• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Wii U all but dead now: What had the better life, The Dreamcast or Wii U?

Seanlole

i'm going with the dreamcast.

even if the wii u has an amazing library, dreamcast has both shenmue, games way ahead of his time, the first soul calibur, the best of the arcade at this time (crazy taxi, specially) and both sonic adventure.

and i enjoyed more of the dreamcast at its time than the wii u today.

z0m3le

Banned
But if Nintendo had a lot of hypothetical third party support, then would it have been better than the hypothetical 4 years of Dreamcast?

No, the problem is Sega wasn't supporting a portable at the time. If Wii U's library included 3DS's? yeah no contest, Wii U would never be part of this discussion, probably would have sold more than 13 million consoles too.

The WiiU lasted longer. But the delays and long waiting between games harms the over all experience with the system honestly.

Dreamcast didn't stop delivering right up until it died.

Yup. I don't even like Shenmue, but the Dreamcast was a great console. Good exclusive games, great third-party catalog. The WiiU is not on the same level.

Dreamcast did so much before most others, including a second screen!

Remember Sonic Shuffle's clever MP use of second screen, you guys?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not infallible guys, as much as I look it.
The ones I really did forget to put on even though I was thinking of it when making the list was Donkey Kong and Pikmin III.

Can we consider the Virtual Console on Wii U as being included in the evaluation?

No. Unless you won't to include the unfortunate (or fortunate for cheapskates) ability to play Dreamcast games for free with the least amount of work needed.

But if Nintendo had a lot of hypothetical third party support, then would it have been better than the hypothetical 4 years of Dreamcast?
Unprecedented Partnership.

Tain

I think my tastes also line up more to Dreamcast's strengths. While I love Platinum's games, 3D World, and Splatoon, I can't get excited for Mario Maker and Mario Kart, and I don't expect to be all that thrilled by the new Zelda. Dreamcast, OTOH, is extremely arcade port heavy.

Dreamcast didn't have Bayonetta 2.

Wii U doesn't have Border Down, that's probably at least a wash.

Kid Ying

Wiiu had more games overall, but Dreamcast had much less time and more classics...

Still, i will go with wiiu.

Although if you like sports games there is no competition. Since the last game of the genre i played was FIFA 96 on the mega drive, it doesnt matter to me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
CTRL-F

Wond

This thread already failed to mention The Wonderful 101.

WII U.

Is it called that because they predicted their sales numbers ahead of time?

I heard mixed reviews on this but I hear their is some diehard fans of it.

Wii U arrived in my life as a 33 year-old jaded, workaholic professional, where I have more money to spend on toys than I know what to do with but precious, precious little time to do so.

Dreamcast came my first year of university, with only a part time job but most of that going into games as I was living at home, with all the time in the world.

Nostalgia's a very, very powerful thing with me.

I am genuinely curious if people will have the same reverance for the WU as they tend to romanticize the DC about a decade from now.

Edit: To be fair, a couple of good JRPGs in Skies and Grandia 2, a buttload of fighters and kick ass sports games were absolutely enough for me. So it's not all nostalgia. I'd be more than happy for another console with a similar library.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dreamcast. It's not even close. It had 3rd Party classics, 1st party breakthroughs, sports games, party games, tons of fighters, arcade ports. So dense.

Wii U's library is a wet fart in comparison outside of a few, great Nintendo games.

Sega Rally 2 is definitely worth adding to the Dreamcast list - timeless arcade racer

Affordable Space Adventures for the Wii U list - atmospheric puzzle adventure game that uses the GamePad as a heads-down display

I love both systems, and I've been WiiU only as a main-current console for two years now AND enjoying myself a lot, really playing its games over and over, bringing back local multiplayer to my circle of friends while I'm at it. Still have a blast with its games, even though this year... is gonna be harsh.

