• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the success of Persona 4 on Vita, is Persona 5 on Vita a sure thing?

Are you following our conversation? You were saying DS didn't get the Persona games on PSP because it couldn't run PS2 ports. Only P3P was a PS2 port, the rest were PS1 ports.
those were enhanced SPECIFICALLY for and developed for PSP, dumbing them down and adding dual screen support for DS would take lot of time and effort. And im right, there is no way DS could run a game like P3P (which is a ps2 port, like I was saying).
3DS can run SMT4, why do you think it can't run its own P4G version?
SMT4 is build from the ground up for 3DS. Putting Golden on 3DS isn't a simple port, itd be a shit ton of work. Which comes back to my whole point. If nintendo and sony's handhelds were more similar, there is no reason P3P or Golden wouldn't be on both. Its a matter of cost, time and effort. Youre implying Sony hardware loyalty

Hmmm. At this point, it's pretty much 2 paths.

1. Ps3 (+360 for the west) with possible vita port down the line.

2. Development issues and sales potential leads to it being made on 3ds. Possible for vita version as well.

It really isn't, though. Bayonetta 2 getting shelved had little to do with the undercurrent fact that Nintendo wanted a niche hardcore production on their platform. It was a convenient situation for them.

When was this "fact" spoken by Nintendo?
Your analogy was wrong. The two situations are different saying anything other than that is delving into the hypothetical.

They seemed pretty eager touting their late ports of other games.

PR. Either that or they must be truly ignorant to believe late ports would do anything for the system.

Why stop now? If they're interested in the franchise and hope to make it evolve on a Nintendo platform alongside it, there's plenty of chance to that and to let it reach new sights and an expanded base.

You know thats another interesting thing. I don't think Nintendo have ever shown interest in the Persona series. Its Nintendo fans that do.

Your last part can be said about any third party exclusive. Theres plenty of chance for MH to evolve on the Vita and let it reach new sights and an expanded base.

The problem is Atlus seem satisfied with their sales and if there is any expansion to be done it would be on the existing platform. Why risk it when you can play it safe and reach similar results?

After all you said it. Persona is a "niche" base after all. Why settle for less?

Opportunity cost. They could spend there money in better places that could benefit the WiiU more,

You know, go into any other hardware related thread about Wii U faltering right now and you'll see people actively saying Nintendo has to start paying for ports, because it needs more games on it. Why it's such a fickle subject right now when it comes to Japanese games with niche bases I have no clue.

Well you have just given a prime example of wishful thinking. Those people want Nintendo to pay for ports so they can play those games on a Nintendo console or help the third party situation. Whether Nintendo does or not is entirely different matter.

You're pretending as if future prospects years from now are non-existent.

Are talking about future releases? Persona games take a long time to make and we usually only get one per generation. Whether theres a late port to the WiiU of P5 FES or P6 etc is anybodies guess and relies on how P5 did. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. I hope I understood that part you were saying correctly though.

By the time Persona 5 comes out (at least a year and a half going by current prospects), we'll reasonably expect the install base to have grown with Nintendo putting out more games, so there will be a bigger audience for it. It's the Ubisoft expectation, "Wii U is going to have to sell more". If prospects are being shot at for the future, there's easily a chance to expect improvement.

Yes but as you said its chance hence theres a risk. Some companies like to play it safe and stick to their usual fan base and platform.

I'd like to think of it as imagining a possible scenario based on knowledge at hand instead of writing off something because Wii U is a tragicomedy to them.

I am not trying to write something off. I am just trying to be realistic and that means following the most predictable and likely scenario of P5 not coming to the WiiU.

What? No. Persona 4 would more than likely sell more on other systems, and Atlus knows this.

I think if Atlus wants to stick with handhelds, they'll more than likely go with the 3DS if SMTIV is a big hit.

Domstercool

catherine_1252011_02-600x337.jpg

You think 3DS can handle that lol. I doubt the Vita could handle that. I have said before Persona 5 is going to be on a console not handheld.

I believe that P5 will be a PS3 game.

But to answer the question about Catherine and that engine. It really depends on how it scales to hardware. Capcom's MT engine is amazing at adapting to other pieces of tech, just depends if this is too.

