• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired play through all of Too Human

Doc Evils

ypo said:
Why hasn't Dyack shown up in this thread yet? I want him to come in here and puhwn all of us. Who's with me?

FOR!!!

24yx07r.jpg

Denis,

I know it must suck seeing something you've put years of your life into get torn apart, but you'll move on from this and make a better game.

Please, please, don't do anything rash.

so too human is only around 10 hours long. doesn't have randomly generated dungeons (just diff. layouts in dungeons and paths that open) and just ends when you feel like it's getting started.

nice.

Minsc

Gold Member
What I hoped we've learned here (I knew this for a long time):

- Impressions from a preview are totally worthless.
- A preview does not care what a game is called, a preview simply will list everything about a game and say it is good and looks great.
- Never say or think something is going to be good because you read it in a preview.

Busty

Banned
*logs into NegoGAF*

Ahhh, a Too Human thread I see. Oh Denis, what have you done to yourself son?

*clicks into thread*

Oh....the humanity.

Dever

Banned
Minsc said:

- A preview does not care what a game is called, a preview simply will list everything about a game and say it is good and looks great.
- Never say or think something is going to be good because you read it in a preview.

No wai

"Free Radical has taken the time to refine HAZE beyond expectations"
"HAZE looks like being, first and foremost, a brilliant current-generation shooter debut for Free Radical"
- EGDE (May, 2008) [UK]

"The first thing you'll notice is how beautiful it all is"
"HAZE already looks and plays superbly"
"We're pumped for HAZE"
- PSM3 (May, 2008) [UK]

Minsc said:

Well, this preview code is very close to being final code. As far as I know it's only a few bugs from the final retail code, so it's not like it's going to change dramaticly untill august.

rhino4evr

poor denis, and SK. I still think this game will be good, just not the AAA title it was being hyped to be. The amount of backlash in this thread is borderline scary. ha ha.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You know, in the past, I somewhat felt the Too Human bashing was kind of tongue in cheek. Like an in forum joke or something. This thread has proven to me that I was wrong. So, very wrong.

So wrong that I've entered an alternate dimension where I'm compelled to say something positive about the game somehow. Here goes.

Too Human has two things going for it. 1) There's not much else coming out for 360 when Too Human will hit. 2) There's nothing like it on the system. So, it'll be a new and interesting genre of game for the console that has a chance of being a hit with people. If only they didn't gimp the amount of players...

Shit, I couldn't get through it without saying it. Le sigh.

StuBurns

Banned
Kintaro said:
You know, in the past, I somewhat felt the Too Human bashing was kind of tongue in cheek. Like an in forum joke or something. This thread has proven to me that I was wrong. So, very wrong.

So wrong that I've entered an alternate dimension where I'm compelled to say something positive about the game somehow. Here goes.

Too Human has two things going for it. 1) There's not much else coming out for 360 when Too Human will hit. 2) There's nothing like it on the system. So, it'll be a new and interesting genre of game for the console that has a chance of being a hit with people. If only they didn't gimp the amount of players...

Shit, I couldn't get through it without saying it. Le sigh.
I don't think that's a legitimate argument at all. Just because it's the first Diablo clone on the console doesn't mean it has anything going for it.

As for the GAF hate for Too Human, I think it's for a number of reasons, firstly it's development cycle, the initial concept/pre-production started 11 years ago. This should be the most polished, perfected game of all time. People complaining about the story and writing is shocking, how can they have not put a decent script together in that time? It's not excusable. Secondly Denis himself, the way he positions himself, his company, game and ideas. A third thing is probably a fanboy element, SK have gone from Sony exclusive, to Nintendo exclusive to Microsoft exclusive. Fucking them all over by not delivering Too Human, or delivering a poor Too Human in Microsoft's case.

I personally thought it had some chance of being good, mostly based on the story, I wanted to see what could be done with over 10 years of writing going into the game, but apparently that's fallen short. Also SK worked on TTS, the bastard child of my favorite franchise.

TDG

Banned
Um... has something bad come up since the OP? I'm not reading through this whole thread, but the impressions in the OP sound fine, certainly not worthy of 20-page backlash.

Is this just a case of, "GAF's got a scapegoat and is going to ride it hard no matter what"?

I don't like Too Human or anything, but I can't be the only one who thinks this Dyack bashing is just mean now am I? Those videos don't look good at all, and I seriously do feel bad for the guy. He's just passionate about the stuff he creates. ;_;

Good luck, Denis.

Mohonky

the disgruntled gamer said:
Um... has something bad come up since the OP? I'm not reading through this whole thread, but the impressions in the OP sound fine, certainly not worthy of 20-page backlash.

Is this just a case of, "GAF's got a scapegoat and is going to ride it hard no matter what"?

The intro cinema looks crap. Posts ensue. Here we are today.

Take a look at the intro and gameplay videos posted in this same thread.

I haven't read the whole thread but it's probably the gametrailers videos

Geoff9920

Remember the Too Human intro that's been on the xbox live marketplace for over a year? Well, gametrailers posted a version of it from the most recent build, and animated gifs insued for the next 10 pages or so. You're looking at the end result.

Slayer-33 said:
52yejqs.gif

oh jesus.

