• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3: Official Gameplay Trailer

It's been slowly creeping up on me with these promotional videos, but my hype is really starting to increase now for this. Might have something to do with marathoning most of season 4 of GoT in preparation for Sunday, plus playing a fuckton of Pillars of Eternity. I've been off fantasy in games pretty much since Skyrim, so coming back now seems like a fresh start, and ya know, with stuff that has decent writing/dialogue in it for the genre :p

It's probably the third person aspect, but in a weird way this is giving me the kind of giddiness Ocarina did from watching these videos. Sure there's been plenty of open world fantasy games since then, so maybe it's a color palette thing, or that big mountain in the distance reminding me of Death Mtn. It's fookin crazy how far games have come in terms of scope and detail since then, I dunno thinking about it in that context makes me even more excited for W3.

UnrealEck

I mean, I know it will run and look better on my PC. But I am hoping to play at 4K on PC. So hopefully TW3 is optimized as hell. TW2 struggles with 4K on Ultra on my rig.
Also I prefer the Dual Shock to my 360 game pad.

I guess we'll see. If the difference is huge, and it may well be with Nvidia HairFX... I will play it on PC no doubt.

I don't mean to piss you off or anything but sometimes you say the most absurd shit :p

Even without 4K, the game running on a GTX 970 will not only look superior, it'll run superior, it'll load faster, it'll have features not even possible on the console and you can experience it all using your Dual Shock as well.
Even if the graphics were identical I can't imagine why anyone would play it on a PS4 over a GTX 970 when performance and load times are undoubtedly going to be quicker, smoother and snappier on the system with a lot more processing power.

If it's a game with heavy multiplayer gameplay and your buddies are on PS4, then I could understand.

danthefan

My hype-ometer is off the fucking charts here, hopefully it plays as good as it looks in these videos.

And hopefully my 580GTX can run it, whelp.

I agree. I would have also posted those pics and GIFs as examples.

Yup. Sad but true. This trailer is a rollercoaster of meh-looking and great-looking scenes. Far more meh than great...

Man...that looks so much better than what's in this trailer

The early footage was incredibly unrealistic though. Not the art direction I mean, but rather what they were aspiring to achieve graphically.

Should be interesting to see what they do with Cyberpunk... but they'll still be dealing with the same console hardware.

Sid

The early footage was incredibly unrealistic though. Not the art direction I mean, but rather what they were aspiring to achieve graphically.

Should be interesting to see what they do with Cyberpunk... but they'll still be dealing with the same console hardware.
Was that a target render?

The 580 is below the minimum specs for this game.
Possibly. I mean, it is, but usually the x80 end of the previous gen can match or exceed the performance of the x60 card of the generation above it. So unless there are specific features missing from the card, or they're gonna auto detect the card and not let them run it, they might be able to run at minimum.

cripterion

Fuck me hard, this was hype.
So big, so many characters, monsters, locations, things to do... dayum.

Also, GTAV really set a new trend in gameplay trailer presentations lol.

Rockstar did this type of trailer before GTA V. But I agree, it's their style.

That's not true at all.

This isn't lol elven racism.

The Witcher series really delves into it and its a central plot point for many mainline characters and quests. One of the most important of all characters in Witcher 2, Iovreth, entire character arc revolves around racism.

And its not just har har humans hate elves cause they're different. There are deep lore reasons why there is so much animosity between races. Not to mention its not elven exclusive. Many elves despise humans and dwarves. Many dwarves hate men and elves.

You're comment doesn't represent how the series handles race relations

And again, it's not this groundbreaking taboo in fantasy RPGs that the line implied it was. I know you're upset because it sounds like someone is mocking something you like, but the "even racism" line was hilariously read and overall kind of silly.

farisr

Oh damn. This is coming out next month?

For some reason I thought it was next year. I have too many games to play...

what a nice problem to have.

Zolo

And again, it's not this groundbreaking taboo in fantasy RPGs that the line implied it was. I know you're upset because it sounds like someone is mocking something you like, but the "even racism" line was hilariously read and overall kind of silly.
I also thought it was pretty hilarious because war crimes sounded worse to me. Maybe racist war crimes?

Lingitiz

You guys think a 670 and 4670k would significantly better than a PS4? Tempted to play on PS4 since I play on different PCs and moving a PS4 is much easier.

