• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the success of Persona 4 on Vita, is Persona 5 on Vita a sure thing?

I think a PS3 version might be possible, but we should consider the fact that PS3 is on its way out and we have no formal announcement that P5 will come to the PS3.

Capcom just announced that they're going to release Basara 4 exclusively for the PS3 in 2014. It's not on its way out for Japanese developers.

Soriku

Atlus is a small company, and Persona is a resource heave game. I think a PS3 version might be possible, but we should consider the fact that PS3 is on its way out and we have no formal announcement that P5 will come to the PS3. The Vita is not doing that great in Japan either, so a 3DS version should not be out of the question. Loads of Atlus games have already been moved to 3DS, what makes P5 so different?

Umm...it's been in development since 2010, and Atlus released Catherine, made by the Persona team, in 2011.

PS3 won't be on its way out for quite a while yet. Especially for smaller devs.

NotLiquid

I don't think console exclusivity matters for Atlus. Catherine and Persona 4 Arena, the latter more importantly, was multiplatform. When the four original Persona games came out it was mostly a case of what every other third party did of going to Sony and Playstation because it was the only platform they could go all out on without any crutches as well as finding an accessible user base. It used to be the only reasonable choice for a platform. That's changed since then.

That's not to say that the market is necessarily there for the Wii U because it... really isn't. But does that discount the possibility of the game appearing on it? Not really. The SMTxFE collaboration is a rather good indicator of what level of partnership the two companies have, which is to say nothing of the other Atlus games that are coming to Nintendo platforms such as Soul Hackers and SMTIV. You could say that "Persona is a different series" but as has been established earlier the whole "allegiance" thing holds little weight.

So yeah, while I think PS3 is really the only platform that's guaranteed to see Persona 5, you can't really say Wii U doesn't have a chance. Vita? I sincerely doubt that one.

Squire

Banned
Atlus is a small company, and Persona is a resource heave game. I think a PS3 version might be possible, but we should consider the fact that PS3 is on its way out and we have no formal announcement that P5 will come to the PS3. The Vita is not doing that great in Japan either, so a 3DS version should not be out of the question. Loads of Atlus games have already been moved to 3DS, what makes P5 so different?

Persona isn't resource intensive at all. It's very text heavy and of course there's a good amount of voice acting, but when it comes to raw assets - models, art, music - they reuse things like crazy.

One thing about game development is that figuring out what and how you want to do something is often much more difficult than actually doing it, once you've nailed down what it is exactly.

PS3 isn't going anywhere. There's been new games announced for it like every month this year, including games from Sony who've already stated they don't intend to cut support for the platform. If you have something to support your argument, then by all means! As it stands the idea that the PS3 is going anywhere seems pretty baseless.

The series has only been on Sony hardware, never been on Nintendo hardware, and Atlus isn't known to have moved a ton of games to 3DS, as you say. They built them for that system from the start.

1 year ago, I would have said Persona 5 on PS3 or Vita is a given.
But considering how close Atlus and Nintendo are getting, with SMT IV on 3DS or SMT x FE on Wii U... I'd say we could be surprised.

Whatever the platform, one of them will be a Nintendo platform. I think it's likely that persona will move to 3DS and will be exclusive. WiiU is not out of the question either, Atlus and Nintendo seem to get along together very well these days.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

3DS now wow. In that case P5 would be a visual downgrade form P4G lol.

WiiU bombing destroys any chance of Persona coming to the system.

There has been no so far suggestions why Atlus should put P5 on WiiU other than a few nintendo fans thinking wishfully.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

3DS now wow. In that case P5 would be a visual downgrade form P4G lol.

WiiU bombing destroys any chance of Persona coming to the system.

There has been no so far suggestions why Atlus should put P5 on WiiU other than a few nintendo fans thinking wishfully.

Yeah, no suggestions so far... Except as I said, Nintendo and Atlus getting closer.
Also, 3DS is also a likely candidate. Visual downgrade ? Lol you make it like SMT games have been visual beasts.

zeopower6

But considering how close Atlus and Nintendo are getting, with SMT IV on 3DS or SMT x FE on Wii U... I'd say we could be surprised.

