• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Wii U all but dead now: What had the better life, The Dreamcast or Wii U?

kunonabi

Overall Dreamcast. It's ridiculous the amount of quality titles that came out for it in such a short span of time. SEGA's studios were allowed to try very different things and the system did a better job of pushing it's personal attributes(VMU, Online, etc.) Better third party support as well. Import friendly but you could get away with just it's US library

Wii U had some amazing games that are a class above everything else but the droughts were horrible, Nintendo backed off using the gamepad for much of its life to appease the haters before coming back to it a bit with Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Star Fox. Much of it's library was pretty safe and NoA's bullshit tarnished its later output in regards to XCX,FFV, and #FE. Obviously not import friendly and is unlikely to get the post-life library that the DC did.

My Dreamcast library is well over 100 games while my Wii U library is 44 with just Zelda, Paper Mario, and Mario and Sonic to go. Eshop games might push that to 60 or so at best.

It's 2016 and I'm still finding new Dreamcast games worth playing. Won't be able to say the same about the Wii U down the road.

Griss

Wii U's best games are far better than Dreamcast's, even if the console itself is worse.

Wii U takes it, easily.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I would also like to mention the simplicity of the Dreamcast. Granted, it's because of the time, but the damn thing was easy to plug in and play. Controllers, VMU (if you needed) and boom. Done. Multiplayer games worked like a charm, were easy and fun to get into.

Wii U has always been annoying from that standpoint. I have had to explain countless times that the Wii U is an actual system and not a Wii accessory, yet the system had you use Wii accessories as multiplayer controllers or made you buy a Pro controller in addition to using the gamepad. So, the thing never felt right from a multiplayer standpoint as the Gamepad was always this odd controller out. In short, multiplayer stuff tended to be a pain in the ass on Wii U.

botty

Banned
Dream cast had innovation. Wii u had sequels.

Depends on what kind of person you are I guess... Someone that likes to try new, fun things... Or something that wants to stick to a routine.

StereoVsn

The Dreamcast literally has nothing you can compare to Mario Maker or Bayonetta 2 as a whole

So user based level creator and a sequel to Xbox/PS game makes it better then premier arcade console at the time? Sure.....

Wii U has nothing like Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia or Grandia 2. Xenoblade X is actually worse then it's predecessor and while a good game doesn't hold a candle to the 3 Dreamcast RPGs.

Let's not even mention VF3, Soul Calibur, etc...

random25

It's not a question you can answer objectively.
The number of games released for a console or a console total software/hardware sales can be stated objectively.
But what OP is asking is what you prefer between the two library which is a bit of a tricky question cause he is comparing two consoles which came out very far apart from each other, in very different market conditions.

But the question is what had a better life? And that can be answered by metrics such as market longevity, hardware sales and software sales. If it's about the games lineup then OP is asking the wrong question imo because that should have been which dead console you prefer, which I did say would vary because that's subjective.

The Dreamcast had Shenmue.....It's hard to find any exclusive short of a masterpiece that would leave an impression on me above that.

As for overall life....I still pick Dreamcast.

^^All of the above are the games I own(ed)/played. I added some you didn't have.

Yup Dreamcast hands down

The Dreamcast literally has nothing you can compare to Mario Maker or Bayonetta 2 as a whole

Sports games are an entire genre. An important genre too.\ Having an entire division that cranked out some of the best sports games of all time that were exclusive ain't the same thing as not having two very specific types of games. Especially considering the Wii U's lack of sports games.

The Wii U hasn't even had a Madden game in 4 years lol.

madjackal

I love my WiiU but it's Dreamcast and it's not even close. Still have mine hooked up via VGA and component cables, amazing how gorgeous some of the games look in 720p. The diversity of its lineup alone puts it on top.

I would revisit this in a couple years so the Wii U gets a bit of the revisionist history Dreamcast gets.

When did that happen the last time with a Nintendo console?

N64, GameCube or Wii never got the same amount of rosa colored opinions as the other systems of the same timeframe.

Ansatz

Many Wii U games are on a whole other level in terms of gameplay volume and polish in areas such as game balance, controls, and so on compared to most other video games. It's not even a contest for me. What I mean by volume is, well if you think about Tropical Freeze yes it has the same amount of worlds and levels as the SNES DKC games but the quality and density of the level design just doesn't compare, TF is equivalent to at least two SNES DKC games in terms of gameplay volume.

Simply moving your character around in the game world is an immensely satisfying feeling, whether it's the kart handling in MK8, the genius traversal mechanics in Splatoon or the tight controls/physics of Smash. Nintendo nailed the "game feel" in many of the Wii U games and I'm extremely excited to see where they take these franchises from here.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I would revisit this in a couple years so the Wii U gets a bit of the revisionist history Dreamcast gets.

