• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Next Playstation will be call Playstation 5. More details.

ZywyPL

Banned
Next gen sounds exciting to me. Sorry you aren't having fun in the run up to it.

I wish, but I simply can't - the games take 5-6 years to develop already, only to be released in a half-product state, they are either a bug fest or seriously lack content (or both). Microtransactions, lootboxes., season passes, games as a service, pay to win, forced open-world in everything - the list goes on and on, this entire generation is a mistake, a not-so-funny joke, and guess what? It will only get worse, no doubt about it. I can already see 70-80$ price tags, we just need a game like GTA6 or something to push it through, and nobody will bat an eye. So yeah, the hardware isn't as much of a concern, but all the support around the hardware is. And on top of everything - we're hitting uncanny valley so damn hard already, and with more processing power and more "realistic" graphics, the issue of creepy characters/animations will only expand, to a great extent. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I have to see it to believe it first.

Chittagong

Gold Member
KuNKaKH.jpg

T-Cake

The user interface has been completely revamped. “Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don’t want the player to have to boot the game, see what’s up, boot the game, see what’s up,” Cerny said. “Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.”

I hope this doesn't mean that the UI is still going to be as laggy as ****. It's going to need to go off and fetch all that data from the internet every time you pick a game.

jonnyp

If the RT hardware can be used for non-RT functions in games that don't use RT, it's not a waste at all.

So it can be used for some things in some games. Instead of just maximizing rasterization performance for all games. Sorry, still think it's a waste.

Journey

Banned
Please not that tales from.... again.

It was announced as hardware but some spined to software.
Now Sony clearly says hardware and you want to spin to software again?

Dreams won't come true.
Welcome to reality.

Relax, your dear PlayStaion will be fine, it's ok, it's really o. k.

Now that we got that out of the way, try to pay attention, I never said the PS5 will be software based. In the previous thread I simply commented on what each company had made public and what was rumored, everyone else was basing their comments on assumptions. "Well if MS has hardware support, then Sony MUST have it as well". And while that may hold true in the end, I don't like making up my own rumors without any basis, relying on simply a hunch.

Now, going back to that other thread about Gears of War dev saying Scarlett had RT cores, that is hardware acceleration, no simply saying that the hardware will support ray tracing, but shortly afterwards the comments were edited and the ray tracing cores part was removed, so there you have it, it's possible that neither one will have ray tracing cores, hurray for gamers! I mean that's what it's all about right? your preferred piece. (y)

Bryank75

Banned
Raytracing, rapid loading solution / ssd, 3D audio and haptic feedback as standard gives PlayStation a huge advantage over PC.... it will take PC a long time to standardize these features and then they risk excluding people that cannot get all the individual pieces of tech.

With haptic feedback, it can be programmed to make you feel a heart beat or helicopter or indicate a direction... if you were getting shot for instance. That really solves a lot of issues and helps decrease reaction time.

It also means PS5 will have developers making all these features as standard for that version. I believe a lot of PC gamers will start to see the value proposition of a console this generation.

This also makes streaming look like a joke, even beyond what it seemed already.

I cannot wait to get my hands on this thing and Demons Souls!

Last edited:

leo-j

I just want them to remake kill zone 1 with photo realistic 4K graphics and gameplay near what KZ 2 had and a way better story. They def have the opportunity to overtake halo and COD with a FPS considering how weak those franchises are now. All of Sony’s major AAA are hitting 10 million and more.

Bryank75

Banned
I just want them to remake kill zone 1 with photo realistic 4K graphics and gameplay near what KZ 2 had and a way better story. They def have the opportunity to overtake halo and COD with a FPS considering how weak those franchises are now. All of Sony’s major AAA are hitting 10 million and more.
Warhawk!