On the other hand, up until this day I still add games to my vast collection of Dreamcast games. Back in very early 2000s, there was nothing like SEGAs mad creativity and Arcade perfection (Shenmue series, Jet Set Radio, REZ, Space Channel 5, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Sakura Taisen series, Phantasy Star Online, F355 Challenge, Virtua Tennis 2, Daytona USA 2001...) and it also had an amazing library of 3rd party games, especially in one of my favorite genres, the fighting games (SNK-titles, Capcom-titles, Rival Schools 2, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, the Resident Evil games, Grandia 2, Power Stone, Ikaruga, overall vastly improved PS1/N64 ports such as Bangai-O, amazing Tony Hawk 1&2 ports, Hydro Thunder...) I could go on and on.

Meanwhile, the WiiU mostly had Nintendo output. Amazing Nintendo output, no doubt, some of their best titles in years, going strong in many different genres and producing some games which will be evergreens for me for the decades to come (Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Yoshis Wooly World, Wonderful 101 to call out some of the most polished and best games IMO on the system).
I have over 25 retail games on the system, and apart from certain remakes or ports, all of them are exclusive to the WiiU. Most Dreamcast games already appeared on other systems in better versions, so there's that, but we will probably see the same happening to the more important WiiU titles when they appear on the NX as ports or remakes as well. But, and that's a big BUT, you get 1-2, maybe 3 games/genre and lots of those are firmly placed within the Mario and friends-franchise. Which I love. But this reduces the amount of vastly different styles and experiences, visually. I mean, it helps that I love platform games a lot. But still...

Overall, the Dreamcast. Not only did it technically have a far longer life, it also carries a stronger legacy for new SEGA IPs, had a lot more notable 3rd party titles, was maybe the last bastion of "Arcade gaming for your home", had a lot more games coming out during its main days and brought a lot of innovation to the world of console gaming as a whole.

(edit: if you add the Wii games through backwards compatibility and also Virtual Console, it evens out a lot towards Nintendos favor. But in this case I just took the -new/exclusive- output of the WiiU and its hardware life into account)

I will definitely have to go with Wii U, but that's all thanks to Nintendo's first party. Without first party offerings, Dreamcast wins by a longshot. I loved playing Virtua Tennis growing up

Aki-at

Dreamcast and it isn't even a contest.

Power Stone and Soul Caliber, Wacky Racer and Code Veronica... the game had some decent third party support and then when we start on the first party.

It's worth noting it had games like Phantasy Star Online and herald the Erased of online gaming too.

Astral Dog

Dreamcast had actual third party support, Wii U had just decent first party support.
But U has very high quality games too.

Also, its not truly dead until the NX is released! :p

shandy706

I could probably list 100 very good to great games that I played on DC.

Not even joking. Like it wouldn't even be a struggle to come up with 100.

I might could come up with 15...maybe...games I've now played on Wii U that come close to the 100 on DC.

Instro

No comparison to be made. Dreamcast may have failed, but it had a lot of interesting games before it died. It had some 3rd party support, and wasn't a backwards hardware design. WiiU is not even close in any respect.

Zalusithix

Dreamcast for me without a doubt. High quality games across a wide range of genres from both first and third parties. Great new IPs along with strong continuations of existing ones. Perfect arcade ports. It was the first console with any online play worth mentioning. The inclusion of the VMU which was far more original at the time than the tablet-pad of the Wii U.

Then there's just the intangible feeling. The Dreamcast felt like magic at the time. It felt more alive on its death bed than the Wii U has ever felt for me. A lot of that is probably time and place related in my life, but still.

jett

D-Member
tumblr_na3qxb6SGz1s7elebo1_500.gif

Bumpers

Dreamcast, console survived until the very end. It made up for the shortfall of third party by having its own established variants, and was the definitive machine to play arcade ports on.

It brought more influential titles to the market in a shorter time than the WiiU, and I'd say the machine itself brought more influential choices too.

Ramirez

The Dreamcast offered so many firsts for me, nothing on the WiiU could ever hope to match the experience of playing PSO for the first time.

