• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired play through all of Too Human

Crayon

I think it's going to come down on the Unreal Engine.

It mught take awhile for the excuses to start coming in tho. My bet is that Dyack will not even acknowledge the criticisms for a long time yet. The dude seems capable of some heavy duty denial.

Crayon said:
I think it's going to come down on the Unreal Engine.

It mught take awhile for the excuses to start coming in tho. My bet is that Dyack will not even acknowledge the criticisms for a long time yet. The dude seems capable of some heavy duty denial.
Well seeing how well every other people handled the engine, not much of an excuse.

pulga

Banned
Whoaa, just watched the intro sequence. To think this was one of my most anticipated games back in the Gamecube days.

Keep in mind, Diablo 3 has been in development for four years already, and is still two years away most likely.

Either way, I am excited for this game, and what else am I going to play in august?

Crayon

Iaido Sword said:
Well seeing how well every other people handled the engine, not much of an excuse.

Shit I didn't say anyone was going to believe it. =D

Edit: After all this hoopla about the cutscenes I had to go back and see the gameplay videos and they were in fact as bad as I remembered them. That is to say... even more damning than the cut scene vids.

Sean

Banned
Just watched the videos on Gametrailers. Denis, fire your animators :lol

That was my main complaint in 2006 and it's still my main complaint today. Especially when you make flashy cinematic cutscenes, poor animation becomes really noticeable.

Replicant

Akira said:
It's been years since people complained of the animation and it looks like they've not improved on it at all.

That's what happen when a person is too arrogant to accept criticism of his/her work.

Denis, fire your animators

And the script writers, voice actors, and game director while he's at it.

Sean

Banned
Replicant said:
And the script writers, voice actors, and game director while he's at it.

I don't think the voice acting is that bad personally, but once again the animation brings it down because the lip sync is totally wrong and it's really jarring.

master15

Sean said:
I don't think the voice acting is that bad personally, but once again the animation brings it down because the lip sync is totally wrong and it's really jarring.

Which is surprising as hell seeing as Eternal Darkness had some of the best voice-acting of last generation and had for the most part lip synching pretty spot on.

I'm just shocked how bad the opening cinema is...shocked :(

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Superfrog said:
1zlbvx3.gif

29w1h5u.jpg

:lol, I really busted out in laughter...

border

Rlan said:
Damn, that's some pretty crazy spin control.

I like how they assume that things like "Framerate problems" and "Camera issues" are the sort of thing that can be smoothed over in an afternoon of coding.

2 weeks ago Dyack said that the game was "days away" from going gold.....so to assume that any of this stuff can still be fixed seems like somewhat wishful thinking.

pulga

Banned
border said:
Damn, that's some pretty crazy spin control.

I like how they assume that things like "Framerate problems" and "Camera issues" are the sort of thing that can be smoothed over in an afternoon of coding.

2 weeks ago Dyack said that the game was "days away" from going gold.....so to assume that any of this stuff can still be fixed seems like somewhat wishful thinking.

Why would that be spin? It's the Australia branch, not "omggg exclusivee jade empire 9.9" US team.

my god...... i just watched the gameplay and the opening cinematics....

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

i feel sad

$h@d0w

Sean said:
Just watched the videos on Gametrailers. Denis, fire your animators :lol

That was my main complaint in 2006 and it's still my main complaint today. Especially when you make flashy cinematic cutscenes, poor animation becomes really noticeable.

Too Human looks like the people who animated 3dmark 2006 game 1 worked on it.

Superfrog

Someone over at the Eurogamer forums (seems to be mod over there) has posted this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=53993&category_id=39

Pirotic said:
This has to be the worst game I've played in the last 5 years, the NDA is against my human rights after the amount of mental anguish having to play this pos has caused me so I'm going to speak out and warn you all to cancel pre-orders while you still can.

Seriously, finished it in two sittings, two sittings of repetitive combat, painful story and graphics which wouldn't of looked out of place on a last gen machine. And don't get me started on the animations which I can only describe as being done by somebody reading a copy of 'keyframe for dummies!'

Silicon Knights.. what happened?!?

I really don't have the words to describe how bad this game is in almost every area.
ruh-roh

border

But [framerate] still tends to chug badly when more than a dozen characters (enemies or otherwise) hit the screen. Mind you, we can deal with a choppy framerate generally, but it does really add another layer of unease when you combine a sluggish framerate with a poor camera system and combat that is surprisingly prohibitive on the outset.

