• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WIRED has given Hogwarts Legacy a 1/10 review score

Davevil

Where the hell are you getting this asinine assumption? Most other trans and Non-binary folk I know in relationships are in relationships with LGBTQIA people to begin with, with a sizable portion of them having non-cis partners. Why wouldn’t you date that which most understands you? Look at any random queer community or circle, especially with the younger LGBTQIA adult crowd. Most trans folk in relationships don’t have cis partners.

Makes perfect sense too. The truth is that too many cis people just don’t “get it”, so why bother with people that don’t get you?

This is one of the most common repeated misconceptions and all it does is perpetuate some weird, inherently flawed, expectation that says more about the person asking it more than anything else.
pelledoca-pelledoca22.gif

Everytime i read the word "cis"

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah that is what I mean. If you were a person in a world of magic that felt the need to transition, isnt there a spell that can (for lack of a better term, (please do not report me to the mods here) make you a legit woman? a womb, and all the other mental/physical issues women have to deal with? I mean, another thing is that you would never even need drugs or medical bills for the change.

Yes, however this defeats the entire point of putting this character in the game, which is make it incredibly obvious that they are trans, so that trans people can feel included by someone who realistically represents them. Rather than a perfect transformation within a fictional reality they can never receive.

Last edited:

Kdad

Any "journalist" who starts a story with "yikes" is not a journalist. She sounds like a fucking dunce with an axe to grind in this article. Queerness and queer adjacent crap is all well and good in video games – there are truly talented artists and devs who get brushed under the rug, I'm sure. Harry Potter was the perfect catalyst for the next wave of complainers about representation in video games and no AAA game can ever release and succeed purely by its own merit anymore.

Its well established that Walter Cronkite started all newscasts with "yikes'.
The issue is that VCRs in the 60s took 2 or 3 seconds to spool up and start recording so it was often just missed.
Look it up.

-Zelda-

Banned

Yes, however this defeats the entire point of putting this character in the game, which is make it incredibly obvious that they are trans, so that trans people can feel included by someone who realistically represents them. Rather than a perfect transformation within a fictional reality they can never receive.
Thanks for the information. Kinda makes it even more confusing now in a way since the ability exists. If that character could have done this (assuming they have access to that sort of magic) then it seems this is what they should have done. I mean, obviously per the writing in this game, none of the characters care and treat the character any different, so its not like anyone would know or even need to know if they had used this magic.

As it stands now it just seems like "look how progressive we are!" Like the Asari in Mass Effect Andromeda.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Thanks for the information. Kinda makes it even more confusing now in a way since the ability exists. If that character could have done this (assuming they have access to that sort of magic) then it seems this is what they should have done. I mean, obviously per the writing in this game, none of the characters care and treat the character any different, so its not like anyone would know or even need to know if they had used this magic.

As it stands now it just seems like "look how progressive we are!" Like the Asari in Mass Effect Andromeda.

Given her limited backstory she graduated hogwarts, so would have had the opportunity to learn in later years. However I think the point is that the character has to be "trans" at least in what the developer thinks that means, which is a bloke with some socks stuffed in a bra and wearing womens clothing and hangs around in bar's.

If they just did a mass effect andromeda where some female modeled, female voiced NPC immediately "dead names" themselves in the first casual conversation then you run into a backlash for being unrealistic their too.

Within the fantasy world of Harry Potter their is zero reason for a trans person to look like this, however your mixing up "this makes no sense in universe" with "developer intent" the intent is to have a man with socks in a bra and wearing women's clothing so that a majority of the trans community can feel realistically represented.

-Zelda-

Banned
Given her limited backstory she graduated hogwarts, so would have had the opportunity to learn in later years. However I think the point is that the character has to be "trans" at least in what the developer thinks that means, which is a bloke with some socks stuffed in a bra and wearing womens clothing and hangs around in bar's.

If they just did a mass effect andromeda where some female modeled, female voiced NPC immediately "dead names" themselves in the first casual conversation then you run into a backlash for being unrealistic their too.

Within the fantasy world of Harry Potter their is zero reason for a trans person to look like this, however your mixing up "this makes no sense in universe" with "developer intent" the intent is to have a man with socks in a bra and wearing women's clothing so that a majority of the trans community can feel realistically represented.

See this is why I like this site. We can actually ask these questions and get rational answers, but if I tried asking this anywhere else, even outside the obvious reee site, I'd be shut down pretty fast. Long live NeoGaf.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What actually pissed me off about that Wired "review" isn't that it was basically a pure ideological piece, it was the addition of a score to give the impression of legitimacy.

Alex11

That's ok. I used my government given check to buy Hogwarts on PS5, A Hogwarts poster, a Hogwarts Strategy guide (out in march), and I will also be buying the Switch version of Hogwarts as well. I'll also be buying the dlc across those two consoles as well. I also own the books and films.