Is that really surprising? SMT/SMT-spinoff games have been on Nintendo systems only for a while now.

Strange Journey (2009)
Devil Survivor (2009 / 2011)
Devil Survivor 2 (2011)
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (2012)
Shin Megami Tensei IV (2013)

And the last one for a Sony platform was Devil Summoner 2 in 2008/2009.

Also, 3DS is also a likely candidate. Visual downgrade ? Lol you make it like SMT games have been visual beasts.

P4G is really gorgeous on the Vita.

Is that really surprising? SMT/SMT-spinoff games have been on Nintendo systems only for a while now.

Strange Journey
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Devil Survivor
Devil Survivor 2
Shin Megami Tensei IV

And the last one for a Sony platform was Devil Summoner 2 in 2008/2009.

Also, Persona 4 Golden is good looking because of it's artstyle and kinda SD characters. Otherwise, it's not something technical you know.

The surprising thing is the cross over thing.
Also Sony is also getting SMT spin off, because Persona IS a spin off.

Whatever the platform, one of them will be a Nintendo platform. I think it's likely that persona will move to 3DS and will be exclusive. WiiU is not out of the question either, Atlus and Nintendo seem to get along together very well these days.

Lol you not only expect Persona to come to but also expect it to be exclusive to a Nintendo platform?

No Persona ever came out on a Nintendo platform, the DS didnot get the Persona ports PSP got and neither did 3DS get P4G so its kinda unrealistic what you're expecting.

Yeah, no suggestions so far... Except as I said, Nintendo and Atlus getting closer.

SMT has always been on Nintendo consoles so thats nothing new.

Lets look at this logically ok.

If Atlus was going to release P5 on a nintendo console they have two choices:

1) 3DS - definitely not going to happen as 3DS could not even handle the Catherine engine.

2) WiiU - it seems the number one reason people think its coming to the WiiU is because of the SMT x FE partnership. This partnership could have been much more relevant if it was something like Persona x FE but Atlus specifically did not include Persona in the partnership. Wonder why? Furthermore, whats the business incentive to put it on WiiU. Persona is most popular in Japan so the PS3 should cover that area. In the West PS3/360 version will cover that base. WiiU is bombing WW, so when Atlus already have all bases covered WW whats the point on putting it on a console that is selling badly?
Also, Persona 4 Golden is good looking because of it's artstyle and kinda SD characters. Otherwise, it's not something technical you know.

The surprising thing is the cross over thing.
Also Sony is also getting SMT spin off, because Persona IS a spin off.

Yes it would be a downgrade.....the 3DS screen resolution alone would make it a downgrade fro Persona 4G.

Persona used to be part of the SMT by title. Thats not the case anymore. Its in the SMT universe but its branched off to form its own series.

I wouldn't say a Vita port is guaranteed, but if it's coming to a PlayStation platform, I'd expect Sony will attempt to moneyhat a Vita port.

SMT has always been on Nintendo consoles so thats nothing new.

Lets look at this logically ok.

If Atlus was going to release P5 on a nintendo console they have two choices:

1) 3DS - definitely not going to happen as 3DS could not even handle the Catherine engine.

2) WiiU - it seems the number one reason people think its coming to the WiiU is because of the SMT x FE partnership. This partnership could have been much more relevant if it was something like Persona x FE but Atlus specifically did not include Persona in the partnership. Wonder why? Furthermore, whats the business incentive to put it on WiiU. Persona is most popular in Japan so the PS3 should cover that area. In the West PS3/360 version will cover that base. WiiU is bombing WW, so when Atlus already have all bases covered WW whats the point on putting it on a console that is selling badly?

How are you so sure it couldn't handle the engine ?
Also, what would avoid Atlus from changing decision and forget Gamebryo Engine to make it sure it comes to 3DS too ?
Also about Wii U, it may be bombing but what aboyt Vita ? It's bombing since 1 year and yet it's still bombing.
And yes, SMT games have been on Nintendo consoles too.
But it's the first time Atlus and Nintendo get that closer and make a game together with two series.

NotLiquid

This partnership could have been much more relevant if it was something like Persona x FE but Atlus specifically did not include Persona in the partnership. Wonder why?