Kssio_Aug

Wow... that game graphics and world dimension is something spectacular!
I wonder how the XB1 version will look like. That's where I wanna play it.

Yeul

I'm so excited, this trailer was amazing and some of the moments were pretty funny lol. The release date is so close and yet it can't come soon enough. I built my first PC in November in anticipation for all of the games that would be coming out, I'm so happy I'll be able to play this on PC vs. a console where I originally thought I'd have to play it. I'm sure all versions are going to be great, but man it'll be rewarding to see it maxed out on a PC that I built myself.

You guys think a 670 and 4670k would significantly better than a PS4? Tempted to play on PS4 since I play on different PCs and moving a PS4 is much easier.

The 670 is significantly better.
You'll be able to play at least at a better resolution and fps, not to mention higher quality options.

I'm running a GTX 770 SC 4GB edition with an i7 4790k and am worried I won't be able to run this well (obviously questioning my 770)...

How can the PS4 run it better than his specs with inferior hardware?

(I have a ps4 as well, should I just go ps4? :(, do I really need to upgrade my 770 already?)

I sincerely doubt a PS4 will run the game better than a PC with a 660, imagine a 770.

Serick

Married Member
In your case I would advise you to go PS4.

I'm running a GTX 770 SC 4GB edition with an i7 4790k and am worried I won't be able to run this well (obviously questioning my 770)...

(I have a ps4 as well, should I just go ps4? :(, do I really need to upgrade my 770 already?)

You'll be able to play at least at a better resolution and fps, not to mention higher quality options.

I sincerely doubt a PS4 will run the game better than a PC with a 660, imagine a 770.

I guess I'll just stick with my PC pre-order then. Hopefully nvidia has a good settings profile ready to go at launch.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
You know how I gonna do it ?
Hdmi Cable from PC to TV.
Ds4Windows on my Pc for Dualshock 4.
Then I have the comfy couchgaming with a awesome dualshock, paired with the better Graphics and Framerate :)

Well, I mean I always PC game from my couch. Electric reclining couch, 65" 4K Curved TV, Surround sound, bluetooth M&KB, 360 gamepad.

Does DS4Windows fix the button prompts? 360 button prompts while playing on a DS4 would drive me nuts.

I don't mean to piss you off or anything but sometimes you say the most absurd shit :p

Even without 4K, the game running on a GTX 970 will not only look superior, it'll run superior, it'll load faster, it'll have features not even possible on the console and you can experience it all using your Dual Shock as well.
Even if the graphics were identical I can't imagine why anyone would play it on a PS4 over a GTX 970 when performance and load times are undoubtedly going to be quicker, smoother and snappier on the system with a lot more processing power.

If it's a game with heavy multiplayer gameplay and your buddies are on PS4, then I could understand.

Haha. Yeah you're right. I guess I am being a bit odd with this title. Makes sense to just play it on PC. Even if I have to drop it down to 1440p it will still be significantly better. And I can just let a friend play my PS4 copy.

Would love to see the PC version in action. 4K with hairFX and what not.

Does DS4Windows fix the button prompts? 360 button prompts while playing on a DS4 would drive me nuts.

DS4windows doesn't change button prompts, but it make it so you can use the DS4 on pretty much any game that support the xbox controller on pc. Mods that change the button prompts to that of a Dualshock are usually one of the first to come out for games that get modded.

R5avDT.jpg

7W56UP.jpg

How am I supposed to choose between those 2? HOW?

Altough Triss has a 2 game advantage I have read the books and so they are about equally awesome for me.

Seanspeed

Banned
GTX670 will definitely be more capable than the PS4 but maybe not 'significantly' so. You'll still be at 1080p and you likely won't get 60fps without reducing settings below console quality. Of course, being able to tailor settings how you like it is always an advantage.

I have the wild hunt edition ordered from amazon.co.uk.............. for Xbox one.
Someone please convince me why should i replace the xbox one version with the PS4 ?

Serick

Married Member
GTX670 will definitely be more capable than the PS4 but maybe not 'significantly' so. You'll still be at 1080p and you likely won't get 60fps without reducing settings below console quality. Of course, being able to tailor settings how you like it is always an advantage.