Lagunamov

I'd like that. I wanna see the next persona being a true step forward (graphically too). If Persona 5 is for 3DS we won't see that :( .

I think PS3/Vita is pretty safe bet. Maybe 360 too.

They're not gonna put it exclusively on either of the handhelds. C'mon they released Catherine for HD consoles and that was a success.

NotLiquid

When was this "fact" spoken by Nintendo?
Your analogy was wrong. The two situations are different saying anything other than that is delving into the hypothetical.

There's no point in speaking it out. Nintendo already had a partnership with Platinum when they were doing TW101, and considering Bayonetta 2's situation, it was a perfect opportunity to go the extra mile and get a hardcore IP on there that a lot of people love. Bayonetta is niche so save for public goodwill and hardcore recognition it's not guaranteed to be a system seller apart from hardcore people on GAF for example.

Similarly to Platinum, they're partnering up with Atlus. Out of that there's bound to be some additional goodwill from it.

Your last part can be said about any third party exclusive. Theres plenty of chance for MH to evolve on the Vita and let it reach new sights and an expanded base.

Monster Hunter is said to be under a Nintendo contract. Persona isn't. Is Atlus satisfied with their sales? Probably, but that doesn't mean a publisher should settle for less if they had the chance. That'd be stupid. P3 and P4 came out on the only reasonable console during their time. Persona 5 is coming out at a time where most consoles will mostly be completely unified in terms of just running it the way it was designed.

Opportunity cost. They could spend there money in better places that could benefit the WiiU more,

I could only agree to that if we really knew the innings of what it is Nintendo sees beneficial to their platform. Relations with Japan developers is one of those no doubt however, and since SMT is continuously doing well on Nintendo platforms to the point of Nintendo soliciting a crossover, Atlus' second major franchise would probably be seen to them as a good opportunity.

Are talking about future releases? Persona games take a long time to make and we usually only get one per generation. Whether theres a late port to the WiiU of P5 FES or P6 etc is anybodies guess and relies on how P5 did. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. I hope I understood that part you were saying correctly though.

I'm mostly talking about how whenever Persona 5 does come out, Wii U's install base will feasibly have grown enough to support the game doing largely similar numbers on it like the previous games did on their preceding platforms, because as I understand it and as others have been saying, Persona isn't that much of a super seller. Basically as everyone's expecting, "wait until the Marios and whatevers appear on Wii U and there will be a bigger audience for it".

I agree, there's a risk involved. But in terms of possibility I'd say there's a light sliver of a chance which perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree on. It has no bearings on me wanting it on the platform necessarily. If I had the chance I would probably buy it on the Wii U as a way of supporting that kind of release and show that there's interest on the platform but I've been expecting and waiting for it to happen on the PS3 for some time, and a PS3 exclusive wouldn't be hurting me that's for sure.

jgmo870

Banned
Atlus porting all of the Persona games to Sony's handhelds makes it a sure thing. But since the Vita's audience overlaps with the PS3's, they'll probably do an upgraded port years after it releases.

It'll likely go PS3/PS4 at first, then upgraded Vita port later. 360 is possible for here looking at how Catherine turned out. Wii U and 3DS ain't happening at first. It's a pipe dream. They'd possibly get the upgraded port though, depending on how easy that is.

I don't get this question. It was successful for a vita game but it would've sold much more on any other system. I guess the vita was the logical choice for a PS2 port but for Persona 5 which has to be built from the ground up regardless of platform? No way.

jgmo870

Banned
I don't get this question. It was successful for a vita game but it would've sold much more on any other system. I guess the vita was the logical choice for a PS2 port but for Persona 5 which has to be built from the ground up regardless of platform? No way.

Given what, exactly? If the DS's SMT games and Soul Hackers are anything to go by, no, it wouldn't have done better on the 3DS. If P3P is anything to go by, no, it wouldn't have done any better on the PSP. If Catherine is for the PS360, then it would have done marginally better.

serplux

As long as I get Persona 5 I don't care which platform it's on.

