• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the success of Persona 4 on Vita, is Persona 5 on Vita a sure thing?

How confident are you about this, Vita owners? I was not a fan of Persona games in the past, but playing P4G in portable form really made a difference. I just finished my first playthrough of it and I immediately bought Persona 3 Portable. I don't think I'd want to play Persoma 5 glued to my tv on my PS3. I find it to be a much better experience when portable, especially with Vita being able to suspend/resume. I know at this point Persona is only announced with no hardware announcements. It seems certain to be a PS3 game, and likely a 360 game as well since Catherine was a decent success on the 360. I imagine P4G was Atlus testing the Vita out. At this point, we should be able to sleep easy that a Vita version will come right?

How much of a success was P4 on vita?

But a ps3/vita cross everything version of the next game would be great.

Sleep function on Vita really helps when you want to brake up grinding those dungeons. Could not imagine playing the game any other way for that stuff but transferring over to the console for the rest would be ideal

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Persona 5 needs to be made first. Most likely, it will be made for the ps4 and then ported for the vita.

stryke

I'm awaiting my copy of P4G but from my shrewd impression, it doesn't look like it was doing gangbusters. If P5 is a vita exclusive it will be a nice bump to vita sales though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
How confident are you about this Vita owners? I was not a fan of Persona games in the past, but playing P4G in portable form really made a difference. I just finished my first playthrough of it and I immediately bought Persona 3 Portable. I don't think I'd want to play Persoma 5 glued to my tv on my PS3. I find it to be a much better experience when portable, especially with Vita being able to suspend/resume. I know at this point Persona is only announced with no hardware announcements. It seems certain to be a PS3 game, and likely a 360 game as well since Catherine was a decent success on the 360. I imagine P4G was Atlus testing the Vita out. At this point, we should be able to sleep easy that a Vita version will come right?

Considering it probably would have sold better on any other platform out right now, well, besides the Wii U....

Hoo-doo

Banned
I hope it's not going to be exclusive to Vita though, I want that game on the PS3 or PS4.

I don't want to buy a Vita just for that game, but if I have to, I will. ;_;

z0m3le

Banned
wait, P3 sold millions right? and P4 on PS2 was probably very successful too (millions seller) i suspect, so how did the Vita version of P4 become "successful" I mean Mario tennis on Virtual Boy I hear was a big hit for that device too, but I think very few would call it a success.

zeopower6

It'll probably be on PS3. Persona 4 came out a year or so after the PS3 was released on the PS2, so why would Persona 5 be on some other console or handheld?

The FES/Golden type version of Persona 5 will probably be Vita though.

It was successful?

Well in Japan it was the second best selling Persona title of all time despite not being a mainline title. Not sure about WW though.

Persona 5 should be either PS3 exclusive or PS3/PSV. I think Atlus will get more sales worldwide if it was on PS3 and maybe even in Japan too.

Maybe P5:FES will be on Vita like Golden was.

wait, P3 sold millions right? and P4 on PS2 was probably very successful too (millions seller) i suspect, so how did the Vita version of P4 become "successful" I mean Mario tennis on Virtual Boy I hear was a big hit for that device too, but I think very few would call it a success.
Well it sold over 250k it's first month in Japan. That's pretty damn successful for a 3 year old port.

It did fairly good numbers. I don't doubt a port will come unless the tech is too advanced for Vita

You overestimate how well Atlus' games sell

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Vita will probably get a P5 version down the line to get fans to double dip - it is expected.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I really doubt Persona 5 will be a PS4 game. At least, it will certainly have to have current gen versions.
Unless it is released by the end of this year, it is going to be a ps4 title methinks . Most likely, p5 will be done in a few year's time, which makes a ps4 version a certainty if they are making it for a console.

Squire

Banned
P5 is definitely on PS3. I think either the Vita or the 360 is also very possible, depending on what the engine they built is derived from.

They've already set a precedent for the games to appear on console first with a sort of Director's Cut on handhelds later. That could easily be reason enough to not release a Vits version right out of the gate.

Unless it is released by the end of this year, it is going to be a ps4 title methinks . Most likely, p5 will be done in a few year's time, which makes a ps4 version a certainty if they are making it for a console.
Persona 4 came out in 2008. That's 2 years after PS3, and 3 years after 360 release. Atlus' MO is not pushing tech. They don't have any need to do that. Persona fans would be more than happy to see a current gen quality Persona game since none exists.

z0m3le

Banned
Well in Japan it was the second best selling Persona title of all time despite not being a mainline title. Not sure about WW though.

Persona 5 should be either PS3 exclusive or PS3/PSV. I think Atlus will get more sales worldwide if it was on PS3 and maybe even in Japan too.

Maybe P5:FES will be on Vita like Golden was.