That guy really needs help.
Serious help, but more importantly, how in the name of all that's holy these people get that specific job in the first place. Is there no one to vet them, I mean, if it's not detectable or they can hide it, these are serious issues...even more, illnesses. Jesus Christ.

kyussman

Where the hell are you getting this asinine assumption? Most other trans and Non-binary folk I know in relationships are in relationships with LGBTQIA people to begin with, with a sizable portion of them having non-cis partners. Why wouldn’t you date that which most understands you? Look at any random queer community or circle, especially with the younger LGBTQIA adult crowd. Most trans folk in relationships don’t have cis partners.

Makes perfect sense too. The truth is that too many cis people just don’t “get it”, so why bother with people that don’t get you?

This is one of the most common repeated misconceptions and all it does is perpetuate some weird, inherently flawed, expectation that says more about the person asking it more than anything else.
Good lord,you're really lost aren't you.....trans/non-binary folk......cis.....LGBTQIA.....you should learn to speak fucking english you might have more luck.

TronNerd82

I haven't played the game (nor do I intend to since I'm not a Harry Potter fan in the slightest) but I think a 1/10 score is absurd. Yes, J.K. Rowling is a transphobe, and she makes a cut of the game's sales, but they need to take the game for what it really is rather than completely shit on it for things the creator does. Kind of like how Ren & Stimpy still has a large following despite John Kricfalusi's CP nonsense. I'm sure the game is well-made and fun for fans of the series, but boycotting it because the creator is a stupid bitch won't do anything except deprive you of a potentially good game.

Good lord,you're really lost aren't you.....trans/non-binary folk......cis.....LGBTQIA.....you should learn to speak fucking english you might have more luck.
Or you could look in the Oxford English Dictionary to see that words get added to the language all the time (hell, no language is static)--even some of the words you used in your post were added at some point to the language. What a low-rent attempt at an insult that makes you look like an idiot, as well.

Ar¢tos

That's ok. I used my government given check to buy Hogwarts on PS5, A Hogwarts poster, a Hogwarts Strategy guide (out in march), and I will also be buying the Switch version of Hogwarts as well. I'll also be buying the dlc across those two consoles as well. I also own the books and films.

That guy really needs help.
There will be a Switch version?
I'm trying to imagine the ps5 version with a thick coating of Vaseline.

kyussman

Or you could look in the Oxford English Dictionary to see that words get added to the language all the time (hell, no language is static)--even some of the words you used in your post were added at some point to the language. What a low-rent attempt at an insult that makes you look like an idiot, as well.
No idiocy here....I know the difference between a man in a dress and a woman......I'm guessing you don't.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
https://web.archive.org/web/20230210135608/https://www.wired.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-review/

A journalist from Wired has given Hogwarts Legacy a score of 1/10 to deliberately thwart its success and hamper it's score on Metacritic/Opencritic. It's very likely other game media outlets will follow.

XioKcgQ.jpg
Somebody help me out here. I'm playing through this and it seems pretty damn inclusive if you ask me. There's people of all races far as I can see, sexual orientation etc. Yet the people who are against this game are still aiming to try and tank the game because of the creator of Harry Potter and what she said....YEARS AGO?

I mean, isn't it obvious the studio is trying to make amends for this? Can there be nothing said for that effort at the very least? What is wrong with these folks?

Add on top of this that they are willing to threaten the well being of every dev who worked hard on this game, whose livelihoods may hinge on the success of this. People who actively reached out to make sure they could so deference to LBGTQ+ and other minorities and you still get this? Is there nothing to say for progress?

This feels...immature to me. Like we're dealing with people who don't have complete control of their social faculties. You gotta toughen up. Bottom line. If you let every little thing affect you to the point where you can be triggered to this extent...it just makes you seem fragile.

Who gives a shit if she wrote the books? In the end it's one person's opinion. Don't let that rule over you.

Last edited:

kiryani

I’d like to just point out the animosity to JK Rowling that is shared on twitter is such an insignificant amount of the population that actually reads/likes the Harry Potter universe that it is probably statistically inconsequential.

Same goes for the opinions shared on various forums and for reviews. Nobody but the 1% probably considers this relevant nor cares. They will buy the books or play the games.

We should be careful in assuming the lack of mental faculties of the very few affect the many.

Harry Potter is literally the biggest book series in the history of humankind.

The author being targetted by left-wing extremists isn’t really surprising,

She’s been targeted by Christian’s in the past too, as well as other extremists. It’s just going to happen to anyone who is successful at that kind of level, it’s not unusual.

Ultimately, less than 00.01% of the people that know of JK Rowling, or her works - will even be aware of any of the accusations made against her. It’s just edge case extremism and it happens with everyone

oji-san

Banned
I haven't played the game (nor do I intend to since I'm not a Harry Potter fan in the slightest) but I think a 1/10 score is absurd. Yes, J.K. Rowling is a transphobe, and she makes a cut of the game's sales, but they need to take the game for what it really is rather than completely shit on it for things the creator does. Kind of like how Ren & Stimpy still has a large following despite John Kricfalusi's CP nonsense. I'm sure the game is well-made and fun for fans of the series, but boycotting it because the creator is a stupid bitch won't do anything except deprive you of a potentially good game.

You know Rowling personally and she said she hate trans?