Because combining Persona with Fire Emblem makes no sense. Shin Megami Tensei is at least a reasonable decision.

WiiU is bombing WW, so when Atlus already have all bases covered WW whats the point on putting it on a console that is selling badly?

I dunno, ask the company who put Persona 4 on the Vita.

If Nintendo and Atlus really are getting buddy-buddy with each other and Nintendo wants to solicit a deal for Persona 5 on the Wii U, they can make it happen. Atlus isn't that massive of a company, and Nintendo soliciting deals with Japanese developers is far more likely than anything else. Persona moves units, stands to reason it could belong on the Wii U.

I doubt it'd be exclusive, but it could easily exist as a multiplatform.

How are you so sure it couldn't handle the engine ?
Also, what would avoid Atlus from changing decision and forget Gamebryo Engine to make it sure it comes to 3DS too ?
Also about Wii U, it may be bombing but what aboyt Vita ? It's bombing since 1 year and yet it's still bombing.
And yes, SMT games have been on Nintendo consoles too.
But it's the first time Atlus and Nintendo get that closer and make a game together with two series.

catherine_1252011_02-600x337.jpg

You think 3DS can handle that lol. I doubt the Vita could handle that. I have said before Persona 5 is going to be on a console not handheld.

Yes Atlus are going to forget an engine they have been developing for years so they can develop on a new platform with no pre existing fanbase.

P4G sold 260 000 making it already the second best selling Persona game of all time. I would agree that the Vita would be a poor choice if P4G did not do so well. I still think P5 will be only on consoles though.

A collaboration is not going to make Atlus suddenly forget the financial implications.

I dunno, ask the company who put Persona 4 on the Vita.

If Nintendo and Atlus really are getting buddy-buddy with each other and Nintendo wants to solicit a deal for Persona 5 on the Wii U, they can make it happen. Atlus isn't a big company, and Nintendo soliciting deals with Japanese developers is far more likely than anything else. Persona moves units, stands to reason it could belong on the Wii U.

The thing is the Vita is a Playstation console so they know soem of there base would be there. WiiU is not a Playstation platform and its bombing. The last paragraph is nothing but wishful thinking that Nintendo money hats them. Persona 5 would not move any WiiU units because 90% of sales will be on PS3 as thats where the fanbase is.

Squire

Banned
Vita could handle Catherine slightly down scaled, if not 1;1. 3DS couldn't. You're kidding yourself if you don't think there's a sizable tech gap between the two.

Soriku

I wouldn't say a Vita port is guaranteed, but if it's coming to a PlayStation platform, I'd expect Sony will attempt to moneyhat a Vita port.

People sure expect Sony to moneyhat a lot of things...

Also they're using a new engine they developed for P5, not Gamebryo.

NotLiquid

The thing is the Vita is a Playstation console so they know soem of there base would be there. WiiU is not a Playstation platform and its bombing. The last paragraph is nothing but wishful thinking that Nintendo money hats them. Persona 5 would not move any WiiU units because 90% of sales will be on PS3 as thats where the fanbase is.

I think Japan is the least likely to speak anything of console allegiance honestly. They'll go where the games are, unless there are hard numbers proving otherwise. I don't see how that's me having some wishful thinking.

Squire

Banned
I think Japan is the least likely to speak anything of allegiance honestly. They'll go where the games are, unless there are hard numbers proving otherwise. I don't see how that's me having some wishful thinking.

I know you didn't mention them specifically, but Persona is not FF, or DQ, or MonHun. It's a fairly successful but still quite niche series that is lucky to sell what it does to a fandom that is very untuned with it and specific about what it wants out of it. They're not a flock of consumer sheep to be herded from platform to platform at will.

The fandom is expecting it will be on Somy hardware of some sort. For Atlus to rock the boat would be a considerable risk.

Mario007

Didn't P4G have one of the highest units sold in Japan for a Persona game or something like that? If so I see no reason why they should move away from the Vita, the audience is either there or is willing to buy a Vita for a Persona game. Add to that that the Vita is meant to be very easy to develop for.

At any case I remember Atlus being very happy with the sales so I'll say an exclusive P5 has more than 50% chance of happening, a PS3 and Vita combo maybe more than 80%. I could, obviously, be very wrong on both figures though.

