• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Wii-Cafe, is it time for Mario and classic Nintendo franchise to evolve?

What would be great is if Nintendo would buy 2 or 3 more Western developers ala Retro, and have them make their mature games. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen if Nintendo is set on winning back the "hardcore."

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Mael said:
We'll take games that play the same in the same series in 2 different series :

Super Mario Bros :

1987 -> 2011
6 differents games

Halo :
2001 -> 2011
5 games

Yeah....wanna try CoD?

Well I mas more talking about all Mario games in which he is the star. You could look at both consoles and handhelds too, basically Mario as a brand.

Mario Bros. (Famicom) - Japan release
Mario's Bombs Away (Game & Watch) - North America and Japan release
Mario's Cement Factory (Game & Watch) - North America and Japan release
Super Mario Bros. (Famicom/NES) - North America and Japan release
Wrecking Crew (Famicom/NES) - North America and Japan release - Mario is the main character.
Mario Bros. II (Commodore 64) - European and North American release
Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - North America release
Super Mario Land (Game Boy) - North America and Japan release
Dr. Mario (NES)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
Mario the Juggler (Game & Watch) - North America and Japan release
Mario Teaches Typing (MS-DOS) - North America release
Super Mario World (SNES) - North America release
Super Mario Bros. & Friends: When I Grow Up (PC) - North America release
Mario Is Missing! (DOS, SNES)
Mario Paint (SNES)
Mario's Time Machine (DOS, SNES)
Super Mario All-Stars (Super Famicom/SNES)
Mario and Wario (SNES/Super Famicon)
Mario's Time Machine (NES) - North America only
Mario's Tennis (Virtual Boy)
Mario Clash (Virtual Boy)
Mario's Picross (Game Boy)
Mario's Picross 2 (Game Boy) - Japan only
Mario's Super Picross (Super Famicom) - Japan only
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super Famicom/SNES)
Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64)
Mario Bros. Deluxe (Game Boy Color)
Mario Golf (Game Boy Color, Nintendo 64) - (Game Boy Color) Japan release
Mario Party (Nintendo 64)
Mario Party 2 (Nintendo 64)
Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube)
Paper Mario (Nintendo 64)
Mario Kart: Double Dash‼
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Game Boy Advance)
New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - November 12, 2007 (USA)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Paper Mario 3DS (3DS)

Yeah, some of these are side games and some are random games, but I haven't even included close to everything he is in (no Donkey Kong, no Yoshi games), my point is how long until Mario hits ultimate market saturation?

I mean, the guy is in an average of 8 games a year across platforms every year since 1983...

I am honestly just curious what you all think, I like the Mario games, and I am not trying to be a dick here. :p

Yes. Mario should become more mature. Life's problems aren't solved by violence which is always a childish response to everything, Mario needs to learn to control his issues and settle his problems through dialogue. In future games, we see Mario gradually accept that Peach will never be his own, and we can play through his journey to apologize to Bowser for being a jerk all of those years and finally in the ending he
calls Pauline to see if she would still be interested in a date.

Things would be much better for our plumber, as the main gameplay involves moving beyond jumping into pipes, but rather building them, and eventually expanding his plumbing business to give more jobs to the Toads as well as developing adult responsibilities and improving coin management to handle more than 99 coins at a time.

I mean, the guy is in an average of 8 games a year across platforms every year since 1983...

I am honestly just curious what you all think, I like the Mario games, and I am not trying to be a dick here. :p

It's just a character. Most of those games aren't even in the same genre.

ace3skoot

Iwatas Magic Sports Coat said:
This was a joke thread right?

anyway, sometime last year Miyamoto was quoted as saying that 2011 will be the year they introduce new IPs and characters. We'll see what they have in store come E3.

I'd die a little if they ever had a mature art style Mario game.

umm link please!!! :D

also:

joke thread is a joke

This is one of the worst ideas I have read here at NeoGAF...

Again... the more I grow up, the more I appreciate games like Super Mario... when I was 18 I had the same thoughts you are having right now... I thought I was too mature to play cartoonish games...

Sadist

Can't you be 38 and like where Mario is now?

What's wrong with the current Mario platform game. I really want to know.

jman2050

The logic of Uncharted and Infamous being evolutions of Sly and Jak makes no sense. You might as well say God of War was an evolution of Spyro.

Not to mention the Uncharted and Infamous series are both far inferior to the games they supposedly evolved from, so there's that

madara

Christ as gamer just as old, shame on you OP!
Isn't there enough mature, realistic, grays, browns, blooming shiny plastic sweating polygon shit out there? How about some high art again. Something that can age and look as beautiful as 16bit sprites? Games use to be moving paintings and its sad how the big guys cant compete with someone as little as VW in that department, even NSMB was hideous. Give me a 2D zelda to make up for the absolute crap that was DS zelda experiments. Throw in 2D metroid as well.

jman2050

Deadly Cyclone said:
Yeah, some of these are side games and some are random games, but I haven't even included close to everything he is in (no Donkey Kong, no Yoshi games), my point is how long until Mario hits ultimate market saturation?

The moment people stop having kids and those kids stop growing up.

Naughty Dog is a good example of using new IPs and a poor example of evolving old ones.

Jak's "evolution" is one met with almost universal disdain.

Fernando Rocker said:
This is one of the worst threads I have read here at NeoGAF...

Again... the more I grow up, the more I appreciate games like Super Mario... when I was 18 I had the same thoughts you are having right now... I thought I was too mature to play cartoonish games...

I remember liking Mortal Kombat when I was in junior high. It was all the rage back then too. Around when I reached 16 or 17, I grew out of Mortal Kombat and started getting into strategy games like Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Sim City, and really started to look back on the 8 Bit and 16 Bit generations with greater appreciation.

Lijik

From The Dust said:
people see that at as the same defense as "I'm not gay, but..." or "I'm not racist, but..." in other words, you are trying too hard to defend your "maturity"
Dude, he's been playing games since Pong. I think he knows a thing or two evolving brands and mature emotional atmospheres like Infamous and Uncharted.

mclem

I suspect what really happened is this:

OP found those handdrawn pictures.
OP found them hilariously ridiculous.
OP decided to bring them to NeoGAF's attention in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
jman2050 said:

The way I figure is that people see Mario as less of a character and more of a symbol, and blank avatar of whom you control.

I think the reason you couldn't see, say, Ezio from Assassin's Creed in upwards of 60 games is that he has too much depth of character.

Maybe I am totally wrong, but it seems to me that the more depth a character has, the faster people get tired of that character.

Rapstah

Lijik said:
Dude, he's been playing games since Pong. I think he knows a thing or two evolving brands and mature emotional atmospheres like Infamous and Uncharted.
He was born a year after Pong released.

I've seen him post before and I think this is actually serious.

beast786

ShockingAlberto said:
Naughty Dog is a good example of using new IPs and a poor example of evolving old ones.

Jak's "evolution" is one met with almost universal disdain.

As stated in OP.

I used mario as an example of how I have been distancing myself from Nintendo. They need a new IP. but, for me to justify Wii2 with a heavy price tag I need to see something different from Nintendo from there IP's.

jman2050

mclem said:

This would be fine as a troll thread, in fact I thought it was one until he started seriously arguing his point! Once you do that all bets are off.

Alrus

From The Dust said:
Super Mario Galaxy's story book

best story in the series. it also cemented Rosalina as a very memorable character

Oh I agree, Rosalina's story was well done and interesting. And it was optional so it didn't get in the way of gameplay. I guess most people ignored it since it's never mentioned.

beast786 said:
As stated in OP.

I used mario as an example of how I have been distancing myself from Nintendo. They need a new IP. but, for me to justify Wii2 with a heavy price tag I need to see something different from Nintendo from there IP's.

But if you don't like their flagship's IPs, why bother. And there's been "tons" of game published by nintendo that aren't Zelda or Mario, but they're usually ignored by everyone.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
jman2050 said:
This is definitely the truth. Brands like Mario and Pokemon are just as strong for my younger sister as they were for me growing up. Hell, at my summer job the single most common brand I see on t-shirts on 6-10 year olds is Mario, weather its Mario Kart or NSMB or whatever.

Mik2121

I don't know why, but I just did this. An idea of how would a Mario star look...

ikIs.png

(This is a real-time shader btw. I didn't apply any textures though, just basic shader settings like color and glow. It's also fairly low-poly for a main item like this.. about 200 polygons (triangles) so it could be even smoother without any problems)

Lijik

Rapstah said:
He was born a year after Pong released.
GAMER FROM WOMB TILL TOMB BABY

He also has every console. Every single one! The Atari Jaguar, the 3DO, a Turbografx-16. He has them all! Its all there in his opening.

You know this guys is for real serious gamer, so he knows what hes talking about.

SykoTech

You really should have used the word "mature" instead of "evolve", dude. They aren't the same thing.

As for Nintendo games suited for your 38 year old self, have you tried Metroid? It's probably the most "mature" franchise Nintendo has. Zelda can be kinda mature sometimes too (Twilight Princess).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh and FYI, my side jaunt about the Mario brand does not mean I condone this crazy OP. I am just curious at how Mario can be in an average of 8 games per year when modern characters could never.

Gino

beast786 said:
As stated in OP.

That one was on purpose wasn't it?

So... Joke thread?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
6 Mario games?
SMB
SMB 2
SMB 3
SMW
YI
SM64
SMS
SMG
SMG2
NSMB
NSMBW

I count 11.

beast786 said:
As stated in OP.

They need a new IP. I hope its even less mature than they have at current. I hope its just a ball of white light.

ace3skoot said:
umm link please!!! :D

also:

joke thread is a joke

Shiggy said:
Also, I'm still full of energy. Recently, I've been doing a lot of things -- continuing to work hard at swimming, for instance, and also having exchanges with school kids, doing such things a serving on a neighborhood youth guidance committee. I think that next year I can probably deliver something new. I'm still active on the development scene, so please look forward to [my output]. It's been nearly 10 years since I made the Pikmin character, so I feel this is the year where I must at long last make a new character. This is as far as I'll answer today.

http://screwattack.com/blogs/mah-blog/Miyamoto-Preparing-New-Character/1#comment_486050

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427400 there was a thread about it here

beast786 said:
As stated in OP.

So don't justify it. No one is asking you to.

You can complain that Nintendo's not for you all you want, but it's like asking when Pixar is going to move past talking objects or animals. Even with one-off exceptions here and there, what they're good at is all-ages entertainment, but all-ages does not mean all-people.

If they don't appeal to you, it may not be a matter of age dictating what you like, but a coincidental change of what you like as you age.

To put it another way:

Hi, I'm ShockingAlberto and the Incredibles is one of my favorite films of all time. I'm nearly 30 and when I'm 40, if I don't enjoy Brad Bird anymore, I feel it will not be because I aged ten years and his work did not. It will probably be because he takes twenty years to make movies.

Lijik

beast786 said:
We have seen Sony and MS evolve there content when they entered into HD.

beast786 said:
The same people who bash COD and Milking are the ones who are personally pissed if someone ask nintendo to get out of its comfort zone and try some new IP with there new machine.

Also I know this is petty, but I refuse to believe you are 38 and consistently making this typo.

.la1n

Mario has lasted as long as it has because every game has been an evolution in gameplay, it always feels fresh. Sometimes they stumble (Sunshine) but for the most part it boils down to one thing: fun. They don't need to make mario mature to still create fresh and fun experiences for the character.

Same goes for Zelda although I would argue I have not seen an evolution in design lately outside of Wind Waker's art style. It's basically Ocarina model recycled.

beast786 said:
As stated in OP.

I used mario as an example of how I have been distancing myself from Nintendo.

I'm going to ask you again (and again) - have you played any of the recent Mario games? You know, the ones that are lauded as the greatest platformers of the generation?

Or will the games only warrant your playtime if they have a imbecilic and superficial layer of supposed "maturity" coated over the top of their perfectly-balanced gameplay?

Mik2121 said:
I don't know why, but I just did this. An idea of how would a Mario star look...

ikIs.png

(This is a real-time shader btw. I didn't apply any textures though, just basic shader settings like color and glow. It's also fairly low-poly for a main item like this.. about 200 polygons (triangles) so it could be even smoother without any problems)

It needs more brown, dirt and scratches... you know, to be mature.

Chaplain

Shiggy said:
I think that next year I can probably deliver something new. I'm still active on the development scene, so please look forward to [my output]. It's been nearly 10 years since I made the Pikmin character, so I feel this is the year where I must at long last make a new character.

I really want to see what Miyamoto & his team creates on Nintendo's HD hardware with the new character. I imagine it will be amazing.

jman2050

Deadly Cyclone said:
The way I figure is that people see Mario as less of a character and more of a symbol, and blank avatar of whom you control.

I think the reason you couldn't see, say, Ezio from Assassin's Creed in upwards of 60 games is that he has too much depth of character.

Maybe I am totally wrong, but it seems to me that the more depth a character has, the faster people get tired of that character.

You know, I think you may be on to something here.

Aside from that, thinking about it, Nintendo is one of the only companies I can think of that has ever actually leveraged their various brands as mascots. Companies are usually trying to sell you the game, Nintendo is selling the characters, and correctly figuring that game sales will follow accordingly.

The only outside company I remember trying to match that was Sega with Sonic, and that worked like a charm. Hell, it STILL works as Sonic games still sell relative truckloads despite almost every game since 1995 being decent at best.

Top Bottom