• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Wii-Cafe, is it time for Mario and classic Nintendo franchise to evolve?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Going from immediately identifiable, well-designed cartoon characters to a bunch of Joe Everymans, who wouldn't be able to be picked out of a lineup if they simply took off their jacket or wore a differently-cut shirt, is not what I'd call an evolution.

Michan

Graphics Horse said:
No frames from the Super Mario Bros. Movie yet? :(
super-mario-bros-movie-goomba.jpg

A sneak peak at next-gen Mario?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I would like to see Nintendo make a new franchise. Stop using Mario and Zelda, etc for every game (still use them, but slow it down) and make a brand new Nintendo franchise.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Raging Spaniard said:
Evolved?

Okay, so if you're 38 everything needs to be photoreal and serious, wow.

Your opinion makes me angry, thats the politest thing I can say.
I respect you a lot, Spaniard, because I couldn't be so polite.

BDGAME

Mature Mario? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If Nintendo want to create a new franchise with a more mature character, ok, but PLEASE NEVER, I say, NEVER make a stupid mistake like try to make Mario or Zelda something "mature teenager I wanna be!"

Btw Mario Galaxy is one of the best games of this gen. Only people with bad taste don't like it.

The problem with your examples of Insomniac & Naughty Dog is that they moved onto to other franchises/characters, they didn't really change what they already made (With exception of that Jak nonsense) Sly Cooper didn't all of a sudden get all gritty and adult.

FoneBone

beast786 said:
I saw someone sketch possible of evolution:
Mortinkoopa.jpg

MatureMarioPt1.jpg

Sniff.jpg

I know mario has legs and games have been amazing. But I have evolve and if Nintendo does not, than I wont be there.
Ahahahahahaha please tell me you're kidding. That's not to say that Mario shouldn't continue to evolve, but it should never ever be a "mature" series.

Also please tell me you're 13 and not actually 38.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question, there may be some, but what was the last new character Nintendo created? What was their last new IP? (outside of Wii Music, etc).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Deadly Cyclone said:
Question, there may be some, but what was the last new character Nintendo created? What was their last new IP? (outside of Wii Music, etc).
Captain Rainbow? Xenoblade?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Deadly Cyclone said:
Assuming you mean consoles:

Internally, I think it was Pikmin.

Externally, we have quite a few like Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Steel Diver is the newest release Nintendo IP, though it was technically a DS demo, and isn't all that fleshed out.

RealMeat

Banned
Galaxy was a great evolution of the series. I hope the next Mario game takes the series in a similarly unexpected direction. "Mature" Mario would be about the worst thing they could do. Could be interesting to see Nintendo try their hand at a more mature game with a new IP, though.

The entire "I'm __ years old and can't enjoy this anymore" thing really grinds my gears. Always makes me sad.

As some have already said, Nintendo doesn't need to change anything as far as their existing franchises go, they do a good job evolving them. New IPs and better third party support to fill holes in their libraries would be fine.

Instro

Deadly Cyclone said:

XenoBlade and that Pandoras Tower game would be their most recent core new IP. Last new mascot character I dunno Captain Olimar/Pikmin.

If your talking strictly internally, most of their new IPs were related to the Wii ____ series. Theres a bunch of new IPs on the DS from Nintendo though.

thefro

Nirolak said:

Externally, we have quite a few like Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

Monolith Soft = Nintendo 1st party since 2007.

Gino

For the record I'd jump off a cliff if the next Zelda looks like Darksiders like a bunch of douche's seem to want.

Gino said:
For the record I'd jump off a cliff if the next Zelda looks like Darksiders like a bunch of douche's seem to want.

Seriously, Darksiders looks like if Zelda was designed by 13 year olds.

boyshine

Nintendo must forever be the corner stone among game developers for games that are for kids (of all ages). If Nintendo (d)evolves as OP suggests, who will make quality games for new generations of gamers. If it's nothing but Hello Kitty, Bakugan and Dreamworks/Pixar movie - the game, then this industry just died. No, Nintendo must continue doing what they've always done. Great games for EVERYONE. If some of you feel you've outgrown Nintendo games, then fine - play something else. Nintendo's position as the premier developer of kids games are much more important than them catering to aging fanboys.

M3d10n

So much fail. Or joke thread? The OP shows completely new franchises which are entirely unrelated to the previous ones as examples of "evolution", and proceeds to suggest "realistic gritty" Mario?

And on top of that, the OP makes a grave confusion between developers (Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog) and publishers (Nintendo).

Alex Dee

Neo Member
Evolution should not imply making a franchise 'darker' or 'grittier' as the OP seems to imply. Hell, I view The Wind Waker as a fantastic evolution of the Zelda style and it did quite the opposite.