Domstercool

because the DS wasn't capable of running PS2 ports. Golden is HD, which leaves out 3DS. this isn't as brand loyalty thing

Whoa, hang on. Persona 4 Golden is not HD. For starters, it is running below native resolution, and theresolution of the vita is qHD, meaning quarter HD, 960×540.

Game's fucking great though. One of my fave RPGs. :)

Sandfox

I don't really get the argument when people say that the Persona/SMT fanbase is already on the PS3 and expect the next game to come out for it when there hasn't been an Atlus RPG released for the system. I expect P5 to be exclusive to the PS3 unless something crazy happens but the SMT fanbase will be there on the 3DS and Wii U when SMT4 and FExSMT(depends on what the game is actually like) come out and the Vita already pulled people in with P4 if they wanted to go that route.

NotLiquid

Seems like people expect Nintendo to moneyhat Atlus for Persona! The idea borders on laughable, honestly.

Nintendo "moneyhatted" Bayonetta. If you went back two years and told me this that would be laughable too wouldn't it?

Try telling me they would be averse doing the same to a high profile franchise of a company that they have a good partnership with.

I know you didn't mention them specifically, but Persona is not FF, or DQ, or MonHun. It's a fairly successful but still quite niche series that is lucky to sell what it does to a fandom that is very untuned with it and specific about what it wants out of it. They're not a flock of consumer sheep to be herded from platform to platform at will.

The fandom is expecting it will be on Somy hardware of some sort. For Atlus to rock the boat would be a considerable risk.

Which is why I never once made the claim that it'd be exclusive. I said there's enough reason to suspect Nintendo and Atlus to strike a deal to make Persona 5 be a thing that happens on a Nintendo console.

The only points of argument I see as reasons they wouldn't do a Persona 5 on Wii U is a) Sony fans expect it to be exclusive, which is a rather fickle subject, and b) Wii U is tanking right now.

Those are arguably good reasons, but chances are Nintendo would literally have to go out of their way if they want to get Persona 5 on the Wii U. As such, they'd probably try to fund that kind of version of it.

I don't really get the argument when people say that the Persona/SMT fanbase is already on the PS3 and expect the next game to come out for it when there hasn't been an Atlus RPG released for the system. I expect P5 to be exclusive to the PS3 unless something crazy happens but the SMT fanbase will be there on the 3DS and Wii U when SMT4 and FExSMT(depends on what the game is actually like) come out and the Vita already pulled people in with P4 if they wanted to go that route.

This too.

Squire

Banned

The argument is not that the Persona/SMT fanbase is on PS3. It's that Persona specifically has only ever been on Somg hardware. And that's not even an argument, it's factual history.

Nintendo "moneyhatted" Bayonetta. If you went back two years and told me this that would be laughable too wouldn't it?

Try telling me they would be averse doing the same to a high profile franchise of a company that they have a good partnership with.

Which is why I never once made the claim that it'd be exclusive. I said there's enough reason to suspect Nintendo and Atlus to strike a deal to make Persona 5 be a thing that happens on a Nintendo console.

The only points of argument I see as reasons they wouldn't do a Persona 5 on Wii U is a) Sony fans expect it to be exclusive, which is a rather fickle subject, and b) Wii U is tanking right now.

Those are arguably good reasons, but chances are Nintendo would literally have to go out of their way if they want to get Persona 5 on the Wii U. As such, they'd probably try to fund that kind of version of it.

Fair enough.

This too.

See my above post.

Most logical thing is: P5 -> PS3 (maybe 360) then a P5G Vita a year later or something.

3DS (and WiiU) is not happening, guys. There is no reason for Atlus to move the Persona franchise there.

NotLiquid

The argument is not that the Persona/SMT fanbase is on PS3. It's that Persona specifically has only ever been on Somg hardware. And that's not even an argument, it's factual history.

Persona 4 Arena.

It's a fighting game by Arc sure, but it's still a Persona 4 sequel that Atlus pursued with just as much story in it as the others.

Persona86

Banned

Try telling me they would be averse doing the same to a high profile franchise of a company that they have a good partnership with..

