• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the success of Persona 4 on Vita, is Persona 5 on Vita a sure thing?

Soriku

I'd guessed that P4A made it to the 360 because fighters in Japan tend to be released on that console with very few being PS3-exclusive. Not sure about their reasoning for putting Catherine on it though...

I read it in an article not too long ago. Atlus puts games on the 360 for the Western market.

Thoraxes

I would say maybe, but I highly doubt ATLUS would move the entire franchise to a handheld.

Persona doesn't seem like it would main that area despite the much later ports it got of the other games. If anything, they'd probably put it on PS3 in about 2-3 years from now... So PS4 owners would have to buy a PS3 to play it if they didn't have one :lol

Domstercool

I'd guessed that P4A made it to the 360 because fighters in Japan tend to be released on that console with very few being PS3-exclusive. Not sure about their reasoning for putting Catherine on it though...

Very odd exceptions imo. Plus the Xbox brand has only been around for a handful of FF releases (X, XI, XII, XIII/-2).

Indeed, so if this happened, wouldn't it also be an odd exception?

Catherine was a very Japanese game, yet they felt to release it 360. So the more popular Persona 5 has a chance it will be on 360 too, get more people interested in it who might not have played the series.

Soriku

I would say maybe, but I highly doubt ATLUS would move the entire franchise to a handheld.

Persona doesn't seem like it would main that area despite the much later ports it got of the other games. If anything, they'd probably put it on PS3 in about 2-3 years from now... So PS4 owners would have to buy a PS3 to play it if they didn't have one :lol

They started working on it since 2010. Don't see why it should take longer than 2014 to come out.

Oh I certainly don't think it would be a handheld exclusive. They'd be better of releasing Vita and PS3 together so they can do a cross-play feature to create a ton of double dippers.

Domstercool

They started working on it since 2010. Don't see why it should take longer than 2014 to come out.

They will do some crazy stuff, surprise and that Persona 5 is like Persona 2, two games around the same title name. One follows SEES, one follows the investigation team. :)

The 1 reason a Wii U version is possible is because it would be the closest thing to a full-scale console Pokemon game that Nintendo fans have been asking for decades.

Squire

Banned
There was no presence of Final Fantasy on Xbox, then it got 11 and 13.

You can't just say no, because the video game world no longer works like that, lol.

FF had something to gain from going multiplatform: Growing the audience.

You could try to say it would be the same for Atlus, but as I said above, Atlus isn't on the scale of a company like Square. They have to consider what they port to very carefully because the company's bandwidth is limited. They have to ask themselves whether expanding the audience to any platform is sorth the effort it takes to do so.

P4A and Catherine came to 360 most likely because of the console's solid positioning in the West. Wii U is on life support globally.

Artemisia

Banned
Persona 5 on 3DS

It's happening yall

i7vpiehJZjit6.gif

zeopower6

Indeed, so if this happened, wouldn't it also be an odd exception?

Yes, it would be. (just as it would be if any other previously 'exclusive' titles were to be on another system) However, I just don't think there's any likelihood at all of the game also being on the 360. There's probably a teeny tiny chance there but you could say the same for the Wii U.

Multi-disk 360 version, please no...

Thoraxes

Oh I certainly don't think it would be a handheld exclusive. They'd be better of releasing Vita and PS3 together so they can do a cross-play feature to create a ton of double dippers.

I forgot to mention that but yeah. If anything I can see them doing a cross-plat, but given how much their later remakes sell, they may look into just porting it down the line too for another P3P/Golden type money-making dealio.

Depending on their ambitions and still relative newness to HD consoles, 4 years seems like a pretty acceptable amount of time to me.

Persona 5 on 3DS

It's happening yall

If that original list from 3DS second E3 happens to be true...

It seems more that mainline SMT is with Nintendo while Persona is with Sony, though they haven't made a brand new Persona game since the PS2...

Domstercool

Yes, it would be. (just as it would be if any other previously 'exclusive' titles were to be on another system) However, I just don't think there's any likelihood at all of the game also being on the 360. There's probably a teeny tiny chance there but you could say the same for the Wii U.

Swap disc per month!!! :D

The 1 reason a Wii U version is possible is because it would be the closest thing to a full-scale console Pokemon game that Nintendo fans have been asking for decades.