MacTag

Banned
Dreamcast had decent 3rd party support compared to the Wii U, as well as more games overall.
I'd say neither system had decent 3rd party support. Both were a distant last place in that respect their generations and major publishers basically abandoned both shortly after launch.

Also, Wii U already has more releases than Dreamcast did in the US. The rise of digital has really changed the landscape in that respect.

Dreamcast: 241 games
Wii U: 479 games
Wii U Virtual Console: 228 games

i'm going with the dreamcast.

even if the wii u has an amazing library, dreamcast has both shenmue, games way ahead of his time, the first soul calibur, the best of the arcade at this time (crazy taxi, specially) and the both sonic adventure.

and i enjoyed more of the dreamcast at its time than the wii u today.
If you look at it from a historical perspective you can look at the Wii U's library and see many titles that had entries on previous platforms or similar games on other systems. Every Nintendo console for the last two decades or so has had a Mario Kart, a 3D Mario, Smash Bros and a Zelda. Even Bayonetta and Xenoblade Chronicles X had entries that played and looked very similar on previous generation consoles. The Dreamcast on the other hand had especially unique titles that stood alone for years just as 3D games like Crazy Taxi, Hydro Thunder, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, REZ, Virtua Fighter, Soulcalibur, House of the Dead, Jet Set Radio and Phantasy Star Online (GC and PS2 were not big on the online features the Dreamcast had at the time) came onto the scene. It was a superstar of a console for games you just couldn't get anywhere else (even among other Sega consoles) thanks to 3D and Sega's arcade roots. Wonderful 101, Splatoon and Pokken are unique and interesting titles, but they just can't compare to the big number of titles that made huge debuts in living rooms for the first time thanks to the Dreamcast.

Petrae

Since I could never be convinced to buy a WiiU, Dreamcast wins by default in my case-- although it probably would have won even if I did buy a WiiU.

The Dreamcast had such a strong launch lineup. It was heavy on arcade ports, but also had sports, action, and platforming games. Even as someone who had all but sworn off SEGA after the 32X, I couldn't help but to be drawn back in and wound up owning the system until SEGA announced that the plug was being pulled. (Then I traded it all in towards a PS2.)

There's been nothing strong enough to compel me to spend $300 on a WiiU. Hyrule Warriors was perhaps the best argument, but I'm playing it on my 3DS now, instead. The games, by and large, just don't appeal to me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Owned both. Would have to give a slight edge to Wii U. I was never the biggest Sega/Arcade game fan, so a lot of the big games on DC weren't my cup of tea.

I got it mainly for Soul Calibur and sports games.

Wii U is a big disappoint me over all, but I still like it more than even the Wii. It was great having Nintendo games in HD finally, and it got a good amount of games I loved despite the console selling poorly. I bought it a couple years after launch so I knew what I was getting into so I wasn't upset by it just being a first party machine for me.

That's pretty much all Nintendo is to me anymore anyway. I grew up with them on NES-N64 (and the GB and GBA), but I'm much more into the types of games/genres on Sony/MS/PC these days and just get Nintendo hardware for a change of pace and to play their big flagship games that I still love.

One system ended up being the last console a major game maker ever made, the other one is a system confused for a previous systems peripheral and won't have a notable new game released for almost a good year. Both systems have some classic games that were overlooked due to a low sales and an early console death.

For the Wii U, there's no game except for Zelda scheduled to come out after Tokyo Mirage Systems. Zelda has been pushed to 2017 at the earliest with a likely better NX version releasing the at the same time.

