• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WIRED] Exclusive with Mark Cerny, PS5 specs detailed

Kenpachii

Geeeez Capt Negative! I do care about 3D audio, just know that they have committed to any kind of SSD is a great thing, it is official now instead of just speculation, which is the same thing for the Zen 2, that was kind of up in the air as well. Nice to see 8K support (not that I personally have any plans to use that). No need to be so cranky...do you need a Snicker's bar?

I never met anybody that cared much for audio to be honest. It was and is dead on the PC market and frankly even with streamers i don't see much or anybody investing into them. Headphones is all that people use. I could see it being somewhat useful and up to date for home cinema sets tho. TV's are barely used in my friend circle so yea that's why i jump to the conclusion not much people will honestly care about the quality of it let alone buy new speaker sets. However US seems to be a bit behind in this department so maybe it still has a decent sized market over there.

Still nice for the people that they spend some time on it i guess.

8k writing was on the wall really no reason to not support it, those tvs will come out sooner or later. But honeslty it doesn't matter much at this day of age so basically it's not really adding much.

I read through his post and frankly it's a lot of cerny type of talk. Where he lumps in a whole lot of information that make it sound like something amazing while in reality he doesn't say much or give any information away even remotely.

I rather would have him focus and talk more about the important parts, cpu and gpu in general clocks etc. ( i miss those carmack talks when he would do that for hours on end )

However i can see why he covers this up for the sake of microsoft, but it could also be used to distract them.

Its confirmation of which was never really spoken about by Sony, not really sure what the purpose of your posts are. They are official unveiling some of the technology, its probably not in its final state yet so its not an official unveil of the final specs and physical box.

Don't get me wrong i like more information. However its nothing to be excited about. He says a whole load of nothing.
Comparing ray tracing with 10k cpu's / faster then PC SSD technology / 8k support.

It all sounds incredible.

Yet if you look at it, it means nothing.

And that's why i posted what i posted about it. Until some clown comes out and starts to insult me because he honestly can't deal with opinions.

Doesn't the Ps4 already do that? I remember the ps3 did, but I only used 1 or 2 physical games at the beginning of the gen with ps4 and don't remember.

Does it?! I switched to 100% digital with the PS4, so mine hasn't touch a game disc since I bought it on launch day! But I will probably need to upgrade my home internet to the gigabit tier once the PS5 arrives, luckily I don't have any data caps...

ethomaz

Banned
Unfortunately this is very true, unless they throw in a much faster blu-ray drive or if you have a gigabit internet connection the install times are going to be just as bad. What would be nice is if you had the install disc while it is installing the game from the physical media it would also concurrently download all the updates and patches at the same time, now that would save some time!
That is the base feature of PS4 system... PlayGo.

That is the reason install times on PS4 are one or two minutes vs 30 minutes on XB1.

Last edited:
I expect more ANTI-CONSUMER POLICES AM I RIGHT?????

On topic though, I expect it to have a BLURAY drive *Gasp* and maybe some improvements to PSnow. I'm hoping for specs that make 60fps at least near standard.

sinnergy

Great! Sony played right into Microsoft hands! Showing their cards early...

Now team Green can upgrade and be the most poweful! Bodes well for us, seems both will be beasts, only Xbox a bit more.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Does it?! I switched to 100% digital with the PS4, so mine hasn't touch a game disc since I bought it on launch day! But I will probably need to upgrade my home internet to the gigabit tier once the PS5 arrives, luckily I don't have any data caps...

Yes, does that automatically, it also has a feature to start playing a game even when it’s not fully installed. While I never use that feature because the install times off the disks are hyper fast on the PS4, and to me is minimal wait times in comparison.

Last edited:

Fake

Yes does. Never used too, but is there.

joe_zazen

So PS5 won't be streaming service?