The only way its possible depends on atlus's engine tech and what engine they use for this and if its the same as what they use for feXsmt

I'm betting PS3 for sure, still not sure about 360 though.

And I think people would buy Vitas if everything was cheaper, which it will be eventually, so I'm betting a port will come later. I doubt it'll come to the 3DS, it probably doesn't have enough power to actually run the game.

I'm really hoping Persona 5 will have PvP. I don't want multipayer to ruin the single player, but a 4v4 battle system would be cool. You'd have to use only your Personas from single player and every team member is a real person. It could make for a great strategy game and add more incentive for grinding/ multiple plauthroughs.

zeopower6

If that original list from 3DS second E3 happens to be true...

It seems more that mainline SMT is with Nintendo while Persona is with Sony, though they haven't made a brand new Persona game since the PS2...

Almost 3 years since then... is that one of the only titles from that list to not come out yet?

Eh, who knows at this point... but PS3 seems to be most likely. An HD Persona on the PS3 would just be... wow. *_*

Squire

Banned

Well, they're doing more than your typical eight hour game release though.

They built an engine, which can of course be time consuming. Especially if they started from scratch.

Games typically spend about a year in pre-production which is just talking and planning and art; nailing down a vision and major goals. For a game as typically lengthy and as full of content as Persona, I could see them easily eclipsing that typical time.

Then there's the fact EP and P3 are seperated by six years. New engine, new platform; they're in that situation again.

I don't think it's releasing any later than 2014. But it's definitely not a quick production.

I could understand if you said "slim chance", but no likelihood at all is like arguing against history. Catherine and P4A have sold to expectation. It might not be huge, but some contingency of the fanbase is on 360. It's not the same situation as Wii U, since that system has no games to speak of.

It also wouldn't be multi-disk on 360. The games aren't anywhere near as resource intensive for that to occurr. So much asset recycling is going on it'd make your head spin.

ksamedi

Whatever the platform, one of them will be a Nintendo platform. I think it's likely that persona will move to 3DS and will be exclusive. WiiU is not out of the question either, Atlus and Nintendo seem to get along together very well these days.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only thing certain at this point is that there will be a tie in anime. I could see basically any platform for the device fitting, though obviously not all at once.

Soriku

Well, they're doing more than your typical eight hour game release though.

They built an engine, which can of course be time consuming. Especially if they started from scratch.

Games typically spend about a year in pre-production which is just talking and planning and art; nailing down a vision and major goals. For a game as typically lengthy and as full of content as Persona, I could see them easily eclipsing that typical time.

Then there's the fact EP and P3 are seperated by six years. New engine, new platform; they're in that situation again.

I don't think it's releasing any later than 2014. But it's definitely not a quick production.

Honestly I don't think length matters all that much. Only because there are games that are only a couple hours long that are in production for years, and RPGs that are in production for the same amount of time or less...

They said they were working on it since March 2010. Early 2010-sometime 2014 gives them at least 4 years to work on it. Personally I think a 2014 release is likely.

Also there was a big gap between EP and P3, but...Persona is more popular now and I think they'll be making an effort to shorten that gap. SMT4 is coming out this year, 10 years after Nocturne haha :x

Whatever the platform, one of them will be a Nintendo platform. I think it's likely that persona will move to 3DS and will be exclusive. WiiU is not out of the question either, Atlus and Nintendo seem to get along together very well these days.

No. It's not. The Persona team made Catherine to make something different and to gain HD experience before they work on a big RPG like Persona 5, and they also made a new engine for P5. It's not going to be on the 3DS.

Fezan

I think Persona is definitely a system seller to some extent and Sony should money hat atlus to keep this series exclusive to vita

Squire

Banned

LOL, I don't know if you didn't read the thread or did and just decided to ignore all the logic-based arguments, which are backed up with evidence completely to the contrary, but suit yourself! :b

It might not be huge, but some contingency of the fanbase is on 360. It's not the same situation as Wii U, since that system has no games to speak of.

So I guess the game Atlus is collaborating on for the Wii U doesn't count? :/

Hoo-doo

Banned

Right, ditching the enormous Persona fanbase on Playstation consoles in the process. I don't think that's ever happening.

Squire

Banned
Seems to me it would be far more successfull on the 3DS, in pretty much every territory. Heh, maybe that might even be possible since Nintendo must be more chummy chummy with Atlus considering SMT x FE.

Atlus is has been on great terms with Nintendo for quite a while. Just look at SMT4, Soul Hackers, and a ton of games before that!

Still didn't stop Atlus from putting P4G on Vita, despite 3DS being the better prospect. Funny, that.

So I guess the game Atlus is collaborating on for the Wii U doesn't count? :/

It doesn't. I'm sure SMT x FE will be wonderful, but it's ostensibly another SMT game which in recent history is a series that's been on Nintendo handhelds exclusively.

Persona is not SMT and has been on Sony hardware exclusively from it's very start.

zeopower6

Seems to me it would be far more successfull on the 3DS, in pretty much every territory. Heh, maybe that might even be possible since Nintendo must be more chummy chummy with Atlus considering SMT x FE.

Keep in mind that the last Shin Megami Tensei game (that wasn't Persona) to be on a Sony system was released about 5 years ago. Since then, it's been mostly DS/3DS for SMT.

Persona 5 will be on the PS3, they've been working on it for a while now, we don't know the console yet but I'm pretty certain of it considering it's more of a Sony franchise.

If it MAGCIALLY came out for the 3DS/Vita/SuperNintendo I wouldn't even care and buy it a million times

Domstercool

Atlus is has been on great terms with Nintendo for quite a while. Just look at SMT4, Soul Hackers, and a ton of games before that!

Still didn't stop Atlus from putting P4G on Vita, despite 3DS being the better prospect. Funny, that.

Well, taking the release of the game, which was June 2012, about 6-7 months after the launch. It's safe to assume that Atlus thought the Vita was going to be more successful that it was. They would have already started development on the title before the 3DS suddenly became a beast with Monster Hunter.

This sounds familiar.

I don't suppose the words, "Monster Hunter" mean anything to you?

And notice that Nintendo snatched that right up before a single game was released on the Vita? That isn't the case with Persona. And the new Persona has been in development years before Golden was even released.

zeopower6

This sounds familiar.

Well... they did have that Wii version (that was originally meant to be on the PS3) which eventually was remade on the 3DS and Wii U, so it's not as though that came out of nowhere compared to Persona which in its RPG-form has only been on Sony systems and PC for the first game.

Domstercool

Persona is not SMT and has been on Sony hardware exclusively from it's very start.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4?

It's spin off, same as Soul Hackers and Devil Survivor, etc. SMT itself is the only real SMT.

Squire

Banned
Well, taking the release of the game, which was June 2012, about 6-7 months after the launch. It's safe to assume that Atlus thought the Vita was going to be more successful that it was. They would have already started development on the title before the 3DS suddenly became a beast with Monster Hunter.

Fair point!

This sounds familiar.

Persona isn't Monster Hunter.

It'll never sell like Monster Hunter.

It isn't worth moneyhatting.

It's spin off, same as Soul Hackers and Devil Survivor, etc. SMT itself is the only real SMT.

Actually, no. Atlus USA did that for brand recognition, but Persona never has carried the SMT title in Japan and as you can see with Golden and Arena, Atlus USA has stopped doing that. Persona and SMT are both branched out from the great Megami Tensei series. They are seperate.

zeopower6

Fun fact...

Persona doesn't have the SMT prefix in Japan, I believe. (but it does in North America) It's just known as "Persona" in Japan.

Also about sales... it probably won't ever move as many copies as Monster Hunter, but it has just as much brand power imo.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It's also worth mentioning that Sony may or may not have some sort of investment in the franchise.

may be irrelevant though please don't hurt me duckroll

serplux

Yup, Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei, Devil Summoner, and Radiant Historia have all been exclusively on Nintendo handhelds. Can't complain about the support.

Eh, I don't know how well a Persona game would sell on the 3DS, so I can't really say, since the Persona fanbase is accustomed to Sony consoles. I'd like to see them try something Persona related on the 3DS sometime though.

Just bought P3P today after playing P4G for some time now, so I would love it on the Vita. Whatever platform is fine, as long as it comes.

Any rumors of when the game will actually release?

ksamedi

Atlus is a small company, and Persona is a resource heave game. I think a PS3 version might be possible, but we should consider the fact that PS3 is on its way out and we have no formal announcement that P5 will come to the PS3. The Vita is not doing that great in Japan either, so a 3DS version should not be out of the question. Loads of Atlus games have already been moved to 3DS, what makes P5 so different?

Top Bottom