I suspect P5 to make the jump to multiplatforms, the Catherine move makes me think this, and it could possibly even come to Wii U thanks to the feXsmt likely porting the Catherine engine to Wii U on Nintendo's dime. So possibly PS3/360/U, Vita still seems unlikely but heck if I am going to assume Wii U could happen, than I should at least humor the idea that they will port Catherine engine to Vita too.

P4 was released two years after the PS3 was on the market. Atlus is a small company, so there's no way that they're going to jump onto a tiny userbase with a new installment of their most important franchise.

Capcom just announced that they'll be releasing Basara 4 exclusively for the PS3 in 2014. So that shows that Japanese companies have no issues continuing to support older hardware with popular titles.

I suspect P5 to make the jump to multiplatforms, the Catherine move makes me think this, and it could possibly even come to Wii U thanks to the feXsmt likely porting the Catherine engine to Wii U on Nintendo's dime. So possibly PS3/360/U, Vita still seems unlikely but heck if I am going to assume Wii U could happen, than I should at least humor the idea that they will port Catherine engine to Vita too.
Persona 5 isn't using the same middleware engine as Catherine. They've said they are making new tech for it.

cluderi

It's a must buy for me but being in Australia I can probably expect it two years after Japan and North America and every time I try to use a persona or talk to another character it crashes.

Sure better be a good start menu as I expect to see a lot of it.

Squire

Banned
It isn't going to be for PS4. They built the engine for it after Catherine.

It also won't be on more than two platforms at launch. Atlus isn't Ubisoft. They don't have anywhere near the bad with for that sort of launch. You may as well count a Wii U version out. Flatlining console in a line that has never had a Persona game.

It isn't going to be for PS4. They built the engine for it after Catherine.

It also won't be on more than two platforms at launch. Atlus isn't Ubisoft. They don't have anywhere near the bad with for that sort of launch. You may as well count a Wii U version out. Flatlining console in a line that has never had a Persona game.
Would you think a 360 or Vita version would sell better? I feel the Vita stands a chance since Persona is much more popular in Japan.

It'll be a home console release (ps3 and possibly Wii u) a handheld port will happen a year or 2 down the line whether its on vita depends if its still alive by then

web01

According to that chartz site P4G jp version only sold 100,000 less that the ps2 P4 jp (360,000+ p4 vs 260,000+ p4g). Considering the VITA install base VS PS2 install base at each games respective release that is extremely impressive. There is no way they can be disappointed with the VITA sales.

Numbers seem accurate (but underestimated) based on other sources that also list sales and P4 / P4G lifetime sales announced by Atlus themselves.

Also lol at people thinking these games sell millions of copies.

Squire

Banned
Would you think a 360 or Vita version would sell better? I feel the Vita stands a chance since Persona is much more popular in Japan.

Between the two? Vita, absolutely. I also think a Vita version is more likely given that it's Sony hardware and I suspect they're using PhyreEngine (or a derivative) which is a Sony engine made for their platforms. Atlus put P4G on Vita when the system was down in the absolute dumps and they're pleased with how it's performed, so I don't think P5 being on Vita day one or later is any sort of stretch theory.

The only reason I mention 360 is because with Catherine and P4A on it, you could make an argument they've tried to cultivate an audience on that platform, even as non-existent as it is in Japan.

According to that chartz site P4G jp version only sold 100,000 less that the ps2 (360,000+ p4 vs 260,000+ VITA). Considering the VITA install base VS PS2 install base at each games respective release that is extremely impressive. There is no way they can be disappointed with the VITA sales.

Numbers seem accurate based on other sources that also list P4 lifetime sales.

VGbollockzzzzzz.com

According to that chartz site P4G jp version only sold 100,000 less that the ps2 P4 jp (360,000+ p4 vs 260,000+ p4g). Considering the VITA install base VS PS2 install base at each games respective release that is extremely impressive. There is no way they can be disappointed with the VITA sales.

Numbers seem accurate based on other sources that also list P4 lifetime sales.

Chartz is wrong. If you search for its sales, Atlus posted an announcement that P4G sold 260,000 in Japan in its first few months. Maybe the difference is because they included digital copies?

Vita is far more likely as a SKU than WiiU or even 360 lol.

Persona is still most popular in Japan and their not using the Catherine Engine iirc.

WORLDTree

Looking at some dev testimonials from peeps like the RCR dev, developing cross platform games between PS3 and Vita is much easier then say Wii-U and 3DS due to a more streamlined toolset meant for such a thing. So that coupled with Atlus always being late moving into the "next-gen" I think the situation is different for P5 as a separate special/scaled down version will not have to be made, and a simultaneous release is more likely. That said looking at Catherine and P4A, Atlus is comfortable doing 360 work as well in order to get a more expanded audience in the west, so there's a good chance it might pop up there as well.

I don't really see a Nintendo version popping up, 3DS is feasible for it's large user-base, but the Wii-U is most likely out of the picture unless FExSMT comes out first to good numbers establishing a user-base.

I say this because as pointed out earlier, P4G has sold pretty good and is comparable to previous releases despite previous games coming out on platforms with significantly higher user-bases.

So while all platforms are up in the air to some degree, I do think Vita is one that can be counted on as it's proven that there is a good-sized Persona audience on the platform.

web01

Chartz is wrong. If you search for its sales, Atlus posted an announcement that P4G sold 260,000 in Japan in its first few months. Maybe the difference is because they included digital copies?

Well you are agreeing with what they say then. Its probably more for both versions realistically but I guessing these are only the known numbers.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/1...passed-expectations-golden-sales-also-strong/

That was in october so yeah could be a bit more by now.
Seems good if you ask me.

Squire

Banned
It'll be a home console release (ps3 and possibly Wii u) a handheld port will happen a year or 2 down the line whether its on vita depends if its still alive by then

Why do you think Wii U is at all possible? Not trying to argue and seriously asking. Anyone can answer, too.

I've seen a few people suggest this and it always seems like they're expressing a personal desire (if that) more than suggesting a possible or likely outcome.

The series has no history whatsoever on Nintendo platforms. Wii U has almost no market share to speak of and while that's much less relevant to a niche game like this (these games are only ever going to do so well) and you could say the same for Vita, Vita got P4G.

So my question is: What motivation would Atlus have to even consider putting P5 on Wii U, when even the 360 is a much more viable platform?

zeopower6

There's no presence at all of Persona on Nintendo systems, so why is there even an assumption? Sure, there's a lot of SMT recently (basically ALL SMT) on 3DS but Persona will likely stay where it's been since Persona/Persona 2 (first one got a PC port though... weird) on Sony platforms.

Why do you think Wii U is at all possible? Not trying to argue and seriously asking. Anyone can answer, too.

I've seen a few people suggest this and it always seems like they're expressing a personal desire (if that) more than suggesting a possible or likely outcome.

The series has no history whatsoever on Nintendo platforms. Wii U has almost no market share to speak of and while that's much less relevant to a niche game like this (these games are only ever going to do so well) and you could say the same for Vita, Vita got P4G.

So my question is: What motivation would Atlus have to even consider putting P5 on Wii U, when even the 360 is a much more viable platform?

As I said possibly not saying likely

serplux

Uhh, it's a Japanese series that sells a lot more in Japan. The Wii U's a better decision than the 360, although there's little chance that a Wii U version will actually happen.

Persona86

Banned
PS3/PS4 or bust.

They said Catherine was kind of a test for the next Persona, but after they wanted to use a better engine. So expect great things.

Soriku

They started working on the game since 2010. It's likely to be released in 2014. It's a PS3 game at the absolute minimum. You know not every dev will move on to next gen right away right?

It's likely PS3/360, or maybe just PS3 exclusive (both Catherine and P4A were on the 360 though). I wouldn't count out PS3/Vita entirely but I doubt it's likely. Vita might get its own version down the line.

Squire

Banned
As I said possibly not saying likely

Why do you think it's even possible? What would be their incentive?

Uhh, it's a Japanese series that sells a lot more in Japan. The Wii U's a better decision than the 360, although there's little chance that a Wii U version will actually happen.

360 has had a Persona game (albeit a spin-off) in the form of Persona 4: Arena. It's also had Catherine, a game by the same development team, which is pretty common knowledge amongst the people who've played it.

Wii U has none of that. So, what makes it a better choice for P5 than 360? That it's Japanese hardware and P5 is releasing in Japan?

The thing is 90% of the sales will be on the PS3 anyway and the funny thing is with the WiiU doing so bad now, a 360 version may actually outsell a WiiU version worldwide. A 360 SKU would definitely outsell a WiiU SKU in the West.

Yeah I see this happening in a lot of Persona threads lately. I think its mostly wishful thinking and the announcement of FExSMT giving some hope to Nintendo fans.

Domstercool

There's no presence at all of Persona on Nintendo systems, so why is there even an assumption? Sure, there's a lot of SMT recently (basically ALL SMT) on 3DS but Persona will likely stay where it's been since Persona/Persona 2 (first one got a PC port though... weird) on Sony platforms.

There was no presence of Final Fantasy on Xbox, then it got 11 and 13.

You can't just say no, because the video game world no longer works like that, lol.

If I was to take a guess, this title would be a PS3 game. Persona 4 came out late into the PS2 life cycle (2008) and did great for Atlus. This could be the exact same situation for Persona 5 and the PS3.

zeopower6

I'd guessed that P4A made it to the 360 because fighters in Japan tend to be released on that console with very few being PS3-exclusive. Not sure about their reasoning for putting Catherine on it though...

There was no presence of Final Fantasy on Xbox, then it got 11 and 13.

Very odd exceptions imo. Plus the Xbox brand has only been around for a handful of FF releases (X, XI, XII, XIII/-2).

Top Bottom