I think at this point it's clear that removal of 4-player co-op was due to technical limitations rather than poor design. It's not a matter of "Whoops, we forgot to design big levels"; Too Human would have choked on 4 players + enemies on screen.

pulga said:
Why would that be spin? It's the Australia branch, not "omggg exclusivee jade empire 9.9" US team.
Well, the assumption that all this stuff can magically be fixed in the last week or two of development strikes me as either extremely naive, or a desperate attempt to put a positive face on a close-to-final build of the game.

bj00rn

Banned
bigmakstudios said:
I feel kind of bad that this game has become a sort of running joke on gaf. Even if it turns out to be one of the biggest flops in the history of video games, it mustn't feel good for a project that's been in a person's mind for 10 years to be trashed so throughly. Hopefully Denis Dyack doesn't take it too hard. >_>

It's a damn gaming message board - On the internets. A joke in itself. It's not like Gaf is know for its weight in the industry. Neogaf is a narrow elitist near-invisible space compared to the sea of casuals with a buying power. I mean, people still made AC a success even though places like these came down on it. So how hard can it be?

Spoo

$h@d0w said:
Too Human looks like the people who animated 3dmark 2006 game 1 worked on it.

Basically. I was one of those 'hopefuls' a while back for this game -- at the time, it seemed like they had a good product (Back when they showed the game off on IGN).

Denis, if you're here - and I have a lurking suspicion you are - how exactly did you think you could nail the "language of cinema" with just a fancy camera algorithm that half-works? It's so much more than that. The animations in the game -- that's the acting. If it's not believable, well, shit, you sure did nail the language of cinema as subscribed to by Uwe Boll.

I really wanted Too Human to be cool, but it looks like it's just a failure. From what I can see, this whole package is the result of time-slipping while feature-slipping, and failing to make good promises of fine-tuning the animations.

And, seriously, you made such a big deal about this whole "make your choice; man or machine" crap I was totally fooled. Molyneux would be ashamed of you.

Now. Breathe. Realize Too Human isn't what you wanted it to be, cancel the next two in the series, and go back to Eternal Darkness, or fire your animators and do a different IP. You can be saved, I think. I have faith, and I am FOR a Denis Dyack in this world... just not a Denis Dyack spending 3-4 years on a game, talking it up like it's Diablo 3: Extreme Edition, and failing to deliver.

This thread has been gold. I hope to wake up in the morning to see several more pages. Hopefully, Denis will make an appearance. Denis, man, what the fuck is up with your animators? ED had good animation. And good voice acting, and a helluva better script.

Denis, you're gonna have to retrieve, verify, analyze, cross-reference...

...whyyyyyyyyyyyy?

border said:
But [framerate] still tends to chug badly when more than a dozen characters (enemies or otherwise) hit the screen. Mind you, we can deal with a choppy framerate generally, but it does really add another layer of unease when you combine a sluggish framerate with a poor camera system and combat that is surprisingly prohibitive on the outset.

I think at this point it's clear that removal of 4-player co-op was due to technical limitations rather than poor design. It's not a matter of "Whoops, we forgot to design big levels"; Too Human would have choked on 4 players + enemies on screen.

Well, the assumption that all this stuff can magically be fixed in the last week or two of development strikes me as either extremely naive, or a desperate attempt to put a positive face on a close-to-final build of the game.
Blizzard's D3 Developer Panel said they could handle 100 enemy units with 8 player coop.:D

FFChris

Iaido Sword said:
Blizzard's D3 Developer Panel said they could handle 100 enemy units with 8 player coop.:D

Little different, as D3 is on PC.

Looks like Too Human has turned out to be the train wreck everyone predicted. Crazy stuff.

Spoo

Iaido Sword said:

Not really relevent.

Of course, Diablo 3 rocks in every way shape and form -- but they aren't really of the same design paradigm when it comes to visuals.

Maybe if they had stuck with UE3 instead of throwing a hissy fit they coulda capitalized on that new ability to have hundreds of enemies onscreen at once.

Owned by Hissy Fit.

heliosRAzi said:
This thread has been gold. I hope to wake up in the morning to see several more pages. Hopefully, Denis will make an appearance. Denis, man, what the fuck is up with your animators? ED had good animation. And good voice acting, and a helluva better script.

I think you need to take a look at that game again...

Spoo said:
Not really relevent.

Of course, Diablo 3 rocks in every way shape and form -- but they aren't really of the same design paradigm when it comes to visuals.

Maybe if they had stuck with UE3 instead of throwing a hissy fit they coulda capitalized on that new ability to have hundreds of enemies onscreen at once.

Owned by Hissy Fit.
Oh it's very relevant... because of this thread. XD

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11695732&postcount=1

:lol I still can't get over the fact how they all look like little Denis Dyacks to me. This is so funny. Look, I'm the developer, I'm in the game! I wonder if he told the graphic guys to make the main character look like him (little more buffed up of course) or if it was their idea? Hey, maybe I can get extra credit for subtly modeling the main character like Denis? Maybe Denis didn't even notice this, only on a subconscious level and that's why he likes the game so much? Dunno, but there's something aboot this game I really like!

Nolan.

