• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wizardry VII is the greatest RPG ever (and your favorite RPG isn't)

Joe Molotov

I got the opportunity to purchase the following item a few days about for a mere 5 quatloos:

B00001QEPC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

* Stonekeep
* The Bard's Tale
* The Bard's Tale II
* The Bard's Tale III
* The Bard's Tale Construction Set
* Ultima Underworld
* Ultima Underworld II
* Dragon Wars
* Wasteland
* Might & Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen
* Might & Magic V: Darkside of Xeen
* Wizardry Gold

Maybe not the 12 best RPGs ever made, but this is a solid collection. Stonekeep I seem to remember not living up to the hype after it's much-delayed released, but who has time to worry about that when you got the M&M Xeen games, Ultima Underworld, and Wasteland right there staring at you. Wasteland is, as you probably know, a sort of precursor to Fallout.

Playing some of these games reminds me of why I used to love these kinds of games. It's just pure unadulterated hack & loot action. There isn't a half-hour long intro about your main character is love with some chick but he doesn't know how to tell her and then his village gets burned down and they get separated but he's still in love with her even though she's a horse or some emo BS like that. These are RPGs for men. Manly men who just want to cleave a kobold in half and take it's Vorpal Sword.

*cue The Battle Hymm of the Republic*

I don't want to see 15 minutes cut-scenes of your party's entrance into some cerulean city of enlightment and wonder and unless I can just get in there and start hacking people to bits for no good reason and then steal all their awesome stuff. I don't want to have to guess anymore about the gender of my main character. I don't want to play as the loser who keeps getting betrayed by his friends because he's too stupid to see the painfully obvious and the game won't let you intercede on his behalf. I do want to stab some stupid shopkeeper in the face next time he sends me on some stupid fetch quest for an item that I need for saving the world.

Who's with me!?

*cue fireworks in the shape of an American Flag*

But seriously though, Wizardry Gold...aka Wizadry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant...has there even been a better RPG made? Don't answer that, because you're probably wrong. And here's why:

- Wizardry VII has a plot (apparently), but is so good that you can ignore the plot completely and still have the best game ever. I don't remember ever doing a single story-related quest in my entire run of the game, and I played it for at least a hundred hours. All I know is that there's something about a Dark Savant and he's trying to get the Astral Dominae and some robot guy teleports you totally against your will down to the planet of Guardia to stop him. Sounds pretty awesome, but I never really got any farther than that. Probably because I killed any NPC that might have given me any clues.

- Which brings me to the second point, which is that Wiz7 has alot of awesome NPCs to kill. In one part you have to scale this tower that serves as a training ground for initiate wizards. As you ascend in rank, you gain access to the upper floor. The head wizard tells you that if you can make it to the top, he'll turn over his rank of Wizard Master to you. Fortunately he was lying, which means you get to fight him. Also, there's a Old Blind Rat-Man that you meet up with at some point. I think you were supposed to help him, or maybe he was supposed to help you, but at any rate, I just fought him instead. So naturally he turns out to be an crazy Rat Ninja who also happens to be one of the toughest NPCs in the game. Defeating him gives you the most awesome Ninja staff in the game.

- Which brings me to the third point, which is that Faerie Ninjas are the most powerful race/class in the game. If you don't know why this is a positive, just repeat it to yourself a few times. Faerie Ninjas. Faerie F'ing Ninjas. If you're wondering why they're the best, it's simply because their super-high agility gives them an impenetrable defense after just a few levels. Plus they can use the awesome Rat Ninja Staff.

- I played this game for what had to have been hundreds of hours, never even got close to beating it, and still rate it as one of the most satisfying gaming experiences ever. Beat that, Fable!!

There just aren't that many RPGs from those days that are still around anymore (besides Elder Scrolls, of course). Some games try, but inevitably fail, to capture the glory days (like The Bard's Tale remake :vomit: ). But at least we still have the memories, and this righteous RPG anthology! Too bad it's been out-of-print for like a million years.

Interplay! If you can hear me from the depths of bankruptcy hell, you need to re-release some of your RPG collections! And make them work with Windows XP, because it's a real pain trying to get them working DosBox. There was also a pretty sweet Forgotten Realms Collection released around the same time. Do they even own the rights to these games anymore? WTF is even going on with Interplay these days? Inquiring minds want to know, kinda, but not really.

"Nocturne wipes the floor with any RPG past, present or future"

I like the SMT games more than most (all?) JRPG series, but that's not accurate at all. It doesn't hold a candle to the classic Western RPGs.

The Might and Magic series of games (not Heroes of Might and Magic) is the one classic series that always gets forgotten nowadays. It pioneered that style of non-linear "go out and explore the world, beef up your characters to godly levels and try and save the world while figuring out what the heck the plot actually is" kind of gameplay. Kind of like Morrowind or Oblivion but party-based and much more old-school.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Skies of Arcadia :lol :lol

A combat heavy JRPG with terrible combat mechanics, and ship battles that last a half hour each where any actions you perform are irrelevant and you just wait until the "fire special cannon" option comes up.

