• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired play through all of Too Human

def sim

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait, are you saying Ubi was "asking for it" because she was a woman and there is literally no other expected reaction from gamers then, well, how would you describe it?

I think he meant the actual lead dev should have been the face of the game instead of just the producer.

Raven1907

My most anticipated game in over 8 years.

What a fucking shambles this is, that intro is pathetic.

Get a director. Hell I'll do it, for free. I just wanted this thing to be great at least in terms of presentation. It looks shaky at best.

StuBurns

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait, are you saying Ubi was "asking for it" because she was a woman and there is literally no other expected reaction from gamers then, well, how would you describe it?
Basically yes. Anyone could have predicted putting a beautiful woman as the front of a video game which target audience is males in the teens to twenties was going to cause the kind of shit it did.

It was a stupid decision, maybe moneywise it wasn't, she might have actually helped sales, but the comic, gifs etc, was their fault. She was only one of the women who produced major titles last year, but she is the only one who ended up being ripped apart from it.

And Patrice was the director, it's his game, he should have headed it. The head of development always heads the PR, (except maybe Payton, but that's because Kojima is Japanese so it's easier) with Raymond, because she's hot, Ubi basically whored her out to the masses. I feel sorry for her, I really think Ubisoft 'used' her.

But this if off-topic, Too Human talk.

besada

Banned
rance said:
I think he meant the actual lead dev should have been the face of the game instead of just the producer.

But no one complains about that when it's a guy, I think is the point. Devs frequently pick a "face" for the company who may or may not be heavily involved in the game they're hyping.

I suspect they learned it from Nintendo, who uses Miyamoto to flog games he's barely involved with. It makes sense. Instead of teaching every lead dev how to deal with the press, you get one photogenic person who gets along with people.

stuburns said:
Basically yes. Anyone could have predicted putting a beautiful woman as the front of a video game which target audience is males in the teens to twenties was going to cause the kind of shit it did.

It was a stupid decision, maybe moneywise it wasn't, she might have actually helped sales, but the comic, gifs etc, was their fault. She was only one of the women who produced major titles last year, but she is the only one who ended up being ripped apart from it.

And Patrice was the director, it's his game, he should have headed it. The head of development always heads the PR, (except maybe Payton, but that's because Kojima is Japanese so it's easier) with Raymond, because she's hot, Ubi basically whored her out to the masses.

But this if off-topic, Too Human talk.

Yes, it certainly is.

SPEA

GauntletFan said:
All gaming forums are treated equally by people in the industry. For most developers, this site is indistinguishable from gamefaqs, IGN or any other board. and judging by this and other threads, that isn't too far off the mark. The only difference these days is the perceived superiority that lurks in the minds of the posters

Too Human doesn't look like a great game, IMO, but threads like this take juvenility to a whole new depressing level. The Jade Raymond stuff was equally despicable.
Logic and maturity in this thread? I'm obviously hallucinating. Carry on.

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
Lots of games are PR driven by the producer instead of the director though.
Lots of games don't have 'directors' that why.
It's almost always the 'head' of the project, if they are the creative director, the director, the producer or whatever. But Raymond was not the head of the project.

duckroll

stuburns said:
Lots of games don't have 'directors' that why.
It's almost always the 'head' of the project, if they are the creative director, the director, the producer or whatever. But Raymond was not the head of the project.

No, you're incorrect. Lots of games HAVE directors but are still PR fronted by producers. It happens in the west and it happens in the east. Sometimes the people making the game just want to give one developer interview and then get back to work. It's the producer's job to oversee the entire project and that includes handling PR.

duckroll said:
Lots of games are PR driven by the producer instead of the director though.

Back on Topic. So duckroll how do you feel about Too Human? Are you atleast going to check out the demo? There's really not much new in these previews, but overall they've seemed positive if you're into this genre.