Neo Geo Pocket Color for you then. :p

Given what, exactly? If the DS's SMT games and Soul Hackers are anything to go by, no, it wouldn't have done better on the 3DS. If P3P is anything to go by, no, it wouldn't have done any better on the PSP. If Catherine is for the PS360, then it would have done marginally better.

It probably would've sold well on any platform (and it did quite well on the Vita), considering what it is. That being said, SMT spinoffs aren't the best measurements.

This is like saying Dragon Quest IX wouldn't be a hit on the DS because the previous ones didn't sell as well as DQVIII on PS2.

Remakes and spinoffs never sell as well as the mainline games, and it's unfair to say that it wouldn't be successful on the 3DS because of that.

Given a much bigger user base lol? Do you honestly think P5 will sell the same on vita or 3ds? Chances are all the games you mentioned would've sold even less on vita. And catherine? Seriously?

Remakes and spinoffs never sell as well as the mainline games, and it's unfair to say that it wouldn't be successful on the 3DS because of that.

This one came reaaaaaaally close to doing that, though...

And who knows what 3DS can handle? P4G looks freaking awesome on Vita, but it is a PS2 game at heart. The incoming mass of PS3/Vita games tells me Vita an handle a fair amount of PS3 games without issue. Could the 3DS?

Also, to the person above me:

Bigger user base=/=bigger fanbase for that game on that console/handheld

It's like saying Falcom should just switch over to 3DS entirely because it's got the bigger fanbase, despite mainly going for PC/Sony for years. Move over something wholesale and you'll just piss off your fanbase.

jgmo870

Banned
It probably would've sold well on any platform (and it did quite well on the Vita), considering what it is. That being said, SMT spinoffs aren't the best measurements.

The best measurements would be day and date multiplat releases of Persona games on each console. SMT spinoffs are the closest metric to that.

This is like saying Dragon Quest IX wouldn't be a hit on the DS because the previous ones didn't sell as well as DQVIII on PS2.

So when a port of a spinoff (P4G) sells better than a new mainline game (SMTIV), will you recant this?

And saying that it would be more successful on the 3DS than on other platforms is a baseless claim, then, because this is the closest metric there is.

Given a much bigger user base lol? Do you honestly think P5 will sell the same on vita or 3ds? Chances are all the games you mentioned would've sold even less on vita. And catherine? Seriously?

Size of a console's install base doesn't matter nearly as much as where the franchises's fanbase is. Which is why Tales games have sold better on the PS3 and why Hatsune Miku has sold much better on the Vita than on the 3DS.

Persona86

Banned
Don't understand why persona v is taking so much time to be announced.
An playstation 4 not supporting ps3 games automatically is strange for a persona v release on ps3 IMHO

Persona 4 came out on Playstation 2 AFTER Playstation 3 released. So it wouldn't be surprising if something similar happens again.

serplux

The best measurements would be day and date multiplat releases of Persona games on each console. SMT spinoffs are the closest metric to that.

I'd wait for SMT IV to get a pretty good idea of what a Persona game could sell (even then, Persona's a bigger franchise than SMT). SMT spinoffs would've been pretty small on any platform.

So when a port of a spinoff (P4G) sells better than a new mainline game (SMTIV), will you recant this?

No, since Persona is more popular than the mainline SMT series, so it outselling SMTIV wouldn't be all that surprising.

That said, SMTIV will more than likely outsell the fairly low sales numbers of Persona 4 Golden.

Persona86

Banned
I'd like that. I wanna see the next persona being a true step forward (graphically too). If Persona 5 is for 3DS we won't see that :( .

Don't worry they said that the engine for Catherine wasn't good enough for their vision, so I don't think their vision will work on weak 3DS hardware.

They also said to expect big changes similar to how P3 made big changes to the series by adding Social Links.

So all signs are pointing towards the series moving forward, not backwards, I'm excited.

Don't worry they said that the engine for Catherine wasn't good enough for their vision, so I don't think their vision will work on weak 3DS hardware.

They also said to expect big changes similar to how P3 made big changes to the series by adding Social Links.

So all signs are pointing towards the series moving forward, not backwards, I'm excited.