Less aesthetic than PS4 but I'm sure that's not the finalized look. Controller stuff is interesting but I hope Dualshock 4's work with it in case I'm not a fan. Want to know more about the extent of backwards compatibility but willing to wait. Need DAT launch line-up reveal!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Less aesthetic than PS4 but I'm sure that's not the finalized look. Controller stuff is interesting but I hope Dualshock 4's work with it in case I'm not a fan. Want to know more about the extent of backwards compatibility but willing to wait. Need DAT launch line-up reveal!

Its the final look of the dev kit, which always looks different than the consumer edition.

PS4:
ps4-retail-vs-devkit-testkit-1-76-vsh-differences-by-zil0g80-jpg.1760

PS3:
dims

PS2:
dims

PS1:
Playstation_Blue_Developer_Console.jpg

Matt_Fox

Hardware is one thing but when it comes to that xmas day feeling of unboxing the PS5 it's really all about firing up one of the launch titles. Who was there when the PlayStation 2 launched?

Back in 2000 I well remember in the days leading up to the PS2 launch. All eyes were on the 'big guns'; Tekken Tag Tournament, Gran Turismo, Fifa, The Bouncer (yes, hard to believe but The Bouncer was one of the PS2 most hyped launch titles). Then the game that came out and blew me away, which no one had anticipated, which my buddies and I played for hours and hours on end...

SSX.

Let's hope that next holiday season we get another such unexpected delight to remind us all why we love gaming!

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Raytracing, rapid loading solution / ssd, 3D audio and haptic feedback as standard gives PlayStation a huge advantage over PC.... it will take PC a long time to standardize these features and then they risk excluding people that cannot get all the individual pieces of tech.

With haptic feedback, it can be programmed to make you feel a heart beat or helicopter or indicate a direction... if you were getting shot for instance. That really solves a lot of issues and helps decrease reaction time.

It also means PS5 will have developers making all these features as standard for that version. I believe a lot of PC gamers will start to see the value proposition of a console this generation.

This also makes streaming look like a joke, even beyond what it seemed already.

I cannot wait to get my hands on this thing and Demons Souls!
The fuck?

PC has Raytracing, SSDs, 3d audio, and doesn't care about haptics with M&KB. LOL, how about the PC being able to run games at higher settings, higher resolutions, and 60+fps, all while playing the same fucking games bro.

The only thing consoles have over pc is the loading thing... Hell my 2080ti will smoke whatever the PS5 eventually has in it.

The delusion is so strong right now.

Last edited:
The fuck?

PC has Raytracing, SSDs, 3d audio, and doesn't care about haptics with M&KB. LOL, how about the PC being able to run games at higher settings, higher resolutions, and 60+fps, all while playing the same fucking games bro.

The only thing consoles have over pc is the loading thing...

The delusion is so strong right now.

You need to spend like a thousand bucks to get good ray tracing on PC right now, and the SSD tech is new tech, they've said so multiple times.

PlayStation 5 supports ray-tracing. This is not a software-level fix. “There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” system architect Mark Cerny said, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.”

Worth nothing this doesn't necessarily mean full hardware accelleration of ray tracing. Just means that, at a minimum, there's some aspect of the hardware designed to accelerate ray tracing. It could be a mixture of hardware and compute shaders, for example.

A full hardware solution might not be the optimal use of silicon, and a hybrid solution - while potentially slower - might allow for faster hardware elsewhere and for more flexibility in how ray tracing is implemented and used. We've already seen the Cernmeister talk about ray tracing being used in audio.

The same stands for MS - they might be taking a more flexible approach than, say, RTX. I expect a lot of commonality between PS5 and Scarlet's implementations, due to, you know, them both being based on spin offs of the AMD RDNA roadmap.

If you like linear third-person cinematic movies with gameplay sections between long cutscenes...sure.