If i had to guess, they will be splitting their games division into streaming and console. You, of course, will be able to stream to ps5, but ps5 wont be required. The console business will be the core business, at least for next gen.
They absolutely need to have a mobile strat tho, and that is where streaming will focus. So you will be able to be a playstation player without a console.

Achillias

I suggest you follow my advice mate. Move on.

Quite easy to answer. Leaks. They are true after all. Its hard at this point for Sony to control those information. Most of the leaks from 'PS5 LEAK' thread are correct. So, why keep secret?
No you should move on, and stop behaving like a child.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Or you just get slower loading times and more pop in/aggressive LOD if you’re not using the faster spec.

Next gen we are going to see games with footprints bigger than 200gb, space is going to be a serious issue a few years down the line. So the big-picture issue is we need not only faster storage, but much more of it than before,

Bottom line as always is if new techniques drastically lower the cost of massive multi-TB SSD's then all bets are off, but as of right now the cost of that sort of mass storage makes it implausible to build a relatively low-cost hardware offering like a console solely around it.

The big thing for me is that in that interview Cerny is cagey about the I/O stack, which says to me that its some sort of custom hybrid layout. The PS4 Pro already uses a mixed model allowing use of cheaper ram for system caching, so I'd expect something similar here.

Last edited:

jonnyp

Meh, going to wait for the Xbox One X follow up, really don't like the UI of Sony in their Playstation consoles. They rarely update the way it looks, and one of the console experience in my eyes must be a good UI, which Microsoft is always strong on.

Do you spend most of the time on a console staring blankly at the UI. I mean of all the criticisms I've ever heard, come on now...

I never met anybody that cared much for audio to be honest. It was and is dead on the PC market and frankly even with streamers i don't see much or anybody investing into them. Headphones is all that people use. I could see it being somewhat useful and up to date for home cinema sets tho. TV's are barely used in my friend circle so yea that's why i jump to the conclusion not much people will honestly care about the quality of it let alone buy new speaker sets. However US seems to be a bit behind in this department so maybe it still has a decent sized market over there.

Still nice for the people that they spend some time on it i guess.

8k writing was on the wall really no reason to not support it, those tvs will come out sooner or later. But honeslty it doesn't matter much at this day of age so basically it's not really adding much.

I read through his post and frankly it's a lot of cerny type of talk. Where he lumps in a whole lot of information that make it sound like something amazing while in reality he doesn't say much or give any information away even remotely.

I rather would have him focus and talk more about the important parts, cpu and gpu in general clocks etc. ( i miss those carmack talks when he would do that for hours on end )

However i can see why he covers this up for the sake of microsoft, but it could also be used to distract them.

Don't get me wrong i like more information. However its nothing to be excited about. He says a whole load of nothing.
Comparing ray tracing with 10k cpu's / faster then PC SSD technology / 8k support.

And that's why i posted what i posted about it. Until some clown comes out and starts to insult me because he honestly can't deal with opinions.

I have a feeling the whole 3D audio is going to be more geared toward the VR games to be honest to by more immersive. I have a standard 5.1 setup in my living room, which I do enjoy playing games that have great use of the surround, I personally feel it really enhances everything, but I know it's not for everyone. Heck, I even really like the speaker on the DS4 when used properly (GTA V). I too am really interested in the details of the CPU/GPU/RAM setup as well as the SSD, I'm a sucker for hardware details so I can't wait until they release the details on EVERYTHING! Also would like to know what version the HDMI is going to be and if they are going with a UHD blu-ray drive.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Great! Sony played right into Microsoft hands! Showing their cards early...

Now team Green can upgrade and be the most poweful! Bodes well for us, seems both will be beasts, only Xbox a bit more.

Upgrade to what? Sony didn't announced any specs or numbers but just what kind of architecture we can expect. I don't believe they have told us much right now. They will trow the surprises and megatons later this year.

Microsoft doesn't know anything. If Microsoft is going to sprinkle specs on the E3, they will give Sony all the space it needs to respond to them. I think that this is a good thing for Sony to confirm the architecture, something we already knew.

