• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•26-28•17 - Rock in bay can't stop Pirates or Guardians, Alien sinks tho

witness

So excited for Wonder Woman's opening, we loved the movie so much yesterday. My wife was so goddamn excited after the movie, it was great to see her as excited as I usually am after these kinds of movies.

Watching my son line up his Captain Underpants toys and funko pops while eating cereal, my wife says "I wonder how it did. I hope it did well as a 'take that' to all the parents who got the book banned".

My seven year old has read all the books multiple times and we've even read a few chapters for bed time so we get the gist of the story and Pilkey's sattire and I too hope it did well. Any early forecasts?

Boke1879

Watching my son line up his Captain Underpants toys and funko pops while eating cereal, my wife says "I wonder how it did. I hope it did well as a 'take that' to all the parents who got the book banned".

My seven year old has read all the books multiple times and we've even read a few chapters for bed time so we get the gist of the story and Pilkey's sattire and I too hope it did well. Any early forecasts?

Wait? People got the book banned?

shira

Opening weekend

ww
~100M domestic - 4165 theatres
bvs
166 - 4242 theatres
ss
133 - 4255 theaters

It's crazy to even think how much bvs and ss could have made if they were not awful.

kswiston

I am going to guess $110-115M overseas for Wonder Woman this weekend, based on the Wed-Fri total. It might be a bit lower or higher than that depending on Saturday's boost.

We got numbers from Germany already, where the movie didn't even chart.

Hard to chart when it didn't open this week. France, Germany, Spain, and a few other EU territories have to wait.

gamz

I am going to guess $110-115M overseas for Wonder Woman this weekend, based on the Wed-Fri total. It might be a bit lower or higher than that depending on Saturday's boost.

Hard to chart when it didn't open this week.
France, Germany, Spain, and a few other EU territories have to wait.

LOL!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Unlike Batfleck who becomes a mass murderer cuz a Robin died lol

I don't really want to defend TDKR, and I'm not gonna. Prime Baleman is in Begins and TDK, but mostly TDK for me.

Batfleck isn't accurate either. We haven't had a comic book accurate portrayal of Bruce Wayne on screen yet unless we count Kevin Conroy.

It's crazy to even think how much bvs and ss could have made if they were not awful.

Probably not much more.

kswiston

Probably not much more.

Even with Civil War's tepid legs, BvS would have made another $50M domestic. I think with good WOM, it would have made $80-100M more. I don't know about overseas. It still would have made less than Civil War worldwide, but $1B might have happened given the fact that it was a little more than $125M off the mark.

Suicide Squad wouldn't have done much better. It had pretty standard legs.

Both of those would have made over a billion imo.
Of the top 10 August openers, the second worst multiplier is Straight Outta Compton with a 2.7. And while Suicide Squad did open much higher than that, that's not as much of a drag on legs as you might think. It also had an extra week of summer weekdays compared to Compton, so if Suicide Squad was more universally liked, I do think it would have gotten at least $360M off the opening it had.

It's harder to get a bead on how much its overseas gross would have gone up by, but it'd need $640M overseas if it made $360M domestic, which is over 50% higher than its actual overseas take. That doesn't seem reasonable, so I think Suicide Squad would have needed a China release to hit a billion under any situation.

Suicide Squad never released in China, take that into consideration. If the reception were as good as with Wonder Woman, I had to go with 1bn for BvS, 900M for Suicide Squad.

And who knows, that might have boosted Wonder Woman's OW for another 20-30M.

Suicide Squad never released in China, take that into consideration. If the reception were as good as with Wonder Woman, I had to go with 1bn for BvS, 900M for Suicide Squad.

And who knows, that might have boosted Wonder Woman's OW for another 20-30M.

Wonder Woman is going to open to basically the same number as Winter Soldier when you consider inflation. It doesn't look like BvS hurt much at all domestically. May have hurt the international performance some though.

Marvel has Captain Marvel. Johasson's contract is up with Infinity War, and Marvel is cheap. If we get a Black Widow film, there'll be some handoff. More likely is they dip into the well for another female character: Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye #2, White Tiger, Elsa Bloodstone, etc.

Of these, I think the most likely is them letting Clint Barton go back to being a family man and introducing Kate Bishop. Now that they've confirmed Squirrel Girl for TV, I think that's where Kamala is going to end up as well.