No idiocy here....I know the difference between a man in a dress and a woman......I'm guessing you don't.
No, I do, too. You obviously don't know how to be logically consistent with your arguments as you were discussing language in your above post (learn to speak fucking English), not genre/sex (even though that's what those words address). But don't worry--that's what the feeble-minded do when they realize they lost... shift the topic to avoid looking like more of an idiot.

Carry on...

Right, I’m done. 3 months ago, I was tasked with writing an article detailing “20 Transphobic JK Rowling Quotes We’re Done With” After 12 weeks of reading her books, tweets, full essay & finding the context of these “quotes”, I’ve not found a single truly transphobic message...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

The only thing more pathetic than shaming people for playing/working on the game is when someone tries to justify themselves and beg for approval from the woke mob.

Bro 50% of these people don’t even believe their own bullshit. And 100% of them view social media like a video game where you score points by taking others down a peg + proving you are the most virtuous and victimized one of all.

Nobody cares if your rationalization makes sense. Nobody is going to read that and respond like “yeah that is a reasonable position, your actions are justified”. Once you try to defend yourself, they smell blood and will go in for the kill. And that’s exactly what happened if you read the replies.

Yeah that is what I mean. If you were a person in a world of magic that felt the need to transition, isnt there a spell that can (for lack of a better term, (please do not report me to the mods here) make you a legit woman? a womb, and all the other mental/physical issues women have to deal with? I mean, another thing is that you would never even need drugs or medical bills for the change.

Is this some kind of stealth bitching about having a tranny in game? Because you saying "why cant they just use magic to..." is dumb af when Harry Potter wears glasses.

phant0m

The only thing more pathetic than shaming people for playing/working on the game is when someone tries to justify themselves and beg for approval from the woke mob.

Bro 50% of these people don’t even believe their own bullshit. And 100% of them view social media like a video game where you score points by taking others down a peg + proving you are the most virtuous and victimized one of all.

Nobody cares if your rationalization makes sense. Nobody is going to read that and respond like “yeah that is a reasonable position, your actions are justified”. Once you try to defend yourself, they smell blood and will go in for the kill. And that’s exactly what happened if you read the replies.
isn't this is same guy that was advocating for boycotting his own game like 3 days ago? talk about riding the fence

"don't buy this game, even though I worked on it, because a small portion of your purchase will go to the greatest trans villain of all time"

"....buuuut if you do buy it, it's ok because the money that goes to me supports my trans partner and I"

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
do these people actially realise that all people laugh about guys in a dress? in a lot of countries you will get beat or be killed. Their horizont is really only til doorstep and internet bubble.

Cyberpunkd

Someone help me out with some science/hard facts:

What percentage of the American population is transgender?
What are the odds of two transgender people from the same parental units?
I pay 100% of our groceries and 2/3 of our rent.
Every.damn.time. You don’t even need to write this shit. Let me guess: as a result of trans hate his partner is constantly depressed and on medication?

ckaneo

There is nothing canon that would do this actually. Of course that doesnt mean it couldnt be invented

as1m

Banned
This is practically an admission from Wired not to take any of their reviews seriously since they will mark according to biases. Hell hath no fury, like a blue haired wierdo cuck scorned.

Kdad

timestamped

watch the last 35 seconds.

For those not wishing to give GS the clicks:
Hogwarts Legacy is developed by Avalanche Software, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The game has been embroiled in controversy due to transphobic remarks from Harry Potter author JK Rowling. Although she is not personally involved with its development, she stands to profit from its success. For more, read our in-depth article on how Rowling's comments have impacted the trans community. In this article, you will also find links to trans creators you can support, as well as charities you can donate to.

I get where the author is coming from but 1/10 is way too harsh and it's probably inaccurate too. That's my hunch researching the game up, without playing it.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For those not wishing to give GS the clicks:

They don't deserve clicks for the assertion that Rowling's remarks were actually transphobic, when by real-world measures (as in the laws of the UK, which ARE USED to drive prosecutions regularly for hate speech), they simply weren't.

They state unproven opinion as fact. Which is shit journalism 101.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

What if I told you a lot of people find the use of the term ‘cis’ to be offensive?

Would you care? Or is it only people who align with you who are allowed to be offended by the words used to describe them?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
How have we never seen any of these comments from JK Rowling?

I realize for all the shit people say she says I’ve never seen a single source or tweet.

Does anyone have receipts ?

Kdad

From OpenCritic's website:

First, OpenCritic looks to publication teams. In general, OpenCritic has a strong bias towards publications that are made up of teams of people who work together to find consistent editorial standards. While we do make exceptions, we expect most publications to be that: a publication.

Second, OpenCritic looks at how long a publication has been publishing reviews. In general, OpenCritic only admits publications that have been periodically writing reviews for at least one year, though some exceptions may be made. This is to avoid having a database of several small publications that rarely publish reviews.

Lastly, OpenCritic looks to make sure that the primary objectives of the publication's reviews is to help consumers make purchase decisions. Reviews that are primarily meant to humor its readers or critique a narrow aspect of the game are not permitted.

Season 1 Yes GIF by NBC

I don't see Wired's 'review' in their average...

Last edited:
Top Bottom