Besides, guns and blood really don't make games mature at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Nirolak said:

Ah, thanks, not to be ignorant, but I wasn't sure if those were third party published by Nintendo.

I just feel as if there has not been a Nintendo game/character on the level of Link, Mario, etc for a long time.

Maybe it's just me. :p

Gino said:

Zelda should never be an M-rated franchise, but I wouldn't mind seeing a talented Western developer's take on the series (such as Retro's cancelled Sheik game).

Cipherr

Joe Shlabotnik said:
This is what your taste has "matured" into, at 38 years old? Really? Really?

I'm 34. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are my games of the generation.

Guns, guns, and facial hair, guns facial hair or 5 o'clock shadows.....thats the stuff.

Some serious arrested development going on...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
thefro said:
Monolith Soft = Nintendo 1st party since 2007.
That's strange that they could be considered such when they've published 2 games through Banpresto and 1 through Bandai since then.

I was always under the impression that '1st party' meant that the parent company is THE publisher for that dev, no outside work allowed.

thetrin

Deadly Cyclone said:
Ah, thanks, not to be ignorant, but I wasn't sure if those were third party published by Nintendo.

I just feel as if there has not been a Nintendo game/character on the level of Link, Mario, etc for a long time.

You're not entirely wrong. All of its internal studios have been busy on Wii oriented games, so all its new IPs are coming from acquired companies like MLSI.

Cipherr said:
Guns, guns, and facial hair, guns facial hair or 5 o'clock shadows.....thats the stuff.

Some serious arrested development going on...

also titties and swearing.

fuck it Nintendo should go full Beyblade with Mario. more violence, swearing, and partial nudity!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Noooooooooooo.

Galaxy was the perfect balance of old and new. I welcome "evolution" in that respect, but mature Mario is a terrible idea.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Deadly Cyclone said:

Oh no, even Sakurai was making a point out of this when reflecting upon Brawl, so you're definitely not the only one.

Ulairi

Banned
Nirolak said:
Hmm, I guess I was considering them semi-first party since Namco still owns 20% of them.

A 20% ownership gives Namco nothing when it comes to the company. That's a full first party.

SmithnCo

This has to be a joke... Gritty and dark does not equal better. If Nintendo does this with Mario, then we are doomed.

A new IP maybe could go this route, but don't shit up established IPS with this.

Mik2121

I'd expect them to try to go for a more Pixar-ish look. Like, clean high quality stuff. Maybe with not that many awesome shaders and shit, but something... yeah, clean.

Ulairi said:
A 20% ownership gives Namco nothing when it comes to the company. That's a full first party.

it gives them the ability to fuck MS on the side when MS is bedding with Nintendo. see Endless Frontier

beast786

M3d10n said:
So much fail. Or joke thread? The OP shows completely new franchises which are entirely unrelated to the previous ones as examples of "evolution", and proceeds to suggest "realistic gritty" Mario?

And on top of that, the OP makes a grave confusion between developers (Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog) and publishers (Nintendo).

What is so funny?

The studios are 1st party owned by publisher Sony or Nintendo. Publisher are the ones who say yes or no.

Wii2 is not going to be the same price point as Wii. If these franchise wont evolve or Nintendo start a new IP.

Please dont take this personally. But, as the gaming age evolves , Nintendo has to keep up with it.

I have no problem with mario. But Nintendo has to widen its spectrum.

mj1108

Raging Spaniard said:
Evolved?

Okay, so if you're 38 everything needs to be photoreal and serious, wow.

Your opinion makes me angry, thats the politest thing I can say.

He's the definition of what is wrong with gaming nowadays.

FoneBone

beast786 said:
What is so funny?

The studios are 1st party owned by publisher Sony or Nintendo. Publisher are the ones who say yes or no.

Wii2 is not going to be the same price point as Wii. If these franchise wont evolve or Nintendo start a new IP.

Please dont take this personally. But, as the gaming age evolves , Nintendo has to keep up with it.

I have no problem with mario. But Nintendo has to widen its spectrum.
Arguing this is one thing, arguing that the Mario series itself should become "mature" is quite another.

beast786

SmithnCo said:
This has to be a joke... Gritty and dark does not equal better. If Nintendo does this with Mario, then we are doomed.

A new IP maybe could go this route, but don't shit up established IPS with this.

Did I say Better?

This thread is full of insecure posters.

The same people who bash COD and Milking are the ones who are personally pissed if someone ask nintendo to get out of its comfort zone and try some new IP with there new machine.

Top Bottom