• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired play through all of Too Human

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
10 hours isn't a bad thing.

10 hours for a repetitive grind/lootfest where everything looks average at best and where the story doesn't take off is a bad thing.

I got one of our writers over to play it as I have very little that is positive to say about the game. He seemed to enjoy it a bit but wasn't enjoying it enough to become a polar opposite of me.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Brianemone said:
I got one of our writers over to play it as I have very little that is positive to say about the game. He seemed to enjoy it a bit but wasn't enjoying it enough to become a polar opposite of me.

Is the story good at least?

Cheerilee

Mamesj said:
I just wonder how they knocked out Twin Snakes in record time...(and what the story behind Konami choosing them instead of an internal team is.)
Kojima insulted Nintendo by calling the GameCube a purple handbag in an EGM interview. He later said he was misquoted, he didn't mean it, and that he actually loved the GameCube.

Kojima and Miyamoto were having coffee one day, and Miyamoto asked "If you really love the GameCube that much, why haven't you made anything for it yet?"

Kojima said he was too busy making PS2 games, and even if he wasn't, he had no experience with the GameCube.

Miyamoto said he knew some gaijin who weren't doing anything important (just some "Too Human" thing they kept going on about), and had GameCube experience.

Miyamoto/Kojima invited Dyack to coffee and ambushed him with a offer to make Twin Snakes for them.

SK ported the MGS2 engine to the Cube, where Denis said it ran better than it did on PS2/Xbox, and used it to run the Konami-provided MGS1-PSX game-assets and inferior new FMV/voice acting.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
S1kkZ said:
sense
this post makes none

Look at GTA. Or Mario Galaxy. One Month after everyone was praising it to death, people started to complain about the way too high ratings. Ive rarely seen them, but they seem to lurk between us..

GTA4 is overrated.

Doc Evils

ruby_onix said:
Kojima insulted Nintendo by calling the GameCube a purple handbag in an EGM interview. He later said he was misquoted, he didn't mean it, and that he actually loved the GameCube.

Kojima and Miyamoto were having coffee one day, and Miyamoto asked "If you really love the GameCube that much, why haven't you made anything for it yet?"

Kojima said he was too busy making PS2 games, and even if he wasn't, he had no experience with the GameCube.

Miyamoto said he knew some gaijin who weren't doing anything important (just some "Too Human" thing they kept going on about), and had GameCube experience.

Miyamoto/Kojima invited Dyack to coffee and ambushed him with a offer to make Twin Snakes for them.

SK ported the MGS2 engine to the Cube, where Denis said it ran better than it did on PS2/Xbox, and used it to run the Konami-provided MGS1-PSX game-assets and inferior new FMV/voice acting.

:lol

Monocle

LaneDS said:
That effectively killed my remaining enthusiasm for this game. That looked terrible on a number of levels.
Ugh. I have to agree with you there. That opening is embarrassingly bad.

JB1981

LaneDS said:
That effectively killed my remaining enthusiasm for this game. That looked terrible on a number of levels.
atrocious

especially after playing mgs - these cutscenes are the very definition of amateur

LaneDS

I did like the seemingly obvious homage to Berserk in part two at least. Definitely reminded me of Guts a bit. Other than that, ugh.

WrikaWrek said:
Is the story good at least?

It seems very disjointed at first but after about an hour or two it starts to improve a little as some things are tied together.

I can't stant the combat though and being that it is 90% of the game I won't be buying it (or keeping the review copy to review myself)

This game is going to be shit, we all know this. Sorry, Dennis. I loved your other games, but I'm not going to get anywhere near this mess.

Making this game 10 hours long was a mistake. But hey, 10 yrs. of development= 10 hr. game.

Nolan.

TrueReligion said:
This game is going to be shit, we all know this. Sorry, Dennis. I loved your other games, but I'm not going to get anywhere near this mess.

Making this game 10 hours long was a mistake. But hey, 10 yrs. of development= 10 hr. game.

I doubt it will bomb like Haze level, but I feel bad for SK reguardless.

krzyspc said:
Cool, I can rent it and pass it on the way home.

Slow clap. I'm impressed :lol

It will be awesome once this game releases and enough time passes. Dumping on the game will probably go out of style by then and if the game ends up being good then the people who are actually interested will be able to enjoy a good game.

I thought that 10 year development crack was bannable. Oh well, water under the bridge.

FFChris

TrueReligion said:

You know, the game hasn't actually been in development 10 years... though I suppose it's a lot more fun for Gaf to think it has been.

Anyway, I once had faith in this game. It looks like first impressions (E3) of games usually are correct after all. So sad, because the game had lots of potential, though a lot of it was killed when they dropped 4 player co-op.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
kohler is ambivalent about a silicon knights game? so basically too human is worse than lair

Kittonwy

Banned
S1kkZ said:
intro part one:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35701.html

awful...(animations, dynamic, art design, no sense of weight)

part two hd:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35702.html

better, but not good.

WHY THE FUCK would they SLOW-MO a reload when said reload consists of Baldur merely touching his belt with his pistols? Is that such a fucking monumental event that I need to see it in slow-mo? And then they SLOW-MO him shooting ONE flying thingie and THEN they SLOW-MO him shooting the other flying thingie, like it takes some kind of superhuman skill, it's like some sort of Yoji Shimomura-style cutscene except everything is dumbed down and made for retards.