What charm it has is wasted.

ToxicAdam

Clouds of Xeen was a hard frigging game. I must have spent 80 hours on it, and came very close to beating it.

edit: No offense, but Skies of Arcadia is to classic RPGS what Harry Potter is to classic fantasy novels. I like them both .. but they should be nowhere near threads like this.

------

Dragon Wars was also an overlooked gem. It kind of got lost in the SSI gold box era.

demi

liak no guys baldur's gate 2 is teh best rpg ever becuz i grew up on cool games liak fallout n wastland n telmple of elementnal eval lol

did u no pc gaemes haev the best rpgs becuza they arent on a console

i liak septerra's core lol

edit:

psyche noobs

diablo 2 is teh best

hobbitx

But seriously though, Wizardry Gold...aka Wizadry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant...has there even been a better RPG made? Don't answer that, because you're probably wrong. And here's why:
No I'm not..............Daggerfall!!

Seriously, I played Wizardry for a while until I got my ass beat by some monks I attacked. It seems like everything you attack in that game has like 4 or 5 duplicate homies to come out and help beat you down. I was also sick of doing that copy protection over and over. I'm probably gonna give it another go sooner or later.

bluemax

Banned
I remember Bard's Tale, where it was perilous just to try and get to the friggin' shop at the start. Back when RPGs truly were hardcore.

Grimmy

Banned
Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, is by far the best RPG ever. I haveno clue how many hours I sank into that game (200?), but it was truly epic, wonderfully written, and my Faerie Ninja will beat ALL your asses with 16-hit combos!

BenT

Wizardry VII (not so much Gold) had some of the best atmosphere I've ever seen in a game. Dark, lonely, hopeless... Lost Guardia was lost for a reason. It's too bad it's such a beast to get running on Pentium and later PCs. And also that (strong) character creation is a multiple-hour horror. If you want that Faerie Ninja you've got to wait long enough to roll one. Maybe there's a cheat program these days to speed that up?

Wiz8 is wonderful too, though in different ways. Great fun.

Tellaerin

Teknopathetic said:
"Nocturne wipes the floor with any RPG past, present or future"

I like the SMT games more than most (all?) JRPG series, but that's not accurate at all. It doesn't hold a candle to the classic Western RPGs.

Saying 'RPG A doesn't hold a candle to RPG B' is pretty meaningless unless you and the person you're talking to are both looking for the same things in your RPG's. For me, appealing characters and an entertaining plot are crucial - as long as those elements are present, I can have a great time playing even if the actual game mechanics are pretty mediocre. I don't mind linear narratives, and prefer RPG's with a prescripted story where party members interact dramatically with each other and the NPC's over the course of the game. So for me, something like Skies of Arcadia is going to get the nod over the stereotypical Western PC RPG. Other people prefer a heavy focus on game mechanics and don't consider plot or characterization especially important, or enjoy creating their own characters and 'making up' a narrative of their own as they go along. More than any other genre, with RPG's, it all comes down to personal preference.

"For me, appealing characters and an entertaining plot are crucial - as long as those elements are present, I can have a great time playing even if the actual game mechanics are pretty mediocre. I don't mind linear narratives, and prefer RPG's with a prescripted story where party members interact dramatically with each other and the NPC's over the course of the game. So for me, something like Skies of Arcadia is going to get the nod over the stereotypical Western PC RPG. "

That depends on what your idea of the "stereotypical Western PC RPG" is.

Tellaerin

Teknopathetic said:
"For me, appealing characters and an entertaining plot are crucial - as long as those elements are present, I can have a great time playing even if the actual game mechanics are pretty mediocre. I don't mind linear narratives, and prefer RPG's with a prescripted story where party members interact dramatically with each other and the NPC's over the course of the game. So for me, something like Skies of Arcadia is going to get the nod over the stereotypical Western PC RPG. "

That depends on what your idea of the "stereotypical Western PC RPG" is.

I'd say the stereotypical Western RPG is the stat-heavy, create-your-own-party RPG with a big focus on hack-and-slash dungeon crawling, and which has an overarching plot but very little in the way of party interaction or player character development. Stuff in the venerable tradition of the original Bard's Tale, the Wizardry series, Ultima III, the Gold Box AD&D games, the classic Might and Magic series, etc.

I don't feel like that's a very..."current" stereotype. While western RPGs still have a tendency stick to their stat-heavy roots, since Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment (and before, if you count the later Ultimas, etc.) western RPGs had a heavy focus in well-written and engaging dialogue between NPCs as well as interesting plotlines with varying degrees of linearity from game to game. But, I suppose if you prefer linear games they're still not really made for you.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
AniHawk said:
You're all wrong.

*skies of arcadia boxart*

The End.

Only took 2 posts, i'm impressed. :lol

As with Lunar mentioned in this thread, memorable characters and story do not make a game as much as we try to cloud our eyes to see it that way. Although I think Lunar is a bigger offender in this category :D

Top Bottom