I'm getting the sense a lot of respondents never actually experienced the Dreamcast or its games.

When you say things like Crazy Taxi or Chu Chu rocket can't compare to Mario maker, it makes it hard to take some posts seriously.

And Wii U will still be a console remembered for a half assed original concept in the controller that failed to meet public expectations guys, why are you trying to act like nostalgia is biggest part of people's decisions?

I can understand completely just preferring Nintendo's lineup and that's perfectly fine, but you should just say that instead of putting up weird arguments.

Balb

WiiU has higher highs, but the Dreamcast did manage something like an actual console library so...I can't say?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

When you say things like Crazy Taxi or Chu Chu rocket can't compare to Mario maker, it makes it hard to take some posts seriously.

You can't believe that someone would think Super Mario Maker is way better than Chu Chu Rocket? Crazy Taxi is great to this day though.

Many Wii U games are on a whole other level in terms of gameplay volume and polish in areas such as game balance, controls, and so on compared to most other video games. It's not even a contest for me. What I mean by volume is, well if you think about Tropical Freeze yes it has the same amount of worlds and levels as the SNES DKC games but the quality and density of the level design just doesn't compare, TF is equivalent to at least two SNES DKC games in terms of gameplay volume.

Simply moving your character around in the game world is an immensely satisfying feeling, whether it's the kart handling in MK8, the genius traversal mechanics in Splatoon or the tight controls/physics of Smash. Nintendo nailed the "game feel" in many of the Wii U games and I'm extremely excited to see where they take these franchises from here.

Hows that Nintendo Kool Aid?

Dreamcast, no question. SEGA first party might not have been as well known as Nintendo franchises, but they were all new IP at the time. Space Channel #5, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Resident Evil Code Veronica was exclusive at the time, Jet Grind Radio, ChuChu Rocket, Samba De Amigo, Sega Bass Fishing, Toe and Earl, all the NFL2K games which were superior to EAs output, Virtua Fighter, Ferrari F355, Phantasy Star Online, Sega Tennis, The House of the Dead, The Typing of the Dead, Rez, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure.

The above in my opinion are a stronger, more varied lineup. Not to mention stronger 3rd party support, that was just as creative. Couple that with being the first console to have online support, which was a lot more influential than anything the WiiU will ever do.

MacTag

Banned
Even if you just look at the Japanese release list for the first year. There was nothing wrong with the Dreamcast output, many of the console defined games were released in that time frame.
Extra points if you also into all the unique Japanese stuff, which sadly don't really exist anymore after the end of the PS2/NDS/PSP.
I'm just saying Dreamcast definitely experienced droughts, at least in one region. Wii U probably would've felt a lot different if it's US launch was fall 2013 with things like Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends and TWW HD day one and the publisher exodus also pushed back an extra year.

Ouroboros

I'm a nintendo fan boy but still....

dreamcast-startup-o.gif

I think the QUALITY of the Wii U games are better, but there is also almost a 20 year gap between the two. Going from my experience with the DC at the time of purchase and what I have experienced with the Wii U, I have to go with Dreamcast. I only play SSB4 on the Wii U and will likely sell it once the NX version comes out.

Sports games are an entire genre. An important genre too.\ Having an entire division that cranked out some of the best sports games of all time that were exclusive ain't the same thing as not having two very specific types of games. Especially considering the Wii U's lack of sports games.

The Wii U hasn't even had a Madden game in 4 years lol.

When we look back on Wii U's library in 10 years nobody is going to miss the yearly sports titles.

As a Nintendo fan, I want to say Wii U, but I think both will be remembered fondly. Both have fantastic, but modest, libraries and will be defined by them.

Thabass

Dreamcast. How is this even a fair fight?

Shenmue
Shenmue II
PowerStone
PowerStone 2
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Soul Calibur
Virtua Fighter 3
Marvel vs Capcom I & II
Chu Chu Rocket
Phantasy Star Online
Skies of Arcadia

It also gave us the NFL/NBA 2K series, brought online play to the forefront (no, it didn't originate it, but it made a splash).

Wii U:
Splatoon
Pikmin 3
Smash 4
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Twilight Princess HD
Bayonetta 2

These are the only really good games I can think of off the top of my head for the Wii U.

I'm just saying Dreamcast definitely experienced droughts, at least in one region. Wii U probably would've felt a lot different if it's US launch was fall 2013 with things like Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends and TWW HD day one and the publisher exodus also pushed back an extra year.