JoeLang

Seriously, the 1up network is doing a huge disservice to Too Human showing their vids in the "iso" camera. None of the previews have had a problem with art or graphics.

I think the only complaints that should seriously be looked at from the previews are:

Combat
Camera
Game Length and lasting appeal

Other than that, you guys are reaching. Every preview has commented on how technically well made Too Human is.

FFChris

Kittonwy said:
WHY THE FUCK would they SLOW-MO a reload when said reload consists of Baldur merely touching his belt with his pistols? Is that such a fucking monumental event that I need to see it in slow-mo? And then they SLOW-MO him shooting ONE flying thingie and THEN they SLOW-MO him shooting the other flying thingie, like it takes some kind of superhuman skill, it's like some sort of Yoji Shimomura-style cutscene except everything is dumbed down and made for retards.

:lol

Yup, that scene is a bit silly.

Kittonwy said:
I completely agree. It's not just this game either. There are so many games that apply slow-mo in the most indiscriminate way, apparently attempting to make even the most mundane actions epic and poignant.

WrikaWrek

Banned
S1kkZ said:
intro part one:

part two hd:

better, but not good.

Amazing. I saw that 2nd cut scene like a year ago (e3 07?) Back then everybody thought it looked awful.

1 year, and all they change are the colors and maybe an animation here and there. The choreography is still garbage, animation still looks crap overall, the slow motion continues to be lame, and the sound effects keep failing to give the scene any sort of impact.

Incredible, they must really think they know better than anybody else, so when someone tells them A or B is lacking they must don't give a damn and think that what they have is hot shit.

Disappointing, you would expect them to AT LEAST take a page or two from MGS TTS, but no, animation and cut scene directions, aside from here and there, is just crap. Heck that 1st video is horrible.

Nolan.

Kittonwy said:

Its Genius man, professors of universities were involved in the making of this game.

Shins

Banned
Kittonwy said:
nah nah nah you just have to switch to iso camera it'll be fine

S1kkZ said:
intro part one:

part two hd:

better, but not good.

So that is what Dyack is playing that.

Super duper ultra secret spoilers (no seriously I'm going to be giving the entire plot away here so don't highlight):
the premise of Too Human is the Aesir forcefully taking back Baldr from Hel? That's it? Jesus. At least that explains why he's baldr than bald

There is no facepalm big enough.

S1kkZ

WrikaWrek said:
Incredible, they must really think they know better than anybody else, so when someone tells them A or B is lacking they must don't give a damn and think that what they have is hot shit.

i agree. i hope i am wrong, but after watching the intro...

FFChris said:
You know, the game hasn't actually been in development 10 years... though I suppose it's a lot more fun for Gaf to think it has been.

Anyway, I once had faith in this game. It looks like first impressions (E3) of games usually are correct after all. So sad, because the game had lots of potential, though a lot of it was killed when they dropped 4 player co-op.

Stop that. :lol

Lack of 4 player co-op has about .1 % to do with why people don't like this game. 4 player co-op not being there is just one of the later justifications for all the other reasons the game would end up being crap.

People were saying the game were crap well before even today, so it's funny that some are acting as if later videos are revealing something to them that we didn't already know about since last year.

Nolan.

Dragona Akehi said:

Super duper ultra secret spoilers (no seriously I'm going to be giving the entire "twist" away here so don't highlight):
the premise of Too Human is the Aesir forcefully taking back Baldr from Hel? That's it? Jesus. At least that explains why he's baldr than bald

You mean is reasoning for choosing Baldur (the dullest god) out of anyone else.?

I didn't read the spoiler.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I would've avoided highlighting if i could but...there was no possible highlighting to do because your spoiler box was broken, and once i started reading the 1st word it was impossible to stop.

Thanks Dragona.

Shins

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

Super duper ultra secret spoilers (no seriously I'm going to be giving the entire plot away here so don't highlight):

initially malformed spoiler tags have ruined too human's intricate plot for me

thanks a lot!

edit: oh god the person above me might actually be serious?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
10 hours is perfect for a rental, so I might Gamefly this. It sounds like a decent way to pass the time before Gears 2 comes out.

You know, if this game released under the radar there would be a few threads after it came out talking about how it could be the sleeper hit of the year. But all the hype is going to turn the release into a circus of hyperbole.

WrikaWrek said:
Amazing. I saw that 2nd cut scene like a year ago (e3 07?) Back then everybody thought it looked awful.

1 year, and all they change are the colors and maybe an animation here and there. The choreography is still garbage, animation still looks crap overall, the slow motion continues to be lame, and the sound effects keep failing to give the scene any sort of impact.

Disappointing, you would expect them to AT LEAST take a page or two from MGS TTS, but no, animation and cut scene directions, aside from here and there, is just crap. Heck that 1st video is horrible.

What forum are you talking about? Everyone here was pretty positive about that cutscene back then.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Shins said:
initially malformed spoiler tags have ruined too human's intricate plot for me

thanks a lot!

edit: oh god the person above me might actually be serious?

I seem to lack your sharpness at writing sarcastic humor i guess.

OnBackOrder said:
What forum are you talking about? Everyone here was pretty positive about that cutscene back then.

Really? Gaf liked that? I don't remember if i was here at GAF already then.

Always thought that scene was some crappy ass shit, and the comments i remember seemed to reflect that back then.

Kittonwy

Banned
Nolan. said:
Its Genius man, professors of universities were involved in the making of this game.

ONLY if we consider BROCK a real university.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom