• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Wii-Cafe, is it time for Mario and classic Nintendo franchise to evolve?

Arnie

beast786 said:
Did I say Better?

This thread is full of insecure posters.

The same people who bash COD and Milking are the ones who are personally pissed if someone ask nintendo to get out of its comfort zone and try some new IP with there new machine.
You didn't say that though. You said should Nintendo turn their current IPs into generic, action shit. What would a Goomba with veins and an M16 really do for Mario?

That doesn't mean to say I don't think Nintendo shouldn't create an IP similar to an Uncharted for example, but those franchises don't tally with Nintendo's message of "fun for all". Do you really need violence and action for a game to be fun? Especially when, as evidence in your OP, we get that from everywhere already.

Ygd95.jpg

hey wait I think I like this one.

beast786

From The Dust said:
considering your argue that realistic and gritty is mature, it doesn't matter what your physical age is. you are childish at heart. and in logic as well

I'm 19 by the way :)

So you are 1/2 my age.

When you will be playing mario for another 19 years, you will understand.

beast786 said:
Did I say that. Dont get defenseive if you been enjoying the same art style and mascot. I did not attack your mascot. If you read the OP, does nintendo need to add new IP because of Wii2 new hardware and price point.

No you didn't say this.

You're trying (and failing) to retcon your own thread.

beast786 said:
So you are 1/2 my age.

Oh. So this is a troll thread, and I fell for it. Shame on me.

jett

D-Member
This is a bad thread and you should feel bad. Also, you didn't through your comparison, at all. Sucker Punch and ND created new IPs.

apana

Why do you guys want Nintendo to create new "hardcore" as in "I'm gonna fuck your shit up" type IPs. If Nintendo creates new IPs it should be the same type of stuff they did in the past, meaning it should be for all ages and focused on gameplay instead of lame stories or violence.

M3d10n

beast786 said:
What is so funny?
That you completely skipped over this point:
The OP shows completely new franchises which are entirely unrelated to the previous ones as examples of "evolution", and proceeds to suggest "realistic gritty" Mario?

InFamous is not the latest entry in the Sly Cooper franchise, and Uncharted doesn't take place in the same universe as Jak. They are new IPs. There would be zero problems if the discussion was about Nintendo coming up with new IPs like those, but instead you proposed Nintendo created a realistic and mature version of Mario, which is impossible outside of the realm of parody.

Fularu

Banned
I don't see an evolution, I see a degradation.

Jak 1's was the best :(

And Sly Cooper is better than random bald dude

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
apana said:
Why do you guys want Nintendo to create new "hardcore" as in "I'm gonna fuck your shit up" type IPs. If Nintendo creates new IPs it should be the same type of stuff they did in the past, meaning it should be for all ages and focussed on gameplay instead of lame stories.

To diversify their portfolio. Nothing wrong in trying something new.

agrajag

Banned
apana said:
Why do you guys want Nintendo to create new "hardcore" as in "I'm gonna fuck your shit up" type IPs. If Nintendo creates new IPs it should be the same type of stuff they did in the past, meaning it should be for all ages and focussed on gameplay instead of lame stories.

It pisses them off that Nintendo aren't dudebros, in their perfect world everything is dudebro.

Mael

beast786 said:
So you are 1/2 my age.

Oh come the fuck on, you've been playing Mario platformers for 19 years and it just hit you now that you reached your 38th birthday that maybe it would look bad if some lady saw you playing cute Mario games while they would fall in love if you played matoor hardcore Call of Duty?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
beast786 said:
So you are 1/2 my age.

I'm 29, I HAVE been playing Mario since I was 10, and quite frankly I want more more more of the same Mario design. The Galaxy games are pitched at the perfect level of presentation and "narrative" (if you want to call it that in a Mario platformer) for me. You simply can't assume everyone else is going to feel the same way you do.

Sadist

beast786 said:
Oh come on.

Honestly, it sounds to me you don't want to play Nintendo games anymore. You're saying "Man, I grew up with videogames and my tastes changed". In other words, Nintendo should have grown up together with you. That's not how it works.

Rapstah

SovanJedi said:
I'm 29, I HAVE been playing Mario since I was 10, and quite frankly I want more more more of the same Mario design. The Galaxy games are pitched at the perfect level of presentation and "narrative" (if you want to call it that in a Mario platformer) for me. You simply can't assume everyone else is going to feel the same way you do.
So you are 29/38 his age.

When you will be playing Mario games for another 9 years, you will understand.

This is the perfect answer to any argument ever. I will be using this a lot in the future.

beast786 said:
Did I say that. Dont get defenseive if you been enjoying the same art style and mascot. I did not attack your mascot. If you read the OP, does nintendo need to add new IP because of Wii2 new hardware and price point.

Perhaps you shouldn't get so defensive. If what you're saying is true, then you're only a few years older than I am. I have many friends my age who don't play games like Mario or even Zelda because they perceive them as being geared too young for their personal tastes. Granted, a lot of these folks are not dedicated gamers like most found on these boards, but my point was that these kind of individuals do exist outside of just pre-teens and highschool kids.

That's the only point I was trying to make, I was not attacking you personally.

beast786

Arnie said:
You didn't say that though. You said should Nintendo turn their current IPs into generic, action shit. What would a Goomba with veins and an M16 really do for Mario?

That doesn't mean to say I don't think Nintendo shouldn't create an IP similar to an Uncharted for example, but those franchises don't tally with Nintendo's message of "fun for all". Do you really need violence and action for a game to be fun? Especially when, as evidence in your OP, we get that from everywhere already.

As stated in OP. It was one of the way I offered. Not the only way. The main idea was for Nintendo to start new Gen with not same formula but try something out of there comfort zone.

Wolves Evolve said:
Someone HAS to do a Mariobro Shootslice Adventure mockup.

Mario Keeping It Real : My Shit Is So Fucked Up I Gotta Bounce/Burn You

This reminded me: Is GAF still working on that (Dudebro) project or did it just kind of fall apart after the initial hype faded away?

beast786 said:

I don't think price point is relevant to needing new IPs.

But of course Nintendo needs to introduce new characters & IPs. I don't think you'd actually find a gamer alive who would disagree with you. Besides for the Mii characters and I suppose Excitetruck/bots there really hasn't been a new character with any real substance (to come west at least) from nintendo since Pikmin. That was a long time ago.

But your overall theme of your OP certainly suggested that you wanted less cartoon & more blood and guts in your Mario. That's just silly. Mario needs to be bright & colorful. The new IP point you made, really seemed to be secondary.

this thread is hilarious.

see how Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch didn't take their franchises from last gen, and then give all the characters steroids?

why the hell are you using them as a reason for Nintendo to do what they didn't?

Azure J

Combichristoffersen said:
To diversify their portfolio. Nothing wrong in trying something new.

Now mind you, I'm not agreeing with all out F-Bomb, T&A, bullefests coming from them, but I do believe that Nintendo could stand to have some "Portal"-s, "Hawken"-s, and maybe their own stylish action game. Hell at one point, someone here suggested that DMC would be the kind of game that Nintendo would make if they had a desire to (or wanted to) make a "darker" core series. While I was in the camp that said "no", I do see where that poster was coming from in terms of marrying a extreme "gameplay first" design to an aesthetic and presentation meant to enhance the design and look fun as all fuck doing so.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Rapstah said:

This is the perfect answer to any argument ever. I will be using this a lot in the future.

:<

beast786 said:
As stated in OP. It was one of the way I offered. Not the only way. The main idea was for Nintendo to start new Gen with not same formula but try something out of there comfort zone.

eh? but they basically did this with wii, releasing with wii sports ( yea i know zelda but that was more a gamecube title), talking about a blue ocean etc, mario galaxy didnt come until a year later, heck you could even say they did that with gamecube releasing with pikmin and luigis mansion. you guys say nintendo don't make new ips or whatever but then you go right off and ignore the ones they do make. I'm pretty sure, like every other one of their console releases , that they will create new ips.

beast786 said:
So you are 1/2 my age.

You aren't the only adult gamer in this thread. Yes you're older than I am, but not much. I'm 30, and the thought of a mature Mario title is beyond preposterous. If you feel silly playing the game because of it's cartoonish artstyle, then perhaps you aren't as big a VG fan as you think because SMG1-2 are 2 incredible games.

I really hope in the next 8 years I don't get so cynical that I can't enjoy a Mario game because my 6 year old niece also likes it.

beast786 said:
Mario's artstyle has changed over the years, there's even a pretty immediate difference between NSMB-style and Galaxy-style. And then there's the tangents like Yoshi's Island or Paper Mario, Mario's artstyle as a brand is probably more fluid than nearly any other long running major IP.

Your OP seems to be mainly attacking Nintendo from a developer standpoint though given your counter examples, so I'm not exactly sure why you're trying to tie everything to just one IP? NCL's internal R&D teams have produced games as varied visually as Super Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Rhythm Tengoku, Wii Sports, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Famicom Wars, Wave Race, Punch-Out, Mother, Yoshi's Island, Detective Club, Pikmin, 1080, Nintendogs, Brain-Age, Jam with the Band, Battle Clash, Mach Rider and tons of others over their 3 decade long history. Diversity definitely isn't a problem there, I'd say there's more diversity at NCL than there is at ND/SP/Insomniac combined.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
They been experimenting, more or less, with more "Mature" games like Disaster and Reginleiv. The latter got a Cero D rating in Japan which is the equivalent of an ESRB M rating. Those don't get world wide releases though. I'm sure Nintendo is open to creating a new mature IP though, (Or they can bring back Eternal Darkness) but don't hold your breath for a "Mature Mario" game.

Azure J

Rapstah said:

It's like 2011's "cookie cutter motherfuckers/safe as moist dudes".

Mael

beast786 said:

Get real they did just that with Wii actually they're probably the only ones on the console market providing some video games that can be seen as not something geared toward the kids/teenage demographic.
If you actually followed how the gaming market evolved you'd know that something as inoffensive as WiiFit is seen in a much better light than something like GT5 by the adult people.
The whole Wii experiment (because it'll stay forever as an experiment apparently) was about how to bring people who don't game into the market, the truth is no one should actually care about the mature gore segment of the population in the same that film makers, book publishers don't actually care about that.
If anything they should have pursued that BOS instead of getting lazy and throwing their market under the bus.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
beast786 said:
So you are 1/2 my age.

I'm 27 and been playing Mario games since my childhood, so nearly 17 years, don't give that crap excuse.

Just admit you think Nintendo games are too kiddy for you and be done with it.

beast786 said:
As stated in OP.

I used mario as an example of how I have been distancing myself from Nintendo. They need a new IP. but, for me to justify Wii2 with a heavy price tag I need to see something different from Nintendo from there IP's.
They've published plenty new IP lately. Going by Wikipedia, here's a list of new IP they've published last generation:
Wii:
• Wii ____
• Endless Ocean
• Disaster: Day of Crisis
• Captain Rainbow
• Takt of Magic
• FlingSmash
• Zangeki no Reginleiv (Dynamic Slash)
• And-Kensaku (Kensax)
• Xenoblade
• The Last Story
• Pandora's Tower
• Art Style
• MaBoShi
• Bonsai Barber
• Rock N' Roll Climber
• PictureBook Games
• You, Me, and the Cubes
• Eco Shooter: Plant 530
• AquaSpace
• Snowpack Park
• Line Attack Heroes
• Fluidity
Nintendo DS:
• Polarium
• Meteos
• Trace Memory
• Nintendogs
• Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
• Electroplankton
• Brain Age
• Magnetica
• Big Brain Academy
• Clubhouse Games
• Magical Starsign
• Project Hacker
• Hotel Dusk
• Master of Illusion
• Jet Impulse
• Slide Adventure MAGKID
• ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
• Soma Bringer
• Daigasso! Band Brothers (Jam With The Band)
• Fossil Fighters
• Style Savvy
• Tomodachi Collection
• Art Academy
• Lots of stuff on DSiWare
Nintendo 3DS:
• Steel Diver

OK, so a lot of those probably wouldn't be considered "mature," and a lot of them didn't make it out of Japan, but you have to admit, that's still a lot of new IP.

Gino

The best part is Mario just turned 25.

That's 25/38th's of his age.

When Mario's been Mario for another 13 years Mario will understand.

Man, you guys are brutal.

Nothing wrong with new IPs aimed at older audiences, but Nintendo will always and should always be the Pixar of gaming; stuff aimed at families that all ages can enjoy. Darker and edgier just wouldn't work with Mario without a major outcry from the fanbase. It might work for some franchises like Metroid and maybe Zelda (if that fucked up scene in TP is anything to go by), but others should be left alone.

Top Bottom