Last edited:

Achillias

Do you spend most of the time on a console staring blankly at the UI. I mean of all the criticisms I've ever heard, come on now...
Do you say the same when you're on your desktop. You barely spend much time on the homescreen, but even than you want it to look nicely. Sony UI is a mess, especially symmetrical wise.

ItsHappening.gif

giphy.gif

That SSD "faster than the fastest PC SSDs" better be at least 1TB and won't be too expensive, because that already smells like something way too expensive for a 400 USD box. I also wonder how this is going to work out with external drives when they optimize their games around an SSD.

But I can already see it: proprietary external SSDs with a special connector for ridiculous amounts of money.
because it will be $599 for the box.

Nice, sounds like a beast! sets a high bar for Microsoft to compete and I hope they do. I'm so glad to be back to the age of console gaming that is on a par or better than decent PC rigs.

Achillias

I spend very little time navigating the PS4 UI. I spend my time on the machine playing games. The UI is totally fine, I don't know what your issue is.
You need to read properly, your opinion is just the way you look on things, it doesn't mean other people share the shame view. And that's ok, so instead of working on your own issues don't make your own issues (of having a issue on other people different opinions) a thing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You need to read properly, your opinion is just the way you look on things, it doesn't mean other people share the shame view. And that's ok, so instead of working on your own issues don't make your own issues (of having a issue on other people different opinions) a thing.

You came in this thread attempting to derail talking about a UI. Especially when you don’t even know what UI is going to look like.

Let’s be honest here, you were going to stick with Xbox anyways, so your comment has nothing to do with the conversation about the architecture being revealed.

joe_zazen

It is functional and quick. What makes it shit? Which console ui is best in your opinon?

Achillias

We're here to talk about PS5. Still you not post any single thing about PS5. Please, lets just move on.

Or Witcher 3.
You're not a moderator, and when you provoke someone don't be surprised on getting a response. Also I would strongly advice you to read your own post before saying making those wrong assumptions. Anyway if you keep posting off-topic, the discussion will stay off-topic.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
A personal summary, for those interested:

• CPU: Octacore Zen 2. Now that's a literal generational leap compared to the Jaguar platform. As noted by Anandtech, even a Zen 1 based CPU is on average 3-4x times faster. Having such a kit, which is likely a mobile based CPU, will do dramatically for those sections current consoles suffer a lot from. Instancing, alpha, physics - Having 8 top of the line Zen 2 cores is probably the most dramatic improvement the new console will have.
  • GPU: Navi. A GPU on the cards (no pun) for a long time now, yet a lot is still shrouded in mystery. There is some evidence that the Navi to launch is the Navi 10, or the Little Navi. Whether or not PS5 takes cues from this model, Big Navi or something else is just a guessing game at this stage. What can be certain, is that (at the very least) memory will be GDDR6. I wager at the very least 24 GB at this point now, i previously thought about 16, but given this news its clear Cerny is trying to maximize a performance scale bigger than what can be anticipated.
  • Storage: What is likely described here is the equivalent of a SSHD, and perhaps they use some kind of embedded flash memory to create it. This might be a huge cost in the overall BOM, SSD's are still not hugely cheap and HDD's, although cheap, carry the noted loading times. This tech is exciting since streaming of assets in game can be much reduced and instantaneous, but the cost of such storage might be expensive. But perhaps in Q4 2020, this will be cheap enough to go with.
  • Raytracing: This is for sure an interesting sidenote. Lisa Su has denoted that they also work on RT tech, but it is left in the middle if this means specialized RT cores as in Nvidia or other dedicated hardware. If its done on the GCN cores, then it would be a DXR Pascal scenario - Capable of RTing certain effects, but usually reflections or shadows. Stuff like RT global illumination as employed by Metro Exodus is not feasible on CUDA/GCN based cores really, but if we want to see a generational leap, that's the base value AMD has to look for. And that likely means some kind of dedicated sillicon or modified GCN core to handle that workload.
  • Other: This news to me makes it clear why this machinery is a 2020 design. The latest in CPU design and overall, the CPU/GPU ratio seems a lot more balanced now. Because as impressive as the Pro and X are, the balance in these systems is completely onesided. 8K support seems more of a buzzword than an actual meaning. There are 8K TV's out there, but 4K is just now making its rounds, and even that is already rather excessive if we look at space. UHD Blu-ray has to be a default option, i can't imagine Sony whistling out on this at this age and time. All in all, this gives a good look into what to expect from Microsoft aswell if history is going to repeat itself. What is sure though is that PS5 is a more balanced piece of kit than all the consoles of this generation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You're not a moderator, and when you provoke someone don't be surprised on getting a response. Also I would strongly advice you to read your own post before saying making those wrong assumptions. Anyway if you keep posting off-topic, the discussion will stay off-topic.

