• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0811-1317 - Annabelle conjures up #1, Dark Tower Falls

Anth0ny

I wasn't exaggerating when I made that Wolf Warrior 2 over Avatar domestic thread a couple of weeks ago!

Star Wars is safe though. Wolf Warrior 2 is looking to settle between $800-850M I think.

It made like $1.5 million domestically.

That's like 99.8% : 0.2% international/domestic split.

I can't

I think WB is playing things conservative here.
Absolutely agree, and even the tracking firms are because of how weak September historically has been. Those awareness and interest numbers in the article are fucking insane.

So 65-70 then

Wait, what does it take for IT to double the previous opening weekend record? I think that's my high-water mark for that movie now.
Some high OWs marks to keep in mind for IT:

• Hotel Translyvania 2 - $48.5M (highest September OW)
  • Insidious 2 - $40.3M (highest live-action September OW)
  • I Am Legend - $77.2M (highest horror/thriller OW)
  • Signs - $60.1M (2nd highest horror/thriller OW)
  • Hannibal - $58.0M (highest R-rated horror/thriller OW, was at the time 3rd highest OW ever)
  • Paranormal Activity 3 - $52.6M (highest "straight horror" OW)

kswiston

So 65-70 then

Wait, what does it take for IT to double the previous opening weekend record? I think that's my high-water mark for that movie now.

That would double the R-rated record I think. Without going on BOM to check, I am pretty sure that Hotel Transylvania has the overall September record at around $48M.

So even the low end tracking is a September record.

EDIT: B-G-E has things covered already!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is this unusual to not have any casting news for a CBM that starts filming in less than approx. 6 months?

There's an odd amount of radio silence around Shazam. Just a couple of months ago we thought this would be a Black Adam project. And usually, we'd at least know the star a year before filming even starts. Then you get the slow trickle of costars and the villain. Shazam starts filming in January or February and we know the director. That's it, right?

The whole co-production with New Line also worries me a little too. Joseph Gordon Levitt bounced from the Sandman movie cause it got passed down to New Line...

BOBBY LOOK

YOUR LIGHTTUBE FILM

'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Film in the Works (Exclusive)

Stephen Daldry is Star Wars' new hope.

The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars standalone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass. It's not known at this stage if Ewan McGregor will reprise his role.

Stephen fucking DALDRY????

Z4UqVXn.gif

This movie will suck, but get nominated for BP because Daldry has a pact with the devil.

kswiston

I have no idea who that is.

Who's worse, Daldry or...*shudders* Yates

His filmography

2000: Billy Elliot
2002: The Hours
2008: The Reader
2011: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
2014: Trash
2019: Wicked

The first four were nominated for best picture. I think that he was also nominated for best director for the first 3.

His filmography

2000: Billy Elliot
2002: The Hours
2008: The Reader
2011: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
2014: Trash
2019: Wicked

I like the idea of that guy on a Star Wars flick. I'm curious to see what that turns out to be like.

(I think he also directed some of The Crown on Netflix)

So, looking at BGE's post - double the September weekend is in the 90 mil OW range. That seems high to me. So maybe it won't hit that.

But I'm keeping my eye on the fences.

36.7m views as of now for Thor trailer. Uploaded July 22.

Thor teaser. 42.7m views as of now. Uploaded April 10.

Justice League comic con trailer. 29.5m views. Uploaded July 22.

Justice League Trailer 1, 30.7m views. Uploaded March 25.

Justice League comic con 2016 trailer. 25m views. Uploaded July 23, 2016

Last Jedi teaser. 38.4m views. Uploaded April 14th.

That is just the official YouTube videos for those, not counting reposts, etc.

Meanwhile, Beauty and the Beast first trailer. 36m views. Uploaded Nov 14, 2016.

Meanwhile, the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 trailers didn't crack 20m from the original upload sources.

If we are basing opening weekends off of just YouTube views (which isn't very accurate or scientific), then Thor will be a beast opening weekend.
But, it does show that the trailers have hit on something that people like seeing over and over again.

We shall see.

Trailers are pretty much just mini-music videos now tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if people are just playing them over and over because the music and visuals are dope and fit well. Same reason the SS trailers where popular I imagine, people really like Queen and they really like Harley Quinn.

That fucking video for Heathens off the SS soundtrack has 853 million views, Jesus.

Not correct, since this post it actually has now amassed 900 BILLION views.

The cast of Suicide Squad now to receive a guest starring role in the feature length video sequel to Heathens, Suicide Squad 2: Savages.

Featuring, every goddamn pop or rock song you've casually hummed to yourself since the dawn of time!

36.7m views as of now for Thor trailer. Uploaded July 22.

Thor teaser. 42.7m views as of now. Uploaded April 10.

Justice League comic con trailer. 29.5m views. Uploaded July 22.

Justice League Trailer 1, 30.7m views. Uploaded March 25.

Justice League comic con 2016 trailer. 25m views. Uploaded July 23, 2016

Last Jedi teaser. 38.4m views. Uploaded April 14th.

That is just the official YouTube videos for those, not counting reposts, etc.

Meanwhile, Beauty and the Beast first trailer. 36m views. Uploaded Nov 14, 2016.

Meanwhile, the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 trailers didn't crack 20m from the original upload sources.

If we are basing opening weekends off of just YouTube views (which isn't very accurate or scientific), then Thor will be a beast opening weekend.
But, it does show that the trailers have hit on something that people like seeing over and over again.

We shall see.

JL is significantly ahead on all other platforms except YouTube. I wouldn't look too much into these numbers.

Toa TAK

Banned
Not correct, since this post it actually has now amassed 900 BILLION views.

The cast of Suicide Squad now to receive a guest starring role in the feature length video sequel to Heathens, Suicide Squad 2: Savages.

Featuring, every goddamn pop or rock song you've casually hummed to yourself since the dawn of time!

The trailers for SS2 better be as good as they were for the first.

The trailers for SS2 better be as good as they were for the first.
All jokes aside WB goes hard with their trailers so I expect them to find another oldie to ride into $700 million+.

I'm actually kinda surprised they went the more traditional route and use the MoS score for the latest JL trailer, I'm sure it gets the nerds hyped but it's not something I imagine many people would replay a trailer for.

Even when those platforms are Twitter, Facebook, and Google Trends?

Google Trends I couldn't tell you, but I was specifically talking about Twitter and Facebook, yes. Their threshold for view counts are significantly lower than YouTube's, and combined with autoplay they can be easily manipulated by heavy ad pushes.

The fact that a Thor trailer is even hanging in numbers that high is nuts though.

There's obviously a lot of interest in Thor right now but I can already see people overestimating it like GOTG 2. Both Thor and JL have more trailer views on YouTube than SW. I think it's safe to say neither of those films are getting close to it's numbers.

yes, those platform's totals tend to count 10 seconds (or less) of an autoplay as a "view"

Its not as representative as a person choosing to push play on a youtube video or embed.

Google Trends I couldn't tell you, but I was specifically talking about Twitter and Facebook, yes. Their threshold for view counts are significantly lower than YouTube's, and combined with autoplay they can be easily manipulated by heavy ad pushes.

What about shares? JL is significantly ahead in that as well. It also trended much longer than Thor as well.

kswiston

yes, those platform's totals tend to count 10 seconds (or less) of an autoplay as a "view"

Its not as representative as a person choosing to push play on a youtube video or embed.

Facebook was 3 seconds a while back. Not sure if they changed anything. Youtube is 30 seconds I think.

Top Bottom