Ugh, Social Links destroyed the entire series for me. I absolutely adore Persona 1 and 2ES/IS, but the social aspects of Persona 3 and 4 ruined the whole series for me. I hate that shit.

Persona86

Banned
I hope not I want P5 to be on a home console, PS4 would be nice.

Some people will say graphics are not important, well I disagree, I've been waiting YEARS to see SMT/Persona game with the world, characters, demons etc in full HD graphics. Persona 5 will be the first.

It's about time! :)

Catherine definitely gave us a taste of what's to come, and I'm grateful for that, it was an unique experience.

jgmo870

Banned
I'd wait for SMT IV to get a pretty good idea of what a Persona game could sell (even then, Persona's a bigger franchise than SMT). SMT spinoffs would've been pretty small on any platform.

It should do a good deal better than Strange Journey but still, even if it gets to Nocturne numbers, there's no reason to think a Persona game would do better on the 3DS than on the Vita.

No, since Persona is more popular than the mainline SMT series, so it outselling SMTIV wouldn't be all that surprising.

Meaning you're fine with contradicting yourself.

That said, SMTIV will more than likely outsell the fairly low sales numbers of Persona 4 Golden.

From when it released to some time in October, it sold 260,000 copies. Let's see, then. It's not like any of Atlus' previous SMT games on Nintendo handhelds sold nearly as well.

CronoShot

I think PS3/360/Vita is almost a sure thing.

Maybe Wii U, but...well, you know.

If the 3DS gets anything, it'll be a spinoff.

What I am hoping for is due the Persona 3 movie, they re-re-release P3 on the Vita with updated system like P4G :p but of course after Persona 5.

serplux

It should do a good deal better than Strange Journey but still, even if it gets to Nocturne numbers, there's no reason to think a Persona game would do better on the 3DS than on the Vita.

Best solution is probably to try a remake of a Persona game on the 3DS and see how it does (although all of the games have already been remade...). You don't know if you don't try. :p

those were enhanced SPECIFICALLY for and developed for PSP, dumbing them down and adding dual screen support for DS would take lot of time and effort.

And...? They weren't specifically developed for DS, how does that refute anything what I have said? They didnot need to be dumbed down, they are PS1 games. The DS didn't get those games, wether it cost too much time and effort to bring them over is not the point. The point is that the time and effort were taken to release them on the PSP.

SMT4 is build from the ground up for 3DS. Putting Golden on 3DS isn't a simple port, itd be a shit ton of work

So was it shit ton of work to bring P4 over to Vita.

Meaning you're fine with contradicting yourself.

From when it released to some time in October, it sold 260,000 copies. Let's see, then. It's not like any of Atlus' previous SMT games on Nintendo handhelds sold nearly as well.

Again, small spinoffs versus mainline games. Not fair to compare.

You're also forgetting that the 3DS in Japan has 10 times the install base of the Vita. That alone should be big enough reason to think it would do better on the 3DS.

It's also similar to when people said that Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest would fail on Nintendo handhelds because their "audiences" were on Sony systems. That turned upside down pretty quick.

bakedpony

There's ZERO chance Persona 5 will be a PS4 title. If it will be on consoles, it will be on PS3 for sure.

I am even expecting that P5 will not be the only game they'll use for the P5 engine. Expect them to have more games for it. Atlus doesn't care if next gen has started. Hell Raidou 2 came out in 2009!!!!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
110% chance that P5 is released on PS3. Probably a 60/40 chance on 360, if they don't (in Japan at least), then there will likely be a port of it for territories outside Japan.

Basically what I'm saying is there is a very very very small chance this ends up on anything other than the PS3/360.

Though I do suspect it will get some sort of enhanced port on portables.

Flamfas

I wouldn't be surprised to see P5 as PS3/Vita at launch. Would be cool and I'd probably buy both versions.

But idk, I have a lurking feeling that a 3DS betrayalton might happen. Atlus is in love with the system and this game seems to be taking forever; maybe they switched consoles?

I could see it going either way.

Road

Well in Japan it was the second best selling Persona title of all time despite not being a mainline title. Not sure about WW though.

You mean 4th?

