fair chunk now, I'm not really feeling a great sense of progress.

Want to keep going but the events are mostly Rapier and above now and while it's fine for time trails, trying to concentrate on shooting down targets on Eliminator mode and not barrelling it every single corner is a bit beyond my skills.

Shame, because at Flash the game really shines for me.

Want to keep going but the events are mostly Rapier and above now and while it's fine for time trails, trying to concentrate on shooting down targets on Eliminator mode and not barrelling it every single corner is a bit beyond my skills.

Shame, because at Flash the game really shines for me.

The mix up of speeds throughout the campaigns never sat well with me. It may sound boring but I'd prefer a straight Venom set, Flash set, etc. But, it is what it is.

JP

I bought this at launch but didn't really get to spend a great deal of time with when I first got it.

Got a 4K/HDR TV yesterday and it absolutely transforms this game. I've spent a few hours just trying different games to see how they handle HDR and there have been a few good ones but it really transforms the look of this game, I just can't believe how much better the game looks in HDR.

dracula_x

omg → https://twitter.com/ROMvg/status/914080656946339841

V27sscX.png

You have just put into words everything I dislike about 2048. I really hate how the game restricts you at just get going with all ship available from the start and finding your own favourite ship. Alongside the ever rubberband frustrating AI and the restrictions I just end up more frustrated than ever getting a sense of becoming good at the game.

Ah, well. At least I have HD and Fury to have tons of fun with!

It's adaptive, afaik. With rubberband AI it won't be possible to make 10-30s margin per race.

Top Bottom