Can you explain how a 670 isn't significantly better than the PS4's GPU? I thought the common consensus is it was roughly as good as a Radeon 7750, and the GTX 670 smokes that card.

Älg

Obviously no one knows for sure, but I can't image that a 670 would perform worse than a PS4. It's only slightly slower than the recommended specs.

Kezen

Banned
Because it's not running a very thick API. PCs always need more to do as well, that bas been the case for a very, very long time. You won't get similar results with exactly the same hardware in a PC environment, granted I'm fully aware a 670 is stronger on paper but then there is compute....

I guess I'll just stick with my PC pre-order then. Hopefully nvidia has a good settings profile ready to go at launch.
I would guess a 770 would do "better" (either higher framerates or better effects). 4gb should help a lot with the textures.
Don't expect a world of a difference though.

I seriously doubt you'll need to reduce quality below PS4 level to achieve 60 fps on a 670.
Some options may be the same, but lower than console quality?
Nah.
The 660 on the other hand? That may be right, but the 670? No way in hell.

Because it's not running a very thick API. PCs always need more to do as well, that bas been the case for a very, very long time. You won't get similar results with exactly the same hardware in a PC environment, granted I'm fully aware a 670 is stronger on paper but then there is compute....

I would guess a 770 would do "better" (either higher framerates or better effects). 4gb should help a lot with the textures.

This generation that hasn't been as true as it was before. See the latest multiplat releases, and how PC can get better performance with cards that aren't exactly high-end.
My 660 got a better performance and image quality than a PS4 in Dying Light, Ground Zeroes, Dark Souls 2, Evil Within and Xenoverse from what I can remember.

Not saying that PS4 is bad, just that you don't -need- a really expensive or new GPU/CPU to get a better experience than consoles right now.

danthefan

I know this isn't the right thread but since we're talking about graphics cards... Will the new Pascal cards be compatible with current hardware? As in will I just be able to plug one into by current mobo?

Stiler

I wonder if that Unicorn was just for Ciri or something you'll actually be able to ride?

This game is easily my most anticipated game for the past year.

Also did the dialogue remind anyone else of Deadwood? Especially when the guy tells him to "Have a drink with me ya >insert the most used word in deadwood<."

Serick

Married Member
Because it's not running a very thick API. PC always need more to do as well, that bas been the case for a very, very long time.

I don't get this -- these very forums champion how much superior equally priced PC's are to the consoles ($400 pc vs a PS4) but now a GTX 770 is only marginally better than the PS4?

Was that a target render?

I do not believe the early footage was from a target render, but rather from an early build of the game that did not take into account the power of most PCs \ current-gen consoles. Gotta remember that optimization usually occurs not at the beginning, but towards the end of development. But you still want to show off your game when you announce it. So you basically have to guess what you think will be feasible and sometimes... artists get ahead of themselves.

Seanspeed

Banned
Can you explain how a 670 isn't significantly better than the PS4's GPU? I thought the common consensus is it was roughly as good as a Radeon 7750, and the GTX 670 smokes that card.
Between a 7850 and 7870.

I'm going by what my actual results were with a 670. You can definitely do as well or better than PS4 versions, but apart from some exceptions like Battlefield or Alien Isolation, the difference is unlikely to be that dramatic.

Kezen

Banned
I don't get this -- these very forums champion how much superior equally priced PC's are to the consoles ($400 pc vs a PS4) but now a GTX 770 is only marginally better than the PS4?

1) We were talking about a 670.
2) Opinions.

It's not black and white, comparisons between PC and consoles need to account for the disparity in efficiency and API features. A 770 (even a 670) is stronger than the PS4 GPU on paper but the difference in practice may not be anywhere near as significant as you believe, those higher PC settings come at a cost (surely you figured this out) so I will certainly not promise you an incredibly richer, better, smoother experience with a 670/770.

I made no pretence about being a maven on the subject, this, obviously, is speculation. Take it as such, and we will see once the game releases.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ah I see where you're trying to go with this...

Anyways I disagree with Kezen. This 'console optimization' stuff hasn't really panned out when we compare multiplatform games.

Loris146

Well at 30 fps i almost maxed out Ac Unity with a GXT 670 ( rock solid frame rate outside cutscenes ) so i don't think there will be particular problems with TW3.

Top Bottom