{1996-09-20} [PS1] Persona (Atlus) - 391,556
{2008-07-10} [PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus) - 294,214
{1999-06-24} [PS1] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) - 274,798
{2012-06-14} [PSV] Persona 4 Golden (Atlus) - 233,523
{2006-07-13} [PS2] Persona 3 (Atlus) - 210,319

I expect Persona 5 to be on PS3.

That is all I feel even moderately sure of, but there are no announcements and it isn't like Atlas hasn't made games for a series previously exclusive to one platform exclusive to another (see: Nocturne). I feel pretty sure we'll see a 360 version, considering every HD game Atlus has been involved with has been PS3/360.

Atlus, unlike most of GAF, doesn't have anything against Nintendo. They have a fanbase on Nintendo hardware and, it seems to me, must have a pretty good relationship with N right now to be given the greenlight to develop SMTxFE. If the game multiplats to a third system, my guess would be Wii U.

Vita, maybe sometime later. Sony has no issue admitting the Vita is weaker than a PS3, I have no idea why Vita fans can't back off the idea. I, like many others, want to see a beautiful HD Persona. I want to see the series move forward in every way, including in presentation. Hopefully we won't be seeing a Vita multiplat because it WILL hold it back. The fact that Vita can play a port of every previous Persona game (except Arena, the only HD one) in no way guarantees or even suggests Vita being a multiplat console for it.

But literally all of this is speculation. Every single post. No one can guarantee shit, let's everyone just simmer down with the absolutes.

FLAguy954

Most likely looking at a 3DS/PS Vita combination judging by the recent slew of Shin Megami games on the 3DS and of course the existence of Persona 4 on the Vita. Also sprinkle in some hope for a Wii U version if they want to go the HD route.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You mean 4th?

Are these the most updated numbers? Just doing my own research, back in October Atlus said that P4G had sold 260,000 in Japan. For all we know, P4G might be the 2nd best selling Persona title. We need updated numbers.

Index Corporation reported sales numbers for Persona 4: Golden and the PlayStation Vita port sold 260,000 units in Japan since it was released on June 14.

those were enhanced SPECIFICALLY for and developed for PSP, dumbing them down and adding dual screen support for DS would take lot of time and effort. And im right, there is no way DS could run a game like P3P (which is a ps2 port, like I was saying).SMT4 is build from the ground up for 3DS. Putting Golden on 3DS isn't a simple port, itd be a shit ton of work. Which comes back to my whole point. If nintendo and sony's handhelds were more similar, there is no reason P3P or Golden wouldn't be on both. Its a matter of cost, time and effort. Youre implying Sony hardware loyalty

Why didn't P1 or P2 come to DS? Why didn't P3 or P4 come to Wii?

Road

Are these the most updated numbers? Just doing my own research, back in October Atlus said that P4G had sold 260,000 in Japan. For all we know, P4G might be the 2nd best selling Persona title. We need updated numbers.

Index Corporation reported sales numbers for Persona 4: Golden and the PlayStation Vita port sold 260,000 units in Japan since it was released on June 14.

The 260k figure is shipped (and most likely include copies shipped to other East Asia countries, as well as digital copies).

The number I posted are physical copies sold to consumers in Japan only (according to Famitsu); The P4G one is from February.

It's also similar to when people said that Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest would fail on Nintendo handhelds because their "audiences" were on Sony systems. That turned upside down pretty quick.

Whoever said this mystical thing is likely insane. Who on earth said this?

Also, as much as I like Persona/SMT, they are most certainly on the level of those franchises. A more apt comparison, again, would be to Falcom games.

Domstercool

You mean 4th?

Where is Persona 2: Eternal Punishment? Surely it didn't sell badly? o_O

Jinko

There's ZERO chance Persona 5 will be a PS4 title. If it will be on consoles, it will be on PS3 for sure.

I am even expecting that P5 will not be the only game they'll use for the P5 engine. Expect them to have more games for it. Atlus doesn't care if next gen has started. Hell Raidou 2 came out in 2009!!!!

You are probably right, just like Persona 4 they will release it when everyone has moved on to next gen and sold their PS3's /sigh

Top Bottom