The thing is Bayonetta 2 was pretty much dead, it would not exist if it wasn't for Nintendo.

Persona is nowhere close to dead, in fact it's getting more and more attention, so they don't need Nintendo's help.

PS3/Xbox 360 or PS4 seems the most likely case, if they do it on WiiU they will do it on PS3 too, no way it's a WiiU exclusive, because like I said there is no reason to do that at all.

Edit: OK I just noticed your not saying it will be exclusive.

Sandfox

Most logical thing is: P5 -> PS3 (maybe 360) then a P5G Vita a year later or something.

3DS (and WiiU) is not happening, guys. There is no reason for Atlus to move the Persona franchise there.
They wouldn't really be moving it.

I know its history but I don't see how that forces some people to think that it has to be PS3 exclusive.

Squire

Banned
Persona 4 Arena.

It's a fighting game by Arc sure, but it's still a Persona 4 sequel that Atlus pursued with just as much story in it as the others.

Well I was going to mention it myself, but once I saw you said Atlus hadn't released an RPG on PS3 specifically I decided not to!

If we're getting technical it counts, absolutely.

I know its history but I don't see how that forces some people to think that it has to be PS3 exclusive.

I don't think many people think it'll be PS3 exclusive. I've said myself I think it'll be on PS3 in addition to either 360 or Vita; some combination of two.

I'm saying it won't be on Nintendo hardware.

because the DS wasn't capable of running PS2 ports. Golden is HD, which leaves out 3DS. this isn't as brand loyalty thing

P1 and P2 were on PS1. PSP got only 1 PS2 port in P3P and it wasn't even the same game as P3. Vita screen is qHD, resolution is not the reason why its absent from 3DS.

Rand6

It's so obvious...
And people expecting a Persona on WiiU and not on PS3?? Really?

serplux

It probably will be PS3 exclusive. Just the facts. But it's not impossible like some people here think it is that Persona 5 could be on a Nintendo platform.

Soriku

The fanbase likely expects the game on a Sony system, and will be there to buy it. That, and the PS3 has a good JRPG fanbase (see Tales sales a good example), so even if Atlus hasn't made any previous RPGs for it, it doesn't matter much.

Oh shit guys I guess Atlus doesn't have the money to make P5 so Nintendo is going to have to step in and help them lol. Poor analogy.

High profile.....Persona is niche. It will sell 200-350 at max. Nintendo spending money to a multiplat version of P5 is bemusing especially when you consider the fact that the majority of software sales will be on PS3 and it will sell hardly any hardware.

Your argument makes even less sense when you take into account that Nintendo is money hatting for a multiplat.

Your only reason why such a deal is struck is because of SMTxFE and that is nearly not enough reason. Nintendo have done similar collaborations in the past and have still failed to get multiplatform titles form their co-operator. For instance other M which was helped by Team Ninja yet Nintendo did not get Dead or Alive 5 or Ninja gaiden Z.

The only points of argument I see as reasons they wouldn't do a Persona 5 on Wii U is a) Persona fans expect it to be exclusive, which is a rather fickle subject, and b) Wii U is tanking right now.

Fixed.

So whats your rebuttal for b) huh? After all its probably one of the biggest reasons why its not coming for WiiU.

The fact that you think Nintendo will go out of there way to money hat a multiplat of a game that sells 200-350k when the majority of software sales will be on another platform and will sell very little hardware.

If thats not wishful thinking I don't know what is.

It probably will be PS3 exclusive. Just the facts. But it's not impossible like some people here think it is that Persona 5 could be on a Nintendo platform.

Very few things are impossible. Its not impossible for MH to make its way to Vita but its laughable to think so.

luca1980

Banned
Don't understand why persona v is taking so much time to be announced.
An playstation 4 not supporting ps3 games automatically is strange for a persona v release on ps3 IMHO

resolution is not the reason why its absent from 3DS.
3DS couldnt run it regardless, that's my point.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the rest of your post. Persona 1 being on PlayStation 17 years ago has fuck all to do with Atlus developing games today.
Yeah, totally.

But it's not like you can't do tricks with the 3DS to make it look good. Resident Evil looks great on that system.
id be perfectly fine with P5 on 3DS

Squire

Banned
Psycho_Mantis said:
Oh shit guys I guess Atlus doesn't have the money to make P5 so Nintendo is going to have to step in and help them lol. Poor analogy.