Can't believe this comment is still flying while Gears 5 did everything it could to emulate the Sony model of people walking slowly in linear corridors while having banter and being filled with scripted shit. I guess if you never leave MP to play campaign it's hard to notice how far Gears has fallen from the first game which was just pure combat.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
God, that first xbox controller so broke. The gamecube controller was so awkward too.
looking back on the SNES controller, the four-button placements and the top shoulder buttons, feels like an early template for controller designs

Can't believe this comment is still flying while Gears 5 did everything it could to emulate the Sony model of people walking slowly in linear corridors while having banter and being filled with scripted shit. I guess if you never leave MP to play campaign it's hard to notice how far Gears has fallen from the first game which was just pure combat.

First and second game both had significant sections of walking slowly in linear sections, while talking, masking the loading in of the next section.

Due to the games loading from optical, some of these enforced walking sections were quite long. Well before Uncharted et al.

Mass effect 1 did a lot of loading / streaming hiding too. Really quite a lot, actually....

Last edited:
First and second game both had significant sections of walking slowly in linear sections, while talking, masking the loading in of the next section.

Due to the games loading from optical, some of these enforced walking sections were quite long. Well before Uncharted et al.

Mass effect 1 did a lot of loading / streaming hiding too. Really quite a lot, actually....

That's fair, but the first game was missing all the variety scripted sequences like big chase scenes and such. It was far more focused of a game, sort of similar story to Halo 1 vs Halo 2 where Halo 1 was strcitly giving you big sandboxes to play in but Halo 2 brought the scripted shit into the fold big time making for a lesser campaign but most ignored it in favor of the stellar multiplayer and the innovative matchmaking system. The "movie is game" thing can be applied to so many games beyond just Sony IPs it's hard to believe those lobbing such a critique aren't fans of some of them, hypocritically.

ethomaz

Banned
Relax, your dear PlayStaion will be fine, it's ok, it's really o. k.

Now that we got that out of the way, try to pay attention, I never said the PS5 will be software based. In the previous thread I simply commented on what each company had made public and what was rumored, everyone else was basing their comments on assumptions. "Well if MS has hardware support, then Sony MUST have it as well". And while that may hold true in the end, I don't like making up my own rumors without any basis, relying on simply a hunch.

Now, going back to that other thread about Gears of War dev saying Scarlett had RT cores, that is hardware acceleration, no simply saying that the hardware will support ray tracing, but shortly afterwards the comments were edited and the ray tracing cores part was removed, so there you have it, it's possible that neither one will have ray tracing cores, hurray for gamers! I mean that's what it's all about right? your preferred piece. (y)
Maybe you have no ideia what are you talking about.

RT cores like you say is just hardware accelerated units to run some ray-tracing critical maths.
Just because nVidia called it RT Cores didn't mean it is anything different.

If AMD add hardware acceleration in RDNA for some ray-tracing critical maths they will be in the same level than nVidia... maybe they use even a new marketing name like Radeon Ray instead RT cores lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Worth nothing this doesn't necessarily mean full hardware accelleration of ray tracing. Just means that, at a minimum, there's some aspect of the hardware designed to accelerate ray tracing. It could be a mixture of hardware and compute shaders, for example.
That is how nVidia does with RTX.

nVidia RTX have hardware acceleration units for some critical ray-tracking maths only.

So I have no ideia what you guys are trying to say that is not applied to nVidia or Microsoft... just because it is Sony there will be always a "but" lol

Last edited:
That is how nVidia does with RTX.

nVidia RTX have hardware acceleration units for some critical ray-tracking maths only.

So I have no ideia what you guys are trying to say that is not applied to nVidia or Microsoft.
RT cores do BVH acceleration, they're not Tensor cores.

Will AMD/Sony/MS have something equivalent?

ethomaz

Banned
RT cores do BVH acceleration, they're not Tensor cores.

Will AMD/Sony/MS have something equivalent?
Tensor cores to what exactly? I mean why have a hardware feature that is not used for games?
They will have only the equivalent to RT cores.

Maybe Deep Learning in games? BTW the solution AMD has for Tensor Cores on MI60 is better cost-effective except for training while that there are rumors AMD is working is something Tensor Core like too but it is not for gaming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom