• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired play through all of Too Human

border

There are four very lengthy levels in the game that take a couple hours each to complete; massive juggernauts of enemies with a few story scenes sprinkled throughout.

I've read most of the thread, but I'm surprised nobody really zero'ed in on this. Are there only 4 levels in the entire game? Or only 4 levels that are 2 hours long? It's ambiguous, but 4 levels x 2 hours each puts you at 8 hours.....pretty close to Kohler's advertised playtime.

For as much as they have enjoyed namedropping World of Warcraft, it doesn't seem like they have learned much from Blizzard's WoW:BC expansion. People want dungeons that can be completed in under an hour......not trash-filled endless crusades that take half an afternoon to slog through.

Spoo

Diablos said:
This thread is great. The only thing that could make it better is if Denis Dyack jumped right into the middle of all this and put up a fight. :lol

Well, remember, he has the advantage of actually playing the game.

Oh, wait... not anymore. Cat's out of the bag and TH sawks. I mean, what else can he do at this point for chrissakes? People are playing it, and the truth is coming out, and it's readily apparant that the promises behind this game haven't been kept.

I mean, all that talk about a huge focus on the story of norse mythos, will, what it means to be human? Slap Nietzsche's title on the game and some skill trees and you're at the height of artistic and cinematic expression allright.

duckroll said:
Are you sure? Here are the animation credits for Twin Snakes:

You think any of these people work at Silicon Knights? :lol
:lol Then who the hell from Silicon Knights was working on Twin Snakes?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I do not even read previews anymore... example: go read Iron Man's glowing and promising previews and the kind of reviews that followed the release of the game...

Previews are mostly useless these days...

duckroll

Iaido Sword said:
:lol Then who the hell from Silicon Knights was working on Twin Snakes?

The programming, remaking the maps in more detail, new gameplay BGM, etc. All the important creative work (script, cutscenes, cutscene music, artwork) were handled by Konami.

pn18

Banned
Spoo said:
Now. Breathe. Realize Too Human isn't what you wanted it to be, cancel the next two in the series, and go back to Eternal Darkness, or fire your animators and do a different IP. You can be saved, I think. I have faith, and I am FOR a Denis Dyack in this world... just not a Denis Dyack spending 3-4 years on a game, talking it up like it's Diablo 3: Extreme Edition, and failing to deliver.

Know what? I have the strange feeling that Too Human is a game that should have been canceled in a very early stage of development. Developers (and being a mapper myself, I think I have a good understanding of them) often have great ideas for games, but sometimes they HAVE TO discard them because they cannot handle them right. A good developer knows when it's time to do that.

Hell, even I know when it's time to do that.

pakkit

Banned
C'mon GAF, let's just wait a few more weeks till it comes out before shitting on the game. It'll give all of your arguments just that much more legitimacy.

duckroll said:
The programming, remaking the maps in more detail, new gameplay BGM, etc. All the important creative work (script, cutscenes, cutscene music, artwork) were handled by Konami.
Blow my mind, so Twin Snakes shouldn't even be under Silicon Knight's reputation banner.

duckroll

pn18 said:
Know what? I have the strange feeling that Too Human is a game that should have been canceled in a very early stage of development. Developers (and being a mapper myself, I think I have a good understanding of them) often have great ideas for games, but sometimes they HAVE TO discard them because they cannot handle them right. A good developer knows when it's time to do that.

Yup.

vd1ena.jpg

2cysizp.jpg

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
pn18 said:

wasnt this game the reason SK went to microsoft? sounds like nintendo understood this, which is why they wouldnt fund the game.

Geoff9920

Iaido Sword said:
Blow my mind, so Twin Snakes shouldn't even be under Silicon Knight's reputation banner.
He's just pointing out that the cutscene's in Twin Snakes that everyone complains about weren't made my SK. Try not to read so much into it.

Spoo

pn18 said:

Sounded great on paper.

I admire -- and, in a strange way, still admire -- the original enthusiam that went into this "reboot" of Too Human, but it really doesn't matter. SK seems to do better with smaller games that are more focused on doing one or two things right, and nailing it.

Personally, I'm starting to believe that ANY game that comes out as some pre-planned triology is either going to 1) never make it, 2) suck, or 3) both.

duckroll

Silicon Knights made two great games - Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness. Why anyone would want to use Twin Snakes as their "reputation banner" is beyond me anyway, it's not their game creatively and they have never implied that it is.

Geoff9920 said:
He's just pointing out that the cutscene's in Twin Snakes that everyone complains about weren't made my SK. Try not to read so much into it.
Snake ingame running animation is a lot better than that floating gold man in that gif posted some posts back.

Oh hey here it is.
Zenith said:
this is my favourite bit. the guy in gold just floats over the ground:

29ngh89.gif

Nolan.

quadriplegicjon said:
wasnt this game the reason SK went to microsoft? sounds like nintendo understood this, which is why they wouldnt fund the game.

It sounded like they left nintendo anyway (but had the idea) and happened across ms when it was more ''complete''. Still though i'm really interested in why anyone allowed it to get this far. From everything iv'e seen now, I wouldn't even call it good.

duckroll said:
Where's all that awesome DLC we were promised that would come out regularly to keep players involved all the way until ME2?

:(
Yeah I'm missing the DLC, have expected more as of now, but hey, at least the first game was awesome, and the franchise was planed as trilogy from the start.

duckroll

Hellraizer said:
Yeah I'm missing the DLC, have expected more as of now, but hey, at least the first game was awesome, and the franchise was planed as trilogy from the start.

I hope EA doesn't kill the franchise. :(

Geoff9920

Iaido Sword said:
Snake ingame running animation is a lot better than that floating gold man in that gif posted some posts back.

Oh hey here it is.
I have a feeling that's due to the fact that balder's animation has to speed up/slow down based on the current combo level. But yeah, I agree, the animation for the game isn't as good as I'd like it to be.

Nolan. said:
It sounded like they left nintendo anyway (but had the idea) and happened across ms when it was more ''complete''. Still though i'm really interested in why anyone allowed it to get this far. From everything iv'e seen now, I wouldn't even call it good.
Well it's pretty easy to get past Microsoft's QA.

I remember one time, a WWE game had broken online. The game wouldn't get online. That's something that should be caught in QA. There was also a really terrible FPS last year that past MS' QA.

MS probably would rather push a crappy game to recoup money than to care about their integrity.

duckroll

Iaido Sword said:

I remember one time, a WWE game had broken online. The game wouldn't get online. That's something that should be caught in QA. There was also a really terrible FPS last year that past MS' QA.

MS probably would rather push a crappy game to recoup money than to care about their integrity.

Mr Driller Online XBLA. That says everything about MS' "QA".

Nolan.

Iaido Sword said:

Thats seems to be it, there was me thinking nothing could get as bad as N3 this gen...

Ah well QA these days...and its not just MS.

Haze passed. Lair passed. Alone in the Dark passed.

Even good rated games have smaller issues due to which they never should have passed, or at least the issues should have been noted and fixed (or tried to be fixed).

They need to get a demo out before the release. They just have to. No NG2 bullshit this time around please.

duckroll

Hellraizer said:
Ah well QA these days...and its not just MS.

Haze passed. Lair passed. Alone in the Dark passed.

Even good rated games have smaller issues due to which they never should have passed, or at least the issues should have been noted and fixed (or tried to be fixed).

Poor Phil. He just can't catch a break. :lol

I've read most of the thread, but I'm surprised nobody really zero'ed in on this. Are there only 4 levels in the entire game? Or only 4 levels that are 2 hours long? It's ambiguous, but 4 levels x 2 hours each puts you at 8 hours.....pretty close to Kohler's advertised playtime.
4 levels and cyberspace.

EDIT: And once again I'm begging for someone to make a GIF of the climbing animation on this video:
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/19689

MGrant

You know, the game looks like it has some fun sections. Reminds me of the Marvel Diablo clones (X-Men Legends and whatnot). Those games were pretty fun in co-op, and okay overall. But boy did Dyack ever pull a Molyneux on this one. I just wish he'd said "Norse mythology, with ROBOTS!" and then shut up until the game's release.

Also, the completion times I'm seeing concern me, because I've always been substantially faster than reviewers. Remember how Twilight Princess was a 60-hour game, minimum? Yeah, that was 29 hours with all heart containers for me. Fable in 5 hours, Jade Empire in 10, all first playthroughs. So that's no bueno.

ThirdEye said:
"It sucks because it's on UT3! I sue Epic now to demand what we deserve! Oh wait..."
Irony total, indeed.

I'm really not holding my breath for this game. But if it turns out to be a bit more than decent, I'll consider buying it.

Hellraizer said:
Now fracking way! Where did they said that? :/
When they picked BioWare up.

Top Bottom