LOL, good point. Shocked I missed that. Bayo 2 is on Wii U because, in PGs own words, it couldn't happen otherwise.

That's not a moneyhat; it's a rescue mission!

AniHawk

Don't understand why persona v is taking so much time to be announced.
An playstation 4 not supporting ps3 games automatically is strange for a persona v release on ps3 IMHO

companies are making cross-gen ports. the same will happen to persona 5. ps3/ps4/psv.

persona 5 not coming to the wii u because the wii u is tanking is a terrible argument. persona 5 has been in development before wii u launch, and if it was being made (i highly doubt it), they wouldn't just cancel it on the back of poor wii u sales. why? because they didn't cancel persona 4 golden on the back of even worse vita sales.

persona 5 will go to the ps3/ps4/psv because that's where the fanbase has always been. similarly, if there was another trauma game ever made, i doubt it'd find its way onto vita, despite the platform being perfectly capable of such a game.

catherine_1252011_02-600x337.jpg

You think 3DS can handle that lol. I doubt the Vita could handle that. I have said before Persona 5 is going to be on a console not handheld.

Yes Atlus are going to forget an engine they have been developing for years so they can develop on a new platform with no pre existing fanbase.

P4G sold 260 000 making it already the second best selling Persona game of all time. I would agree that the Vita would be a poor choice if P4G did not do so well. I still think P5 will be only on consoles though.

A collaboration is not going to make Atlus suddenly forget the financial implications.

You said the engine, not the game as far as I know, that's not the same thing.
Sure 3DS coudln't handle Catherine, but you "could it handle it's engine to make Persona 5 ?"
I'd say it's possible. Also, Catherine is based on Gamebryo Engine IIRC. It's not Atlus engine.

3DS couldnt run it regardless, that's my point.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the rest of your post. Persona 1 being on PlayStation 17 years ago has fuck all to do with Atlus developing games today.

Are you following our conversation? You were saying DS didn't get the Persona games on PSP because it couldn't run PS2 ports. Only P3P was a PS2 port, the rest were PS1 ports. 3DS can run SMT4, why do you think it can't run its own P4G version?

NotLiquid

It really isn't, though. Bayonetta 2 getting shelved had little to do with the undercurrent fact that Nintendo wanted a niche hardcore production on their platform. It was a convenient situation for them.

High profile.....Persona is niche. It will sell 200-350 at max. Nintendo spending money to a multiplat version of P5 is bemusing especially when you consider the fact that the majority of software sales will be on PS3 and it will sell hardly any hardware.

They seemed pretty eager touting their late ports of other games. Why stop now? If they're interested in the franchise and hope to make it evolve on a Nintendo platform alongside it, there's plenty of chance to that and to let it reach new sights and an expanded base.

After all you said it. Persona is a "niche" base after all. Why settle for less?

Your argument makes even less sense when you take into account that Nintendo is money hatting for a multiplat.

You know, go into any other hardware related thread about Wii U faltering right now and you'll see people actively saying Nintendo has to start paying for ports, because it needs more games on it. Why it's such a fickle subject right now when it comes to Japanese games with niche bases I have no clue.

So whats your rebuttal for b) huh? After all its probably one of the biggest reasons why its not coming for WiiU.

You're pretending as if future prospects years from now are non-existent.

By the time Persona 5 comes out (at least a year and a half going by current prospects), we'll reasonably expect the install base to have grown with Nintendo putting out more games, so there will be a bigger audience for it. It's the Ubisoft expectation, "Wii U is going to have to sell more". If prospects are being shot at for the future, there's easily a chance to expect improvement. Not only that but if it was in development prior to the Wii U tanking I don't think they'd pull out now, like Anihawk described it, assuming it actually would be in development for it.

The fact that you think Nintendo will go out of there way to money hat a multiplat of a game that sells 200-350k when the majority of software sales will be on another platform and will sell very little hardware.

I'd like to think of it as imagining a possible scenario based on knowledge at hand instead of writing off something because Wii U is a tragicomedy to them.

Top Bottom