JESUS. What the Christ.
Nothing wrong with that part. You do know that Odin's traditionally depicted with two raven companions, right? It's not just some stupid thing done for atmosphere, it ties into the mythology.

Ramenman

We just stumbled upon the final build intro custcene

And it happens to look the same as the 2007 version.

And laughable. And tons of gifs, etc.

BlockBastard said:
I don't like Too Human or anything, but I can't be the only one who thinks this Dyack bashing is just mean now am I? Those videos don't look good at all, and I seriously do feel bad for the guy. He's just passionate about the stuff he creates. ;_;

Good luck, Denis.

Same thing happened with Jade Raymond here. And the mods encourage it. Not sure how GAF expects to be taken seriously in the industry when they allow such blatant disrespect towards developers.

Ramenman

OnBackOrder said:
Same thing happened with Jade Raymond here. And the mods encourage it. Not sure how GAF expects to be taken seriously in the industry when they allow such blatant disrespect towards developers.

What ?

Apocryphon

Doc Evils said:
Comes out same time Lair came out.

Warhawk → 28 August 2007
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 → 31 August 2007
Lair → 4 September 2007
NHL 2K8 → 10 September 2007
Colin McRae: DiRT → 11 September 2007
NHL 08 → 11 September 2007
Heavenly Sword → 12 September 2007

The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II → 06 July 2006
Chromehounds → 11 July
Prey 11 → July 2006 NCAA Football 07 → 18 July 2006
(nothing then until mid-August)

NFL Head Coach 09 → 14 August 2008
Tales of Vesperia → 19 August 2008
Too Human → 19 August 2008
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 → 26 August 2008

It will see attention, just because there's nothing else. Like Prey did.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
OnBackOrder said:

Does GAF care to be taken seriously in the industry? I never got that impression.

I just finished checking out the intro cinema though. Ouch.

TDG

Banned
Mohonky said:
The intro cinema looks crap. Posts ensue. Here we are today.
Ah, I see. Well, I can't watch it right now, but if it's like the E3 trailer, it's pretty laughable.

Still, gameplay>cutscenes

Unison

OnBackOrder said:
Not sure how GAF expects to be taken seriously in the industry when they allow such blatant disrespect towards developers.

Do you think this is GAF's goal?

Also, plenty of developers are completely accepted and welcomed on this board.

Doc Evils

OnBackOrder said:

Eh Gaf praises developers that deserve to be praised.

OnBackOrder said:

All gaming forums are treated equally by people in the industry. For most developers, this site is indistinguishable from gamefaqs, IGN or any other board. and judging by this and other threads, that isn't too far off the mark. The only difference these days is the perceived superiority that lurks in the minds of the posters

Too Human doesn't look like a great game, IMO, but threads like this take juvenility to a whole new depressing level. The Jade Raymond stuff was equally despicable.

Busty

Banned
I wonder what SEGA are making of all this Dyack and SK bashing? Somebody, somewhere must be making a very worried phone call about now.

Alcander

I have to share my agreement that this has really gotten to depressing levels, even for gaf. Honestly, I know Denis may have brought this upon himself, but I truly feel bad for the guy. It's not hard to see how someone would fall in love with the game they are developing -- even outspokenly so.

Doc Evils said:
Eh Gaf praises developers that deserve to be praised.
Exactly. This is not a juvenile backlash anymore, people have played and previewed the game and recent gameplay videos are out there. The criticisms aren't baseless or unfounded.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the forum is fair to most developers.
Too Human should be mocked to a degree, if Avater comes out next year after 11 years of work and it's a piece of crap, every film board on the web will mock it, and rightly so.

Jade Raymond should never have been the face of that game, it's EA's fault, it was always going to end the way it did. EA should have known better and just had Patrice head the PR.

ElyrionX

GauntletFan said:
All gaming forums are treated equally by people in the industry. For most developers, this site is indistinguishable from gamefaqs, IGN or any other board. and judging by this and other threads, that isn't too far off the mark. The only difference these days is the perceived superiority that lurks in the minds of the posters

Too Human doesn't look like a great game, IMO, but threads like this take juvenility to a whole new depressing level. The Jade Raymond stuff was equally despicable.

People who took a shot at Dyack's weight got banned. I don't see what's wrong.

And to say that this site is indistinguishable from GameFAQs, IGN or "any other board" is just stupid. You don't see Dyack posting on GameFAQs, do you? What about the host of other industry insiders and journalists who post here?

Alcander

stuburns said:
Too Human should be mocked to a degree, if Avater comes out next year after 11 years of work and it's a piece of crap, every film board on the web will mock it, and rightly so.

Jade Raymond should never have been the face of that game, it's EA's fault, it was always going to end the way it did. EA should have known better and just had Patrice head the PR.
Ubi

X26

Banned
You know, this Too Human bash fest isn't GAF exclusive, go on any other popular gaming forum and it's virtually the same. It's become a meme almost

duckroll

stuburns said:

Last I checked, EA failed to buy over Ubisoft....

GauntletFan said:

Yeah don't get me wrong this can be a very cool place to discuss the industry but when it gets bad it gets really bad.

stuburns said:

Wait, are you saying Ubi was "asking for it" because she was a woman and there is literally no other expected reaction from gamers then, well, how would you describe it?

Top Bottom