Dreamcast
Sonic Adventure - Sonic's first real 3D platformer. Might not hold up the best today, but it blew me away when I first played it.
Soul Calibur - An awesome 3D arcade fighter that came to the Dreamcast like I was playing it at the arcade.
Crazy Taxi - A near arcade perfect version of the Craaaaaaaaaaaaazy Taxi arcade game.
Jet Set Radio - An artistic game full of spraypainting fun.
Phantasy Star Online - A MORPG based on the fan favorite Phantasy Star Franchise. Ambitious internet connectivity that in many ways is a grandfather to the console internet games we play today.
Power Stone - A 3D arcade brawler.
Resident Evil: Code Veronica - A solid entry to the original Resident Evil Franchise.
Skies of Arcadia - A great RPG full of flying ship pirate fights.
Shenmue - One of the most ambitious games for its time I've ever played.
Sonic Adventure 2 - Sequel to Sonic Adventure. lot of Sonic Pals.
Shenmue II - Sequel to the ambitious Shenmue. Never came to the US! Came out on Xbox later in the US.
Marvel vs. Capcom II - A classic fighter. All that has to be said is that It's Maaaaaahvel Baybee. Where ya' curley mustache at?
Grandia II - A sequel to a beloved PS1/Saturn game. Had a lot of fun playing it.
Sakura Taisen 3 - A game that never came out in the west. One part each mech rpg anime dating simulator visual novel.

Wii U
New Super Mario Bros. Wii U - Good game. Crappy music
Super Mario 3D World - A good entry in the 3D Marios. Similar in vein to its 3DS predecessor.
Mario Kart 8 - A Great entry to the Mario Kart Franchise
Super Smash Bros. Wii U - Solid Entry to the Smash Franchise. This time it is playable on 3DS as well.
Super Mario Maker - Fun to be had making your own Mario levels and sharing them. People had been doing this themselves with Rom Hacks for years.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - A great return of the SNES classics.
Splatoon - Probably the one game that started on the Wii U that will shine for future years.
Xenoblade Chronicles: X - The Wii U's RPG (#FE comes out soon here). Good to mixed reviews. Has mechs!
Bayonetta 2 - A solid crazy action game. A game we were lucky to get.
Captain Toad: - Capitan Todd
Hyrule Warriors - A Zelda Musou. 3DS version came later.
Pokken Tournament - A pokemon fighting game that is actually good!
Lego City Undercover - A sleeper hit.
Pikmin 3 - Miyamoto's wild crazy gardening world in HD!
Zelda: Wind Waker Wii U - Pretty deep overhaul of the original game to make it shine with the graphics of the Wii U. Emphasis on the shine.
Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii U - A semi-decent upgrade to the original.
The Legend of Zelda Wii U - Not out yet. Won't be out till 2017 at the earliest.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions - Apparently a decent to good RPG. Confusing for fans of the varying properties as to who it is for.

I'm probably missing some titles for both especially for the Dreamcast. There's varying degrees on what people would consider notable or quality. The Dreamcast had a lot of good sports games as well.

Which system had the better life?

Dreamcast wins and notably it had a lot of quality new IPs

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is this supposed to be a question? Dreamcast all the way. Rehashes of Nintendo franchises(besides bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade i suppose) can't compare to the pure legendary status of Power Stone 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 2, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead 2, MVC 1 and MVC2, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Rumble 2 Rumble, Project Justice and more ><

Yes the Wii U was a failure for Nintendo, but not for fans like me. Still have my Dreamcast around for Shenmue, but the library of the Wii U is way superior.

Super Mario 3D World
Smash Bros U
Mario Maker
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2 (And the def edi of 1)
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Pikmin 3
Captain Todd
Lego City Undercover
Yoshi Woolly World
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: TP
The Wonderful 101
Splatoon
Nintendo Land
New Super Luigi U
Affordable Space Adventures
Pokken Tournament
Star Fox Zero

Bumpers

I'd argue a better comparison would be Saturn vs WiiU. Both had established franchises missing but brought in new IP's that are adored. However they both received the worst version of 3rd party ports.

Dreamcast, it was years ahead of its time and had features that have only just become standard on consoles, plus it was a time when Sega's internal teams were at their creative peak. Can anyone honestly say online gaming would have been as common on consoles today if Sega hadn't banked everything on it being the next big thing?

By comparison the Wii U's one gimmick was outdated when it released and its selection of games mostly consist of ports from previous generations or sequels which are worse than their predecessors.

Top Bottom