El-Suave

I don't want to defend Too Human but I find it a bit funny that the tavern scene, that now turns out to be the intro, has been released on Xbox Live a year ago (E3 time if I remember correctly) - and only now people are ganging up on it.

def sim

El-Suave said:
I don't want to defend Too Human but I find it a bit funny that the tavern scene, that now turns out to be the intro, has been released on Xbox Live a year ago (E3 time if I remember correctly) - and only now people are ganging up on it.

Funny thing I heard is that they actually went and revamped it but it still looks super awkward.

WrikaWrek

Banned
El-Suave said:

People thought it would get better. It didn't.

antiloop

El-Suave said:

I think that E3 thread was kinda positive too.

X26 said:
You know, this Too Human bash fest isn't GAF exclusive, go on any other popular gaming forum and it's virtually the same. It's become a meme almost

It does make you wonder at what point Too Human gained the reputation it currently has and why it's been singled out.

The Dyack stuff certainly hasn't helped but I don't think that's solely responsible for this backlash, more that it's fuelled a fire that was already burning. The trailers are dire and the actual gameplay footage doesn't look great but worse games have passed through GAF without receiving this kind of mauling. I'm not defending Too Human, just thinking out loud here.

besada

Banned
El-Suave said:

You must have missed the thread when it came out, then. I was actually hyped for TH until that very thread, where I was horrified by the tavern scene.

Nolan.

El-Suave said:

Maybe I was somewhere else or something. Though some people complained about how cheesy, and ''rip off of mgs'' that scene was. Ever since they released it, along with the many comments about animations, weapons etc. To which a lot replied that it was obviously not done and would be fixed (which I hoped and believed). Which hushed the people that brought that stuff up.

Zenith

Banned
Superfrog said:
2urkzgk.gif

someone replace the face with a cat's head. he looks just like a cat batting at a piece of string.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People mocked it then but were assured it would improve.

I've pretty much learned that kind of stuff never happens.

besada said:
You must have missed the thread when it came out, then. I was actually hyped for TH until that very thread, where I was horrified by the tavern scene.

I remember finding it quite ridiculous and laughable as well (I think), but it didn't really dilute my enthusiasm for the game.

Madman

GauntletFan said:
All gaming forums are treated equally by people in the industry. For most developers, this site is indistinguishable from gamefaqs, IGN or any other board. and judging by this and other threads, that isn't too far off the mark. The only difference these days is the perceived superiority that lurks in the minds of the posters

Too Human doesn't look like a great game, IMO, but threads like this take juvenility to a whole new depressing level. The Jade Raymond stuff was equally despicable.
I guess Dyack's thread wasn't juvenile, right?

OnBackOrder said:

:lol

Me said:
But yeah, MS will "lose" e3, but they're shown without a doubt that they are going to have a phenomenal Holiday that, no matter what everyone else has planned for '08 to get people excited for a few weeks and then back to reality when they have to start waiting for shit to actually come out, is going to bring them back to neck and neck with Nintendo after they take the lead in a month or two and deal a pretty crippling holiday performance to their competitors.

My observations from the opening cinematic:

Is it me, or does the armour look kinda starship trooper/halo style?
toohumanob3.png

Looks like Shredder
toohuman1wq5.png

Similar Characters?
toohumux6.png

Interesting to see how the game plays out.

Baryn

Banned
GauntletFan said:
The Jade Raymond stuff was equally despicable.
I felt the "Jade Raymond stuff" to be completely apt, especially that one comic strip. She was the producer, remember, but Ubi was whoring her out more than Konami did Kojima for ZOE.

Why? Because she's female and not a dog. It's insanity, and GAF rebelled - rightly so.

WrikaWrek

Banned
If Jade Raymond was a dude, people would be all right with her being the face of the studio.

Seriously people, grow up, she's the producer, she's beautiful, and she was perfect to be the face of studio during.

Rogosh

Hypno, did you go out of your way to make those "standard def" shots look that bad? Even the standard def version from gametrailers looks sharper than that :lol. If i didn't know better i'd say you used the Gaussian blur filter before you pasted your wonderful artwork stolen in Limbo of the lost on top of it. Nevermind the fact that you're actually comparing too Human to that so called game (jokingly or not).

The most disappointing thing for me as someone who hasn't followed the game that closely is just how bad the presentation is in the opening scenes. Ignoring the animation, but the art of the characters in the world (the actual Too Human environments seem ok to me) and their dialogue and direction are so laughably cliched despite the awesome source mythology. The Too Human story has this great idea of being a modernization of Norse mythology (a fairly novel idea for all storytelling including movies and books), but what we get are the burly, bald, and bearded scifi characters doing every Matrix action sequence that have been done to death since 1999 and dialogue and character interaction for the adolescent male. Then you add back the animation which gives it an Ed Wood quality.

Madman said:
I guess Dyack's thread wasn't juvenile, right?

Yep. At least ever since EGM called the E3 2006 demo "terrible," he's taken criticism of the game so badly that I'm honestly a bit worried about what might happen when the reviews start coming in.

Geoff9920

Hellraizer said:
If Jade was a dude, Ubi never would have put "him" in the public like they did with Jade.
Considering she was the executive producer of the project, they most likely would have still made "him" the public face.

Dragon

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
If Jade Raymond was a dude, people would be all right with her being the face of the studio.

Seriously people, grow up, she's the producer, she's beautiful, and she was perfect to be the face of studio during.

Putting words into people's mouths and then disproving them is fun.

Nolan.

Hellraizer said:
If Jade was a dude, Ubi never would have put "him" in the public like they did with Jade.

They wouldn't have put jade in if she was a dude because Sexy Patrice is sexier.

Baryn said:
I felt the "Jade Raymond stuff" to be completely apt, especially that one comic strip. She was the producer, remember, but Ubi was whoring her out more than Konami did Kojima for ZOE.

Why? Because she's female and not a dog. It's insanity, and GAF rebelled - rightly so.

Oh please that comic strip was so direspectful to Jade it wasn't even funny. She was merely doing her job. Ever think that maybe she's just as talented as Kojima (or any other prominent industry figure) and that's why she was put in the spotlight? Or because she's a woman that never occurred to you?

WrikaWrek

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Putting words into people's mouths and then disproving them is fun.

Producers serve as the face of studios during game development all the time, nobody ever seemed to complain.

Happens in movies too.

Loudninja

OnBackOrder said:
That looks really good. I think a lot of people are failing to realize the game has a completely different control scheme than most action games. It controls like Geometry Wars.

More like Monster hunter IMO.

StuBurns

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Producers serve as the face of studios during game development all the time, nobody ever seemed to complain.

Happens in movies too.
Your post was presumptions, to say that anyone who was not happy with Raymond's role would be happy if she was male is nonsense.

I personally didn't really care she fronted the project, I would have preferred Patrice to because she basically never talked about any of the concepts or game design, something Patrice would have been in a position to do, and very fully.

So I totally disagreed with your comment as well.

To say she was the perfect person to front the project might be true, having her front it might have had positive effects on sales. But Ubisoft would not have had her do it if she was a male, I really believe she was only chosen because she was attractive, which is sad. Of course the comic and things were terrible, but it was going to happen, Ubisoft should never have had her do it if they were really worried about that kind of thing happening.

slewis7

Hellraizer said:

That is ridiculous. She seemed extremely capable, knowledgable and articulate in all the interviews I saw her in. The people who made light of her involvement were infantile.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
lol OMG, I'm so sorry!

The thread threw me OFF so bad that I thought the bird was flying and not stationary, thats why I reacted that way (thought he stopped flapping midair and didn't fall/show it was descending)

:lol

njp142 said:
The Too Human story has this great idea of being a modernization of Norse mythology (a fairly novel idea for all storytelling including movies and books), but what we get are the burly, bald, and bearded scifi characters doing every Matrix action sequence that have been done to death since 1999 and dialogue and character interaction for the adolescent male.

I hope it's just the opening. They already proved two times that they're more than able to write a good (videogame) story. If they fail in this regard, I'll be really pissed...

Top Bottom