Looking at the release list on Wiki and seeing how every month has atleast one game that gets named in all the Dreamcast lists is something I can't see your point that the Dreamcast suffered droughts - especially if you compare it with Nintendo consoles.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dreamcast by an entire league.

Not only did it actually have third party support through Capcom bringing the fire, but Sega was releasing some of the most incredible new concept games the world had ever seen.

For the WiiU's one shake with Splatoon, Sega was punting out Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, and Phantasy Star Online -- online console gaming in the year 2000.

Dreamcast was a device so ahead of a time it even had a fucking screen in the controller anyway!

jmdajr

I don't know about life, but Dreamcast gave me feels. Nothing about WiiU ever made me want to own it, but I haven't been on the N train for awhile.

The day I bought a Dreamcast and booted up Soul Caliber was one of MY greatest gaming days of all time.

When we look back on Wii U's library in 10 years nobody is going to miss the yearly sports titles.

Because they suck. If Nintendo dropped a Wii U exclusive NFL title that was 5 years ahead of Madden you can be damn sure people would be talking about it in 10 years, just like NFL and NBA 2k are rightfully talked about when discussing the Dreamcast 17 years after launch.

Balb

Dreamcast by an entire league.

Not only did it actually have third party support through Capcom bringing the fire, but Sega was releasing some of the most incredible new concept games the world had ever seen.

For the WiiU's one shake with Splatoon, Sega was punting out Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, and Phantasy Star Online -- online console gaming in the year 2000.

Dreamcast was a device so ahead of a time it even had a fucking screen in the controller anyway!

Well when you're looking at both of their libraries in 2016, are you evaluating how innovative they were, or how good the games are to play today? Depending on the criteria, my opinion could drastically change.

Zalman

This discussion will be a lot more interesting in 10 years. People made fun of the Dreamcast when it came out and love it now.

For me time isn't going to change how I feel about the Wii U. It's in the same place as the Gamecube for me. By that I mean they're consoles that only have a handful of games that i'll remember fondly. That's not to say that they only have a handful of good games. But in terms of those that i'll remember for a while, that's where they fall for me. In the case of the Wii U, those are Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Bayonetta 2. Outside of those it's just not a console that did anything for me.

By comparison, with the DC it had Ferrari 355, Sega Rally 2, PSO, Virtua Fighter 3, Shenmue, Shenmue 2, Soulcalibur, JSR, Skies of Arcadia, NFL2K and the list goes on. And it managed to acquire its lineup in a much shorter period of time than the Wii U. It's a very easy choice for me that doesn't have anything to do with nostalgia or revisionist history.

Ansatz

Hows that Nintendo Kool Aid?

I don't know, I don't play video games to experience dialogue and storylines so I don't care about Shenmue or RPGs.

The Sonic game on DC is far below the quality of Mario 64, they couldn't even get basic things like how the camera works right and I consider even SM64 outdated in many ways so yeah you can imagine.

I love me some arcade-y games though, Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio are of my taste and while they're awesome they are simply not superior to Nintendo's best. I grew up with games like Tony Hawk 2 and NBA Jam which are similar to those, which is crazy to think now but back then western games had good game design.

impact

Banned
Dreamcast doesn't have Monster Hunter and Bayonetta so this one is pretty easy

Dreamcast gets props for actually being ahead of it's time, and having actual innovations going on with the hardware and software. But Wii U has like 2-3 games that are going on my all time list. Dreamcast has lots of games I liked back then but are actually terrible (SA1/2, Crazy Taxi, etc) or games that are amazing but got ported elsewhere already (3rd Strike, Code Veronica, etc)

Resident Evil Code Ceronica was exclusive at the time, as well as NBA 2k, NHL 2k, NFL 2k, Skies of Arcadia, Daytona. Third party like Marvel vs capcom, Rainbow Six, Southpark Rally, WWF royal Rumble, and Tony Hawk.

And according to Wikipedia Dreamcast had 638 games! Wii U has nowhere near that.

Lol. Dreamcast hands down. Wii U is worth it for like what, 4 to 5 games.
It's not going to take Dreamcast's library with Captain Toad.

wishdom

OP forgot The Wonderful 101, but that aside, most Dreamcast games on that list weren't exclusive so it's hard to compare.

So the Wii U easily takes it for its exclusive library.

But the Dreamcast did have its fair share of gems too.

The Dreamcast and it's not even close.

It's an insult to the Dreamcast to even be compared to the Wii U.

People just love to compare any prematurely dead console to Dreamcast, look at Wii U or Vita. That's where the comparison ends though, none of the two had a brillant library.

Top Bottom