X26 said:
Hyped up game that costs a lot of money and time in development, planned to be a trilogy, claims to have a deep and engrossing plot, ends up being an ugly, sloppy game that utterly bombs and the series is canned. Oh...oh shit..Too Human may very well be this gen's...

advent_rising_box.jpg

I think this might be the first time that I actually hope a series i've been looking forward to for so long gets cancelled. It's almost like it gets worse with hardly any hope for redemption the more we find out about it. It's so strange though. Mainly because Ms has been pretty good at making decisions on which games to fund and which not to. It was only the other day people were laughing at Sony's decision to fund Heavenly sword so heavily whilst ms refused. Now i'm thinking they obviously can't b that great if they fund something this atrocious. Maybe someone slept with someone, or gave special favors to get this the greenlight, thats the only reason I can think of.

wow, it hasn't changed. Sorry Dennis. The animations are bad. How can any good animator think this looks good. And that evil chick with all the metal parts showing, she's really bad looking, "bad art" looking.

I now know why Nintendo had to let them go and its safe to say ED and MGS(a game they didn't even make) will be their best selling games of all time.

Jesus, what a waste of money this has been. Dennis kept bullshitting for almost 10 years and this is the final result.

Spoo said:
Now. Breathe. Realize Too Human isn't what you wanted it to be, cancel the next two in the series, and go back to Eternal Darkness, or fire your animators and do a different IP. .

Sadly, I have to agree. I mean, I still look forward to Too Human but...it's getting harder and harder. I'm a bit shocked by how unpolished it still looks.

norinrad21 said:
I now know why Nintendo had to let them go and its safe to say ED and MGS(a game they didn't even make) will be their best selling games of all time.

Jesus, what a waste of money this has been. Dennis kept bullshitting for almost 10 years and this is the final result.
Yeah, wth, if they were able to pull of pretty good animation with Twin Snakes (albeit ridiculously out of context), how come they can't do anything now?

Hmm, lets compare this thread to that Step up or shut up thread. There I was thinking, whoa, only like 10 AGAINSTs (including me) and 300 FORs.

Few days later, it's 300 AGAINSTs and 10 FORs, what a crazy world. I just knew that Too Human would kinda suck, the production should have been killed years ago. Now it's just an internet jester.

Diablos

This thread is great. The only thing that could make it better is if Denis Dyack jumped right into the middle of all this and put up a fight. :lol

duckroll

Iaido Sword said:
Yeah, wth, if they were able to pull of pretty good animation with Twin Snakes (albeit ridiculously out of context), how come they can't do anything now?

Are you sure? Here are the animation credits for Twin Snakes:

Motion Unit

Animators: So Toyota, Masahiro Yoshinaga, Kumi Sato, Hiroyuki Inoue, Makoto Akashi, Yoriko Shimizu, Yukiko Kaneda, Ryoko Yoshimura, Goro Kaneko, Tadashi Nushitani, Nobuyoshi Nishimura

Motion Directors: So Toyota, Masahiro Yoshinaga

Real Time Demo Unit

Storyboard: Tomokazu Ohara (Studio Gacum), Masato Kosaka (Studio Gacum), Akira Takeda (Studio Gacum), Iori Watanabe (Studio Gacum), Kaori Izumi

Artists: Masaya Kobayashi, Syuhei Tanaka, Hiroyuki Tsuchida, Daizo Shikama, Hideaki Mori, Yoshinori Onodera, Shintaro Naka

Vibration: Kumi Sato, Goro Kaneko, Nobuyoshi Nishimura, Hiroyuki Inoue, Tadashi Nushitani

Script: Satoshi Hirano, Shinta Nojiri

Coordinator: Keishiro Shin

Codirector: Isao Kiriyama

Director: Ryuhei Kitamura

Motion Actors: Attractive Action Club - AAC, Mizuho Yoshida, Mark Musashi, Yasuhiro Masuda, Mai Higuchi, Hirofumi Fukuzawa, Kaori Ichijo, Akira Oohashi, Toshinori Sasaki, Kisaki Tokumori, Eiji Morisaki

Ocelot Gun‑Action Actor: Kenichi Yoshida (Pale Riders)

Action Support: Ryuhei Sakata, Minoru Tomita, Yuji Takatsuki, Toru Miyokawa, Kiyoshi Hayashi, So Shikata Watanabe

Real Time Demo Action Coordinator: Mitsuo Abe

Motion Capture Staff: Links DigiWorks Inc., Kazuhisa Nishimura, Takayasu Yanagihara, Ryuichi Yamada, Shigeaki Nunokawa, Masaaki Murakami, Hiroyuki Wada, Akira Sakawa

Motion Capture Assistant Director: So Toyota

Motion Capture Codirector: Isao Kiriyama

Motion Capture Director Ryuhei Kitamura

You think any of these people work at Silicon Knights? :lol

For their sake I hope MS underplay Too Human at E3...and put a muzzle on Dyack to keep the negativity surrounding this game from tainting MS's E3 showing.

Top Bottom