Stop being a hypocrite. Your entire original post was designed to provoke as well as being off topic.

LordOfChaos

He also acknowledged that something in the PS4 made it not take as much advantage of SSDs as it should (not just SATA II because the Pro has III and is still not much faster), and they recongjiggered the IO stack to better take advantage. Probably their weak ARM subsystem, I hope that's powerful enough to take over more things this gen.

He also said it was faster than what's currently available on PC SSDs, so it has to be PCI-E for that. They couldn't confirm if it was 4.0, but unless they're going to give the drive more than 4 PCI-E lanes it probably is if it's faster than currently available.

Love it. An all flash console generation should bring a fundamental rethink in all the things that hide load times in current games. Probably not going to be on the lower end of cost though, I'm going to say 400USD is out, 500USD is likely.

Last edited:

Achillias

You came in this thread attempting to derail talking about a UI. Especially when you don’t even know what UI is going to look like.

Let’s be honest here, you were going to stick with Xbox anyways, so your comment has nothing to do with the conversation about the architecture being revealed.
That's what you make up in your mind. I find it your thoughts childish. I was simply giving my opinion on the PS5, if you do not agree on it, that's fine. But don't make assumptions on my reasons of posting. It's a forum, maybe you should learn that on forums people can have different opinions.

dottme

That SSD "faster than the fastest PC SSDs" better be at least 1TB and won't be too expensive, because that already smells like something way too expensive for a 400 USD box. I also wonder how this is going to work out with external drives when they optimize their games around an SSD.

But I can already see it: proprietary external SSDs with a special connector for ridiculous amounts of money.
I don’t think it is going to be better than a PC SSD.
In the interview, he is clearly focusing on load time. I can imagine they tried to develop technology that improve a lot read bandwidth but sacrifice on latency/write performances that are less important for a gaming console.

That’s something you can do because your console is focused on gaming. You cannot do this on PC or you’ll kill any video editor for example.

Achillias

Stop being a hypocrite. Your entire original post was designed to provoke as well as being off topic.
No youre the hypocrite here, and again you proof it with this kind of post. Really "derailing" the topic. Are you a child or something? Who really comes up with this conspiracy like you do.

Fake

AMD have being talking about 3D Audio from a long time indeed. I watched many many AMD press conference since the Mantle API presentation.
Dunno how Sony will take advantace of that, but probably is what Bravia television team need to keep in mind if they're really going to promove Bravia 4K tv this time.
Maybe the next CES 2020.

DanielsM

Banned
How about a boat where you have to wait 30s before entering a room?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Compromise.

What else do you think is coming?

People are interested in the the specs, some of it was released and those people can now speculate as to some of the final features/specs which are probably not even final at this stage, but probably getting closer to that stage. Most of what was said was rumors before, you act like they have officially said these things - they really haven't.

Most of this is new, whether it excites you is just your own perspective but he did announce quite a few new features/specs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom