• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Gets New Game+ Mode as Final Free DLC

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just in time for me, finally rescued Ciri so I doubt there's that much left in the game. Though I don't know if I want to immediately start playing it again.

Lol, your only
just over halfway

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
People praising New Game Plus free DLC

What has this industry become

I know it's fun to critique the mess this industry often is, but people happy a 100+ hour single player narrative driven role playing game already loaded with content that in no way needed "new game plus" to feel complete yet is now having the feature, requested by fans, patched in for free, is not an example of this mess.

Fracas

#fuckonami
What's the issue? We're glad a feature we want is coming. SHAME ON US!

Oh no don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's a thing and it's good of CDPR to include it in. It's just interesting that the game industry is in such a state where something seemingly simple as this is a lauded move.

It's cool to see happen and it's great to see CDPR continue support (in the form of both the free DLC and continuous patches).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm happy that they're including NG+ but I have to say I'm not at all impressed with the free DLC so far. It appears to me as if it's just content they removed from the game so that they could keep a promise and actually charge for what WAS going to be free DLC. It really is telling when you come across a door that you couldn't open or a village with no NPCs and 'suddenly' we have DLC for that.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm happy that they're including NG+ but I have to say I'm not at all impressed with the free DLC so far. It appears to me as if it's just content they removed from the game so that they could keep a promise and actually charge for what WAS going to be free DLC. It really is telling when you come across a door that you couldn't open or a village with no NPCs and 'suddenly' we have DLC for that.

You thought they were going to give 30+ hours for free
charm_laugh.gif

Agreed, mostly cosmetic and some the armor is worthless compared to what you get later.

cackhyena

Is the frame rate in better condition after that last patch goofed things up? After hearing the movement is improved, I'm super close to getting the game.

You realize that content are cut from game all the time, right? Usually because they have to make ship date and remove stuff that are unfinished or unlikely to be finished. And usually when they are cut, that's it, they are cut, you will never see them again.

So CDPR probably took some of the stuff they cut from the game to make ship date and went back to working on them after ship date and get them in shape to be patched back into the game, and you're complaining?

jacobeid

Banned
Oh no don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's a thing and it's good of CDPR to include it in. It's just interesting that the game industry is in such a state where something seemingly simple as this is a lauded move.

It's cool to see happen and it's great to see CDPR continue support (in the form of both the free DLC and continuous patches).

Try and think about this situation more positively; a developer in 2015 used fan feedback to add a requested feature for free. Ten years ago we would have needed to wait until The Witcher 4 to see if CDPR implemented fan feedback.

SilentRob

This free DLC program has been a fun ride, both in the anticipation and the actual content released. Hopefully it's set a higher standard for DLC in all games; at the very least it will endure as something people can point to and say, "it should be like this."

CD Project RED continues to impress.

It's all marketing. Providing new content free of charge isn't something only CD Project does. They simply act like it's revolutionary, and people seem to believe them.

Titanfall players got whole new modes and gameplay mechanics (Black Market) months after release. Burnout Paradise had amazing post-release support even back in 2008 with hundreds of free challenges, cars and even the introduction of bikes. Evolve got new Maps and Modes free of charge. Halo 5 will have free Maps post-release. And those are BIG publishers: EA, 2K, Microsoft.

Difference is. They don't pander to their audience quite as much as CD Project does. CDP know that they are loved - and rightfully so, they are an amazing studio! But with their "Free DLC Campaign" I really felt like they sold something that's slowly becoming an Industry standard like a big, new revolutionary thing only they would ever do because they love their fans so, so much. And the community ate it up because it was another chance to celebrate CDP while shitting on other publishers - even though they were often doing exactly the same thing already. Kind of rubbed me the wrong way, especially because much of it was just "Here, have a new skin/animation".

Aaaanyway, sorry for that, none of that changes the fact that the inclusion of New Game + is great, even though i will probably never be able to actually make use of it. I just finished the Novigrad Quest and will probably need 7 more months to actually finish the game. I just never want to skip anything because every single fucking thing is so well-written.

Dark_castle

Perspective. Witcher 3 is a massive game even for one play through that perhaps a NG+ mode just wasn't on the top priority list in the game development.

LifEndz

Just amazing news. I messed up getting all the Gwent cards the first time around. It'll make the chase for all them so much easier in new game plus. Thank you, based CDPR.

eFKac

First 1.07, now NG+, I'll never start my second playthrough...

Hope it will count towards the Death March trophy or I'll be pissed.

The world felt so lifeless and empty after I beat it, it was rather lonely and a testament to how connected I felt to the other characters. Where is my love interest(s)?! Why is character a not at Kaer Mohren? Where is character b and why can't I play as her or alongside her.

RDreamer

You realize that content are cut from game all the time, right? Usually because they have to make ship date and remove stuff that are unfinished or unlikely to be finished. And usually when they are cut, that's it, they are cut, you will never see them again.

So CDPR probably took some of the stuff they cut from the game to make ship date and went back to working on them after ship date and get them in shape to be patched back into the game, and you're complaining?

Apparently people think they're entitled to every idea anyone ever thinks of while developing a game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

There is nothing substantial enough about the free DLC that would suggest it was cut because of time constraints. Nope, they had plans on releasing 'some' of the paid DLC but decided to remove a few tiny side quests and then add a little more to the paid DLC.

They saw dollar signs.

I'm still going to buy the DLC when it hits. I just don't like having the wool pulled over my eyes.

Majukun

don't know if it's enough to make me play a long game like this AGAIN..hope they add something special and it's not just a "restart the game but now you and the enemies start from lv 35"

I am doing a completionist Death March run through, so I am not sure if there is any point in this for me, but I am looking forward to see what it offers.

Staf

It's all marketing. Providing new content free of charge isn't something only CD Project does. They simply act like it's revolutionary, and people seem to believe them.

Titanfall players got whole new modes and gameplay mechanics (Black Market) months after release. Burnout Paradise had amazing post-release support even back in 2008 with hundreds of free challenges, cars and even the introduction of bikes. Evolve got new Maps and Modes free of charge. Halo 5 will have free Maps post-release. And those are BIG publishers: EA, 2K, Microsoft.

Difference is. They don't pander to their audience quite as much as CD Project does. CDP know that they are loved - and rightfully so, they are an amazing studio! But with their "Free DLC Campaign" I really felt like they sold something that's slowly becoming an Industry standard like a big, new revolutionary thing only they would ever do because they love their fans so, so much. Kind of rubbed me the wrong way, especially because much of it was just "Here, have a new skin/animation".

Aaaanyway, sorry for that, none of that changes the fact that the inclusion of New Game + is great, even though i will probably never be able to actually make use of it. I just finished the Novigrad Quest and will probably need 7 more months to actually finish the game. I just never want to skip anything because every single fucking thing is so well-written.

Isn't the main difference between W3 and those games that the latter has microtransactions. Meaning they have a direct financially incentive to support the game to keep players playing so they buy microtransactions?

RDreamer

There is nothing substantial enough about the free DLC that would suggest it was cut because of time constraints. Nope, they had plans on releasing 'some' of the paid DLC but decided to remove a few tiny side quests and then add a little more to the paid DLC.

They saw dollar signs.

I'm glad you have access to their development process and can pass on this valuable information.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I find it a little odd that it's being released as optional DLC rather than just being part of a patch.

How entitled are you? Seriously?

You have this 100+ hour RPG that is brimming with content. Then, you're given 8 weeks of free DLC concluding with a new game mode. This is shit that other developers/publishers would be charging $5 a piece.

This is the attitude that publishers see when it comes to DLC and so they think, "Fuck it, they'll complain if it's free anyway so just charge'em for it. Someone else will gladly pay for an alternate character outfit."

Just be glad that a developer is doing some things while keeping the gamers wishes and wallet in mind. Maybe if others communicate good will, then other publishers will pump out free DLC to earn some gamer loyalty back.

Chris1

Isn't the main difference between W3 and those games that the latter has microtransactions. Meaning they have a direct financially incentive to support the game to keep players playing so they buy microtransactions?

Titanfall doesn't have microtransactions either

jacobeid

Banned

They saw dollar signs.

I'm still going to buy the DLC when it hits. I just don't like having the wool pulled over my eyes.

It must be pretty cool having access to CDPR's internal development decisions!

Owzers

Now everyone can do the hunt for Ciri all over again while making marginally different choices outside of the narration telling you how it changed the world...I think i'll wait for the expansion.

Top Bottom