LeBron bans Wonder, because Woman beats Pirates in Underpants

giphy.gif

kswiston

From ERCboxoffice:

The truth about WONDER WOMAN: Debut ($100M) IMAX ($9M) CS (A) Females (52%) Under 35 (53%) Budget ($150M)

kswiston

Deadline says the Saturday estimate is $35.8M, the weekend actual will likely increase by at least a million.

They also mention saturday was up 44% if you remove previews, which is not true and I'm not sure how you could make that mistake.

WB has Sunday dropping 28%. Unless Basketball dampens things, I could see the actual Sunday drop being closer to 20%. As you said, $1-2M more.

As for the mistake, it's Deadline. Calculators aren't their strong suit.

Looks like I should have kept to my original prediction of $95m. The audience skewing female and older though is a good sign for its legs. $260-280m is in play, I think.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) Wonder Woman - $100.5M
2) Captain Underpants - $23.5M
3) Pirates 5 - $21.6M (-66%) - $115M total
4) Guardians of the Galaxy - $9.7M (-53%) - $355M total
5) Baywatch - $8.5M (-54%) - $42M total
6) Alien Covenant - $4.0M (-62%) - $67M total
7) Everything, Everything - $3.3M (-45%) - $28M total

Pirates 5 is at $501M worldwide. Second worldwide weekend was about $97M.

Boke1879

WB has Sunday dropping 28%. Unless Basketball dampens things, I could see the actual Sunday drop being closer to 20%. As you said, $1-2M more.

As for the mistake, it's Deadline. Calculators aren't their strong suit.

😭😭😂😂

Alien still dropping like a rock. Scott ain't getting his $100m sequel, that's for damn sure. Prometheus 3 is going to have a budget of like $60m

Is Pirates 5 going to hit $700m?

gamz

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) Wonder Woman - $100.5M
2) Captain Underpants - $23.5M
3) Pirates 5 - $21.6M (-66%) - $115M total
4) Guardians of the Galaxy - $9.7M (-53%) - $355M total
5) Baywatch - $8.5M (-54%) - $42M total
6) Alien Covenant - $4.0M (-62%) - $67M total
7) Everything, Everything - $3.3M (-45%) - $28M total

Pirates 5 is at $501M worldwide. Second worldwide weekend was about $97M.

Man, people still love the Pirates franchise. Jesus...

kswiston

Alien still dropping like a rock. Scott ain't getting his $100m sequel, that's for damn sure. Prometheus 3 is going to have a budget of like $60m

Easily. It still has Japan. Even though the Japanese Yen is way down from 2011, Pirates 4 did over $100M there. this one should be able to crack $60M.

$800M is looking more likely.

I was embarrassingly wrong about Captain Underpants. One of my worst calls in awhile.

I've heard some bad things about it from parents taking their kids, and Cars 3 is only two weeks away, so even with such a modest budget CU may not be much of a hit for Dreamworks.

So Guardians passes 350 million domestic this weekend. One hell of a run it's had. Guessing it's gonna finish somewhere around 365 - 375?

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Beauty and the Beast - $1.241B ($93M in Japan after 7 weekends at #1)
Fate of the Furious - $1.228B
Guardians of the Galaxy V2 - $817M
Wonder Woman - $223M

I was embarrassingly wrong about Captain Underpants. One of my worst calls in awhile.

I've heard some bad things about it from parents taking their kids, and Cars 3 is only two weeks away, so even with such a modest budget CU may not be much of a hit for Dreamworks.

It was a lot better than The Boss Baby from my perspective.

Other than that, most of your predictions were decent.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Ridley Scott's comments on whitewashing in Hollywood have that dude on my shitlist forever. Covenant's failure makes me smile.

Easily. It still has Japan. Even though the Japanese Yen is way down from 2011, Pirates 4 did over $100M there. this one should be able to crack $60M.

$800M is looking more likely.

Ah I thought it was open in all countries already.

That domestic performance is even worse than I thought though. It's going to finish almost $100m below On Stranger Tides unadjusted.

How's that $233 global opening for WW looking? Is that a solid start overseas? I'm not sure which territories it's all released in so far so I'm not certain what to make of it

My guess is that the Worldwide total will end up somewhere between Logan and Man of Steel.

That's great, seems it's gonna go a bit higher than I was expecting. I was thinking it would do $600 but if it can get closer to MOS, say in the $650 range I'd be really happy.

Off a $150 budget this should be plenty successful for DC. If imagine giving the huge reception it's gonna move a lot of merch for them as well.

Top Bottom